New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

1 hour ago, jeff_321 said:

Has anyone bought a laptop of Very to use for Football manager been looking on their but not sure if any are good enough.

look forward to your replies.

It doesn't matter who you buy from, well it does, there are less reputable sites out there. Very are well established trustworth site, you should read or email them for their policies for online transactions if concerned.

If you have a budget in mind - or why specifically using Very, then please let us know. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It doesn't matter who you buy from, well it does, there are less reputable sites out there. Very are well established trustworth site, you should read or email them for their policies for online transactions if concerned.

If you have a budget in mind - or why specifically using Very, then please let us know. 

got a few one i have looked at see if anyone think they are good enough to run football manager 2019 on it.

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-720-core-i7-7500unbspprocessornbsp8gbnbspram-256gbnbsppcie-ssd-amd-radeon-rx-560-graphics-156-inch-fhd-laptop-with-windows-10-home-grey/1600328664.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/acer-aspire-3nbspa315-21nbspamd-a6-8gb-ram-1tb-hhd-156-inchnbsplaptop-black/1600343225.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/asus-asus-tuf-gaming-fx505dy-bq008t-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-ram-1tb-sshd-8gb-156in-pc-gaming-laptop-amd-4gb-dedicated-graphics-rx560-4gb-black/1600346675.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-530s-15ikb-intelreg-coretrade-i5-processor-8gbnbspramnbsp256gbnbspssd-156-inch-laptop-with-optional-microsoft-office-365-home-grey/1600289397.prd

https://www.very.co.uk/acer-spin-3-intel-core-i5-8265u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14in-laptop-iron/1600343220.prd

these are the ones i have been looking at if anyone can say if any of them would be good enough to run football manager 2019 on would be great.

19 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I have ordered all of my parts for my first custom built PC. I may change the GPU though. I'm thinking to future proof it slightly more, am I better off paying £27 extra for the AMD RX 580 8GB vs 4GB? I can get the 8GB version for £175 with 2 free games (The Division 2 and World War Z) or the 4GB version for £148 without the free games. It's still mainly for FM. 

@Smurf

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Hello Aussie here with little knowledge about the technicalities of computers/Laptops so sorry for a vague question but im looking to upgrade my Laptop!

Reading through the last few pages, this Laptop was recommened to @Lukeyardley by @SebastianRO

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/legion-laptops/lenovo-legion-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y530-15ICH/p/88GMY501020

I have a few general questions regarding the Laptop:

There are 2 options on that page, which of these Laptops is best for FM?

and what kind of performance would this Laptop run FM? - would I be able to play in 3d with lots of leagues loaded and large database?

Thanks!

Edited by FM_Prospect

3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I have ordered all of my parts for my first custom built PC. I may change the GPU though. I'm thinking to future proof it slightly more, am I better off paying £27 extra for the AMD RX 580 8GB vs 4GB? I can get the 8GB version for £175 with 2 free games (The Division 2 and World War Z) or the 4GB version for £148 without the free games. It's still mainly for FM. 

@Smurf

FM isn't heavy on graphics, so if it's the only game you play then it's a waste. On the other hand, you could play other games either way.

2 free games seems sweet.

For what it's worth they are near identical

https://dev1.notebook-check.com/index.php?id=844

58558263_ScreenShot2019-06-06at16_44_21.thumb.png.e4f9fb79e97d0cc610df25889be10728.png

3 hours ago, FM_Prospect said:

Hello Aussie here with little knowledge about the technicalities of computers/Laptops so sorry for a vague question but im looking to upgrade my Laptop!

Reading through the last few pages, this Laptop was recommened to @Lukeyardley by @SebastianRO

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/legion-laptops/lenovo-legion-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y530-15ICH/p/88GMY501020

I have a few general questions regarding the Laptop:

There are 2 options on that page, which of these Laptops is best for FM?

and what kind of performance would this Laptop run FM? - would I be able to play in 3d with lots of leagues loaded and large database?

Thanks!

