New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

15 minutes ago, FM-Lee said:

What issues have you had? As I’ve also recently experienced issues with Football Manager on a 4K screen on thr Dell XPS? 

Basically the fans going into overdrive as soon as FM loads up and the game becoming very laggy and slow.

I've come to the conclusion that it just can't handle the 4K resolution.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to know what laptop would be suitable for playing fm when the level 22 comes out 

my current specs are

Processor AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

I have a budget of around £600 to buy a laptop I prefer the bigger screens to play fm so any suggestions please 

many thanks 

Lloyd 

3 hours ago, charltonathleticforeva said:

i would like to know what laptop would be suitable for playing fm when the level 22 comes out 

my current specs are

Processor AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

I have a budget of around £600 to buy a laptop I prefer the bigger screens to play fm so any suggestions please 

many thanks 

Lloyd 

No, it wouldn't, to be perfectly honest. The speed of the processor is below the minimum spec, so whilst it might run, it'll be exceptionally poor and might well be unstable.

16 hours ago, charltonathleticforeva said:

No idea, we have no idea what technology will be available in 2022 or if FM are going to start utilising newer components. 

Best bet to future proof is get the best computer you can afford.

Once you buy one this year in 2019 - you have 3 years to save. 

£1 a day over 3 years and you would save approx £1095.

or £7 a week would acrue roughly the same.

While i'll probably freak out and change my mind once I see the price, I'm thinking of buying a strong (but small) laptop that would allow me to play full FM on the go (like the bus). The small form factor (13" screen or smaller) is a must but i'd want something that runs full windows and has USB slots and all that other functionality of a PC.

Any thoughts? Is this realistic or am i asking for something unreasonable/prohibitively expensive?

32 minutes ago, SophJay182 said:

While i'll probably freak out and change my mind once I see the price, I'm thinking of buying a strong (but small) laptop that would allow me to play full FM on the go (like the bus). The small form factor (13" screen or smaller) is a must but i'd want something that runs full windows and has USB slots and all that other functionality of a PC.

Any thoughts? Is this realistic or am i asking for something unreasonable/prohibitively expensive?

Basically, you can have small form, good laptop = inflated price

Or small form laptop, decent = increased price

Or small form laptop, average = regular price

Going on your specs of what you're looking for this is pretty damn good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-RZ09-01953T73-R3T1-Gaming-Laptop-Layout/dp/B06XK9DLHB/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548758838&sr=1-7&refinements=p_n_style_browse-bin%3A182752031%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A1481781031|1481783031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A8322552031|8322553031%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A7472683031

Surface Pro also another option

https://www.box.co.uk/HNM-00003-Microsoft-Surface-Book-2-(Commercial-Onl_2258437.html

For battery life

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Surface-Book-Intel-512Gb/dp/B076J8H9PF/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1548758989&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_style_browse-bin%3A182752031%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A1481781031|1481783031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A8322552031|8322553031%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A7472683031|7472682031%2Cp_n_feature_nine_browse-bin%3A7472693031

Ok, I think I’ve finally whittled it down to 3 devices I could use to play in Tablet Mode. As my Surface Pro 3 is on its last legs. What would be people’s recomendations between the Dell 5530 2 in 1 vs Surface Pro 6 vs Surface Book 2?

Still very concerned over colour trailing after my issues with the XPS 15 at Christmas.

Cheers.

CF5B0C8C-1F0E-4FBA-A7DD-B34D900B59E5.png

2C96129E-9A02-470F-BFE3-CAA43D3559AD.png

921FE546-8D69-4C36-A974-D62C95944D34.png

43AD71B4-4C87-4A24-B418-1AAC3D142852.png

DFEAC991-7D1E-4D5D-8936-5EB660F0A23F.png

2472BDC7-005C-415B-80D3-8C9A68442D9A.png

Edited by FM-Lee

Am ‎24‎.‎01‎.‎2019 um 13:13 schrieb Smurf:

Processor - the better is obviously what you want to go for. FM is largely still single core processing, so having more cores/threads is not really an advantage, surprisingly the i5 8300H and the i7 8750H have similar single core/thread performance.

But you should definitely get the best processor you can afford - which is the i7 in this case - or something else with a higher rating the Single Core Performance.

