Jump to content

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gar23 said:

Yeah around 1200, and off that site as you can pay nothing for a year. A week for a season sounds perfect.

I am not saying a season will take a week.

I can play a season a day as i play 12 hrs a day.

It is all relative.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/07/2019 at 19:21, Mikeonhisboat said:

Thanks man - would be very interested to see your build choice, esp if it includes things like motherboard and power/cooling options as I have zero idea about that. Looking at the new amd chip raw pre-release info and likely prices I see what you mean... I'll likely go 3700x I'd think, but we'll see. Does lower power/tdp likely mean quieter too, all other things being equal? (3700x is 65tdp, 3800x is 105 and am drawn to the 65...)

3700x hit the sweet spot nicely in terms of cost and performance. The real question really is what board to use. 

I just replaced one of my older gaming PC with a 3700x and Asus board. Bought a bundle off AWD-IT which worked out 50 quids cheaper than most other retailers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2019 at 14:50, BlackCat03 said:

Hi. I'm putting together a desktop PC for work and FM:

Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB AMD RADEON™ RX 570 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12

My only concern is the graphics card. Is the rx 570 good enough to run FM on high settings?

If you are still shopping for GPU, Amazon is selling the Sapphire RX 580 Nitro for £125  https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-NITRO-2xHDMI-Graphics/dp/B071CFN75H/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=sapphire&psr=PDAY&qid=1563187834&s=prime-day&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=1-2

Prime day deal though, so only last until... midnight tonight i think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Knuckles1991 said:

 

Hi. Can someone please, please tell me if the game will run smooth on this laptop.. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MHMQPR9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9AmlDbMSNBWRE

Please let me know ASAP. It is a birthday present I need to order very soon but I have no idea if this will run the game. 

 

All help is insanely appreciated. 

 

Thank you! 

It will run. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2019 at 22:13, Smurf said:

I am not saying a season will take a week.

I can play a season a day as i play 12 hrs a day.

It is all relative.

 

Ok smurf it’s finally between these two 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-core-i7-8750h-16gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1060-15.6-inc-gm501gm-ei007t/version.asp#%23reviews

and

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-raider-rgb-ge63-core-i7-8750h-16gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-geforce-gt-9s7-16p512-270/version.asp

 

is there much difference between 2400 and 2666mhz ram?

 

cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gar23 said:

I'd go with the second one for the better graphics card and it being cheaper, to be honest. Unless you're going to be playing lots of twitch-shooter games like Counter Strike or Overwatch, you won't need a 120Hz screen, as you won't be hitting those frame rates with that graphics card unless you're running AAA games on medium.

And for most games? Nah, the difference between 2400 and 2666 RAM would be minimal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dell Inspiron 15-3000 Series, Intel® Core™ I3 Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Hard Drive

 

would this be a better laptop for fm19 and future versions then.....

 

sorry I'm reading the tables and I can't really get my head around them

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all. 

This laptop is on sale today on amazon prime day deal. 

ASUS TUF FX505GM-AL279T 15.6 Inch Full HD Slim Bezel Gaming Laptop - (Black) (Intel i7-8750H Processor, Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB Dedicated Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MWD86YZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1PClDbFY3GSFJ

it’s 40% off. 

Is it worth it? Would it run future FMs with full graphics and large database?

Edited by Casanova
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Casanova said:

Hey all. 

This laptop is on sale today on amazon prime day deal. 

ASUS TUF FX505GM-AL279T 15.6 Inch Full HD Slim Bezel Gaming Laptop - (Black) (Intel i7-8750H Processor, Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB Dedicated Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MWD86YZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1PClDbFY3GSFJ

it’s 40% off. 

Is it worth it? Would it run future FMs with full graphics and large database?

Tis good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf, 

I’m a new member in need of some help!

Budget 350. Could possibly stretch to 400 if that was going to make a massive difference.

No problem if it’s refurbished etc

Any help really appreciated. Just looking for the best I can afford as I have very little knowledge in this area nd can’t afford to mess this up!

 

Thanks, 

 

Hembrough747

Edited by Hembrough747
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hembrough747 said:

Hi Smurf, 

I’m a new member in need of some help!

Budget 350. Could possibly stretch to 400 if that was going to make a massive difference.

No problem if it’s refurbished etc

Any help really appreciated. Just looking for the best I can afford as I have very little knowledge in this area nd can’t afford to mess this up!

 

Thanks, 

 

Hembrough747

Laptop or desktop.

Massive difference in performance at that price

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hembrough747 said:

Hi Smurf, 

I’m a new member in need of some help!

Budget 350. Could possibly stretch to 400 if that was going to make a massive difference.