Either is fine. If you want to save money go for the cheaper version. If you want slightly better performance go for the more expensive option.

@Smurf

Do you mean it's a waste in general going for the 4GB RX 580 mainly for FM or that it's more of a waste going for the 8GB version? These are desktop parts btw, the graph you sent was of the laptop version but I'm guessing that it was just to how close they are in terms of performance? 

The 4GB version has now been dispatched and I'll have it on Saturday. I could still send it back if it's too much or if the 8GB version seems a better deal. I only went for a decent GPU now to future proof it a bit (for FM), just like my decision to go for the beastly i9 9900k :eek:  My aim was to get at least a Nvidia GT 1050 Ti anyway.

Yeah that's what I thought, 2 free games and especially 2 recent ones is pretty good. The minimum they both cost together that I can find is £51 so that makes the 8GB version at £175 quite appealing. I'm not too bothered about The Division 2 but World War Z looks great, that alone is £18 at its cheapest so if I bought that for the 4GB version, I would be up to £166.

Of course consoles for me will always come first outside of FM and I will be buying the PS5 when it comes out which may make it pointless having the 8GB RX580. Of course, if I go for the 4GB 580 and not bother buying any other game for it, I save £27 (4GB - £148 vs 8GB - £175).

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Hello everybody, I'm about to buy a laptop and it's necesary that it runs FM19 to buy it, if it doesn't run the game i wont buy it. 

(I only Play the 2D version, so i dont care if i cannot Play in 3d)

Processor

Intel® Celeron® N2840
Dual core 2.16 GHz

OS

Windows 10 Home -

RAM 4GB  Memoriy DDR3 Low Voltage of 1333MHz
1 SODIMM DDR3L maximum support 8GB
Storage (space disk)  500 GB hard disk

Screen 14” HD 1366x768 WideScreen BacklightLED
Graphics Video Intel® HD Graphics
HDMI  Audio and Video digital with support FullHD 1080p
Edited by matimontorfano

Yeah I'm going to order the 8GB version now and send the other one back. The two free games is what swings it for me, plus I have Hitman 2 coming for free with the i9 9900k so I'll have a few games to play on it. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

PRocesador Intel® Celeron® N2840
2 núcleos de 2.16 GHz
Sistema Operativo Windows 10 Home - EXO recomienda Windows 10 Pro.
Memoria Ram 4GB de Memoria DDR3 Low Voltage de 1333MHz
1 SODIMM DDR3L soporte máximo 8GB
Almacenamiento Disco rígido de 500 GB
Lector múltiple de tarjetas
Pantalla Pantalla 14” HD 1366x768 WideScreen BacklightLED
Gráficos

Video Intel® HD Graphics
Conexión HDMI para Audio y Video digital con soporte FullHD 1080p

Will this run it on 2d mode?

1 hour ago, matimontorfano said:

Hello everybody, I'm about to buy a laptop and it's necesary that it runs FM19 to buy it, if it doesn't run the game i wont buy it. 

(I only Play the 2D version, so i dont care if i cannot Play in 3d)

Processor

Intel® Celeron® N2840
Dual core 2.16 GHz

OS

Windows 10 Home -

RAM 4GB  Memoriy DDR3 Low Voltage of 1333MHz
1 SODIMM DDR3L maximum support 8GB
Storage (space disk)  500 GB hard disk

Screen 14” HD 1366x768 WideScreen BacklightLED
Graphics Video Intel® HD Graphics
HDMI  Audio and Video digital with support FullHD 1080p

Not good, doesn't meet minimum requirements unfortunately, buyer-beware!

Hi Smurf,

Was looking at buying a computer for the purpose of playing fm19/20? and saw you seemed knowledgeable about the subject. My budget is low so was looking at refurbished laptops.

Can you please if you have any time  let me know if you think this laptop would run the game reasonably http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/cheap-lenovo-t450-laptop and would it be worth paying for any of the upgrades available such as increased ram or improved hard drive?