1814786470_ScreenShot2019-01-24at12_10_31.thumb.png.3a32b4276260806e9a74497d99fdd223.png

RAM: - minimum of 8gb

Graphics: 1050 2gb is probably the min I would recommend. 

1050 4gb is better

1060 3gb is better

1060 6gb is better 

1070 is better

1070 ti is better

1080 is better

1080 ti is better

Getting more expensive.

Stay away from 1030.

I had exactly those 2 processors , after many Laptops got wrecked in a short amount of time. Totally happy now with the better one , but also needing it only for FM, EU IV and CK II basically i would definately call it an Overkill on the multicore front. I bet if you jsut get the i5 if you are into Fm mainly you will never look back a lot and wish you got the i 7. Having it..its nice but going back from all i know now and experienced the i 5 ist the more clever buy, way cheaper for nearly no difference in FM.

I always have to laugh but shouldnt concerning graphics cards, when really theres always discussion which high end card to get. In my outsider opinion SI really has a bad 3D team if displaying a Soccer field with Player, a few stdium Elements and benches really uses so many resources, i mean look at what graphics a Card normally has to work with. I see absolutely no reason this shouldnt work with an absolute "crap" card. Still theres always high end card recomendations often even questioning my 1050 already. :-D This is totally ridiculous, the huge database and everything its totaly clear the processor has to crunch a lot of things and cant be good enough, but what is wrong with the programming of the graphics if what is displayed is so demanding. Is it even, would really be nice if its jsut uninfomed qubberish of better is better and FM can display everything without big Problems with a lesser card. Otherwise i could really jsut conclude its programmen badly in the graphics department. My 38 PC with a 4 GB extra card was actually overpowered for Sensible Soccer so how can this engine be so Million times more demanding when actually it doesnt look THAT different, some movement even Looks more fluid on Sensible Soccer- :-D Stadiums look nice but how demanding could they be cmpared to a fully rendered City in 3D Shooters and stuff.

Edited by GerdMuller

Am ‎29‎.‎01‎.‎2019 um 10:25 schrieb Smurf:

No idea, we have no idea what technology will be available in 2022 or if FM are going to start utilising newer components. 

Best bet to future proof is get the best computer you can afford.

Once you buy one this year in 2019 - you have 3 years to save. 

£1 a day over 3 years and you would save approx £1095.

or £7 a week would acrue roughly the same.

Just in 3 years your computer from today will be just as ****** as your cheaper one today.   For me its an absolute myth to be able to pay for future proof PCs. Either its something you are content to have a long time , and accept its outdated soon, or you want the latest thing always anyway. So in both cases its always best to get the Computer that does fit your current Needs and applications you wanna run best. And you often get cases where you are overpowered today and dont use the extra power you paid for, while in 2 years its old anyway. Yeah i remember when Pentiums came out and it was so overpowered you knew you püay one and are set forever… :-D

For Fm if you want a clever buy, i would always get the best single core cruncher on the market i can afford. Even Ram then soon reaches its ceilign where FM can use it. As you never know which direction the Needs of FM will go, its always best to get the best compromise now for your needs, and have those 1 Dollars plus the money you saved on performance you never used.  In FM number crunching in single core is all and defines how fast the game  runs and gives you joy. add the absolute absolute upper number to make a difference in RAM 16 or 8 which is totally enough and done. Then just decide on portability or a big nice screen which i needed. Investing in unknown future especially in Laptops is not a wise financial decision.

@Gerd Muller

Better processor = better performance, overall. 

People come here with a budget, I just find the best one in their budget. And most of the time the 1050 2gb is the lowest I will go, depending on budget, I've even given people to links for lower GPUs or none at all.

But if there's a 1050 4gb TI there and it's in budget I'll suggest that, similarly if it's a 1060 or 1080 as long as it's in their budget.  Yes - get the best single core performance processor you can afford. That will get you by for a few years anyway for FM. I don't know if FM will ever move to 64 bit, or start using more cores... at the moment and the last I heard there wasn't any plans to. 

My main goal here is to help people buy something that will run FM for at least 5 years, and not to make the same mistake I did. I bought a beast of a machine for FM12, and when FM13 came out it couldn't be played. I totally bought wrong and spent a lot of money doing it. 

7 years on - I'm here, helping people avoid the mistake I made - when you buy a computer you have a budget.

• SI Staff

FM has been 64bit for a couple of versions now ;)

If you play with all matches in full detail you will find it uses all your cores, but under default settings single threaded perf will be king.

