New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, EdL said:

that is the single thread rating though, I'd expect the Ryzen to be faster tbh

Yeah but once you overclock the i3 it'll blow the Ryzen away.  Single thread rating is what FM likes, the benchmark thread shows that

9 hours ago, EdL said:

that is the single thread rating though, I'd expect the Ryzen to be faster tbh

I would love to test it but cant. I am only going off raw specs and of course our conversations.

What makes you say that anyway.

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Yeah but once you overclock the i3 it'll blow the Ryzen away.  Single thread rating is what FM likes, the benchmark thread shows that

I agree.

I had to buy an ultrabook for work, I totally will run FM20, but I don't know if it's gonna be really fast. I play only with 2D visual and set database to medium - custom - with players from Europe and South America, average of 70000 players loaded.

Specs:

i7-8565U Quad-core da 1,8 GHz with Turbo boost (fino a 4,6 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
RAM 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
SSD 512gb

All i want is some good speed on loading (I usually add logos and cut out faces, should I not? Do they slower the game?)

@Smurf I’m hoping I’ve found the laptop for me, can you take a quick look at this and let me know what you think please. Everything looks good🤞🏽Someone selling this for bang on £300 so would be perfect! 

https://uk.store.asus.com/asus-k550iu-go075t-15-6-laptop-amd-fx-9830p-3-0-ghz-3-7-ghz-turbo-quad-core-processor-amd-radeon-rx460-4gb-dedicated-graphics-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-windows-10-home-64-bit-90nb0db2-m00980.html

Cheers😁

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I would love to test it but cant. I am only going off raw specs and of course our conversations.

What makes you say that anyway.

I agree.

Well yeah if you overclock it perhaps, but I wasn't aware we were talking about overclocking, but the Ryzen at stock has a higher single core perf, its not just clock speed the defines single threaded perf.

Hello I managed to drop my laptop and was told £200 to repair it so decided to get a new one 

https://www.reevoo.com/p/toshiba-satellite-l50-c-1xm-1

that was my previous one and worked fine with 10 leagues and low graphics I’m after something a bit better and wanted to know if this is ok and an upgrade on what I had previously 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-3000-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10190038-pdt.html

7 hours ago, EdL said:

Well yeah if you overclock it perhaps, but I wasn't aware we were talking about overclocking, but the Ryzen at stock has a higher single core perf, its not just clock speed the defines single threaded perf.

You can overclock Ryzen too.

7 hours ago, EdL said:

It also depends how you play the game if you run more leagues in full detail more cores becomes important, but on default settings it is less so.

I think most of us run more leagues, in the long run Ryzen is definitely better.

37 minutes ago, RaoulDuke44 said:

I think most of us run more leagues, in the long run Ryzen is definitely better.

As said - depends on how you play the game. 

You don't know what people run - most or not - we can't generalise. 

I don't think the Ryzen is better - I'm torn on it - but we're only comparing the Ryzen to the i3 - so lets not get bogged down here.

The user wanted something under £1000 - and going to the Ryzen would have brought that above the £1000.

I was keeping in budget and giving an awesome FM experience. 

Whether or not the Ryzen is slightly better or not was not a deciding factor in the selection. 

But I still maintain that I believe the i3 would be better in this instance.

Anyway - ... 

5 hours ago, RaoulDuke44 said:

Not as well as that i3 though

Ryzen logically should run FM better but it just doesn't and the benchmark thread bares this out albeit with a very small sample size

Most people do indeed run more leagues but very few run in full detail I would wager 

The long and short of it is that its hard to recommend Ryzen purely for FM, at the moment at least

46 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Not as well as that i3 though

Ryzen logically should run FM better but it just doesn't and the benchmark thread bares this out albeit with a very small sample size

Most people do indeed run more leagues but very few run in full detail I would wager 

The long and short of it is that its hard to recommend Ryzen purely for FM, at the moment at least

Still, its maybe 5% difference.

Edited by RaoulDuke44

15 hours ago, nick91188 said:

No way to tell it only gives it as an i5 without any model number.

And it only has 4gb RAM you'd have to get more RAM to at least 8gb.

SO no.