I have a particular interest in downloading the UK leagues as far down as the 9th tier to play as my start as my local side Hythe Town - I think this is the download that includes them https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm19-database-england-lower-leagues.html 

Do you think this laptop will meet my needs?

Thanks for taking the time for a stranger really appreciate it!

All the best, Ed :)

59 minutes ago, ecarter93 said:

Hi Smurf,

Was looking at buying a computer for the purpose of playing fm19/20? and saw you seemed knowledgeable about the subject. My budget is low so was looking at refurbished laptops.

Can you please if you have any time  let me know if you think this laptop would run the game reasonably http://www.cheaplaptopcompany.co.uk/cheap-lenovo-t450-laptop and would it be worth paying for any of the upgrades available such as increased ram or improved hard drive?

I have a particular interest in downloading the UK leagues as far down as the 9th tier to play as my start as my local side Hythe Town - I think this is the download that includes them https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm19-database-england-lower-leagues.html 

Do you think this laptop will meet my needs?

Thanks for taking the time for a stranger really appreciate it!

All the best, Ed :)

I'd have to go with "no". That website is telling fibs saying that that is a gaming laptop, because it isn't. That processor, other than being over 4 years old at this point, is designed more for browsers and Netflix than any games, never mind ones that require a lot of CPU power like FM does. Additionally, it's not designed for heavy duty work, which FM would put it through, and as such the speed of that sort of processor is throttled at minimum when put under heavy load, which would mean, for FM, it would only just be over the minimum requirements, which for an expanded database including lower leagues will likely have poor performance, and it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, which will impact performance too.

Honestly? Extra RAM or an improved HD isn't going to make this run FM any better, really, because it'd barely run FM at the best of times anyway. It might sound harsh, but you'd be better off saving your money to get a better one for when FM20 comes out, because you'd likely be wasting your money getting that laptop and hoping that FM20's system requirements don't go over what that laptop can do.

39 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I'd have to go with "no". That website is telling fibs saying that that is a gaming laptop, because it isn't. That processor, other than being over 4 years old at this point, is designed more for browsers and Netflix than any games, never mind ones that require a lot of CPU power like FM does. Additionally, it's not designed for heavy duty work, which FM would put it through, and as such the speed of that sort of processor is throttled at minimum when put under heavy load, which would mean, for FM, it would only just be over the minimum requirements, which for an expanded database including lower leagues will likely have poor performance, and it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, which will impact performance too.

Honestly? Extra RAM or an improved HD isn't going to make this run FM any better, really, because it'd barely run FM at the best of times anyway. It might sound harsh, but you'd be better off saving your money to get a better one for when FM20 comes out, because you'd likely be wasting your money getting that laptop and hoping that FM20's system requirements don't go over what that laptop can do.

Cheers for all that mate, bit out of my depth on computer specs. Is there anything you know of out there say the right side of £700 that would run the lower tiers/top 10 leagues 1st and second divisions on fm19/20.

Thanks again for the original answer!

1 hour ago, ecarter93 said:

Cheers for all that mate, bit out of my depth on computer specs. Is there anything you know of out there say the right side of £700 that would run the lower tiers/top 10 leagues 1st and second divisions on fm19/20.

Thanks again for the original answer!

No worries, and for on the right side of £700, I'd go with this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-10181374-pdt.html

Brilliant processor that others have got and works superb for FM, plenty of storage space, decent amount of RAM, and a medium end graphics card that'll breeze through what FM needs, and would also work well for other games too.

1 hour ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

No worries, and for on the right side of £700, I'd go with this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-10181374-pdt.html

Brilliant processor that others have got and works superb for FM, plenty of storage space, decent amount of RAM, and a medium end graphics card that'll breeze through what FM needs, and would also work well for other games too.

Cheers for all the help really do appreciate it

Thanks that looks really good, would you think that could load up all 15 english tiers or equivalent? 