• SI Staff

If you get an even vaguely top end computer today I'd expect to be viable for a long time.

Until a couple of months ago I was still running a 9 year old core i7 960 and tbh it was fine, mainly the mechanical HDD holding it back, so longevity of computers is much greater now as advancements are much slower than they used to be.

Has anyone tried the Huawei Matebook Pro X?

Am looking for something light and portable with good battery! Heard the surface pros drain battery giving a play time of around 2 hours which won’t work well enough for me!

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

@FM-Lee They are all very similar - hard to pick one from the other. 

Can you send me the links to all 3 so I can get a better gauge of them?

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that? Is there any other information I could provide to help you? 

4 hours ago, tomzo_2 said:

Has anyone tried the Huawei Matebook Pro X?

Am looking for something light and portable with good battery! Heard the surface pros drain battery giving a play time of around 2 hours which won’t work well enough for me!

Also looking for feedback on the Huawei Matebook Pro X i7 model...

14 hours ago, EdL said:

FM has been 64bit for a couple of versions now ;)

If you play with all matches in full detail you will find it uses all your cores, but under default settings single threaded perf will be king.

You are right of course, I hadn't checked that in a while and was going off old information. So there ya go... learn something new every day. 

I've asked specifically about the core usage with Neil Brock and one of the FM engineers gave me this response

On 17/11/2017 at 21:53, Smurf said:

Got an answer on this from Neil Brock

I spoke to someone and this is the jist of what he and I came to:

For how the game uses threads - it will create as many threads for playing matches and shortlisting as you have cores (including hyperthreads).

But the performance you see varies on the setup for example with matches - Quick Matches for instance (so for loaded but non-managed in leagues) it's are so fast anyway it gets to the point where it doesn't make that much more difference having more cores.

If you use detail level to set more stuff to full match you'll start seeing betters gains for more cores, but of course will still be slower than by just not having the league loaded, or having it at a low detail level.

Similar sort of thing with shortlisting the more / leagues players you have loaded the more benefits you can potentially see with more cores, however this is probably more than offset by the general slowdown from having more stuff loading as there's still a large portion of the game which is single threaded. 

In regards to best processors, as a general guide we tend to suggest using the following comparison site as a good gauge of the performance capabilities - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html 

Basic rule of thumb is the higher it is on the list, the better it is. You can edit it to show processors for desktops and also those that are considered 'archived' via the restriction options. 

Hope some of this is of use. 

14 hours ago, EdL said:

If you get an even vaguely top end computer today I'd expect to be viable for a long time.

Until a couple of months ago I was still running a 9 year old core i7 960 and tbh it was fine, mainly the mechanical HDD holding it back, so longevity of computers is much greater now as advancements are much slower than they used to be.

I'm not surprised, the i7 960 is a fine processor. And if that lasted a long time - the 8750H or the i5 8300h would also in theory do the same.

Capture.thumb.PNG.ee0ce4aa0cccc837760bf8bc926d283c.PNG

8 hours ago, FM-Lee said:

I hate the way you can't find any info on components in the Surface - it just says i5 or i7 - that's not enough info to go on. 

I'd go for the Dell - at least you know what you're getting. 

The processor is decent for FM - and probably the same performance as a lot of others like the i7-7700hq and the i5-8300h.

Dell would be for me.

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, Smurf said:

You are right of course, I hadn't checked that in a while and was going off old information. So there ya go... learn something new every day. 

I've asked specifically about the core usage with Neil Brock and one of the FM engineers gave me this response

I'm not surprised, the i7 960 is a fine processor. And if that lasted a long time - the 8750H or the i5 8300h would also in theory do the same.

Capture.thumb.PNG.ee0ce4aa0cccc837760bf8bc926d283c.PNG

Yeah that reply came from me - its just a longer explanation of what I said above.

Looking at buying a cheap(ish) laptop specifically play FM. Not really wanting to spend over £700 and found the following at Curry's (I have an old laptop (which I'm currently using for FM) and could trade it in to get £50 off)

The cheap option:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-ck0521sa-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-red-10184661-pdt.html

Middle of the road option
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-ip320s-14ikb-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10169399-pdt.html

Or the budget stretch option
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc403sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10184689-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

My typical save is loading up 3 playable leagues and having a large database. I play with 2D classic and 3D for replays.