My brother  is after an new laptop and wondered if this will be ok for Fm as he gets big discount in Dell via Work https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/new-xps-13/spd/xps-13-7390-laptop/cnx73904

Processor Base Frequency 1.80 GHz
Up to Turbo Frequency 4.90 GHz

Edited by zakbrown96

11 hours ago, zakbrown96 said:

My brother  is after an new laptop and wondered if this will be ok for Fm as he gets big discount in Dell via Work https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/new-xps-13/spd/xps-13-7390-laptop/cnx73904

Processor Base Frequency 1.80 GHz
Up to Turbo Frequency 4.90 GHz

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming-and-games/dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5590-laptop/cng5538

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

So the one I said isn’t good enough for Fm? It was just because of the portability size of it to be honest @Smurf

Edited by zakbrown96

Hoping for some laptop advice please! 

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) that came with a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4gb Ram and a 500gb SD. I have since replaced the 4gb ram with Crucial CT8G3S160BM 16 GB Kit (8 GB x 2) and swapped out the SD for a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD. I swapped both out a couple of years ago to run FM faster but only noticed a bit of difference and if I remember correctly the star rating for computer performance didn't improve afterwards.

I've been running around 90,000 players in FM19 at a 1 star rating and don't want the game to run as slowly for FM20. It seems to take an age to reload the transfer, loan or shortlist page after I click into a player and come back out. between games can seem slow as well. I only play in 2d classic. 

is there anything else I can do to improve my Mac performance other than what I've already done? 

Thank you for any suggestions you can give. 

Edited by Brighton123

1 hour ago, Brighton123 said:

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) that came with a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4gb Ram and a 500gb SD. I have since replaced the 4gb ram with Crucial CT8G3S160BM 16 GB Kit (8 GB x 2) and swapped out the SD for a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD. I swapped both out a couple of years ago to run FM faster but only noticed a bit of difference and if I remember correctly the star rating for computer performance didn't improve afterwards.

I've been running around 90,000 players in FM19 at a 1 star rating and don't want the game to run as slowly for FM20. It seems to take an age to reload the transfer, loan or shortlist page after I click into a player and come back out. between games can seem slow as well. I only play in 2d classic. 

is there anything else I can do to improve my Mac performance other than what I've already done? 

No, not really, as the processor is the most important part for FM to run faster, and I'm not sure how easy it is to replace the processor in a Macbook, or whether alternate processors would even be compatible with it. As it's a 7 year old laptop with a processor single-core speed of only just over the minimum requirements for FM, at this point your main choice would be "Am I going to buy a new Windows laptop, or another MacBook?".

19 hours ago, Brighton123 said:

Search your Mac Serial Number 

It should give you recommended upgrades in the bottom right.

18 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

No, not really, as the processor is the most important part for FM to run faster, and I'm not sure how easy it is to replace the processor in a Macbook, or whether alternate processors would even be compatible with it. As it's a 7 year old laptop with a processor single-core speed of only just over the minimum requirements for FM, at this point your main choice would be "Am I going to buy a new Windows laptop, or another MacBook?".

Perxactly.

17 hours ago, Mr Tom said:

Can a 9400f and GT 1030, run FM for a few years(well).

I'm sure it can - how well though is another question.

Having played FM on my work Macbook in recent years, my employer has new 'locked down' my latest machine (the swines!) so I'm in the market for a budget second laptop to play FM and do some photo-editing. Aiming to spend under £400 and am realistic in my expectations not to have the speediest experience playing FM.

So far, this is the best option I've found: https://www.ebuyer.com/901659-lenovo-v155-15api-amd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-inch-full-hd-81v50008uk#

Thoughts? Appreciate any second, third, etc. opinions on this and any alternatives?

On 16/10/2019 at 22:51, JordanMillward_1 said:

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by 'a processor single-core speed'? Is that my i7 processor just being really old? 

20 hours ago, dozzie said:

Having played FM on my work Macbook in recent years, my employer has new 'locked down' my latest machine (the swines!) so I'm in the market for a budget second laptop to play FM and do some photo-editing. Aiming to spend under £400 and am realistic in my expectations not to have the speediest experience playing FM.

So far, this is the best option I've found: https://www.ebuyer.com/901659-lenovo-v155-15api-amd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-inch-full-hd-81v50008uk#

Thoughts? Appreciate any second, third, etc. opinions on this and any alternatives?