Just browsing through I found this for £620 https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-erazer-p7651-core-i5-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-17.3-inch-30023348/version.asp has the bigger screen which suits me as well, would this be as capable of doing 15 leagues or so?

Cheers again :)

2 hours ago, ecarter93 said:

Cheers for all the help really do appreciate it

Thanks that looks really good, would you think that could load up all 15 english tiers or equivalent? 

Just browsing through I found this for £620 https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-erazer-p7651-core-i5-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-17.3-inch-30023348/version.asp has the bigger screen which suits me as well, would this be as capable of doing 15 leagues or so?

Cheers again :)

The processor in that one isn't quite as good, as it's again one not out-and-out designed for heavy loads (Intel processors with the "U" designation at the end are the "Ultra Low Power" processors, which prioritise low power consumption over workload, and can, if they're under heavy load and start getting warm, start throttling their speed to try to maintain a reasonable temperature, which is bad for performance.

It'd likely do FM okay, but you'd have to keep it cool, and it won't run it as well as the slightly more expensive one I linked, which would impact how fast the game runs when you're doing all 15 English tiers, and whatever other country's leagues are running at the same time.

With laptops, regarding gaming performance, it really does come down to getting what you pay for, 

23 hours ago, Smurf said:

23 hours ago, Smurf said:

Is there any way to play it with low definition and increase the speed? I only play 2D mode, but I'm worried about the speed of the processor

Hi Smurf, and any other like minded individuals...

I have decided to look at getting back into FM after not playing for the past two due to time commitments having played since CM3.. I currently have a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook that is nearly 7 years old. I use this for browsing, Itunes (RIP), occasional FPL article on word/PP and that's about it. So looking to a new laptop for 90% FM use, will keep this one for odds and sods and move all the photos from this on to an EXT HD. I have about £600 to get a new laptop spreading on finance to start with. I have seen you recommend this one..quite a few times

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T_2354095.html#DetailTop

And then think i have seen you recommend this one... which i could stretch to if needed...

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/4CK41EAABU-HP-Pavilion-17-ab405na_2354467.html

I play FM with loads of databases and leagues as I love the pool of players and scouting them... only play 2d so not that fussed about graphics and will not be playing anything else. What would you recommend?

Thanks

Edited by swporter7

17 minutes ago, swporter7 said:

Hi Smurf, and any other like minded individuals...

I have decided to look at getting back into FM after not playing for the past two due to time commitments having played since CM3.. I currently have a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook that is nearly 7 years old. I use this for browsing, Itunes (RIP), occasional FPL article on word/PP and that's about it. So looking to a new laptop for 90% FM use, will keep this one for odds and sods and move all the photos from this on to an EXT HD. I have about £600 to get a new laptop spreading on finance to start with. I have seen you recommend this one..quite a few times

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T_2354095.html#DetailTop

And then think i have seen you recommend this one... which i could stretch to if needed...

I play FM with loads of databases and leagues as I love the pool of players and scouting them... only play 2d so not that fussed about graphics and will not be playing anything else. What would you recommend?

Thanks

If you want the slightly larger screen and a DVD drive, I'd go with the second one. Otherwise the first one is basically the same.

34 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

If you want the slightly larger screen and a DVD drive, I'd go with the second one. Otherwise the first one is basically the same.

Yeah? coolio and ok spec to run what I need, never had a "gaming" laptop always just paid £400 to get a laptop and playing FM was a bonus but this iwll be its 90% purpose, hopefully! haha

Thanks for coming back so quick.Hoping to get one and have 3 months on FM19 to get me back used to it etc..

think this is the current one specs -

CPU. Intel Pentium B960 184.

GPU. Intel HD Graphics (Sandy Bridge)

Display. 15.6”, HD (1366 x 768), TN.

HDD/SSD. 750GB HDD, 5400 rpm.

RAM. 6GB DDR3.

