Contributing wages. Unhappy player.

Hey Guys, 

Im sure you know the story. A back up player complains that he is not getting enough playing opportunities. We have several chats but this makes him unhappy at how I handled the situation. Long story short he ends up on the transfer list, an offer is made and I accept. He agrees a contact with the new club but I have to contribute about one third of his wages. 

Would you guys say this is worth it? 

I get a good price for the player but have to contribute some of his wages to stop him affecting the rest of the dressing room with his unrest. 

Thanks. 

Distonio

Whether it is worth it or not is up to you.

You need to balance the income from the transfer, with the ongoing cost of wages, and then value it against the potential unrest he could cause. 

It's worth bearing in mind that the contribution only continues as long as his contract with you would have lasted. So if only a year left, you only pay the contribution for that year.

You have still ended up with cash in the bank, and 70% of his wages back in the budget to spend on new players.

I just had to do the same. Started a save with a 33 year old striker, declining physicals, first team status, highest wages at the club, looked like he should do well but just couldn't hit the back of the net. 

Couldn't sell him or loan him because of his wage demands. Had a offer where I contribute 30%. 

Now I can play a young kid with potential and free up the wage budget. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Snorks:

It's worth bearing in mind that the contribution only continues as long as his contract with you would have lasted. So if only a year left, you only pay the contribution for that year.

Wait what?! Really?!
I thought it's as long as the deal he signs with the new club to get an agreement for higher wage demands? Can anyone confirm this cause that would change anything.

56 minutes ago, BadanieLuck said:

Wait what?! Really?!
I thought it's as long as the deal he signs with the new club to get an agreement for higher wage demands? Can anyone confirm this cause that would change anything.

Yeah I would like to know this too! 

Can anyone confirm? 

Distonio

16 minutes ago, cris182 said:

It is for the time he had/has remaining on his deal with you only as that is a contract he could see out at your club

Just now, Baodan said:

I can confirm that you only pay wage for the rest of the contract the player had with you.

I did a couple of tests in FM18 and it checks out.

This is ground breaking stuff. I can't believe I didn't know this. Thanks!

Well that's good to know and definitely changes my approach with selling certain players, but that seems completely unlogical to me.

1. Why would a club that wants to sign my player offer that? They don't gain anything from that financially, expect when it reduces the wage demands of said player, which brings me to point 2.

2. How do they know that my player wants that? They are not allowed to talk to my player until an agreement between the clubs has been reached. Are they just guessing or what?

Edited by BadanieLuck

2 hours ago, BadanieLuck said:

Well that's good to know and definitely changes my approach with selling certain players, but that seems completely unlogical to me.

1. Why would a club that wants to sign my player offer that? They don't gain anything from that financially, expect when it reduces the wage demands of said player, which brings me to point 2.

2. How do they know that my player wants that? They are not allowed to talk to my player until an agreement between the clubs has been reached. Are they just guessing or what?

Logically it should be based on players' existing contract. Club A would ask Club B a wage contribution if Club A couldn't afford to match the contract Club B had with the player but Club B was desperate to get rid of them (transfer listed for low or no value) 

IRL it's something clubs negotiate when one club is desperate to get rid of a massively overpaid player, but the overpaid player is tempted to stick around until the end of their contract because all the clubs bidding for them are only willing to offer smaller wages. Cheaper to pay 30% of the wages to get rid of someone than 100% to have them stick around like a bad smell. 

But FM can do weird stuff like offering a transfer fee and asking for you to contribute some of it towards wages, when a more sensible offer would be to bid less and pay the player a bigger signing on fee.

4 hours ago, BadanieLuck said:

Say the player will sign for 100,000 per week, the buying club can only spare 70k pw from their budget. Selling club agrees to pay 30k for the next 12 months so the buyer can offload players to free up budget. Player still gets his 100k pw and I don't think he cares where it comes from as long as it all ends up in his bank account.

They take an educated guess at what the player will accept (see your own scout reports) and go from there. I have never done a tesat t ocheck, but I have a feeling you end up paying the percentage of the wage you were paying him anyway. As I said - the player doesn't care where the money comes from, it's a useful tool you can use to get rid of unwanted players.

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

But FM can do weird stuff like offering a transfer fee and asking for you to contribute some of it towards wages, when a more sensible offer would be to bid less and pay the player a bigger signing on fee.

It's a way of spreading the cost. They can bid a higher amount knowing that a portion of that amount is coming back every week and it allows them to afford the wages of a player they wouldn't be able to anyway. The signing on fee requires money in the bank and comes from the buying club.

The player isn't involved in the wage contribution negotiations.  It's simply a way the seller  can make the deal more affordable for the buyer.

19 minutes ago, Snorks said:

It's a way of spreading the cost. They can bid a higher amount knowing that a portion of that amount is coming back every week and it allows them to afford the wages of a player they wouldn't be able to anyway. The signing on fee requires money in the bank and comes from the buying club.

The player isn't involved in the wage contribution negotiations.  It's simply a way the seller  can make the deal more affordable for the buyer.

