Greatest FM myths

The Moderators are paid employees of SI
The Mod Team only close threads that are critical of SI
Closing down the game on a long winning or losing run will immediately change your fortunes
The AI cheats
The AI managers have access to more info that the human managers
Feedback threads are ignored by the developers

The CCC stat is meant to be an objective measure of chance quality.

CCCs represent a ~80%+ chance of scoring.

All CCCs are equal opportunity.

FM's attribute system rates football players from barely pub level (1) to invincible (20) scale.

A forward with composure decisions 20 means he will barely ever miss.
A forward with finishing composure decisions 1 means he will barely ever score.

Strikers are artificially nerfed to pub team levels so that scorelines will remain realistic.
Keepers are beefed to invincible levels so that scorelines will remain realistic.

The game punishes teams if they have too any shots so that scorelines remain realistic.

If you want to score more goals, you should aim to have not too many shots.

The AI is this deadly that they score every time they go forward.

Human players generally need far more shots to score.

Garry Gazhammer has finally cracked the game.

Losing a few matches means your tactics isn't working.

Winning a few matches means your tactics is working.

If you have more shots than the opposition, your tactics is working.

If you have fewer shots than the opposition, your tactics isn't working.

If your tactic isn't working, the game arbitrarily shows this to you by having your world clarse forwards miss the simplest of chances, and your world class defenders committing the most stupid mistakes.

If our tactic is working, the game arbitrarily shows this to you by having your average forwards score everything, and your average defenders clearing it over and over.

Any match play you get to see is just an approximization/representation of what the game's engine calculates in general.

The goal of any tactic is to have more shots than the opposition.

If your team had fewer shots and won a match, it was lucky.

If your team had more shots and lost a match, it was unlucky.

Football teams don't actually NEED any protection to their backline.

One on ones are the most simple chances you can have.

Praising teams at half time is a trap!

Always slamming teams after a loss at full time is good management.

If you keep your squad's morale high, you will be invincible.

If you have keep your squad morale low, prepare for the worst.

The gamem should be called Tactics Manager.

The game should be called Team Talk Manager.

The game should be called Morale Manager.

And a couple other classics:

Some matches you cannot win even after 30 reloads.

Selling the forward barely averaging 2 attempts in the box from open play per match for not scoring in ten matches is world class football management.

If a vocal majority thinks of something as an issue, it is by definition, an issue.

Vice versa for the minority.

@forameuss 'tis true, but also unfortunate in a sense. There is a difference between winning and roughly understanding why you win on any game. However, FM tends to take this to another level, which is in parts caused by what it tries to recreate/simulate... :D

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/science/soccer-a-beautiful-game-of-chance.html

SI cannot provide access to past patches/BETA and force players to play the updated game when many players prefer 'older patches'. It is a myth, since users can save the steam folder after every update and replace the steam folder, but I guess that is too difficult for SI to do!

4 minutes ago, Geordieboy52 said:

Remember Mark Collis and Ferarrah Orosco?

There were always enough overrated young players in the game to steer me away from them. Dominic Matteo didn't have a set position, so sometimes he would be the best GK in the game. Same with Tony Loughan at Forest, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Loughlan he was a monster of a player, long before Cherno Samba & Freddy Adu!

If you repeatedly click on your goalkeeper when opponent is taking a penalty, there is more chance that he will save it.
Me and my friends forbidden clicking on a goalkepeer when playing against each other because of this. "Don't click on the goalkeeper jerk I will hit you with this can of beer."

1 minute ago, Marko1989 said:

If you repeatedly click on your goalkeeper when opponent is taking a penalty, there is more chance that he will save it.
Me and my friends forbidden clicking on a goalkpeer when playing against each other because of this. "Don't click on the goalkeeper jerk I will hit you with this can of beer."

Gold.

13 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Me and my friends forbidden clicking on a goalkepeer when playing against each other because of this. "Don't click on the goalkeeper jerk I will hit you with this can of beer."

If I could use this as my message tone I would

On 19/11/2018 at 16:08, herne79 said:

It is a myth.  Changing positions in and of itself doesn't directly impact CA.  What happens is different positions have different weightings for attributes and it's that which can have the knock on effect to CA changes.

I feel like you're claiming that not eating won't kill you, because it is starvation that you die from.

The game calculates a result beforehand and then drums up arbitrarily, sometimes most ridiculous highlights to show how the goals were scored

When the game recognizes a human manager is superior, it injuries all his key players, then makes him go on a losing streak and drop points in the most ridiculous manner, including the teams at the rock bottom of a table

You always lose against the bottom of the table

Teams at the bottom of a league table aren't any competitive and **** poor by defintion.

