FM19: Liverpool - Success Has Many Fathers

TheJanitor

Liverpool F.C.

RLPKZ0s.jpg

Welcome to the FM19 Liverpool thread! Liverpool Football Club is a professional football club playing in the Premier Division, the top tier of English football.

History

The club was founded by John Houlding in 1892 and play their football at the legendary Anfield stadium since its inception. They joined the Football League Second Division at the beginning of the 1893/94 season and were promoted at the end of it, after finishing first place. They won their first First Division in 1901. They continue to win it in 1906, 1922, 1923 and 1947.

Relegation to the second division occurred after the 1953/54 season. In 1959, Bill Shankly was appointed as head coach, releasing 24 players and creating the famous "Boot Room", a boot storage room where he would discuss tactics with his coaches. Under his tutelage, the club was promoted back to the first division in 1962 and won the league in 1964, 1966 and 1973, as well as their first UEFA Cup in 1973 and first FA Cup in 1965 and again in 1974. Soon after, Shankly retired and was succeeded by his assistant and Boot Room member, Bill Paisley. During his 9 year tenure as The Reds manager, the club won six League titles, three consecutive League Cups, a UEFA Cup and to top it all, three European Cups.

In 1983, Joe Fagan replaced Paisley and his debut season Liverpool became the first English club to win three trophies in one season - the League title, the League Cup and a European Cup. Two years later, the club's most legendary player Kenny Dalglish was appointed as manager and added three League titles and two FA cups to Liverpool's trophy cabinet until his retirement in 1991, including the last League title in the club history at the end of the 1989/90 season.

The nineties were fairly barren for Liverpool, as they won the FA Cup once and a League Cup once. In 1998, Gerard Houllier was appointed as head coach and he improved the club's fortunes, winning a unique "treble" in 2001 of a UEFA Cup, FA Cup, and League Cup. He added another League Cup after two seasons. During Gerard's tenure, some of the future's most important Liverpool players rose to fame, including Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and the future "Captain Fantastic" Steven Gerrard.

In 2005, under the helm of Rafa Benitez, Liverpool won the European Cup, now the Champions League, for the fifth time in the club's history, ranking Liverpool third in the list of the tournament winners. They won their last FA Cup in 2006, and in the 2008/09 season, a side featuring Carragher and Gerrard, along with Xabi Alonso, Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano, and Pepe Reina, achieved 86 points, Liverpool's highest PL total, and were only 4 points behind eventual champions, Manchester United.

Benitez left the club before the start of the 2010/11 season. After a short period under Roy Hodgson, the returning Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool, now under new and more giving owners, appointed the very popular Jurgen Klopp as the man who would lead the club forward.

Club Honors:

• League Champions (18) - 1901, 1906, 1922, 1923, 1947, 1964, 1966, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990
  • Champions League Winners (5) - 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005
  • EURO Cup Winners (3) - 1973, 1976, 2001
  • FA Cup Winners (7) - 1965, 1974, 1986, 1989, 1992, 2001, 2006
  • League Cup Winners (8) - 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1995, 2001, 2003, 2012
  • European Super Cup Winners (3) - 1977, 2001, 2005
  • Community Shield Winners (15) - 1964, 1965, 1966, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1989, 1990, 2001, 2006
Edited by TheJanitor

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facilities

igP2hm9.png

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

lk0HUZ7.pnglB0qVnV.png

13 - Alisson Becker - This summer's major signing. One of the best sweeper-keepers in the game and at 25 could be your man between the posts for at least a decade. Professional personality as well. 

22 - Simon Mignolet - The club's former #1. More of an old-school keeper, and nowhere near Alisson, but should be a very reliable back up for you in the first season. Another one with a great personality - Resolute, which is my favorite for tutoring.

Center Backs

WlrE0yE.pngLTGd4dz.png

jcu0emw.pnge7LdKdB.png

4 - Virgil van Dijk - The world's most expansive defender, the Virgil is your star defender. Monsterous defensive attributes, unbeatable in the air, elegant on the ball and a leader at the back. This guy is the complete defender. Never, ever lose him.

6 - Dejan Lovren - Degsy had a turbulent career at Liverpool, but last season he cemented himself as van Dijk's first choice partner and followed with a good World Cup showing. Very similar to VVD in terms of attributes, just not as good. Starts off injured for the opening six weeks to three months.

12 - Joe Gomez - The preferred choice during Lovren's injury. Can play across the backline, but is best as a center back. The 21 years old brings something else to the table with his speed and less aggressive defensive style. Somewhat of a Kolo Toure to VVD's Sol Campbell. Definitely got the potential to become the first choice for you, so make sure to give him time.

32 - Joel Matip - Joined the club in 2016 and seemed exactly like what we needed in his debut season - a calm, classy defender. Sadly, injuries and inconsistency lowered his stock and right now he finds himself the 4th choice. Still a very capable defender and a good personality, Matip might be an ideal first choice for some of you in the first season. Starts injured. 