No problem if it’s refurbished etc

Any help really appreciated. Just looking for the best I can afford as I have very little knowledge in this area nd can’t afford to mess this up!

 

Thanks, 

 

Hembrough747

And also that if it's a Desktop, do you need a Monitor? 

12 hours ago, thehig2 said:

Laptop or desktop.

Massive difference in performance at that price

 

 

1 hour ago, marco c said:

Getting back into playing fm after a long absence and going to need new laptop. Can anybody recommend something,budget of about €500 or so

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T_2354095.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joebloggs666 said:

up to 800/850£

The only thing I can find is this 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4127-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504GD-E4127_2571126.html

It has more physical RAM - which would be better overall, and good for FM it can utilise the RAM for certain tasks.

The only downside (and I use that term losely) is that you are going from 1050 4gb graphics card to the 1050 2gb graphics card. 

For FM the 1050 2gb would be good enough and no difference in the 1050 4gb in terms of FM.

 

However, obv the 1050 4gb is better card - as meaningless it is for FM - the original one you selected is cheaper. 

If you want to go for that - i recommend upgrading your RAM to 16 or 32 gb when you can. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on here a few times still haven't decided on a laptop recently got a Argos card with a value of £700 what do you think of this one I like to play FM with a lot of leagues with full detail in the top leagues would this laptop be decent with processing speed In this case

Screenshot_2019-07-17-23-25-43.png

Screenshot_2019-07-17-23-25-22.png

Edited by Mcfc1894
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mcfc1894 said:

Been on here a few times still haven't decided on a laptop recently got a Argos card with a value of £700 what do you think of this one I like to play FM with a lot of leagues with full detail in the top leagues would this laptop be decent with processing speed In this case

Screenshot_2019-07-17-23-25-43.png

Screenshot_2019-07-17-23-25-22.pngwhats the GPU in that laptop, not vital for Football Manager but at that price point I'd expect a GPU able to play other modern games.

Processing wise it will be fine for Football Manager should process alright with around 15-20k player count

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I have a laptop at the moment but the speed is very slow, so i was thinking of buying a new one mainly to play FM.

 

Could someone tell me if the specs of this new laptop would be decent enough to play FM at a good speed?

 

Thanks in Advance

 

New Laptop: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8724852

Current Laptop: HP 15.6" Celeron N3060 4GB 1TB Windows 10 (Processor speed was 1.1ghz i believe and 4GB RAM)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon all, 

Im looking for a desktop without a monitor to play fm, i basically want to load as many leagues as possible and to play the games in 3D, i load all the facepacks, kits, logos etc so would prefer a ssd as since i upgraded my laptop to ssd its made it alot faster also i would only use the desktop for fm/browsing/emails etc, my budget would be around £900/£1000

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2019 at 21:16, Hembrough747 said:

Hi Smurf, 

I’m a new member in need of some help!

Budget 350. Could possibly stretch to 400 if that was going to make a massive difference.

No problem if it’s refurbished etc

Any help really appreciated. Just looking for the best I can afford as I have very little knowledge in this area nd can’t afford to mess this up!

 

Thanks, 

 

Hembrough747

Laptop requested by user

Good but not great - understand your budget puts you in the lower end of laptops

But this would be ok for FM and it's new enough

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/81MT0015UK-Lenovo-V145_2456734.html

 

If you wanted to go refurbished route (bear note of the description of condition):

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/hp-15-bs049na-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-7200u-2-5-ghz-3-1-ghz-turbo-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-windows-10-home-64-bit-2cq71ea-abu-43229.html?___SID=U

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Laptop requested by user

Good but not great - understand your budget puts you in the lower end of laptops

But this would be ok for FM and it's new enough

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/81MT0015UK-Lenovo-V145_2456734.html

 

If you wanted to go refurbished route (bear note of the description of condition):

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/hp-15-bs049na-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-7200u-2-5-ghz-3-1-ghz-turbo-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-windows-10-home-64-bit-2cq71ea-abu-43229.html?___SID=U

I’m leaning towards the refurbished one. Am I correct in thinking it has slightly better specs? Roughly how many leagues would I be able to play please? Could they both handle 3d? Thank you very much for your help! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hembrough747 said:

I’m leaning towards the refurbished one. Am I correct in thinking it has slightly better specs? Roughly how many leagues would I be able to play please? Could they both handle 3d? Thank you very much for your help! 

Slightly better for processor - but no dedicated graphics card - which I don't think should be a problem.