Edited by swporter7

Wow. Spent months finding the best parts and have received nearly all of them for my 1st custom built PC. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts and considering sending everything back! :rolleyes:

My current PC still runs things decently tbh. It's 6 years old to be fair but the processor in it is the Intel i7 3770 (non k version) which is still suitable for most tasks. FM is the only game I play on the PC, as I do the majority of my gaming on console (PS4 Pro) and will buy the PS5 when it comes out. I love FM though and it is my favourite game. My system has 8GB DDR3 RAM which isn't too bad although the GPU is poor compared to nowadays standards, it's the GeForce GT 640. It still runs the 3d match engine at a 3 star rating though. 

The PC I was planning to build is costing me £1400+, including a i9 9900k and 16GB 3200mhz RAM. My aim was to buy the best possible processor to future proof it for a good 6 years+ but I get the feeling I could still squeeze out another year or two out of my current 3770.

I'm hoping for someone to talk some sense into me here, whether it be keep my new PC or send it back :D

Edited by Gee_Simpson

After going through a load of laptops this one seems like the best value for what I am after, just checking if i have missed anything glaringly wrong with it that means it wouldn't run 15-20 leagues (not fussed if save and load times are a little longer)

aThanks in advance to anyone that can offer any feedback its appreciated :)

HP Pavilion 17-ab405na

• Intel Core i5-8300H Quad-Core Processor
  • 17.3" Full HD IPS Anti-Glare Screen
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1000GB HDD
  • DVD Rewriter
  • Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics
  • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth
  • B&O Play Speakers
  • 4CK41EA#ABU

7 hours ago, ecarter93 said:

Would you imagine it will still be good for fm20 smurf? Think I am going to pull the trigger on this model if so

I Can't see into the future. But going on past teleases the specs do not generally change dramatically.

4 hours ago, ecarter93 said:

After going through a load of laptops this one seems like the best value for what I am after, just checking if i have missed anything glaringly wrong with it that means it wouldn't run 15-20 leagues (not fussed if save and load times are a little longer)

aThanks in advance to anyone that can offer any feedback its appreciated :)

HP Pavilion 17-ab405na

• Intel Core i5-8300H Quad-Core Processor
  • 17.3" Full HD IPS Anti-Glare Screen
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1000GB HDD
  • DVD Rewriter
  • Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics
  • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth
  • B&O Play Speakers
  • 4CK41EA#ABU

Should be fine

On 08/06/2019 at 23:43, Gee_Simpson said:

Wow. Spent months finding the best parts and have received nearly all of them for my 1st custom built PC. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts and considering sending everything back! :rolleyes:

My current PC still runs things decently tbh. It's 6 years old to be fair but the processor in it is the Intel i7 3770 (non k version) which is still suitable for most tasks. FM is the only game I play on the PC, as I do the majority of my gaming on console (PS4 Pro) and will buy the PS5 when it comes out. I love FM though and it is my favourite game. My system has 8GB DDR RAM which isn't too bad although the GPU is poor compared to nowadays standards, it's the GeForce GT 640. It still runs the 3d match engine at a 3 star rating though. 

The PC I was planning to build is costing me £1400+, including a i9 9900k and 16GB 3200mhz RAM. My aim was to buy the best possible processor to future proof it for a good 6 years+ but I get the feeling I could still squeeze out another year or two out of my current 3770.

I'm hoping for someone to talk some sense into me here, whether it be keep my new PC or send it back :D

Anyone? :cool:

7 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Anyone? :cool:

It sounds as if you don’t need a new computer but would like a shiny new toy. I’d also ask myself if I was confident of being able to assemble a new computer for the first time. Another consideration may be whether or not all the parts that you’ve bought are returnable.

Hi,

I want a new laptop that I will only use for fm. I want to play 4 divisions in England and then the top league in the Spanish, Italian, French, German and Dutch leagues. I will watch the games in 2d. 

I was looking at a laptop but was told that the processor (AMD A9) isn’t really designed for games. 

So I have now been looking at this laptop 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8849153

Is this processor good enough. If not, what should I be looking for in a processor? 

