Tactics inspired by Ajax 18/19?

Been watching some Ajax games recently purely because of the number of exciting talents, but I´ve fallen in love with the way Erik ten Hag sets out his team to play.

I´ve tried to replicate this but due to my lack of understanding of the ME I haven´t succeeded yet, so my question is:

Is there anyone who has tried to replicate their way of playing this year and that would be willing to share with the rest of us here? 

I really tried to replicate Frenkie De Jongs role (read https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/ajax-tactical-analysis-statistics for example), but it's really hard. The only DM role that drops between the CBs is the Half Back and this has nothing to do with the dribbling force Frenkie is. Even a DLP-D isn't possible cuz u can't add dribble more as an instruction and it's hard to be not open on defense with a DLP-S as the most defensive central player in front of the CBs. I'll try him as a BPD as a Stopper with Dribble more and Press more, but it has nothing to do with his role he plays in defense. Even harder it is to replicate their 4-2-3-1 tbh, as I hate the general shape of it (even with a CM-D you're pretty open for counter attacks) and Frenkie's role is impossible to replicate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2018 at 14:36, sigurdandreas said:

Been watching some Ajax games recently purely because of the number of exciting talents, but I´ve fallen in love with the way Erik ten Hag sets out his team to play.

I´ve tried to replicate this but due to my lack of understanding of the ME I haven´t succeeded yet, so my question is:

Is there anyone who has tried to replicate their way of playing this year and that would be willing to share with the rest of us here? 

Its one here:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/12/2018 at 14:06, KI Heynckes said:

I really tried to replicate Frenkie De Jongs role (read https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/ajax-tactical-analysis-statistics for example), but it's really hard. The only DM role that drops between the CBs is the Half Back and this has nothing to do with the dribbling force Frenkie is. Even a DLP-D isn't possible cuz u can't add dribble more as an instruction and it's hard to be not open on defense with a DLP-S as the most defensive central player in front of the CBs. I'll try him as a BPD as a Stopper with Dribble more and Press more, but it has nothing to do with his role he plays in defense. Even harder it is to replicate their 4-2-3-1 tbh, as I hate the general shape of it (even with a CM-D you're pretty open for counter attacks) and Frenkie's role is impossible to replicate.

Hey you can try to put him like a Regista. In that role, the player drop between central defenders and run with ball often but he let some holes in the defense. So I can share you my tactic of that.

First, for the Tadic role it's trequartista in (AM) I found that he works like in the real life if you teach him the PPM gets further forward whenever as possible and gets into opposition area. I think Van de Beek it's a Shadow striker. And that it's my problem because I have trouble to defend properly to avoid counterattacks. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would try first something like this.

lineup(2).thumb.png.4980d2dcb4d365d775a016c006475de8.png

There are several facets that are difficult to replicate exactly, so we can approximate them. De Jong in the DLP(D) position (or you could have him in the DMC level as a DLP(S)). Here he will drop deeper to pick up the ball. Maybe a PPM such as "comes deep to get ball" and "runs with ball through middle" would help recreate his play. The other midfielder needs to be available for a pass, and usually starts deep before moving forward. A CM(S) does this, and is also solid enough defensively. Build up play often has supporting wing backs for Ajax, so WB(S) will see them get forward, but not too quickly. They will be available for the pass on the other side of any press.

The two wingers are likely inside forwards. They also probably swap positions with each other to create a bit of variety in the attack (to make up for symmetrical flanks, use players). I'd give one an attack duty, for some variation. On the left makes most sense with a DLP(D) there).

Tadic and Van der Beek play off each other, creating space for each other and linking up. This suggests a support striker and an attacking midfielder. I would go for DLF(S) + SS(A), but you could play. Give the SS(A) roam from position so he can do many things. He will be super important in this team (as he is in Ajax). Make sure the striker is moving into channels. The movement of the front 4 here could really destroy teams if you get it right.

Ajax press high and heavy, With their front 4 players, and often with their wing backs. This is super high risk in FM where the press isn't as easy as real life. So see what you can do. High pressing line, high closing down for players you want to close down. Take your pick at the mentality, since it would change depending on who you play (Madrid and VVV would be approached very differently). You can add whatever other TIs you want, if you think it helps. I'd start with these basics and build from there.

Archived