Youth intake - how do you handle it?

Youth intake is something I've always kind of ignored as I mainly play LLM. I sign the advised players to take on, take a veryyy brief look through them, and then continue on with my first team. I usually don't seriously consider any of them until I either need them through injury, or one of them really stands out immediately. 

What way do you guys go about your youth intake? Is there anything I could be doing that would help?

I sign 1-3 best youngster per year from youth intake to avoid crowding youth team and overloading youth coaches. Try to keep at least one full youth lineup for my tactics. Annoy board to upgrade youth recruiting twice a year. That's pretty much all. :)

Edited by Xeewaj Q.

hace 10 minutos, Whalix dijo:

Youth intake is something I've always kind of ignored as I mainly play LLM. I sign the advised players to take on, take a veryyy brief look through them, and then continue on with my first team. I usually don't seriously consider any of them until I either need them through injury, or one of them really stands out immediately. 

What way do you guys go about your youth intake? Is there anything I could be doing that would help?

for LLM you are kind of doing it right, sign any 1 or 2 stars players (look at the stats, some of this players can come with very bad stat spreads), they can help you with depth, and if somehow you get stuck in say, League 1 this players can grow to become first team players in the future, do notice that most of them develop slowly at 15-16 age so unless they are good enough to be backup or have an injury crisis don't play them, youth intakes are normally serious business thing to notice after you reach championship, since by that time you start getting Premier League Potential players they can either be sold, or be the base to reach Top Flight in a 3-5 years plan

im still playing my 17 save with a player from my first championship Intake and he is now captain and England team regular, he is 32 tho so he is near retirement he do helped me a lot to reach premier league with a 20-20 Goal-assist season and in the premier he has lifted the league 2 times and the Europa League 2 times...too bad we lost 2 CL finals in a row

In a normal Lower League career (at a part-time or amateur level), few youth intake prospects are of much use to you as you don't have the coaches or facilities to train them well. If you get an exceptional one with high starting CA who can go straight into your first team squad you're lucky, or if you get a 5* PA who might be poached for decent money by a bigger club along the line, but these should appear once in a blue moon. Mostly, you're living hand-to-mouth knowing that if you have any half-decent youngish player, he'll be offski soon enough.

If you give yourself a Youth Academy challenge where you cannot bring in outside players and are forced to work with your hapless youth intake, or do what I do and use the pre-game editor to make all your starting squad with CA1, the youth intake suddenly becomes very exciting indeed!

Interesting to hear what others do with it.

I am not far enough into FM19 yet to really look into youths, but in FM18, it all depended on what level I was playing at, the facilities I had and the finances of the club.

At the top end of the game, I would aim to fill every position in the u18s with two players, so would sign Intakes by position and PA, then poach some good 16 yr olsd to fill the gaps. Review them all when they got too old for u18s, and fill the u23s with two for each position.  In EPL or Seria A I want my u18s to win silverware, my u20s/u23s to win silverware and my first team to win silverware.

Lower, mid-level teams, I would look at PA, personality and professionalism and categorise each player as "Potential First Team for me' 'Revenue generator' 'Waste of Space'. Without the ability to poach youngsters form other clubs I would tend to sign most of not all the intake guys. With average or above facilities and staff,  I would monitor their progress over two years and decide whether I should keep them with a view to my first team, sell them to raise funds, or just let them go.

Bottom-level teams, if they don't bring anything to benefit the first team, or won't in the next couple of years, I tend to let the HoYD deal with it all. Just keep half an eye out myself. Any expenditure in Vanarama goes on improving the first team squad.

With low budgets (really low level semi-pro stuff) I maybe sign 1 or 2 prospects.

I'm playing in German Div 3 right now, and I do try to have a couple players (even if not great) just to help make sure my youth teams play decently well (good for morale which can help development). I'm about to secure promotion which means I tend to want 1 player (many still just Youth players that are quite cheap) in each position. Once I have that, I'll replace them with new intake members that overtake the less developed ones. Sometimes I'll scout and poach youth from other academies to fill gaps if I see some decent prospects on younger teams.

Big bias to kids with good personalities and good attributes that don't develop very well (determination, bravery, aggression).

In FM 18, I would always get an annual intake of 16.  Normally I keep them for 2-3 months, get a coach report and then bin about half of them

I had one cracker that my HoYD went out of his way to take credit for and I had a quick look and his CA was 32 and his PA was only 44!!  Goodness knows what the HoYD wanted to do with such an enormous talent!

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

In FM 18, I would always get an annual intake of 16.  Normally I keep them for 2-3 months, get a coach report and then bin about half of them

I had one cracker that my HoYD went out of his way to take credit for and I had a quick look and his CA was 32 and his PA was only 44!!  Goodness knows what the HoYD wanted to do with such an enormous talent!

He took credit for his personality, not his PA/CA.