Thanks

49 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

It sounds as if you don’t need a new computer but would like a shiny new toy. I’d also ask myself if I was confident of being able to assemble a new computer for the first time. Another consideration may be whether or not all the parts that you’ve bought are returnable.

I will do some database sizes/amount of active leagues tests today to see how my current PC handles things. I like to have as many leagues running as I can. It has been running quite well in FMT but these have just been for tactic testing, due to my inability to create a stable tactic, I haven't actually played through a season on full fat FM (my preferred version) since FM13 so it will be interesting to see how it handles full fat FM 6 years later. This is assuming full fat FM runs slower which I think it does as FMT is lighter right? 

I'm excited about the prospect of building my own PC for the first time tbh, I have read it's really simple so I don't think I would have any difficulties building it. 

As I haven't opened any of them yet, I don't think there would be a problem returning them all. I have got quotes through a parcel service website and it would cost me just over £21 to send everything back.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Hello,

I’m looking to buy a laptop/PC in the near future for FM 20. I know FM doesn’t rely on the GPU as much as the CPU. I’m just wondering what is most important for flawless FM play? Brilliant CPU, 16/32GB RAM and perhaps 256GB SSD will make FM run very fast? 

What processor should I get? I’m thinking i9900k? or will i8700k be just as good? I want the best possible FM experience, as many leagues as possible and large database is my preference. 

@Smurf

what is your opinion, can you help me?  My budget is £1000 to £2000.

18 minutes ago, BullishBull said:

Hello,

I’m looking to buy a laptop/PC in the near future for FM 20. I know FM doesn’t rely on the GPU as much as the CPU. I’m just wondering what is most important for flawless FM play? Brilliant CPU, 16/32GB RAM and perhaps 256GB SSD will make FM run very fast? 

What processor should I get? I’m thinking i9900k? or will i8700k be just as good? I want the best possible FM experience, as many leagues as possible and large database is my preference. 

@Smurf

what is your opinion, can you help me?  My budget is £1000 to £2000.

The specification below has been formatted so you can easily copy and paste this to our forums when discussing your specification. Once you've copied the specification, please click here to continue.
Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

down_right_arrow.gifGet Total War: Three Kingdoms & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

down_right_arrow.gifGet Wolfenstein: Young Blood with select NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD Black™ SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD (up to 3470MB/s R | 2600MB/s W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS, 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS, 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Price: £1,916.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/octanevi-15/WWwJXGNNHP/

Use the Unique URL to configure - Section 5 - and pick your browser, anti-virus etc. 

Should be what you're looking for.

Someone spending potentially almost £2,000 on FM is making me consider keeping my parts for £1400+ :lol: Can I ask what is your current system and is this new system purely for FM? @BullishBull

Also, am I right in saying FM Touch runs faster than the full fat game? So my i7 3770 could run slower on the full version? @Smurf

I know it's inevitable I will end up selling my i7 3770, but it's whether I do that now and keep my new i9 9900k or wait until possibly next year or the year after to sell it. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

26 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Someone spending potentially almost £2,000 on FM is making me consider keeping my parts for £1400+ :lol: Can I ask what is your current system and is this new system purely for FM? @BullishBull

Also, am I right in saying FM Touch runs faster than the full fat game? So my i7 3770 could run slower on the full version? @Smurf

I know it's inevitable I will end up selling my i7 3770, but it's whether I do that now and keep my new i9 9900k or wait until possibly next year or the year after to sell it. 

I don't know much about FM Touch.

If someone wants to spend £2000 on a laptop then so be it, I'm not in control of their budget, I can just pick from a list. 

You can build a Desktop for considerably cheaper and it's easier to upgrade by sourcing your own parts. 

But if you can build your own desktop computer from scratch you are more than likely not requiring advice here, as it's quite advanced. 

You do pay a bit extra after picking parts and having the computer assembled by someone with the knowledge to put it all together and it comes with a guarantee.

Which is fair.

34 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I don't know much about FM Touch.

