FM09 Memory

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Externals are generally alot slower.
I think all externals are slower than internal drives aren't they? Unless you can fork out for a fire wire drive or something?
Any application you install will write files to odd places and relies on the registry to keep track of all the odds and ends. Installing to an external drive should be ok for the comp you run the installer from, but trying to run it on a second comp will not work. The external drive would be fine for save games etc. just not the actual install.

Cheers guys, you've been a great help. I'll start researching external drives to keep my music etc on. Any recommendations for a computer novice? I'll go up to about 50-60 squids.

Cheers guys, you've been a great help. I'll start researching external drives to keep my music etc on. Any recommendations for a computer novice? I'll go up to about 50-60 squids.

If you just want it to store music, I don't think there's a particular brand to look out for, just make sure that it mentions support for usb 2.0.

33mb is not a lot to have spare regardless of your hard disk size.

Would suggest you download this tool here (http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html) and run that and see how much it clears out. You will be surprised at the crap you can find and remove when you run that tool :)

Big thank you for that link...jags4ever

Spendid programme.

Picked up errors even the most popular removal tools missed

Would highly recommend this to anyone..and its completely free too :thup:

Big thank you for that link...jags4ever

Spendid programme.

Picked up errors even the most popular removal tools missed

Would highly recommend this to anyone..and its completely free too :thup:

Yeah I agree, I downloaded this and this is the tool that helped me sort out my problem. Cheers Jags.

the main thing that takes up alot of memory on xp is system restore points, use the disk cleanup manager and remove all but the latest system restore point by clicking more options and then cleanup in the system restore point section.

on my old laptop i saved over 10gb.

That IOBit AWC is a great little utility (as is ccleaner). :thup:

As for Vista, damn thing sure likes making shadow copies of itself...it used about 7GB of my HD within the first few weeks of owning my new lappy when I got it...I just couldn't understand where all my space was going!!!

Archived