Need emotional support (and maybe some actual advice)

Wrexham year three now in November in League One. Sitting a point off playoffs.

ive got a 17 year old regen winger who is my best player (I’ll post an pic when I can). Having a terrific year, but just got the dreaded ‘Want’ button from Arsenal. Not interested in new contract (20 months remaining).

His value is $170k. I’m not worried about selling him, that’s the goal and large factor in our ability to balance finances for improved facilities, coaching, etc. I’m worried about board accepting a crap offer this January.

How would you approach? If I can get a third promotion in three years, I think he’d be willing to ink a new deal. That’ll be tough, but doing so is dependent on keeping him through January.

Preventing the leap from Wrexham to Arsenal is going to be a tough call.

Also, it does depend on the player. How good is he? If he's potentially world class, you likely can't hold him. If he isn't, then you may regret not cashing in on him.

Obviously difficult to say from an outside perspective - but you might consider selling, perhaps with a sell-on % of fee clause, for example? Its hard I know. I hate letting good players go as youth development is very much how I play the game, but sometimes it just has to be done. :(

To be honest, I think it is inevitable he will end up at Arsenal, or any of the other top clubs that will probably come in for him as well.

First thing I would do is hit the Transfer Status screen and up the asking price if you can - is he on a youth or professional contract?

You can make it a silly price, Arsenal will low-ball an offer and try and turn his head. 

He will come to you asking why you turned the offer down - you negotiate a price that you agree to accept with the player.

Any negotiation with Arsenal, make sure you get it so the transfer doesn't go through until end of season, or that you loan him back - go for as long as you can on this one.

At least you will then have the money in the bank (Wrexham needs it) and the player still turning out for you during the push for promotion. Plus, your dynamics won;t take a hit.

This has sadly happened to me numerous (7!) times across my current save, a by-product of success having taken FC United into the Premier League!

The one consistent thing I did was reject every single offer for the player and by the end of the xfer window, the clubs - who become bizarrely desperate to sign a guy who'll sit in their reserves - usually end up more than quadrupling their offer! The downside to this is it invariably upsets the guy and can upset the squad, but the situation itself is horrid. Worst time for me was when the board forced me to sell our best striker and then the rest of the team was unhappy with the depth in attack, didn't have anything like the funds or rep to recruit a similar alternative!

The other 'trick' is to add a minimum fee clause, it sadly won't ever be as high as you want, but if you keep it in the 3-5 bracket (at that level) premier league clubs seem far more willing to just pay it and avoid the hassle of negotiating - not a guarantee, but I got 3.5mill for a guy worth <100k doing that

Lastly, one thing i've found is that the guy you lose is often ultra willing to come back on loan afterwards, i've manged to get nearly all of my forced sales back straight away - not ideal but softens the blow a touch!

EDIT: Found it - posted this a few weeks back in feedback - an example from my save of crazy AI around the xfer window;

image.thumb.png.26249ff90c1490e96866a08cbb31a6aa.png

I doubt that you would be able to get £10m for him, but £2-3m would be possible.  If you set the asking price at this level, but then add a large fee for appearances, a large fee for international caps and a very large % of next fee then you can not only get a cash influx now, but get revenue in the future as long as he continues to improve.

The most important thing I would "lock in" regarding negotiations is 50% of next transfer (not profit of next!). I would offer him out at around 10-15 times his value and the clause for 50% and see if there are any takers. Not transfer list or anything like that, just a simple offer out to see what happens. I've had this both work and not, but at least you get a good amount of money and the possibility of a massive payout later on.

ryybalr.png

11 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

Wrexham year three now in November in League One. Sitting a point off playoffs.

ive got a 17 year old regen winger who is my best player (I’ll post an pic when I can). Having a terrific year, but just got the dreaded ‘Want’ button from Arsenal. Not interested in new contract (20 months remaining).

His value is $170k. I’m not worried about selling him, that’s the goal and large factor in our ability to balance finances for improved facilities, coaching, etc. I’m worried about board accepting a crap offer this January.

How would you approach? If I can get a third promotion in three years, I think he’d be willing to ink a new deal. That’ll be tough, but doing so is dependent on keeping him through January.

If the do come in for him it’s inlikly there’ll play him so try and loan him back, put it in the transfer though. Also what XaW said got to get that 50% of next sale.

If arsenal do come in offer him out create a bidding war slowly ask a bit more off every club. I had a player called sego, at hadjuk Split worth £86k sold him to West Ham for £3.5m so that was good business. 

Zidane (Arsenal) just conformed their interest on 11/30. My plan is to offer for $5M, 50% of next sell, loan back, and some international kickers on January 1. I will update when I get there.

Business is done and we think we did well. Lots of offers came through with a touch of drama to drag out process. Big clubs unwilling to meet some of my stipulations oddly enough.

We net $3.5 cash up front, with an additional $700k baked into the next few years ($600k should come through next 18 months). We get the loan back for balance of year and 45% of next sale. Leicester sits 7th in premier league so hopeful we can extend loan into next year too.

Board tried to accept a few offers while he was in negotiations with Wolves and Watford. Had to threaten to quit my job to get them to back off and let me handle business. Upon round two we netted an additional $100k and 5% on sell on fee.

have another 17 year old that we will be going through this with in summer again I fear/hope

D3433099-E2D4-4E80-AEF2-D7F1629F84B1.jpeg

Archived