If someone wants to spend £2000 on a laptop then so be it, I'm not in control of their budget, I can just pick from a list. 

You can build a Desktop for considerably cheaper and it's easier to upgrade by sourcing your own parts. 

But if you can build your own desktop computer from scratch you are more than likely not requiring advice here, as it's quite advanced. 

You do pay a bit extra after picking parts and having the computer assembled by someone with the knowledge to put it all together and it comes with a guarantee.

Which is fair.

Yeah I know more about parts etc now than maybe more inexperienced people so probably don't need as much advice. I've never built my own PC but I have read it's easy enough to do. I will see how my i7 3770 runs the full game and if I find it fast enough then I'll send the parts back, if not, I'll keep them. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

@Smurf  @Gee_Simpson

After much discussion with my partner I opted for this laptop, I realise it is more poundland than harrods but will it be very good for FM 20 and beyond? Also Sims 4 for my partner. I’m a little bit worried about the CPU.

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4FS89EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgcijwtbh4gIVGeDtCh0vPgzYEAAYASAAEgJDcPD_BwE

Edited by BullishBull

4 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

My old system was some Dell piece of **** laptop I had two years ago. It had 7700HQ I think. I then missed a few years of FM and played just Xbox One. New system will be used for FM, internet browsing and Sims for my partner. If I buy a laptop, I don’t like to buy one with **** GPU just because I only play FM, I could find other games in future that require big GPU.

3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah I know more about parts etc now than maybe more inexperienced people so probably don't need as much advice. I've never built my own PC but I have read it's easy enough to do. I will see how my i7 3770 runs the full game and if I find it fast enough then I'll send the parts back, if not, I'll keep them. 

The i7 3770 is a very good processor and should handle full FM really well. 

I'd recommend upping the RAM to 16 gb (if not already) or you could as far as I remember head up to 32gb for that processor. 

Some parts of the game are reliant on RAM - so more the merrier in my book.

3 minutes ago, BullishBull said:

@Smurf  @Gee_Simpson

After much discussion with my partner I opted for this laptop, I realise it is more poundland than harrods but will it be very good for FM 20 and beyond? Also Sims 4 for my partner. I’m a little bit worried about the CPU.

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4FS89EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgcijwtbh4gIVGeDtCh0vPgzYEAAYASAAEgJDcPD_BwE

That's about right for that laptop - it should be fine for both.

18 minutes ago, BullishBull said:

@Smurf  @Gee_Simpson

Lol it's definitely no poundland, still more than good enough for FM and The Sims. Good GPU too. 

4 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Lol it's definitely no poundland, still more than good enough for FM and The Sims. Good GPU too. 

You think the CPU will be good enough for two years of FM? I hope so. I wish they would invent laptop with upgradeable CPU and GPU.

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The i7 3770 is a very good processor and should handle full FM really well. 

I'd recommend upping the RAM to 16 gb (if not already) or you could as far as I remember head up to 32gb for that processor. 

Some parts of the game are reliant on RAM - so more the merrier in my book.

Yeah I'm swaying towards keeping it for now. I will try the full game on a database tonight and if it runs ok then I'll send the parts back and wait a year or two then upgrade. I will upgrade the RAM if so as sometimes the game has had to close because of low memory due to committed RAM usage. 

On 08/06/2019 at 23:43, Gee_Simpson said:

My current PC still runs things decently tbh. It's 6 years old to be fair but the processor in it is the Intel i7 3770 (non k version) which is still suitable for most tasks. FM is the only game I play on the PC, as I do the majority of my gaming on console (PS4 Pro) and will buy the PS5 when it comes out. I love FM though and it is my favourite game. My system has 8GB DDR3 RAM which isn't too bad although the GPU is poor compared to nowadays standards, it's the GeForce GT 640. It still runs the 3d match engine at a 3 star rating though. 

Building a PC is fun and if its a hobby thing then why not.

But if this is literally just for FM i'd take a moment to think about it.