I want to go for the cheap option, but want to know if it will handle FM well. Any advice would be great.

55 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Looking at buying a cheap(ish) laptop specifically play FM. Not really wanting to spend over £700 and found the following at Curry's (I have an old laptop (which I'm currently using for FM) and could trade it in to get £50 off)

The cheap option:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-ck0521sa-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-red-10184661-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-ip320s-14ikb-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10169399-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc403sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10184689-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

My typical save is loading up 3 playable leagues and having a large database. I play with 2D classic and 3D for replays.

I want to go for the cheap option, but want to know if it will handle FM well. Any advice would be great.

The cheap one would run it, but not well. It's not a gaming quality processor, more one designed for standard workloads and watching Netflix, whilst the most important component of a computer for FM is the processor.

I'd go for either the budget stretch one, or this one: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cx0599sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10185252-pdt.html

It's the same price as the budget stretch one, but it has a higher-quality i5 processor, rather than a lower quality i7 processor, and according to the comparisons, that i5 processor is better than the i7 one in the one you linked in pretty much every way: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8300H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8550U/m425634vsm320742

17 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

The cheap option:

16 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The cheap one would run it, but not well. It's not a gaming quality processor, more one designed for standard workloads and watching Netflix, whilst the most important component of a computer for FM is the processor.

I'd go for either the budget stretch one, or this one: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cx0599sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10185252-pdt.html

It's the same price as the budget stretch one, but it has a higher-quality i5 processor, rather than a lower quality i7 processor, and according to the comparisons, that i5 processor is better than the i7 one in the one you linked in pretty much every way: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8300H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8550U/m425634vsm320742

Out of them all I'd go for @JordanMillward_1 recommended in the https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cx0599sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10185252-pdt.html

I can't find anything better :) nice find Jordan!

22 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Thank you both for your feedback. I think we have a clear winner with https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cx0599sa-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10185252-pdt.html.

Interestingly (or not), I'm in pretty much exactly the same situation as Lost Boy & am looking for a new laptop to play FM on, and would prefer to buy at Currys as I have some handy vouchers to use. 

When looking today I actually found the Lenovo Ideapad he linked and thought that one looked pretty good. Is it significantly worse than the HP? £600 is really my limit as my old laptop still works it just overheats like crazy to play FM. 

14 hours ago, Mozy said:

Interestingly (or not), I'm in pretty much exactly the same situation as Lost Boy & am looking for a new laptop to play FM on, and would prefer to buy at Currys as I have some handy vouchers to use. 

When looking today I actually found the Lenovo Ideapad he linked and thought that one looked pretty good. Is it significantly worse than the HP? £600 is really my limit as my old laptop still works it just overheats like crazy to play FM. 

If it's overheating then buy a can of compressed air and blow it through the vents on the computer to clear any dust that is building up. 

I opened up an old laptop that was overheating terribly and removed half a carpet from the fans. 

Also buy a laptop cooler.

£600 - is that including your vouchers? 

Currys have a trade in offer - maybe you could trade in your old laptop too 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc403sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10184689-pdt.html

On 31/01/2019 at 06:19, Smurf said:

I hate the way you can't find any info on components in the Surface - it just says i5 or i7 - that's not enough info to go on. 

I'd go for the Dell - at least you know what you're getting. 

The processor is decent for FM - and probably the same performance as a lot of others like the i7-7700hq and the i5-8300h.

Dell would be for me.

I think I’ll go for the Dell then. The fact it’s a workstation makes no difference I assume? 

40 minutes ago, FM-Lee said:

I think I’ll go for the Dell then. The fact it’s a workstation makes no difference I assume? 

A mobile workstation is a notebook computer with high-end computing features not typical of the notebook. High-end features include faster graphics processors, more powerful CPUs and additional memory. Because of the extra features, mobile workstations often weigh a bit more than standard laptops.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

A mobile workstation is a notebook computer with high-end computing features not typical of the notebook. High-end features include faster graphics processors, more powerful CPUs and additional memory. Because of the extra features, mobile workstations often weigh a bit more than standard laptops.

That all sounds like it would be beneficial to playing FM then? 

Many ideas if the HD panel will be better for the issue I had on the 4K panel, where colours were trailing badly?

16 hours ago, FM-Lee said:

That all sounds like it would be beneficial to playing FM then? 

