Defending Corners

Hiya, basically I cant defend a corner for the life of me! Im managing Leeds, 3rd season, 7th midway through the season. Playing very well, just a very high percentage of goals conceded are from corners. I have tried different corner set ups, alot of training, defending corners, aerial defence, defending wide with no improvement. I have nick pope in goal who has a command of area 19, 

Is there any corner set up thats bomb proof. any other advice? thanks 

None that are bomb-proof I'm afraid.

But in what way are you conceding from corners?

Corner dropping in 6yd box and headers?

Corners to far post/near post?

2nd ball goals?

Without deeper analysis it's hard to offer any more than this:

One thing I often do, when I get Next Opposition reports is look at their set piece deliveries - you can often see a favoured delivery method - near/far post etc. I will tweak my defending routine to accomodate this, with the better headers/bigger players set be in the area the ball is expected.

My best results have been with pulling the guys off the posts and stacking the box with a guy in all 5 positions. My best 2 defenders mark tall, with another just man marking. Then 1 guy on the edge for clean up, and 1 guy looking to counter (mainly to force them to defend).

1 hour ago, Brads-Wigan said:

Mostly conceding from within the 6 yard box. Do people sucessfully zonal mark six yard area? Or prefer man marking, marking tallest etc...

I will have most if not all the zonally areas covered so yes - I also take player off the posts.

Again, by checking the opposition report you can shift your players around all the zonally marked position. 

There is no definite recipe for defending corners (and set-pieces in general), as it depends on the type of your players (how tall/short/good in the air they are on average). My usual approach is to have my aerially most dominant centre-back man-marking a tall player, while another one either also man-marks somebody or zonally protects the 6-yard box centre. Another good jumper zonally marks the 6-yard box near centre, and somebody is also in charge of the 6-yrd box far centre. Standing on the near post is a player with an average aerial ability but good bravery, concentration and anticipation. The far post is marked by someone with good positioning, concentration (and preferably bravery as well). A small player is marked by someone who isn't particularly tall and good in the air, but has other defensive attributes (marking, tackling, concentration...), usually a DM. The best creator and passer is on the edge of area. And of course, the player that is least useful (a small and fast striker/winger) stays forward.

More or less, something like this:

NP        FP

6YNC   6YC   6YFC

MT     MM     MS

EA

SF

Sometimes I also have a player zonally marking the far post area instead of one of the 2 man-markers:

NP      FP

6YNC   6YC   6YFC    ZFP

MT      MS

EA

SF

Btw, you can also create a successful routine without anyone on the posts (or one of them), as Rashidi already demonstrated in his videos.

Archived