You build your shiny new PC, load up FM and.............. its the same game. Just processing between fixtures a bit faster. Its gonna be an anti climax.

Maybe upgrading your Ram and GPU would be the way to go. You should be able to get a nice upgrade for £250.

In any event i'd wait for independent tests on the new Ryzen CPU's before you blow a load on the i9 9000k.

But its your money!

3 hours ago, BullishBull said:

You think the CPU will be good enough for two years of FM? I hope so. I wish they would invent laptop with upgradeable CPU and GPU.

Without a doubt. The i7 8750H is a very good laptop processor which will easily last you more than 2 years imo. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

You build your shiny new PC, load up FM and.............. its the same game. Just processing between fixtures a bit faster. Its gonna be an anti climax.

Maybe upgrading your Ram and GPU would be the way to go. You should be able to get a nice upgrade for £250.

In any event i'd wait for independent tests on the new Ryzen CPU's before you blow a load on the i9 .

But its your money!

Its not just processing between games that will be faster. You can load lots and lots of leauges and large database.

The i9 9000k has the fastest aingle thread performance and fm is still lafgely processed in the single thread. That is the reason they are buying it.

But as they said they might wait.

I would love to get the i9 for fm. At the moment not a good time as buying a house, kids and all that. Money tied up. But some day.

13 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Its not just processing between games that will be faster. You can load lots and lots of leauges and large database.

The i9 9000k has the fastest aingle thread performance and fm is still lafgely processed in the single thread. That is the reason they are buying it.

But as they said they might wait.

I would love to get the i9 for fm. At the moment not a good time as buying a house, kids and all that. Money tied up. But some day.

Yeah I can't see the new Ryzen CPU's beating it in single thread performance, even though they will be vastly improved in that area. 

I will test later to see if my processor can still handle a decent database size. 

How many leagues/players do you guys load for a relatively realistic experience? 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

3 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

In any event i'd wait for independent tests on the new Ryzen CPU's before you blow a load on the i9 9000k.

But its your money!

True, but I am going to make that kind of upgrade eventually, whether it be now or a year or two down the line. 

On 10/06/2019 at 08:58, Hunt1989 said:

Hi,

I want a new laptop that I will only use for fm. I want to play 4 divisions in England and then the top league in the Spanish, Italian, French, German and Dutch leagues. I will watch the games in 2d. 

I was looking at a laptop but was told that the processor (AMD A9) isn’t really designed for games. 

So I have now been looking at this laptop 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8849153

Is this processor good enough. If not, what should I be looking for in a processor? 

Thanks

I'd say no, because once looking up the actual specs of that laptop (you should always be dubious when a site doesn't tell you what model processor, etc, it uses - it just saying "i3" is no use to anyone), the processor doesn't actually appear to be 3GHz like it says on that page. The actual base speed is 2.2GHz, which is barely over minimum specs, and again isn't a processor designed for the sort of heavy loads that FM puts on a CPU, which means that when pushed by FM, it won't reach its "turbo" speed of 3.4GHz, it'll just stay at 2.2GHz to manage the processing load and heat generated by the processor.

If you could afford another approx £60-70, this laptop (https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-10181374-pdt.html) is discounted by £100 at the moment - it'd normally be £699, but is going for £599 at present, and has a processor that will breeze through FM for the next few years at a minimum, as well as having a decent graphics card that'll deal with FM easily. It would also let you run a lot more leagues than the laptop you linked, if you wanted, but would otherwise run FM much quicker with the number of leagues you stated in your post than the laptop you linked.

Basically, for the sake of £70, in your position, I'd get the discounted better laptop that should be able to play the next few years' worth of FM releases fairly easily, rather than get the laptop you linked, and find it barely plays FM19, and potentially won't be good enough to run FM20 when it comes out in October/November.

Hi Smurf, can I just say thanks for all the effort you have put in to this, it was invaluable for me- I am in my mid 30s now, enjoyed CM since the very first edition but gradually becoming more clueless when it comes to these things.

..... I went for the Acer Nitro 5