Jump to content

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post


Recommended Posts

On 26/12/2019 at 18:18, davehibb said:

@kevhamster would this one be the same?

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v155-15api-amd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-radeon-vega-8-w-81v50008uk/version.asp#/specs

I can collect locally and it's a bit cheaper. Only 2mb cache compared to 6mb on the one you quoted?

This is the one I went for and I can't recommend it enough for the price.

3D is a bazillion times better than anything I've ever had previously and where running 4 divisions from England would have given me half a star performance in the past, 6 countries with 16 divisions is 4 stars. Granted, I've always had a laptop with the bare minimum specs to run FM previously, but still very happy with this laptop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/12/2019 at 13:19, LouisFellows_ said:

Hello All,

 

I am looking to buy a new laptop as mine is outdated and processes fm20 very slow. My budget is only around £300, I was thinking of buying the link attached but wondered if anybody would know if this would be okay or anything better for the budget?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-s340-14-intel-core-i3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-grey-10199297-pdt.html

Hi all,

 

Anyone help me out with this. May be able to stretch budget to £350

Edited by LouisFellows_
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LouisFellows_ said:

Hi all,

 

Anyone help me out with this. May be able to stretch budget to £350

Whats your current laptop specs? useful to let you know if its a significant enough upgrade to make it worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Welshace said:

Whats your current laptop specs? useful to let you know if its a significant enough upgrade to make it worth it.

I know the laptop is an Acer es1-531 it’s model number is n15w4. It has 4gb ram and I believe the processor is an Intel Celeron or Intel Pentium. I don’t really have a wide range of knowledge on these sort of things so any help is appreciated 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LouisFellows_ said:

I know the laptop is an Acer es1-531 it’s model number is n15w4. It has 4gb ram and I believe the processor is an Intel Celeron or Intel Pentium. I don’t really have a wide range of knowledge on these sort of things so any help is appreciated 

Oh wow.. your current laptop isn't suitable for fm in any way shape or form.. 

Your budget for a new laptop is very low though, and i would probably suggest trying to save for a while and bring it up to £450 if possible... if not.. you might need to consider going refurbished or second hand..

 

The ones you are looking like the one in your link are certainly an upgrade, but are still massively underpowered for FM. .. for £450 - £500 you can get a much much better laptop that will last you a good while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Oh wow.. your current laptop isn't suitable for fm in any way shape or form.. 

Your budget for a new laptop is very low though, and i would probably suggest trying to save for a while and bring it up to £450 if possible... if not.. you might need to consider going refurbished or second hand..

 

The ones you are looking like the one in your link are certainly an upgrade, but are still massively underpowered for FM. .. for £450 - £500 you can get a much much better laptop that will last you a good while.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3068984
 

would this computer be any good do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LouisFellows_ said:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3068984
 

would this computer be any good do you think?

It's an improvement to your current one for sure, but again, not massively suitable for gaming.. it's an ultra low power type cpu, designed for light tasks, not gaming.. at that budget, you are only getting light office task or light multimedia type laptops, not anything suitable for games... add an extra £100 and you are starting to get somewhere...  or go second hand and try and find something decent.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Welshace said:

It's an improvement to your current one for sure, but again, not massively suitable for gaming.. it's an ultra low power type cpu, designed for light tasks, not gaming.. at that budget, you are only getting light office task or light multimedia type laptops, not anything suitable for games... add an extra £100 and you are starting to get somewhere...  or go second hand and try and find something decent.

 

 

Okay thanks for the help would you be able to suggest anything for an extra 100 that isn’t second hand?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jimmyncfc said:

Will this run FM20 OK?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

It only has an integrated Intel graphics card and the FM20 specs suggest it needs a dedicated card?

I don't use the 3D match engine.

It's the cpu thats the issue.... far too weak...

you can get much better for that price... see the countless links posted in the last few pages...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Welshace said:

Thats fine, that laptop will run that fine.. but again, for that price, you can get better if you look around and research a bit.