Right Backs

x5TS2Lu.pngVV4St1H.png

66 - Trent Alexander-Arnold - The brightest academy graduate in recent years, an excellent attacking full-back who is also capable of playing in the middle of the pitch. Only 19 years old and already one of the best fullbacks in the Premier League. Potential captain material for the future as well.

2 - Nathaniel Clyne - Starts off transfer listed, I think he might be worth keeping for the first season. Brings a different, more defensively minded style of play compared to Alexander-Arnold with his better Marking, Tackling, Bravery, Positioning and Teamwork. English as well, good personality and competent at left back.

Left Back

S0NR3bg.png1BTTetf.png

26 - Andrew Robertson - A revelation last season, Robertson shored up the club's problematic LB position and won the fans over very quickly. A real 7/10 player, good cross, quick, hardworking and an excellent team player. The first choice no doubt.

18 - Alberto Moreno - One of the relics of the Brendan Rodgers area, some fans believe Moreno's time at the club should come to an end. While there's no rush to get rid of him in the first season, I do recommend looking for a replacement sooner rather than later. Very good physically but lacks mental and technical qualities.

Midfielders

1XC8Grl.pnglmfKeVX.png

I12qn4R.pngJpWZq2R.pngM2mU0jZ.png

3 - Fabinho - A summer signing from Monaco, the Brazilian is a mobile and ball-playing defensive midfielder. Quite adventurous PPMs as well, like Gets Into Opposition Area and Tries Long Passes. Can play at right back as well.

5 - Georginho Wijnaldum - Another well rounded and versatile player. To me, the best option within the starting squad to play as a DLP who is more of a controller than a Hollywood passer.

7 - James Milner - One of the greatest free transfers in the Premier League history. the never-ending Milner is a brilliant utility player, capable of playing in midfield, out wide and even at fullback as he displayed in the 2016/17 season. Very hard-working and fit, as well as a Professional personality.

8 - Naby Keita - Very highly rated Keita joins us this season after his transfer was arranged at the beginning of the last one. Great Dribbling, Agility, and Technique make him highly press-resistant.

14 - Jordan Henderson - Club captain, his role on the pitch has evolved in recent years from a box to box midfielder to more a deep-lying playmaker. Determined, diligent and technically proficient.

Attacking Midfielders

YuaBEcw.png2smNn3A.pngd6MJSU5.png

20 - Adam Lallana - Probably the closest to an old-fashioned "#10" at the club. Good Dribbling, First Touch, Technique and Flair with a hard-working edge. Suspect to injuries and in his 30's, but has a good personality and is English.

21 - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Sadly injured for up to 11 months, a decision about him should be made after he returns. If he hasn't deteriorated much, could still be a key player in your squad. Great at driving into the opposition due to his speed and dribbling ability.

23 - Xherdan Shaqiri - Another new face at the club, capable of playing on each flank or in the #10 position. Full of flair, a powerful dribble, and vision while also being an accomplished set pieces taker. Lacks a bit of Teamwork and Work Rate.

Forwards

oDLLkJP.pnghtsKMOv.pngnNiW3HT.png

7P2Eyyi.pngA6ZBkXP.png3t11z4o.png

9 - Roberto Firmino - Equally capable upfront or as an attacking midfielder. His intelligence and ability to hold up play make him an excellent false nine. Not very quick or physically strong, but his clever movement and finishing mean he could also do well in a more goal-oriented role. 

10 - Sadio Mane - A very direct, pacy player who can naturally play on both wings, whether as an inside forward or as a winger.

11 - Mohamed Salah - The star attacker, Salah scored 32 goals in his debut season at the club and will probably be the first name on your team sheet. World class attacker with great speed, finishing, and mental attributes.

15 - Daniel Sturridge - Very prone to injuries, on a £130K per-week and in the last year of his contract, it might be a good idea to cash in on Sturridge. Should you keep him, you have a very reliable goal-scorer on your hands.

27 - Divock Origi - Another forward on his last year, Big Div is a great athlete, but lacks in movement and ability in front of the goal, as well as creative ability. For me, it's hard to see a way he could hang around for more than a season.

29 - Dominic Solanke - Joined from Chelsea last season and showed glimpses of his potential. A very well rounded striker, with solid Finishing, First Touch and Off The Ball for his age, definitely look to develop him in the first season and see how things are going.

Youth Prospects

Not a whole lot to begin with, but some interesting prospects. Ben Woodburn probably the best in terms of current ability, while Rhian Brewster, Harry Wilson, and Curtis Jones are also worth mentioning.