Many ideas if the HD panel will be better for the issue I had on the 4K panel, where colours were trailing badly?

I honestly don't know.

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but not so new to FM. I haven't had a computer or laptop or computer for years, so my last couple of FMs have been FMT on the ipad... and one thing is kind of grinding my gears. With the lack of press conferences and team talks, it's really hard to stamp your personality on FMT (I'm also concerned about the game slowing as seasons progress, and if FMT is a less challenging experience) so I'm considering getting a laptop..

My budget? Low. Kinda really low. Ideally around the 600 euro mark. I'm not looking for high details on the 3d match engine (I mean I've been running FMT on a 4 year old ipad). And I don't care about a massive database or all leagues playable. Just a relatively big database size in comparison to FMT, and a few more available leagues then FMT provides. I have found this option:

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/refurbished-medion-erazer-p6681-core-i5-7200u-8gb-1tb-dvd-rw-geforce-gtx-1050-15.6-inch-windows-10-gaming-laptop-a130022991

What do you think about the specs? As you can imagine, I'm not an expert on laptops.. can I go cheaper and get what I need?

Cheers

Hi Guys

Looking for new laptop  

Budget £800 - (£900 at a push).

not sure what to look for?

I guess a gaming machine, quad core, 2.5ghz or above,

8-16 ram, 1tb SSD and a disc drive.

prefer a 17" screen also.

Anything out there like this guys?

TIA

1 hour ago, Tomdurka said:

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but not so new to FM. I haven't had a computer or laptop or computer for years, so my last couple of FMs have been FMT on the ipad... and one thing is kind of grinding my gears. With the lack of press conferences and team talks, it's really hard to stamp your personality on FMT (I'm also concerned about the game slowing as seasons progress, and if FMT is a less challenging experience) so I'm considering getting a laptop..

My budget? Low. Kinda really low. Ideally around the 600 euro mark. I'm not looking for high details on the 3d match engine (I mean I've been running FMT on a 4 year old ipad). And I don't care about a massive database or all leagues playable. Just a relatively big database size in comparison to FMT, and a few more available leagues then FMT provides. I have found this option:

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/refurbished-medion-erazer-p6681-core-i5-7200u-8gb-1tb-dvd-rw-geforce-gtx-1050-15.6-inch-windows-10-gaming-laptop-a130022991

What do you think about the specs? As you can imagine, I'm not an expert on laptops.. can I go cheaper and get what I need?

Cheers

I wouldn't go for that one

This is refurbed - https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/refurbished-acer-aspire-a715-71g-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-and-128gb-geforce-gtx-1050-15.6-inch-windows-10-gaming-laptop-a2nx.gp8ek.002

You would need to contact them to ensure condition is ok.

3 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi Guys

Looking for new laptop  

TIA

Recommend this

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-17C612-043-MSI-GL73-8RD-043UK_2322971.html

11 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I wouldn't go for that one

This is refurbed - https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/refurbished-acer-aspire-a715-71g-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-and-128gb-geforce-gtx-1050-15.6-inch-windows-10-gaming-laptop-a2nx.gp8ek.002

You would need to contact them to ensure condition is ok.

4 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Hold the phone!

https://www.ebuyer.com/841505-asus-tuf-gaming-fx504gd-1050-gaming-laptop-fx504gd-e4603t?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pricespy&utm_campaign=pcomp

(sorry that's a 15 inch)... 

Edited by Smurf

Am ‎30‎.‎01‎.‎2019 um 15:43 schrieb Smurf:

@Gerd Muller

Better processor = better performance, overall. 

People come here with a budget, I just find the best one in their budget. And most of the time the 1050 2gb is the lowest I will go, depending on budget, I've even given people to links for lower GPUs or none at all.

But if there's a 1050 4gb TI there and it's in budget I'll suggest that, similarly if it's a 1060 or 1080 as long as it's in their budget.  Yes - get the best single core performance processor you can afford. That will get you by for a few years anyway for FM. I don't know if FM will ever move to 64 bit, or start using more cores... at the moment and the last I heard there wasn't any plans to. 

My main goal here is to help people buy something that will run FM for at least 5 years, and not to make the same mistake I did. I bought a beast of a machine for FM12, and when FM13 came out it couldn't be played. I totally bought wrong and spent a lot of money doing it. 

