The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doesn't matter now, as it turns out spurs were still interested in him afterall.

and according to his website southampton and man city were the only other english teams also trying to sign him.

which is strange as i would have thought it would be ideal for curbishly. a 4-5-1 would have suited him as he is tall, strong and a great header of the balls... i.e a Shaun Barlett who can score. plus he was availble on loan which means if it didn't work out no loss, just send him packing.

we need a goal scorer. barlett's great at hold-up play and he's good in the air. but he's not a consistent goalscorer. Jeffers needs more games to get going, but he wont play in a 4-5-1 and curbishly wont change it while it's still working. Johansson is great one match, and then as useful as a chocolate kettle the next. and lisble couldn't hit jordan's boobs with a tennis racket.

we need someone who's 6" plus, has pace, can beat people, good in the air, can hold up the ball and always hit the target.

any idea?

i say we take some DNA from Barlett, Mendonca, Rommadahl (for the pace) and Lisble (because he's alright beating people, he just doesn't know what to do afterwards)

and with these DNA samples we can create a super striker clone icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sivy:

according to the mirror charlton are one of the clubs trying to sign Craig Bellamy on loan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that as it was on the Forever Charlton site. But half the Premiership are 'interested'. Worth a try but could he play as the single striker in a 4-5-1?

yeah he's being linked to every club in the premiership and even a few championship clubs.

so i don't think there's much chance of us getting him. i wouldn't mind though, he's a good player. i don't think he'll fit in to a 4-5-1, so if we did get him curbishly would have to go back to a 4-4-2.

in the mirror today...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has moved ahead in the race for Nottingham Forest defender Michael Dawson with a £3m bid <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sivy:

predictions for the Yeovil game?

i think 3-1 to the addicks \o/ with Bartlett, Murphy and Jeffers scoring. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not far off was I?

anyone read on teletext that Jeffers has "lost faith in Curbishly" and wants to quit the club?

can't see it mentioned anywhere else.

Graham Stuart has gone to norwich. he was a good player for us.

the question is will there be any last minute transfers to come in?

Spurs have made a bid for Dawson so it looks like we'll miss out there.

Nah, I doubt we'll sign anyone

Curbs will have tried, but he doesn't pay over the odds for people so will have missed out

I saw the piece about Jeffers, can't blame him seeing as he scores every game he plays

Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon

predictions for the liverpool match tomorrow?

i think it will be 1-1

Holland will score around about the 30th minutes, then the game will get a scrappy until the 70th minute when Morientes will score an equaliser.

the last 20 minutes will be 'edge of your seat' stuff, but we'll hang on and earn a point.

Charlton v Leicester City in the 5th round of the FA cup

at home again! this could be our year icon_biggrin.gif

in other news, according to skysports

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Charlton Athletic have reportedly failed with a sizeable bid to sign Lens star Olivier Thomert. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that scoreline doesnt actually seem that far off. to be fair i would go with the same, but.... just to be different,

CAFC 2 LIVERPOOL 1

(Holland, Young) (Gerrard)

plus gerrard will nearly score an equaliser which smashes against the post, and we will save another goal on the line. hermann will go close as well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The club made further significant scheduled repayments of its commercial mortgages originally taken out to develop the west and east stands at The Valley and for the acquisition and development of other assets to support our football operations.

These payments reduced indebtedness by £2m to approximately £11m at June 2004. There was little impact from interest-rate increases during the period as this was mitigated by the cash received from player sales. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=21127&newstype=n

Looks as if there is some sort of debt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The group has a bank overdraft facility that is renewed annually. The undrawn committed facility at 30 june 2004 was £2,000,000

At 30th june 2004 the group had the following bank loans

A loan of £1,214,493 at a rate of 7.095%. This is repayable in instalments by march 2007

A loan of £8,532,140 at a floating rate of 1.7% above the base rate. this is repayable in instalments by september 2010.

A loan of 1,215,698 at a floating rate of 2% above base rate. this is repayable in instalments by march 2006

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is supposedly from the balance sheet, its not from the club so theres a chance its not true. Would seem stupid to make something like that up though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

A loan of £1,214,493 at a rate of 7.095%. This is repayable in instalments by march 2007

A loan of 1,215,698 at a floating rate of 2% above base rate. this is repayable in instalments by march 2006

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they might as well pay both of those off with the £3m in the transfer kitty, seeing as it wasn't used.

Euell was worse, he doesn't look like he wants to play for Charlton anymore. I can't see where he would fit into our team either. Euell and Kishishev in the midfield together is just not good enough, especially against Liverpool or any decent team.

