I was curious how to get the best youth intake. I found this old post. https://fmguido.com/guide-optimize-youth-intake-fm/

It has

1)Hire the best head of Youth Development.

2)Scouting Network

3)Junior Coaching

4)Best Staff

5)Youth Facilities

Also one last question. I have read that what player position you get depends on your head of Youth Development..

I have a 424 wide tactic.  AML S S AMR

MC MC

LD CD CD RD

It might be hard to find a Head of Youth Development with a 4 2 4 tactic. What would be a good substitute to look for?

I agree with the criteria noted above about getting a better youth intake.  I would, however, suggest that the HOYD will have little or no impact on the player positions that your youth intake provides

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I agree with the criteria noted above about getting a better youth intake.  I would, however, suggest that the HOYD will have little or no impact on the player positions that your youth intake provides

I had also heard that HoYD preferred formation influenced the players coming through, it's an idea that's been floating around a while now - good to have you clear things up a bit Fraz.

Just now, Snorks said:

I had also heard that HoYD preferred formation influenced the players coming through, it's an idea that's been floating around a while now - good to have you clear things up a bit Fraz.

Again, I cannot see how the HOYD's preferred formation will have any impact of the players he finds- he is identifying players across the board for a 15-year career and surely wouldn't turn down a talented player just because that player doesn't fit into his preferred formation ( which may, of course, differ from yours!).  Personally, I think that this is a myth.

4 minutes ago, Damedius said:

Does personality of your Head of Youth Development matter?

The one with the best stats is unambitious. I remember reading somewhere that this would rub off on the players.

Cant help but think that this attribute is quite important for getting the best out of youngsters, so maybe look at others.

1 minute ago, FrazT said:

Cant help but think that this attribute is quite important for getting the best out of youngsters, so maybe look at others.

I didn't think about looking until after I signed him. Looks like I'm going to have to eat his contract. 180/wk for 56 weeks.

2 hours ago, Damedius said:

Does personality of your Head of Youth Development matter?

The one with the best stats is unambitious. I remember reading somewhere that this would rub off on the players.

He has the ability to influence a few of the youngsters coming through, so it's not going to help some of the youngsters' personalities. Personality, imo, is one of the most important things a HoYD should have.

For what it's worth, this is an area that I think could do with some improvement from the design side. Just some more general feedback each time you get your Youth Intake beyond "Well do everything better (facilities, recruitment, coaching etc..)" and "HoYD got you these two players". That tends not to help much in the sense of how do you improve your youth intake.

Just info that will help you actually manage a bit and improve your Intake, without completely giving away all the things that go into this (and how much each thing impacts).

Anyway, just plugging my own thread - but on the Feature Requests forum I posted an idea with a screenshot of something nice. It's about halfway down the FR forum if you're interested/curious.

17 hours ago, FrazT said:

If it is an important stat it should be highlighted on the hoyd stats in addition to the Jpa  and jpp 

17 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

He has the ability to influence a few of the youngsters coming through, so it's not going to help some of the youngsters' personalities. Personality, imo, is one of the most important things a HoYD should have.

Reading this just posed an interesting dilemma. About half a season ago I was looking for HYDs, ended up staying with mine. One of the candidates was Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Initially I laughed, I just imagined a scene kinda like:

I tell you kids, you can all be great. You can all aspire to be number 2 in the world. Zlatan is number 1 forever.

That, along with his poor stats (Working with Youngsters 5 , Judging CA 10, PA 9) made me discard him as an option. He's a perfeccionist though. My current HYD is resolute, and I can hire a Determined one aswell.

Should I actually risk going for Ibra or stay with my resolute (or get the determined HYD) ?

There's a trade off here. Personality can influence a few youngsters to have the same personality. Other than that, he can influence a "freak" newgen, so both would be nice.

20 hours ago, Sffc said:

Reading this just posed an interesting dilemma. About half a season ago I was looking for HYDs, ended up staying with mine. One of the candidates was Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Initially I laughed, I just imagined a scene kinda like:

I tell you kids, you can all be great. You can all aspire to be number 2 in the world. Zlatan is number 1 forever.

That, along with his poor stats (Working with Youngsters 5 , Judging CA 10, PA 9) made me discard him as an option. He's a perfeccionist though. My current HYD is resolute, and I can hire a Determined one aswell.

Should I actually risk going for Ibra or stay with my resolute (or get the determined HYD) ?

I got Zlatan in at AC Milan as u18 manager on FM18 - he was awesome!  I can see it not working at clubs without a very good youth recruitment though - at Milan, every intake had at least one potential world-class kid coming through.