7 years on - I'm here, helping people avoid the mistake I made - when you buy a computer you have a budget.

And you helped me a lot to decide which would be the right one for me, i just wanted to sare what i learned since then and would recommend additionally, and i totally saw especially on budget it is just best to invest in single core Performance, RAM can help to a Point, but if on a budget and for FM i would say even if better is always better you can save a lot if getting an i5 instead of i7. I think the FM sweetspot really is defined by the realization ist really mostly single core speed and you can save a lot by not burning your budget in mutliple cores and graphic cards and get a very fast performing FM still, while so much Money can be burned on the oter aspects with so Little gain. I hold that true for future versions also, i doubt those core principles will be totally lost from one version to the next. So i would try to hit that sweet spot, if you can save now it will even make it easier to hit the spot aain in a few years, while overpowering doesnt give you much more perfomrance of the game now and is unlikely to still be the powerful machine you want in the future.

16 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi Guys

Looking for new laptop  

TIA

Sorry - got a bit frantic with my posts this is a nice 17 inch

https://www.ebuyer.com/864962-asus-tuf-fx705gd-gtx-1050-4gb-gaming-laptop-fx705gd-ew101t

We discussed a lot on the forums the advantages over an i7 and an i5 - and basically - the performance for FM based on this particular i5 processor against the i7 version is nearly identical (i7 wins a bit).

But for cost saving it's quite good. 

Other than that - the other i7 8750 h linked above is the best bet.https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-17C612-043-MSI-GL73-8RD-043UK_2322971.html

I have the lower one, its the best bet really and got it for 900 Euro even months ago...if you want to be a clever guy and buy the one you get most for your penny without missing a bit ,take the upper one, for FM there will be so little difference you will never regret having not spent the money. If you ask me today i would take the smaller one and take the difference in money back. That is only for FM though, i am Surfing, playing FM, EU IV and CK II only basically, for every other thing it is a totally different picture of course.

Edited by GerdMuller

Hi guys

Looking for a cheap PC with good processor (I have good monitor, keyboard and mouse). Must be HDMI. 

Happy to buy refurb if required. What's the best I can get for £150-£250 that will run FM19 fine? Will only really use for internet apart from that!

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Sorry - got a bit frantic with my posts this is a nice 17 inch

https://www.ebuyer.com/864962-asus-tuf-fx705gd-gtx-1050-4gb-gaming-laptop-fx705gd-ew101t

We discussed a lot on the forums the advantages over an i7 and an i5 - and basically - the performance for FM based on this particular i5 processor against the i7 version is nearly identical (i7 wins a bit).

But for cost saving it's quite good. 

Other than that - the other i7 8750 h linked above is the best bet.https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-17C612-043-MSI-GL73-8RD-043UK_2322971.html

Thanks Smurf and leaning towards msi one,

just wondered if you've seen any others before I take final plunge

as that's right on my limit

1 hour ago, thnigelfc said:

Thanks Smurf and leaning towards msi one,

just wondered if you've seen any others before I take final plunge

as that's right on my limit

Battery can be a bit small on the MSI - meaning not plugged in it won't last long - if it's always plugged in that's grand. 

Check out the battery life on both.

41 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Battery can be a bit small on the MSI - meaning not plugged in it won't last long - if it's always plugged in that's grand. 

Check out the battery life on both.

Battery wouldn't be a problem on the MSI,

looks aren't everything but MSI does look better.

Not sure about 128sd for fm19 seems a bit small?

or would I be better loading fm onto the hd?

49 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Battery wouldn't be a problem on the MSI,

looks aren't everything but MSI does look better.

Not sure about 128sd for fm19 seems a bit small?

or would I be better loading fm onto the hd?

Yeh ssd for FM doesn't matter that much, so that's what I have a 128 ssd and the OS is loaded on that. 

Everything else is installed on the 1tb drive.

8 hours ago, vsz999 said:

Hi guys

Looking for a cheap PC with good processor (I have good monitor, keyboard and mouse). Must be HDMI. 

Happy to buy refurb if required. What's the best I can get for £150-£250 that will run FM19 fine? Will only really use for internet apart from that!

£150-£250 that'll run FM19? Even refurb, you won't get much more than a netbook that wouldn't come close to playing FM for that much. To play FM, you're looking really at £600 minimum, and that's if you spot a particularly decent sale price or deal.