My Little Showerthought on Formations

OK, so over hte last ten years nearly I have been playing every version of FM. I can live with this but it is something that I occasionally question, especially at start of save/new version/when creating a tactic from scratch.

Now, when I see a 4-1-4-1 in the dropdown menu of the tactic creator, I kind of expect a back four, a DM, a flat midfield of four, and a striker. Yet here I am, selecting a 4141 to get a 4-1-2-3 formation, well, at least it USED to be called a 4-1-2-3DM. I have also seen it as a 4-3-3. 

I come to the forums and read about someone's 4-3-3 Wide and then they post pictures of a 4-1-2-3DM. Yet in the same version of the game I play a 4-1-2-3 and have players in exactly the same positions.

Like I say, it's not a biggie, but some consistency would be nice. The formation is surely the position on the pitch, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-1-2-3, 4-3-3 etc from the defense through the strata to the Striker

So now, in FM19 I am playing a 4-1-4-1, using the same formation as I did in FM18 where it was 4-1-2-3DM. (or was it a 4-3-3?) with a defensive formation of 5-3-2, or should that be 3-2-3-2, or 3-5-2?

i could see a confusion with the 4-3-3 wide, against a 4-3-2-1 with both IF in Attack since those are rated as forwards but it is true, there are a lot of weird formation naming i remember using a 4-1-2-3 Wide in 16 and in 17 the same formation its called 4-3-2-1...and the formation is not even similar to the christmas tree!

im guessing the problem here is changing the roles, since DLP in Support at CM can be labeled as a DM in the formation, even more if at his side is an offensive minded role, as i said before, AML and AMR can be labeled as Forwards depending on their role AND the role of the forward

in short, the Roles are actually the problem, they change the formation name depending on the roles surrounding it, Si should change that so the Formation are called the same as the formation tab is presented, only changing if the forward is support or the Wingers are Offensive

1 hour ago, WorcesterLegend said:

i could see a confusion with the 4-3-3 wide, against a 4-3-2-1 with both IF in Attack since those are rated as forwards but it is true, there are a lot of weird formation naming i remember using a 4-1-2-3 Wide in 16 and in 17 the same formation its called 4-3-2-1...and the formation is not even similar to the christmas tree!

im guessing the problem here is changing the roles, since DLP in Support at CM can be labeled as a DM in the formation, even more if at his side is an offensive minded role, as i said before, AML and AMR can be labeled as Forwards depending on their role AND the role of the forward

in short, the Roles are actually the problem, they change the formation name depending on the roles surrounding it, Si should change that so the Formation are called the same as the formation tab is presented, only changing if the forward is support or the Wingers are Offensive

Yeah - that's the nail well and truly hit on the head, and was what I was assuming was happening as well. Although earlier versions would have 'Attacking 4-1-2-3'  depending on the roles/duties.

Now that the Tactic screen has the squares on it, why not just use that grid as the basis. The strata are easy to see, the player positions are defined by a grid square. I realise that they are referred to differently in the real world of football, but for FM purposes more consistency would make life simpler - not just on the forums!

2 hours ago, Piperita said:

Yeah, this is really bugging me too! Especially as I'm playing the old version of the 4141 DM right now and can't really talk about it or search for alternatives without causing a lot of confusion. 

Ahhh, but are you sure it is actually a 4-1-4-1? :hammer:

hace 12 horas, Snorks dijo:

Yeah - that's the nail well and truly hit on the head, and was what I was assuming was happening as well. Although earlier versions would have 'Attacking 4-1-2-3'  depending on the roles/duties.

Now that the Tactic screen has the squares on it, why not just use that grid as the basis. The strata are easy to see, the player positions are defined by a grid square. I realise that they are referred to differently in the real world of football, but for FM purposes more consistency would make life simpler - not just on the forums!

now that you mention RL football i remember some time ago that a team (can remember what team was) used a 4-2-4 (put in the pre game TV stuff) and when the game started it was a flat 4-4-2...the IF didn't even go that high to be IF or go into the box in a Ronaldo/messi like way they where regular winger...

real life does this a lot i guess...Zidane's 4-4-2 will not be the same as the 4-4-2 from Valverde, i guess that what the game tries to do?...i don't think so, since the TV normally simplifies the info so the non technical viewer can understand...maybe someone from SI can explain this? but i guess the answer is, as i said above, a combination of Roles that leads to a change in the name

Archived