If you've got the money in the bank to pay a £5m up front transfer fee (and ask for £2m back as wage payments over time) you've got the money in the bank to pay a £3m transfer fee and £2m signing on fee.

Plus the issue here isn't the seller trying to negotiate it (which might just about make sense if you desperately need £5m up front to cover a transfer or pay a bill) but with the buyer offering it as if they hope the seller isn't paying too much attention to how much of that fee they won't get to keep. Wouldn't be surprised to find that £5m and you pay half of it back in wages bids triggers some of the "you promised to sell me for £5m" player shenanigans too.

12 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

If you've got the money in the bank to pay a £5m up front transfer fee (and ask for £2m back as wage payments over time) you've got the money in the bank to pay a £3m transfer fee and £2m signing on fee.

Plus the issue here isn't the seller trying to negotiate it (which might just about make sense if you desperately need £5m up front to cover a transfer or pay a bill) but with the buyer offering it as if they hope the seller isn't paying too much attention to how much of that fee they won't get to keep. Wouldn't be surprised to find that £5m and you pay half of it back in wages bids triggers some of the "you promised to sell me for £5m" player shenanigans too.

Up to you whether or how you use it. I am looking at it from a seller point of view - I have never added it in to a deal if I was trying to buy a player. Actually, I have never added it to a selling negotiation either, it's always been put in by the buyer.

As a seller in your example, I have an offer of 5m to my club, some of which will be paid back over time, Or, 3mil to my club and the other 2mil going to the player? Not too difficult a decision to make.

I have only ever viewed it as an optional clause and use it in the same way a sell-on fee or appearances/achievement fee can sometimes tip the balance and get an unwanted player off the books with some revenue back to my club. 

Edited by Snorks

1 minute ago, Snorks said:

Up to you whether or how you use it. I am looking at it from a seller point of view - I have never added it in to a deal if I was trying to buy a player.

As a seller in your example, I have an offer of 5m to my club, some of which will be paid back over time, Or, 3mil to my club and the other 2mil going to the player? Not too difficult a decision to make.

Well both of them mean you get to keep £3m and the player gets to keep £2m (ignoring implications for tax and investment)

It's just that one of them you get suckered into thinking you get more because the fee looks higher...

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Well both of them mean you get to keep £3m and the player gets to keep £2m (ignoring implications for tax and investment)

It's just that one of them you get suckered into thinking you get more because the fee looks higher...

Not getting suckered into anything here, but thanks for your input.

Use it as you see fit.

I'm constantly contributing some of the player's wages to the buying club. It's part of my new strategy for selling unwanted players. I don't mess about trying to extract as much value any more, I find it an exercise in frustration management.

Now I transfer list them for cheap and also offer out to clubs with me contributing 30 odd percent of their wages. ESPECIALLY if they're in the last year of their contract. I get instant offers and get the sale done quickly. Instead of countless "there are no offers for this player" emails and incrementally lowering their price. Waste of time IMO when I'm never going to get their value anyway. 

This was doubly true for a youth player who I thought I was offering 2,500 a week. I didn't realize until about a month later that I'd accidentally put him on 250k a week! Needless to say I was contributing the lion's share of his wages when I finally moved him on!

Edited by puffascruffowitz

8 hours ago, steakfaced said:

On the other side, has anyone EVER had a bid like this accepted? I've seen players listed for 1-2 years and when i ask them to pay the wages 0% of the time is it accepted..

Yes as Newcastle i was able to buy transfer listed players from the big 5 with them paying a small amount (20k) or so of the wage. That was enough to get the wage down and me sign them 

Does the wage contribution stay on my wage bill? Does it come out of the transfer fee?

I sold Danny Welbeck to Newcastle for 15M upfront and 30M over two installments, with a wage contribution of 2.72M per season. 

The news item said 17.5M will be added to my transfer budget.

On the Finances -> Wages -> Salary Commitments page, Welbeck's wages are not listed (nor Mustafi or Mkhitaryan's, whom I also sold with wage contributions).

However, on the Transfer -> Clauses page, I do see the amount there.

19 hours ago, Harper said:

Does the wage contribution stay on my wage bill? Does it come out of the transfer fee?

I sold Danny Welbeck to Newcastle for 15M upfront and 30M over two installments, with a wage contribution of 2.72M per season. 

The news item said 17.5M will be added to my transfer budget.

On the Finances -> Wages -> Salary Commitments page, Welbeck's wages are not listed (nor Mustafi or Mkhitaryan's, whom I also sold with wage contributions).

However, on the Transfer -> Clauses page, I do see the amount there.

It continues coming out of your wage contribution, I believe, until his contract with you would have ended.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys.  Anybody know the filter for searching for loan players where clubs do not require a wage contribution?  i.e I need to see which clubs are willing to loan me their players for free. (Southend don't exactly have a thriving wage budget!).

There must be a filter rather than me getting my hopes up when I think I've found a player I want only to be told it's 100% or nothing!

Thanks in advance.

Sam