Thanks - need something I could purchase from a local store ideally. Budget £400-£550.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for a laptop that can run the 5 major leagues and has good graphics for 3D matches. When it comes to laptops I’m clueless. Any help would be appreciated 👍

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9396461 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-fq1512sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198276-pdt.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deano9 said:

Looking for a laptop that can run the 5 major leagues and has good graphics for 3D matches. When it comes to laptops I’m clueless. Any help would be appreciated 👍

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9396461 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-fq1512sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198276-pdt.html

Anyone fancy helping?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any recent cpu charts for playing FM?  With the recent launch of Ryzen’s new Cpu and increased cores and threads just wondering if these have any advantages playing FM?

iv read to play most other games with high FPS having more cores and threads is better for future gaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deano9 said:

Looking for a laptop that can run the 5 major leagues and has good graphics for 3D matches. When it comes to laptops I’m clueless. Any help would be appreciated 👍

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9396461 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-fq1512sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198276-pdt.html

Theres a big difference in the budget there and considering you havent given us an idea... we would have to go for the curry's one.. it's a very decent cpu at a very decent price

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Welshace said:

The first link, to the curry's hp has a significantly better cpu to the others and would be my choice for sure...  very decent price too for this time of the year!

Thank you unfortunately I didn’t even realise that laptop isn’t available for my area. What would be the second best and is there a major difference 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Theres a big difference in the budget there and considering you havent given us an idea... we would have to go for the curry's one.. it's a very decent cpu at a very decent price

Anything around the £500 mark. The laptop I have now (HP Notebook x64 or something like that) is so slow so I’m looking for something a lot better. I could maybe stretch to this much below if it’s any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-l340-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-128-gb-ssd-10193779-pdt.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wayne'o said:

Are there any recent cpu charts for playing FM?  With the recent launch of Ryzen’s new Cpu and increased cores and threads just wondering if these have any advantages playing FM?

iv read to play most other games with high FPS having more cores and threads is better for future gaming.

FM mostly runs on a single core, so having extra cores/threads likely won't help much, single core power is much more important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Deano9 said:

Anything around the £500 mark. The laptop I have now (HP Notebook x64 or something like that) is so slow so I’m looking for something a lot better. I could maybe stretch to this much below if it’s any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-l340-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-128-gb-ssd-10193779-pdt.html

 

That's not a bad choice, only issue is the low amount of hard drive storage (only 128GB, so you won't be able to fit much on it).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

That's not a bad choice, only issue is the low amount of hard drive storage (only 128GB, so you won't be able to fit much on it).

I’m just looking for something to play FM on and occasionally web browsing. Do you really need to buy a gaming laptop for FM?    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi looking for a laptop usually run all major European leagues and sometimes the Brazilian one only will be used for fm20 and the occasional web browse, Looking for something around £550 and below not really sure on what to look for such as 8GB ram or 16GB etc but came across this. All help and different options is appreciated 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-s340-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-512-gb-ssd-blue-10199305-pdt.html

Edited by ThomasM9
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deano9 said:

I’m just looking for something to play FM on and occasionally web browsing. Do you really need to buy a gaming laptop for FM?    

For it to run well? Pretty much, but that's because it's difficult to get a laptop with a high quality processor without it being a gaming laptop, as for most other things a high quality processor and low quality graphics card, etc, would cause massive bottlenecks and prevent the laptop from performing well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deano9 said:

Anything around the £500 mark. The laptop I have now (HP Notebook x64 or something like that) is so slow so I’m looking for something a lot better. I could maybe stretch to this much below if it’s any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-l340-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-128-gb-ssd-10193779-pdt.html

 

That's very decent.. if you can stretch to thay, i doubt you'll be disappointed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

For it to run well? Pretty much, but that's because it's difficult to get a laptop with a high quality processor without it being a gaming laptop, as for most other things a high quality processor and low quality graphics card, etc, would cause massive bottlenecks and prevent the laptop from performing well.

Okay thanks for the help. If you have any recommendations on a better one than I posted feel free to post it for me 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Welshace said:

That's very decent.. if you can stretch to thay, i doubt you'll be disappointed.

Okay thanks for the help. If you have any recommendations on a better one than I posted feel free to post it for me 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deano9 said:

Okay thanks for the help. If you have any recommendations on a better one than I posted feel free to post it for me 👍

This one would be very decent, and slightly cheaper than the one you had linked: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Welshace said:

The first link, to the curry's hp has a significantly better cpu to the others and would be my choice for sure...  very decent price too for this time of the year!

hi all can anyone help with this as first link is out of stock the options are below

 

20 hours ago, LouisFellows_ said:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, please can someone help. Looking for a new laptop pretty much for FM20 only, maybe a few other older games too. 

Would this one be able to run it easy enough? 

https://ao.com/product/6bl30eaabubun-hp-laptop-silver-70265-251.aspx

I want the 3d match engine graphics to look good and for it to run quickly and smoothly with a few leagues loaded. 

If the one I linked isn't good enough are there any around the £400 mark? I don't mind if the laptop is older. 