2-1 to Liverpool icon_frown.gif

we were 1-0 up for so long i thought we might even win or at least draw.

i knew it would all go downhill as soon as Curbishly brought on Kishishev. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? Kishishev does his job well espcially the spoiler man in a midfield 5 - I was more concerned when Euell came on tbh.

Euell can leave IMO, he just isn't the same player as he was 2 years ago, and even then he wasn't great.

i don't rate Kishishev at all. whenever i see him play i lose count of how many times he gives the ball away. he's a bit clumsy going into challenges sometimes and often fouls. he doesn't make good decisions, the amount of times he's taken a shot at goal from outside the box, when there were plenty of other options. and he hasn't got the best shot in the world, maybe 1 out of 10 might be on target.

ok he does work hard and he is determined, but he’s just not good enough. and i'm sure there's better players in the reserve or youth team than him.

As for Euell, Curbishly should have sold him in the window. tried to get back some of the £4.75m we paid for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FMaddick:

According to the palace chairman Simon Jordan, they put in a £2.75m bid for Euell which ended up being rejected

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what?! why in god's name would Curbishly reject that? surely it's clear to Curbishly that Euell no longer wants to play for us. we wont get that much for him in the summer.

predictions for the Newcastle game?

my last two predictions were short by 1 goal to the opposition, i.e...

Vs Yeovil i predicted 3-1 and it was 3-2

Vs Liverpool i predicted 1-1 and it was 1-2

so i'm going to say that we win by 2-1.

HH will open the scoring with a header from a corner around about the 20th minute.

Newcastle will get a penalty in the 40th minute after a El Karkouri brings down Ameobi in the box (it will be a close call) Shearer will put that away.

then on the counter attack we'll nick it in the 80th minute, a good pass from Murphy for a simple Bartlett tap-in.

so if my trend contiunes it should be 2-2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FMaddick:

According to the palace chairman Simon Jordan, they put in a £2.75m bid for Euell which ended up being rejected

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what?! why in god's name would Curbishly reject that? surely it's clear to Curbishly that Euell no longer wants to play for us. we wont get that much for him in the summer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, most people have said £1-1.5m would be the highest at the most we would probably get for Euell. It would have meant we had at least £6m to spend in the summer.

Guess when he leaves, it'll be for £1m after a transfer request as no one will pay any more for him, but thats how its always worked out when we sell players.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4218241.stm

heres the story:

Newcastle v Charlton

St James' Park

Saturday, 5 February

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team news to follow later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG-MATCH FACTS

* NEWCASTLE UNITED have won two and lost one of their five Premiership games in 2005. Victory over Charlton, could see them rise into the top half of the table, while defeat may result in them slipping to within three places of the relegation zone. The Magpies have won one (v Crystal Palace), drawn one (v Charlton) and lost five of their Premiership games against London opposition so far this season.

* The Tyneside club are the least resilient in the top division. They've lost all eight games in which the opposition have scored first, lost all five in which behind at half time, dropped 22 points (eight draws, two defeats) from ten Premiership matches in which they held the lead, and gained only one point from a match in which they were behind (2-2 away to Birmingham).

* The Toon Army will be hoping to cheer their side to a fourth successive home Premiership victory over Charlton. Last time the Magpies had their sights on a Champions League place when they beat the Londoners 3-1 in March, with a brace from Alan Shearer.

* CHARLTON ATHLETIC had their four match winning run in League and FA Cup ended by Tuesday's 1-2 home loss to Liverpool, but manager Alan Curbishley will be wanting to celebrate his 400th League match in sole charge, with a victory. The Addicks go into this game on a par with their points tally at the equivalent stage last season, when they finished a Premiership best seventh. The match pits the two clubs with the longest scorers lists in the top division this season - Newcastle 16 players, Charlton 13.

* Curbishley is ambitious for his south London outfit to confirm their steady progress over the years by qualification for Europe. But if Uefa Cup football is to be achieved they'll need to improve on an away record of only eight goals scored in 12 matches. Victory at St James' Park could lift them into the top six.

* The Addicks came from behind to maintain their unbeaten home record with a hard-earned 1-1 draw against a battling Newcastle side in the reverse fixture in October. That's the only time this season, the south London club have gained a point from a losing position. Charlton have only recorded one Premiership maximum at St James' Park. That was 0-1 on 23 September 2000, when Graham Stuart got the winner.