This first one shows that overall the i5-7200u is a better processor.

processor.thumb.PNG.0f918970bfbe7c59ce1953d255ac31cc.PNG

This one below shows relatively same performance in single core performance - which is where a lot of the work is done for FM.

2.PNG.a0953ba835f9eab5c9a2fb50d47718e9.PNG1.thumb.PNG.f2e3c541339c76d980d852f519e7eb7e.PNG

 

As you can see the graphics are similarly ranked

graphics.PNG.c2aaea8bf83a21c8791f27a546a44c5d.PNG

 

Yes - the refurbished computer is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Elliott J Miller said:

Afternoon all, 

Im looking for a desktop without a monitor to play fm, i basically want to load as many leagues as possible and to play the games in 3D, i load all the facepacks, kits, logos etc so would prefer a ssd as since i upgraded my laptop to ssd its made it alot faster also i would only use the desktop for fm/browsing/emails etc, my budget would be around £900/£1000

Thanks

Anyone able to help please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about to look at replacing my 5 year old Macbook air that has stopped me from moving on from FM17. I'm ideally looking to just get a new Macbook air but I'm not sure it'll be good for FM 19 or 20.

RAM and processor look ok but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and I'm wondering if I'm better off going for a similarly priced windows laptop instead. Is anyone playing the current version on an Air?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2019 at 12:23, Elliott J Miller said:

Afternoon all, 

Im looking for a desktop without a monitor to play fm, i basically want to load as many leagues as possible and to play the games in 3D, i load all the facepacks, kits, logos etc so would prefer a ssd as since i upgraded my laptop to ssd its made it alot faster also i would only use the desktop for fm/browsing/emails etc, my budget would be around £900/£1000

Thanks

 

1 hour ago, Elliott J Miller said:

Anyone able to help please?

One or the other difference is hard drive space

https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Fusion_2499246.html?config=2335882,2335908,2429743,2464097,2473247,2478370,2499247

https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Fusion-Pro_2499881.html?config=2335882,2336001,2464097,2473247,2478370,2499247

1 hour ago, KingCanary said:

I'm about to look at replacing my 5 year old Macbook air that has stopped me from moving on from FM17. I'm ideally looking to just get a new Macbook air but I'm not sure it'll be good for FM 19 or 20.

RAM and processor look ok but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and I'm wondering if I'm better off going for a similarly priced windows laptop instead. Is anyone playing the current version on an Air?

Pricewise - you will get a much better specd' Windows based laptop for the same price as a Macbook Air - you wouldn't even have to pay probably half as much. 

What's your budget and are you stuck with 13inch? Or would 15inch be ok?

Mac (and apple producsts) are massively overpriced for what is under the hood. (I work on Mac + PC every day as a graphic designer).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Smurf said:

Pricewise - you will get a much better specd' Windows based laptop for the same price as a Macbook Air - you wouldn't even have to pay probably half as much. 

What's your budget and are you stuck with 13inch? Or would 15inch be ok?

Mac (and apple producsts) are massively overpriced for what is under the hood. (I work on Mac + PC every day as a graphic designer).

Thanks for the advice.

I can probably go up to £1,000 but would rather stay in the £600-800 mark.

The other reason I really like my Air is how lightweight and portable it is. Most searches I do for best lightweight laptops with decent power point me to Huawei Matebook but I've got no experience with those.

I'm looking to strike a balance between weight and power- I've got no interest in the kind of chunky gaming laptops some people go for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone give me a rough idea how significant an increase in performance I would get with a new laptop?

My current one is over 5 years old, but has 8GB RAM and a processor with quad cores and 2.16GHz (Intel Pentium N3520) so seems to align with what you recommend for low/mid price range.

Graphics are poor, of course, I'd be interested in a new laptop to start playing other games as well but for FM I'm more than happy with putting the settings on minimum.

How would it compare to something like this:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/1TT86EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb004na_2416064.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2019 at 17:44, Deviceing said:

Can someone give me a rough idea how significant an increase in performance I would get with a new laptop?

My current one is over 5 years old, but has 8GB RAM and a processor with quad cores and 2.16GHz (Intel Pentium N3520) so seems to align with what you recommend for low/mid price range.

Graphics are poor, of course, I'd be interested in a new laptop to start playing other games as well but for FM I'm more than happy with putting the settings on minimum.

How would it compare to something like this:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/1TT86EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb004na_2416064.html

This would be slightly better https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T_2354095.html

However, this has more hard disk space - https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E41275T-ASUS-TUF-FX504GD-E41275T_2458989.html

If it was me - I'd go for the more hard disk space and add an SSD as a primary drive later down the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Topu said:

what performance can you have with a ryzen 3 3200g and 16 gb ram ?