Many thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of people looking for laptops <£500 ... 

 

There aren't a huge amount of options out there for that budget without compromising somewhere... 

 

That said, something like this https://www.box.co.uk/Medion-Akoya-P6685_2431522.html?=&wgu=13045_138485_15778736507937_6088d0012e&wgexpiry=1585649650&utm_source=webgains_138485&utm_medium=webgains&utm_campaign=affiliate

 

Is a very very decent option.. it has a decent cpu that while being designated U (ultra low power) it is a fairly new generation and is extremely efficient, having used it personally previously for fm, it handles the game fine with 10 leagues or so ..  it also comes with a dedicated graphics card, decent storage and 8gb ram.. so not a bad package at all..

 

If you can stretch a bit further..... https://www.box.co.uk/Medion-Erazer-P6605_2496888.html

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2019 at 22:50, Deano9 said:

Anything around the £500 mark. The laptop I have now (HP Notebook x64 or something like that) is so slow so I’m looking for something a lot better. I could maybe stretch to this much below if it’s any good?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-l340-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-128-gb-ssd-10193779-pdt.html

 

It's a Lenovo so when the battery packs up(invariably when the warranty runs out) you will need to pull it apart to replace it or pay someone to do it. I'm running of mains power oly and have to shut down FM each time I take it to a different room and restart it again. Screws also come loose with mine and its constantly rattling them out they cannot be re-tightened once free of case, and some need a huge amount of force to loosen, to get at battery. I'll never buy a Lenovo again. By the way John Lewis offer two years warranty twice as long as Lenovo's manufacturers one/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2019 at 12:09, davehibb said:

This is the one I went for and I can't recommend it enough for the price.

3D is a bazillion times better than anything I've ever had previously and where running 4 divisions from England would have given me half a star performance in the past, 6 countries with 16 divisions is 4 stars. Granted, I've always had a laptop with the bare minimum specs to run FM previously, but still very happy with this laptop.

For those like me looking at £400 and under this from the last page looks good, it was recommended by @kevhamster

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v155-15api-amd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-radeon-vega-8-w-81v50008uk/version.asp

Unless anyone has reasons as to why not I think I'll be ordering it this week as my current laptop is struggling big time and I'm due a new one. 

I'll probably run 6 leagues and around 15 divisions and I don't really bother with 3D, still old school commentary for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HotDogManUK said:

For those like me looking at £400 and under this from the last page looks good, it was recommended by @kevhamster

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v155-15api-amd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-radeon-vega-8-w-81v50008uk/version.asp

Unless anyone has reasons as to why not I think I'll be ordering it this week as my current laptop is struggling big time and I'm due a new one. 

I'll probably run 6 leagues and around 15 divisions and I don't really bother with 3D, still old school commentary for me.

That's a great price for that laptop.  It will run the setup you want with no trouble at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new desktop. The primary thing I'm concerned about in pure power terms is FM, but I want a machine that will still run it quickly even up to FM25 or so. I've been discussing with Dell, and I thought they had a good deal for me but then it inexplicably went up £300 in the January sales, so that's rather put me off.

 

Any recommendations? Other than FM, it's really just got to be good at multi-tasking - I typically have at least 20-30 different applications running at once, mostly Office, but also browser windows, Netflix, FM of course, so I assume memory and CPU are the biggest issues for me. I'd also like a blu-ray player built in. I was looking at the Dell Precision 3000/5000 range but it seems they don't want my custom as much as I thought! As long as it's offering good value, money is no object...I really do want this to last me at least 5  years, so fully expecting a 4 figure sum, but I'd assume I should be able to get a good machine for these purposes for significantly under 1500?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreyedOutMan said:

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new desktop. The primary thing I'm concerned about in pure power terms is FM, but I want a machine that will still run it quickly even up to FM25 or so. I've been discussing with Dell, and I thought they had a good deal for me but then it inexplicably went up £300 in the January sales, so that's rather put me off.

 

Any recommendations? Other than FM, it's really just got to be good at multi-tasking - I typically have at least 20-30 different applications running at once, mostly Office, but also browser windows, Netflix, FM of course, so I assume memory and CPU are the biggest issues for me. I'd also like a blu-ray player built in. I was looking at the Dell Precision 3000/5000 range but it seems they don't want my custom as much as I thought! As long as it's offering good value, money is no object...I really do want this to last me at least 5  years, so fully expecting a 4 figure sum, but I'd assume I should be able to get a good machine for these purposes for significantly under 1500?

Do you have a monitor already?