If you ever run away in a league, it is only to be expected that the coming season should be the same.

Teams losing a few matches in a row means they are poor.

Teams winning a few matches in a row means they are great.

The league table never lies.

AI can play like Barcelona at will.

If a forward is ever flagged as frustrated/nervous, he will go into CR7 mode and won't be able to hit a cow's arse.

An opposition player with long shots 1 won't be able to ever even kick a ball.

Buying superior forwards is an instant fix for systematic, repeat finishing problems

If SI say they tweak injuries to be -20% off real football, it means my team will have -20% injuries at any one point of a season

With a squad full of well above average takers, a penalty is a goal at least ~90+% of the time

FM's final match reports are a superior way of analyzing what's actually happened in a match.

2 minutes ago, blimey said:

"PA can drop after severe injury."

It's a myth isn't it. I've never seen it happen.

PA never changes so yes technically it is a myth, however the likelihood a player will improve their CA to reach the level of their PA can definitely drop after a severe injury, for obvious reasons.

Winning titles means I am a superior FM player

Users uploading "super tactics" on FMBase all have gained a superior understanding of the tactical module of the game

Whereas the members/mods of the SI Tactical Community are part of the bigger "Exclusively AI ever scores from few shots in the odd match" cover up conspiracy

Downloading a defenderless super tactics from SirGoalAlots et all at FMBase that sees no defenders outside of the centre backs whatsoever, whilst expecting to not ship soft goals over a season is perfectly sane

Additionally, exclusively AI scoring from few shots is by definition an issue to investigate and question promptly.

Me getting my side to consistently repeat back to back promotions on any save -- and/or my average forwards to convert at seasonal fantasy rates can't be a possible issue to investigate ever. I'm just a great manager, ya know!

• 1 month later...
On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:17, Maaka said:

"It's scripted"

This is my go to!! Just played a game where I hit the woodwork 6 times and I knew without a shadow of a doubt they were going to score with their only shot. Lo and behold, 88th minute and they smash one in from outside the box. I know its just coincidence but its easier to shout conspiracy lol 

On 19/11/2018 at 13:50, herne79 said:

Crikey where to start...

I've been FM'd bro.

The AI cheats.

The AI knows/learns your tactic.

Having a high CA player must mean he's really good.

Researchers are biased.

I've tried everything to fix my tactical problem so the ME's bugged.

Mods work for SI/have signed a contract so always shut down negative comments.

The game's too easy.

The game's too hard.

There's a secret cow level.

It's quite an old post now and most of what you say is bang on, especially the too easy and too hard shouts (this suggests to me the game is well balanced, actually - but you can't please all the people all the time etc.)

However the part I've bolded... I've definitely seen biased researchers. I remember when Pardiola got the mighty Newcastle to finish 5th and the Newcastle researcher obviously got a bit carried away. Chieck Tioté was world class. That striker they had... Cissé? He had 20 for Finishing - in the same year Messi had only 19 iirc :lol: Coloccini was basically Puyol reincarnated (hairstyle more important than playstyle with this one I feel). 

I'm sure MLG used to overrate quite a few of the Southampton youths when he was the researcher too. 

The AI of this game is artificially kept to be a bit "stoopid" at least on the Occasion. This is done to ensure that even the most terrible FM Player with the most flaweed idea about team Sports only loses a match despite having x moar shots once in every blue moon (still going to yell "scripted" every single time, mind). Which, after all, happens in real Football to the elite of them Managers -- on the Occasions, in sequences.

Or is that a myth at all? :) https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/116071/Analysis_Game_AI__Our_Cheatin_Hearts.php

On 20/11/2018 at 09:28, forameuss said:

I've always liked the caveat "I've played FM since the 1840s, so...", the myth being the belief that that actually makes any difference whatsoever.

To be fair the match engine was a lot simpler then and the gameplay was really attacking :D  2-3-5 ftw!

For me it's the myth behind a suggestion that frequently pops up, that "Dynamic PA's" for players would be better. Because if Barcelona buy you, your potential increases automatically.

There's a great many myths surrounding attributes, jumping was always the primary one which ended up seeing it renamed jumping reach and still suffers for it from time to time. This is one especially frequently paired with @forameuss one of "I've been playing since..." which is fine and all but the game is 20+ iterations down the line on what attributes do. 

Archived