So Macbooks start at £1000 approx. What makes you think a laptop for £400 will get you anywhere near the same performance?

You'd really have to double your budget if you're photo editing and the likes. 

Hi guys,

looking to to move away from FMT to give the full version a try. I therefore need to buy a laptop, but obviously don’t want to be spending a fortune as I won’t be using it for any other gaming.

anyone able to tell me if the full version with work on this.... Wasn’t sure with it being a 2 in 1.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-c340-14-intel-pentium-2-in-1-laptop-128-gb-ssd-blue-10193437-pdt.html

any other recommendations would be most appreciated if not.

thanks in advance

Edited by Derbylad82

6 hours ago, Brighton123 said:

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by 'a processor single-core speed'? Is that my i7 processor just being really old? 

Processors nowadays have multiple cores, each of which can work independently for running a program or together to run it more efficiently. FM mainly uses a single core to run, and so it is single core speed that is the most important.

Your i7 processor is over 7 years old, and runs (from what you said) at 2.3GHz. The minimum requirements for FM now are a 2.2GHz processor, so your processor only just meets the requirements. This means that it will not run FM very quickly, as FM is a very processor-intensive game (due to all the calculations and data the game carries out), and it is difficult to replace the processor of a laptop at the best of times, and Apple computers can be very picky over what hardware is compatible with their systems.

As your older Macbook will likely not support more modern, and usually faster, processors, your only option would be to replace the Macbook with a newer one, if you wanted to run the game faster.

4 hours ago, Derbylad82 said:

Hi guys,

looking to to move away from FMT to give the full version a try. I therefore need to buy a laptop, but obviously don’t want to be spending a fortune as I won’t be using it for any other gaming.

anyone able to tell me if the full version with work on this.... Wasn’t sure with it being a 2 in 1.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-c340-14-intel-pentium-2-in-1-laptop-128-gb-ssd-blue-10193437-pdt.html

any other recommendations would be most appreciated if not.

thanks in advance

I can't guarantee that laptop would run the game (the processor is only just over minimum specs, and no info on what sort of graphics card/chip it uses is included). Those sorts of laptops are really only for word processing, Netflix, etc, not running processor-intensive games.

You won't find much that'll run FM well for under approx £600, unless you find something in a sale.

Cheaper examples that would run the full game well are: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000

This one would run it decently enough too, though the first one is better: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9174243

6 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I can't guarantee that laptop would run the game (the processor is only just over minimum specs, and no info on what sort of graphics card/chip it uses is included). Those sorts of laptops are really only for word processing, Netflix, etc, not running processor-intensive games.

You won't find much that'll run FM well for under approx £600, unless you find something in a sale.

Cheaper examples that would run the full game well are: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000

This one would run it decently enough too, though the first one is better: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9174243

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I believe is has a Intel UHD 610 graphics. 

I only every load one league, so my expectations are never high. I used to have a Toshiba satellite laptop that only cost me £299 new and that ran FM fine. I know these gaming laptops will obviously run faster, but are they really necessary u think? Hard to justify £600+ for just one game, as I wouldn't be playing any other games at all. 

36 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

As your older Macbook will likely not support more modern, and usually faster, processors, your only option would be to replace the Macbook with a newer one, if you wanted to run the game faster.

The processor requirments on the Mac Os are a little lower - so it should be fine.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

The processor requirments on the Mac Os are a little lower - so it should be fine.

He was asking what he could do to make it faster than it is currently though. The answer to that (given I just looked it up, and you can't change the processor in a Macbook Pro) is to buy a new laptop.

1 hour ago, russellthaw said:

What do you recommend £1000 limit and want to be able to run a few countries for a large DB. Where is good to get a new laptop?

Will you be wanting to use it for other games, or just for FM and general internet stuff?

5 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

He was asking what he could do to make it faster than it is currently though. The answer to that (given I just looked it up, and you can't change the processor in a Macbook Pro) is to buy a new laptop.

But your response to it was geared towards a PC user - it's 2.2ghz for PC's on a mac it's 1.8ghz- for some reason.

6 hours ago, russellthaw said:

What do you recommend £1000 limit and want to be able to run a few countries for a large DB. Where is good to get a new laptop?