It's ok and will run FM. However, without knowing the rest of the specs it's hard to know. What RAM and graphics card?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2019 at 12:10, KingCanary said:

Thanks for the advice.

I can probably go up to £1,000 but would rather stay in the £600-800 mark.

The other reason I really like my Air is how lightweight and portable it is. Most searches I do for best lightweight laptops with decent power point me to Huawei Matebook but I've got no experience with those.

I'm looking to strike a balance between weight and power- I've got no interest in the kind of chunky gaming laptops some people go for.

If you want something really cool - I recommend this - it would be an excellent and better replacement for the macbook air https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/3ZH26EAABU-HP-EliteBook-1050-G1_2367695.html

Battery Life    15-16 Hours (up to 16 hours with power management)
Dimensions    36cm x 25.4cm x 1.89cm

 

This is kick-ass - but it's heavier and bulkier (than the one above)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/5WA67EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-cx0018na_2453614.html

 

Equally this would be fine but it's heavier and bulkier (than the first one above)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4127-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504GD-E4127_2571126.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Deutschland Fur Immer said:

Hi, 

 

I am currently running FM on  a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2712 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - i am largely tech illiterate - was just wondering how substantial an upgrade in speed that an i7 or i9 processor would be?

 

Cheers.

Depends on the model of the processor. You have an i5-6400.

It would depend on the model of the i7 or the i9.

The 6400 is ranked at 212 on this list

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

And it's ranked low enough on this list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As you can see on the list - there is an i7 ranked lower on both sets of data

Ideally - finding a processor that's higher up the list on both lists would be ideal.

412769947_ScreenShot2019-07-22at13_58_52.png.bac1de408b40f6680a442518872010b9.png

 

1702406649_ScreenShot2019-07-22at14_01_01.png.208ab9e9cce7ba4656a9a32f3f15d283.png


 

Addendum: it would also be a good idea to have a minimum of 2.2ghz for the processor - as that is the minimum requirement.

 

 

Edited by Smurf
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

If you want something really cool - I recommend this - it would be an excellent and better replacement for the macbook air https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/3ZH26EAABU-HP-EliteBook-1050-G1_2367695.html

Battery Life    15-16 Hours (up to 16 hours with power management)
Dimensions    36cm x 25.4cm x 1.89cm

 

This is kick-ass - but it's heavier and bulkier (than the one above)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/5WA67EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-cx0018na_2453614.html

 

Equally this would be fine but it's heavier and bulkier (than the first one above)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4127-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504GD-E4127_2571126.html

 

Thanks! Really helpful all round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Smurf said:

 

Depends on the model of the processor. You have an i5-6400.

It would depend on the model of the i7 or the i9.

The 6400 is ranked at 212 on this list

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

And it's ranked low enough on this list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As you can see on the list - there is an i7 ranked lower on both sets of data

Ideally - finding a processor that's higher up the list on both lists would be ideal.

412769947_ScreenShot2019-07-22at13_58_52.png.bac1de408b40f6680a442518872010b9.png

 

1702406649_ScreenShot2019-07-22at14_01_01.png.208ab9e9cce7ba4656a9a32f3f15d283.png


 

Addendum: it would also be a good idea to have a minimum of 2.2ghz for the processor - as that is the minimum requirement.

 

 

This is fab, thank you.

 

So something like this, coming in at 39 on the list (i think!) would be a much stronger option compared to my current at rating 212?

 

 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/recon-ry2-amd-ryzen-5-2600-3.40ghz-value-gaming-bundle-bu-09e-og.html#t=a1

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deutschland Fur Immer said:

This is fab, thank you.

 

So something like this, coming in at 39 on the list (i think!) would be a much stronger option compared to my current at rating 212?

 

 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/recon-ry2-amd-ryzen-5-2600-3.40ghz-value-gaming-bundle-bu-09e-og.html#t=a1

It's good - however, I don't see a graphics card built in there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Smurf said:

This would be slightly better https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T_2354095.html

However, this has more hard disk space - https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E41275T-ASUS-TUF-FX504GD-E41275T_2458989.html

If it was me - I'd go for the more hard disk space and add an SSD as a primary drive later down the road.

I saw you recommended the first one earlier but judging by the amazon reviews it has a very common fault. Will look into the other, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2019 at 06:11, Smurf said:

Está bien y se ejecutará FM. Sin embargo, sin saber el resto de las especificaciones es difícil saberlo. ¿Qué RAM y tarjeta gráfica?

 

16 gb ram and without gpu

Edited by Topu
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JordanMillward_1 changed the title to New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post
  • FrazT locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...