So I ended up mutually terminating that contract three months later but not before 2 of my youth players were afflicted by unambitious personalities. (TBH they could have had these before and I missed them)

I hired someone new who is Professional. Unfortunately I had to give up a bit of Judging potential. It's only 9. I'm hoping that's enough because I'm only in the VNL.

9 is respectable I think for regional leagues.

As for his JPP being a problem, all it means AFAIK is that he will give you a 3* PA when in fact he may be a 4*, or a 2*. In lower leagues, it is often worth signing the whole intake anyway, on short contracts, and seeing for yourself how they develop. 

Even in the big leagues I tend to just sign the entire intake. I used to only sign above a certain potential cutoff, but since FM18 I've gone off the whole "mass trafficking of u18s" approach to youth development so there's less of a risk of just having too many players to manage as often I'll get an intake with one outstanding prospect and nobody else above 2 yellow & 1 black star, yet upon signing they're rated higher and ultimately become useful either for myself or whoever I sell to. If someone's rated awfully and has a terrible personality I get rid though.

21 hours ago, FrazT said:

No- attributes are much more important than having a big personality IMO

Why when hoyd stats don't mean anything for intake. It's all done through the junior coaching and youth recruitment tab? 

At least that's my understanding. 

For what it's worth I'm experimenting alot of ways with different hoyd at the end of 18 and start of 19. 19 may have changed but finding going by tactics then personality best working for me. Sample is still too small to judge luck tho 

5 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Even in the big leagues I tend to just sign the entire intake. I used to only sign above a certain potential cutoff, but since FM18 I've gone off the whole "mass trafficking of u18s" approach to youth development so there's less of a risk of just having too many players to manage as often I'll get an intake with one outstanding prospect and nobody else above 2 yellow & 1 black star, yet upon signing they're rated higher and ultimately become useful either for myself or whoever I sell to. If someone's rated awfully and has a terrible personality I get rid though.

It depends on how easy or difficult it is for me to sign u18 players from other clubs. I either scout all the intakes at the top acadamies, then make sure I have two u18s in each position for my tactics. Sign any intake player with 3* PA or above and fill the gaps using scouts and transfers. If not easy (Brexit) to sign youth, then I would sign everyone from intake.

6 hours ago, wardog said:

Why when hoyd stats don't mean anything for intake. It's all done through the junior coaching and youth recruitment tab? 

At least that's my understanding. 

For what it's worth I'm experimenting alot of ways with different hoyd at the end of 18 and start of 19. 19 may have changed but finding going by tactics then personality best working for me. Sample is still too small to judge luck tho 

TBF, I did answer this right below FrazT's post.  ;)

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

TBF, I did answer this right below FrazT's post.  ;)

Yeah was just a curiousity thing. I don't know best way yet so just like to question others and pick brains.

On 06/11/2018 at 05:44, FrazT said:

Again, I cannot see how the HOYD's preferred formation will have any impact of the players he finds- he is identifying players across the board for a 15-year career and surely wouldn't turn down a talented player just because that player doesn't fit into his preferred formation ( which may, of course, differ from yours!).  Personally, I think that this is a myth.

But from what I understand, in this other thread a couple of SI staff and moderator suggested that occasionally it will have an impact to the type of newgens recruited, as one of several factors involved.

The HOYD may affect youth player's positions and attributes a little but I still cant see how his preferred formation will have much or any effect on youth development- but I might be wrong.  Whatever it is, it can only be of minimal impact, given all the other contributing factors IMO

@Seb Wassell said on that particular post to the effect that HOYD preferences are counted as influencing factors though, so there's definitely a certain degree of effect on youth recruitment (i.e. the players he finds,) however small that impact would be overall. Thus, it can't be dismissed as a myth.

For me, the HoYD is a piece of a puzzle. 

A positive personality would mean he would try harder to sign the best he can. Also a professional HoYD would only want professional players. An unprofessional HoYD would sign his mates kids, for example, no matter how good they are. An ambitious HoYD would want players who have the drive to be the best. Etc etc

The judging attributes I'd say judging potential is far more important than ability. He's not bringing players in to play 1st team football straight away, he's bringing in youngsters to hopefully feature in the first team. 

Another aspect is reputation of HoYD. I'll use Zlatan as an example. His reputation in football is very high. Players would want to sign for him. 

Preferred formation can have a bearing, a basic 4-4-2 they sign a natural CM but accomplished DM/AMC. A 5-3-2 with wing backs DMC and AMC  you increase the chances go getting a natural in those positions. Also you can get wingers who won't ever fit into that formation without extensive retraining.