I'd be looking at either of these

https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-17F212-252-16GB-MSI-GF75-Thin-9SC_2759297.html

https://www.box.co.uk/G531GU-AL315T-ASUS-ROG-Strix-G531GU-AL315T_2601655.html

It will really come down to minute details - like battery life - MSI is not recognised as having great battery life (when the laptop not plugged in and how long the battery lasts).

They're roughly the same weight and things like that.

One is 17 inch screen the other is 15 inch etc.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I'd be looking at either of these

https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-17F212-252-16GB-MSI-GF75-Thin-9SC_2759297.html

https://www.box.co.uk/G531GU-AL315T-ASUS-ROG-Strix-G531GU-AL315T_2601655.html

It will really come down to minute details - like battery life - MSI is not recognised as having great battery life (when the laptop not plugged in and how long the battery lasts).

They're roughly the same weight and things like that.

One is 17 inch screen the other is 15 inch etc.

Excellent thanks for the advice

15 hours ago, Smurf said:

So Macbooks start at £1000 approx. What makes you think a laptop for £400 will get you anywhere near the same performance?

You'd really have to double your budget if you're photo editing and the likes. 

I don’t think a £400 windows machine will give me the same performance. I literally said the opposite in my post. 🙄

I comfortably ran Lightroom/Photoshop on a fairly budget desktop PC 7-8 years ago with much lower spec than the laptop I linked to, so for my Photo uses I’m reasonably confident of the performance. Was just looking for a second opinion on what I’d found more for projected FM performance seeing as I’ve not played on a Windows machine for 5-6 years. Nevermind.

26 minutes ago, dozzie said:

I don’t think a £400 windows machine will give me the same performance. I literally said the opposite in my post. 🙄

I comfortably ran Lightroom/Photoshop on a fairly budget desktop PC 7-8 years ago with much lower spec than the laptop I linked to, so for my Photo uses I’m reasonably confident of the performance. Was just looking for a second opinion on what I’d found more for projected FM performance seeing as I’ve not played on a Windows machine for 5-6 years. Nevermind.

I sincerely doubt that you did - I'm a graphic designer by trade and I know a laptop with those specs would struggle with the apps you are looking at running.

I gave my honest opinion - you won't be able to run the programmes you want - let alone Football Manager to the degree you need.

You need to seriously up your budget to about double.

You're looking at LEAST this https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-Legion-Y530-15ICH_2759772.html

I realise now my reply might have come across as harsh - but here's the truth of it - I constantly have people say they bought a laptop for £300/400 and it was pure garbage, and rightly so. The next sentence out of their mouth is that they bought a Mac and it's AMAZING! 

Truth of it is - if you spend that money on a Laptop or a PC you get a far superior product than the Mac. 

That's why - when I see the posts that they Mac they had is no longer usable and they post to posts detailing a laptop for £300/400 and ask if it will be good enough - I literally roll my eyes and say "here we go again".

Honestly -- trying to help you - I've written a reply to almost every single query on this thread - which is a lot! And the same questions come up again and again and again.

Put it you this way - buy cheap and you'll buy twice.

Edited by Smurf

Hi guys, 

I don't have the in depth knowledge of what to look for when it come to a good spec. Therefore is there an easy guide for me to keep an eye out for with regards to a half decent graphic cards and processor speeds that I should be looking for when buying a laptop for FM. 

Edited by Derbylad82

1 hour ago, Derbylad82 said:

Hi guys, 

I don't have the in depth knowledge of what to look for when it come to a good spec. Therefore is there an easy guide for me to keep an eye out for with regards to a half decent graphic cards and processor speeds that I should be looking for when buying a laptop for FM. 

As per thread title - read the opening post. Most importantly - what's your budget and expectations?

17 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Thanks for this, out of interest to help me gauge a better understanding in what to look for. What advantages does the first one have over the second one to why you say it is better?

which would you say is better out off these 2 below for FM20

1. https://www.box.co.uk/FX505DY-BQ008T-ASUS-TUF-FX505DY-BQ008T_2440064.html#DetailTop

2. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000

Is a RX560 better or worse than a GTX1050 ?

Edited by Derbylad82