Referee:

Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Club stats

Fixtures

12th 30 points

Highest realistically achievable after Saturday's games: 10th

Lowest could fall: 15th

* Boast the longest scorers list in the Premiership. Their 36 goals have been netted by 16 different players (that excludes two own goals).

* Shipped 42 goals in the top division. Only Norwich (47) and West Brom (46) have leaked more.

* Their 25 top flight contests have produced 78 goals (36 for, 42 against). Only Arsenal have a higher aggregate of 84.

* Managed only three clean sheets in this Premiership campaign.

* Scored more goals in the opening 15 minutes of Premiership duels this season than any other club (nine).

* Accrued fewer points after the first 25 outings of a 20-club Premiership season than ever before. The previous lowest was 31 in 1999/2000, when the club eventually finished 11th.

* Won the last two League encounters at St James' Park - both 2-1 (against Birmingham and Southampton).

* Conceded one goal in each of the last five home League matches.

* Managed only clean sheet in home top division duels, and none under Souness.

* Failed to score twice at home in the League this season, and once since the appointment of the manager.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Club stats

Fixtures

7th 37 points

Highest realistically achievable after Saturday's games: 6th

Lowest could fall: 8th

* Drawn four Premiership matches. No other clubs have finished level less often.

* The Premiership's most vulnerable club in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, when a dozen goals have been conceded.

* Failed to win a top flight game this season in which the opposition has scored first (one draw, nine defeats on the 10 occasions it's happened).

* Gained only one point from a losing position.

* Four players have figured in every one of Charlton's Premiership games this season - more than any other club.

* Won three of the last on their travels - all Premiership.

* The next top flight defeat away from home will be the Addicks' 50th all time away from home in the Premier League.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Squad profiles

* Alan SHEARER became the first player to score 250 Premier League goals on Wednesday. He is the most prolific scorer since the League was inaugurated, leading Andrew COLE - now of Fulham - who's second in the list, by a massive 78 goals.

* SHEARER is also two goals shy of 275 in top flight soccer.

* Lee BOWYER began his professional career with Charlton.

* If on the field from the outset, Steve HARPER would be making his 100th club career start.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Squad profiles

* If he participates, Jason EUELL will be playing on in the eve of his 28th birthday.

* Should he figure, Shaun BARTLETT will be making his 100th Premiership appearance - all for Charlton.

* When he next turns out, Mark FISH will be making his 100th Premiership appearance for Athletic.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME:

Newcastle United 3-1 Charlton Athletic

20 March 2004 - Ref: Mike Riley

Newcastle scorers: Shearer 2, Jenas 35, Shearer 77

Charlton scorers: Jensen 54

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE:

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Newcastle United

17 October 2004 - Ref:

Charlton scorers: O'Brien 51 og

Newcastle scorers: Bellamy 39

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

League: Newcastle 29 wins, Charlton 16, Draws 16

Prem: Newcastle 4 wins, Charlton 2, Draws 5

HEAD TO HEAD at Newcastle

League: Newcastle 20 wins, Charlton 7, Draws 3

Prem: Newcastle 3 wins, Charlton 1, Draws 1

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting team against Newcastle

Kiely

Young Perry El Karkouri Hreidarsson

Rommedahl Holland Murphy Kishishev Konchesky

Bartlett

Subs:

Andersen

Euell

Lloyd Sam \o/ finally we might give a reserve a chance!

Johansson

Lisbie

I guess Thomas, Hughes, Fortune and Jeffers might be injured/rested (well not Jeffers obviously), not completely dropped.

Good response icon14.gif

If we don't give him a run this season/start of next, you couldn't blame him for wanting to leave

You've gotta wonder why Curbishley doesn't want one of his most expensive signings on the bench, especially considering he's probably one of our highest earners

Yeah, i watched the game and in the second half it was only a case of poor finihing that cost us. Rommedahl missed 2 one on ones, one he was under pressure though.

And Luke Young had a great chance, it totally openend up for him and if he'd hit it low it would have been a goal.

But not a bad result at all, Souness is in trouble there.

i was happy with a point.

shame that we still went down to 8th.

Rom's goal was great.

but we missed so many chances, which again shows our need for a 15+ goals a season striker.

only then will charlton make the next step into a top 6 club.

"We trained yesterday and lost Franny Jeffers, Jon Fortune, Mark Fish and Bryan Hughes and Jerome Thomas is ill, so five of our squad are out," <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

must of been a rough training session.

Leicester next week,

i thnk it will be 2-0 with Rom getting another one and Jeffers coming off the bench to get the second.

Archived