A new feature/mode

Ever wanted to play against the legendary AC Milan during the late 80’s? Ever wanted to make sure that Wenger’s Invincibles never excisted? Have you ever wanted to play as Real Madrid and have a squad with Man Utd’s Class of ‘92? I do! 

I would like to see a game mode or mod which allows us to pick a certain date and start from there! I think it would be perfect DLC for Sports Interactive, just buy the datapack from the decade you want to play?! 

What are your thoughts? Would you like a mode like this?

This has been suggested many times before but I doubt it'll ever be implemented into FM. For starters, it would require lots of research on SI's part - even to cover only a few leagues over a short-ish timespan - and I'd imagine there'd be legal obstacles to overcome as well.

4 minutes ago, CFuller said:

This has been suggested many times before but I doubt it'll ever be implemented into FM. For starters, it would require lots of research on SI's part - even to cover only a few leagues over a short-ish timespan - and I'd imagine there'd be legal obstacles to overcome as well.

On the research front, they have the advantage of having access to 20+ years of previous games complete with player research.

As far as rights go, I'm sure it wouldn't be any more difficult than it is right now.

You can sort of emulate this kind of game already with community databases, though I must admit I haven't researched them for 2019 to see if any good ones are around.

1 minute ago, AndreTheShadow said:

On the research front, they have the advantage of having access to 20+ years of previous games complete with player research.

As far as rights go, I'm sure it wouldn't be any more difficult than it is right now.

You can sort of emulate this kind of game already with community databases, though I must admit I haven't researched them for 2019 to see if any good ones are around.

I don't think it's as simple as that. As far as I'm aware, SI only hold licences for the current season, so it's not as if they can use data for the 2015/2016 season in a contemporary game just like that.

12 minutes ago, AndreTheShadow said:

In my post I don't want to knock you down as your suggestion in your OP would make me deleriously happy :)

However with respect to the research front, its not that simple. In some of the old databases, I'm not always sure the methodology re. collecting attributes etc. is as robust as it is now. I also recall seeing a Youtube video where someone had used old data and edited the database of a modern FM game. I can't recall the details but IIRC it produced odd results. Attributes from older versions of FM are made for those MEs, not the modern MEs. Hence if we simply transported old data, we may end up with a disappointing experience.

Would be a fantastic addition, but the work involved would be massive.

Just do the maths, even for just the Premier League era, every player that ever played or came close to playing n the Prem, over the last 20 years. Plus every club, every league - even limiting it to just the English game would be absolutely massive for the sheer amount of data required, let alone making it compatible and bug-free with the current ME.

It would be a massive amount of work for SI to implement it properly.

And that's not even taking into account any changes that would need to be made to the match engine for each era. A Premier League match from 1993 looks very different - and plays very differently - to a PL match from 2018.

Now cue someone quipping that FM19's ME already looks like it was made in 1993. :p

The only reason this hasn't been done must be licensing.  The research can be done (to an acceptable level) and the ME would be the same as today.  People would (probably) buy it, so there must be an outside influence preventing it.

1 hour ago, Flashman said:

The only reason this hasn't been done must be licensing.  The research can be done (to an acceptable level) and the ME would be the same as today.  People would (probably) buy it, so there must be an outside influence preventing it.

I am sure there's a licensing issue but imagine the research involved?

There is so much going on each season, for one season, multiply that by 20+ seasons and halve it (to be generous ) that' ten seasons worth of research at the current level. The drain on resources would be immense for a small studio like SI.

There are some fan-made DBs out there that do this sort of thing, but honestly, I don't think it would be commercially viable for SI even if they had all the necessary licenses.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Snorks said:

I am sure there's a licensing issue but imagine the research involved?

A bit of both I'm sure. Something similar was actually planned 20 years ago, I think. I remember if you had one of the CM2 versions (I forget which), it did hype a "Championship Manager All-Stars" version, which obviously never saw the light of day. I assume for legal / research reasons. :( 

The research is so indepth this days doing something historical to any degree of accuracy would be extremely difficult if not impossible. 

FIFPro license which FM currently has also doesn't cover players no longer playing I believe, so it would get prohibitively expensive to get the necessary rights to put players in.

This exists in games like FHM (hockey) and OOTP (baseball), but those sports (in those games' historical versions) are limited to the major leagues (and direct feeder leagues) like NHL and MLB, thus the "world" is much, much smaller. For football, it's not only England (or UK, or even Europe), it's pretty much all around the globe. And one single league, like the English, contains about 90 teams (not including "non league"), which is triple the size of MLB or NHL, that's England alone. For it to be any good, you'd need at least the major European and South American leagues, as they've been pretty important for the past 100 years, so that's 10-15 leagues alone, with complete league structures (which probably is a nightmare of it's own, thinking of all the changes that has been), with players from an additional 30-50 countries. The sheer amount of data would be enormous, the research job would be so massive that it's hard to contemplate. Because you'd better have the research good from the start, or you can imagine the crying about wrong attributes for Pelé, Maradona, Puskas, Best, George, McLintock, Cruyff, Lato, Kocsis, Yashin and so on, not to speak of the "lesser" talent..

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:32, Yoericfc said:

What are your thoughts? Would you like a mode like this?

It seems like a very niche thing and I doubt it would be worth the effort for SI. I have no interest in something like this.

Archived