Personally I handle youth intake in one simple and significant way: b a d l y

I line them up and shoot anyone with low determination, to avoid the club average personality get effected. Any top PA player I put on a 8 year full contract for laughable wages.

I would love to have 25+ youth teams, but the intake is crap and with brexit I can't sign any young players, so nothing left to do than handle it min/max style.

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Maybe he was inviting you to sack him on the spot?

4 hours ago, Miravlix said:

He took credit for his personality, not his PA/CA.

Personally I handle youth intake in one simple and significant way: b a d l y

I line them up and shoot anyone with low determination, to avoid the club average personality get effected. Any top PA player I put on a 8 year full contract for laughable wages.

I would love to have 25+ youth teams, but the intake is crap and with brexit I can't sign any young players, so nothing left to do than handle it min/max style.

How do you get an 8 year contract with a youth intake dude? 

Mine all have a maximum duration you can offer.

Constantly bug the board for upgrades!

I've had 1 useful player come through in 3 seasons so far, but that is partly helped by starting in Segunda B4 where cack players can get a game.

I sign then best few with high potential according to coach reports, i assume this gets the AI interested for profiteering 

During my Tamworth save I had a 17 year old regen who was club captain. He was an absolute beast and most definitely would have been sold to bigger clubs within 1-2 seasons. 

In my current Lancaster City save, I have a 17 year old winger who is cutting the mustard at NPL level. He's not quite as good as Mr. Tamworth but he's been in fine form. 

I generally get lucky with youth intake. I've had some pearlers.

I sign every player in the intake

I then check 4 times a season on the performances and improvements of each player

Any player that looks good, gets to move up to third choice in their position.

Playing youth only, you need as many players as you can get

15 hours ago, private pyle said:

And then have them moan every week asking for a new contract that matches their ability

unless they are a cut and dried wonderkid I am wary of long contracts to youth intake. I tend to go with the age group teams + 1year. So a 15 yr old, gets four years, long enough to play u1s until he is too old, then a year in the u23s to see how he develops.

Rarely, unless I am in the lower league/no u23s, do anyone under the age 1 get in my first team - unless the CA is already high enough

2 hours ago, Snorks said:

unless they are a cut and dried wonderkid I am wary of long contracts to youth intake. I tend to go with the age group teams + 1year. So a 15 yr old, gets four years, long enough to play u1s until he is too old, then a year in the u23s to see how he develops.

Rarely, unless I am in the lower league/no u23s, do anyone under the age 1 get in my first team - unless the CA is already high enough

Yeah, I rarely let newborn toddlers play in my first team as well :lol::p

I used to set a cut-off of potential below which they wouldn't get signed, but then I realised that sometimes the reports on youth intake day over/under-estimate someone and a good one can slip through your grasp. I mostly just sign all the recommended players and let them at least see out their youth contracts now. 

Any 3* potential players get tagged.  That includes black stars.  So I add, for example, YP19A1 after the name.  YP means youth product.  19 means the year they came through.  A means the best player, according to my HoYD, from that season.  The 1 means the number of tagged youth products in the game.  So “David Miller YP25F38” would mean David Miller is a youth product who came through the academy in the year 2025.  He was the sixth best prospect of that year and the 38th prospect of 3* PA or higher since the save began.

It sounds complicated but I can get the information in need at a glance.

Will only comment on fm19 youth intake and as I've only got that far in a season with EFC I take them all and let them develop, but have done something  I've never done before in any fm youth intake, I managed to terminate a contract after 1 week of training, because after first U18 training report one kid was 6.05 next worst 7.15 so I had a word about working hard to reach potential, he gave my lip saying he would do alright, so without even checking his potential I terminated contract, and guess what he only had 1.5 * potential, blacked out 2*, cheeky little */?@>, almost ready for next intake following season, he's still without a club.

If managing lower down I look at them all and cherry pick who I want.

3 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I used to set a cut-off of potential below which they wouldn't get signed, but then I realised that sometimes the reports on youth intake day over/under-estimate someone and a good one can slip through your grasp. I mostly just sign all the recommended players and let them at least see out their youth contracts now. 

Yeah, I would liek to sign them all, but sometimes budget restricts. I would rather let four or five 'unsure PA' guys go if it means I have 500pw to pay a new signing CM for the first team.

11 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Yeah, I would liek to sign them all, but sometimes budget restricts. I would rather let four or five 'unsure PA' guys go if it means I have 500pw to pay a new signing CM for the first team.

Oh yeah that's fair enough, I rarely manage at a low enough level to have that dilemma though. Lowest division where I've actually made it far enough in to get a youth intake was League 2.

11 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Oh yeah that's fair enough, I rarely manage at a low enough level to have that dilemma though. Lowest division where I've actually made it far enough in to get a youth intake was League 2.

Even down there, that 500 quid in the wage budget can be more valuable than 5 'maybes' in the youth team. definitely the higher up the ladder the more money you can afford to invest in the youth.