Analysis Confusion

I wonder if someone can help clear this up for me once and for all.

When reading the opposition assists graph below it indicated that they concede alot of assists on the right hand side of the pitch.  To me this means that I should focus my play on the left hand side flank to take advantage of this as my team is the opposite way round to them on the graph so there rhs is my lhs as I attack.

This is how I have always interpreted the information on previous FM's

14e6pag.png

However, one of my assistants is saying the opposite and that I should target their LHS as they are weakest there, when in assist purposes they obviously are not - unless I am reading the graph incorrectly or the person giving the advice isn't saying that they are weakest in conceding assists there and weak in another area which he isnt telling me

351bc5y.png

Can someone advise and confirm that I am reading the graphs right and that I should be attcking the LHS flank to take advantage of the weakness of conceding assists as now I am confused if I am and if you should be reversing your team on the image when working out which flank to attack when it shows the weakest

15 minutes ago, wazza said:

I wonder if someone can help clear this up for me once and for all.

When reading the opposition assists graph below it indicated that they concede alot of assists on the right hand side of the pitch.  To me this means that I should focus my play on the left hand side flank to take advantage of this as my team is the opposite way round to them on the graph so there rhs is my lhs as I attack.

This is how I have always interpreted the information on previous FM's

14e6pag.png

However, one of my assistants is saying the opposite and that I should target their LHS as they are weakest there, when in assist purposes they obviously are not - unless I am reading the graph incorrectly or the person giving the advice isn't saying that they are weakest in conceding assists there and weak in another area which he isnt telling me

351bc5y.png

Can someone advise and confirm that I am reading the graphs right and that I should be attcking the LHS flank to take advantage of the weakness of conceding assists as now I am confused if I am and if you should be reversing your team on the image when working out which flank to attack when it shows the weakest

Two things about stats and analysis: 

1. The stats are based on what has happened before, cumulatively. They don't predict the future.  

2. The stats take no account of context. 

So, if for X number of matches, your opposition were prone to attacks from that side match after match, it will build up a statistical trend pointing out a weakness that will remain in the numbers until a long sequence without that weakness dilutes the stat.  But the weakness might have disappeared long before that dilution occurs.

For example...

• Maybe the manager has just changed his tactical approach to rectify the problem, so that side is no longer a weakness.
  • Maybe the star fullback on that side was injured, but now he's fit again.
  • Or maybe the fullback on the other side is now injured, and he's been replaced with a 16-year-old prospect, making the other side even more prone to attack, hence the advice you've received...
  • Or a million other reasons - you get the point. 

You can't follow stats blindly.  If you are committed to using them, you're going to have to spend a lot of time interpreting them based on appropriate context.

I'm kind of an analytical person, but when it comes to FM - and football generally - I tend to look for the broad strokes rather than get bogged down with this kind of detail.   

Archived