Something like this maybe if anyone else has other configuration suggestions:

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-7800X (3.5GHz) 8.25MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1500MB/sR | 1000MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET 2011/2066 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Asus Xonar SE 5.1-Channel Gaming Audio Card
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

 

Price: £1,528.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/intel-x299-pc/3Yj449HsEZ/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dell have managed to improve their price...is this a good deal? Is there anything that's worth upgrading (bearing in mind that I want it to be running FM fast in 5 years time alongside multiple office windows) and if so, at what maximum extra cost? Is there anything else I should be changing from this? The quote for it was £1090.04. Goes up to 1278.02 apparently with a blu-ray drive...and it's worth noting that this is with just 16GB memory which is half what I have currently in my 5/6 yr old machine....it goes up to 1515.92 with 32GB! It is upgradeable though.

 

Components

1 Intel Core i7-8700, 6 Core, 12MB Cache, 3.2Ghz, 4.6 Ghz Turbo w/UHD Graphics 630
1 Coffee Lake I7 CPU label
1 Precision 3630 Tower with 300W up to 85% efficient PSU (80Plus Bronze) no SD card reader v2
1 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM Non-ECC Memory
1 2.5" 256GB Class 20 SATA Solid State Drive
4 No Additional Hard Drive
1 Dell Precision Tower 3630 Heatsink (65)
1 No Optical Drive
1 UK Power cord
1 Asset Tag - ProSupport (Website, barcode, Onboard MacAddress)
1 Order Configuration Shipbox Label (Ship Date, Model, Processor Speed, HDD Size, RAM)
1 No UPC Label
1 Intel Integrated Graphics
1 No PCIe add-in card
1 No Additional Port
1 No Additional Network Card Selected (Integrated NIC included)
1 No Driver
1 Dell Optical Mouse - MS116 - Black
1 Dell Multimedia Keyboard - UK (QWERTY) - Black
1 Waves Maxx Audio
1 Dell Applications for Windows 10
1 SupportAssist
1 C2 2.5 HD + 2.5 1-3 HD
1 No RAID
1 Dell Precision Ship Material

Software
1 Boot drive or storage volume is greater than 2TB (select when 3TB/4TB HDD is ordered)
1 NO FAN
1 Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit), English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
1 OS-Windows Media Not Included
1 Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial - Excludes Office License
1 No Out-of-Band Systems Management
1 CMS Software not included
1 Dell Developed Recovery Environment
1 Dell Precision Optimizer

Service
1 Base Warranty
1 1Y Basic Onsite Service - Minimum Warranty 1 Declined ProSupport
1 3Y Basic Onsite Service

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2020 at 10:39, Welshace said:

If you can stretch a bit further..... https://www.box.co.uk/Medion-Erazer-P6605_2496888.html

I'm no expert but I've spent a good few hours and days researching laptops at or below £600 and this was comfortably the best I could find.

My only concern is the brand, which isn't a massive player like HP, Dell, Lenovo etc. My old laptop is an MSI which has lasted me 2-3 years and has been generally excellent, but their support and repairs is pretty woeful so I'm concerned about a repeat with another fairly unknown brand.

Has anyone bought a Medion and can vouch for their quality? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tomlcfc said:

I'm no expert but I've spent a good few hours and days researching laptops at or below £600 and this was comfortably the best I could find.

My only concern is the brand, which isn't a massive player like HP, Dell, Lenovo etc. My old laptop is an MSI which has lasted me 2-3 years and has been generally excellent, but their support and repairs is pretty woeful so I'm concerned about a repeat with another fairly unknown brand.

Has anyone bought a Medion and can vouch for their quality? 

Medion is owned by Lenovo

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreyedOutMan said:

That's about the same as what Dell quoted - is £1,500 about right for this sort of spec, then?

 

Also, what hardware/software would I need to start streaming/YouTubing FM?

 

1 hour ago, GreyedOutMan said:

Components

1 Intel Core i7-8700, 6 Core, 12MB Cache, 3.2Ghz, 4.6 Ghz Turbo w/UHD Graphics 630
1 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM Non-ECC Memory
1 Intel Integrated Graphics

That's the only info I can salvage from the list that is of importance.

Compared to the one I had posted - 
I had gotten you 32gb RAM.
And A Graphics Card of Good Quality!

 

In regards to the processor
The 7800x is not as good as the 8700 but the differene is neglible in my opinion - there's a slight improvement for the 8700

I can take another look and see if there's something better I can find.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JordanMillward_1 changed the title to New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post
  • FrazT locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...