Verdict

You have a very good squad at your disposal. Quite a few players who are well-rounded which means you can play different styles since the beginning. Not a lot to do in the first season in terms of transfers. I usually start without the first window but if you do, replacing the likes of Mignolet and Moreno would be a good start. If you sell Sturridge and Origi, maybe get another forward who is more of an old-fashion #9 in comparison to Firmino.

Edited by TheJanitor

Managed to sell Lallana to Arsenal for £80m (60m upfront and 20m over 36 months).

Also sold Origi to Napoli for £25m (20m upfront and 5m over 36 months). Had to target Napoli when offering him out.

Sold Markovic to Atalanta for £10.5m (8.5m upfront and 2m over 36 months with 20% of profit from next sale.)

I will try to sell Moreno in Jan.  Hes a good backup until then i feel.

Offering Sturridge a new contract, purely to sell him for a good amount after a season or so. Hes a good backup for now.

Going to buy de Ligt then looking to sell Matip or Lovren, tho both are injured at the start so might be tough.

Might buy Tierney if i sell Moreno, and also going to buy Moise Kean and either Fekir or Chiesa.

Edited by Siven

10 hours ago, Siven said:

Managed to sell Lallana to Arsenal for £80m (60m upfront and 20m over 36 months).

Haha, I figured you were full of shyte... but it actually worked. I thought £50m was a good price, but £80m? For an injury prone 30 year old? Nice doing business with you, Arsenal. Come again.

Edited by mersk

Yet to start my final save, played around a bit and worked some stuff out..

Think my signings will be Tierney, De Ligt.

Also peoples, the game generates a few NewGens as soon as game loads up, hunt for them cause there is usually 5-6 real good ones. Check Germany, Belgium mostly.

40 minutes ago, eastley said:

Yet to start my final save, played around a bit and worked some stuff out..

Think my signings will be Tierney, De Ligt.

Also peoples, the game generates a few NewGens as soon as game loads up, hunt for them cause there is usually 5-6 real good ones. Check Germany, Belgium mostly.

Ooh awesome 9n the regens thanks. Will hunt them down :D

So im on December 31st, top by a point but Everton are a point behind with a game in hand. Man City are in 10th and been awful - same for anyone else?

I started with the first window switched off, but in January i've got the following arranged:

In: Butland, Tierney, Lozano and a young striker from PSV (not at computer so cant check name and prices)

Out: Simon 'Miggles' Mignolet, Moreno, Origi, Solanke, Matip (he wanted to leave when R.Madrid showed interest so I sold him to Soton :D )

Playing the Control Possession 4-3-3 with Fabinho and Henderson alternating in DM (DLP) and then Keita, Milner, Wiji alternating the other 2 spots. 

Mane and salah both on IF with Firminho as DLF att. Been keeping lots of clean sheets and goals from all across the team, got 8 players on 4-6 goals so spreading them out well. Lallana will be next sold I think but hes started doing well for me on AML IF, and Sturdidge has got some crucial goals too so earnt a new contract. Want to do 3 seasons and blood some youth before moving to manage abroad!

9 hours ago, glenn28 said:

Great thread just started a new save wont sign anyone in season 1 will in season 2 or even in January will also will make changes to my backroom staff 

Thanks, you play exactly like I do. I find it more realistic and also it streamlines the game for me at the start. 

5 hours ago, Steve Cobble said:

So im on December 31st, top by a point but Everton are a point behind with a game in hand. Man City are in 10th and been awful - same for anyone else?

Man City were 2nd bottom at Xmas on mine, sacked Guardiola and replaced with Klopp, they are now 6th (middle of March)

In september of my second season, won the league, CL, carabao cup and FA cup in my first season and now I won community shield and super cup. Not sure if I'll bother playing much more, but I always have to start of with a Liverpool save in beta.

My current team:

GKs: Alisson, Mignolet and Ivan Martinez

Full-backs: Trent, Clyne, Robertson, Moreno and Vagnoman

CBs: Van Dijk, Manolas, Gomez, Matip

DMs & CMs: Sergej M-Savic, Lucas Paqueta, Keita, Hendo, Milner, Lallana, Chirivella and Fabinho

Wingers and strikers: Mbappe, Salah, Mane, Moise Kean, Ox, Harry Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster and Firmino

Bought Mbappe, Savic and Vagnoman this summer, the rest was with me last season as well. Sold Lovren, Gini, Origi, Shaq and loaned out Solanke after my first season and sold Markovic and Sturridge immediately.

First year I feel our squad is pretty much complete at the start of the game. Nice feeling, but not really much to work on for a FM save for me.

I have always spent the cash available at games start, if I took over from Klopp and they said you got $XYZ left for transfers, I would likely spend it.

In saying that, here is my transfers.

OUT
Lallana 71m (80m)
Moreno 16.25m
Sturridge 22m
Origi 16m (22.5m)
Markovic 10m

IN
Tierney 26.5m
de Ligt 36.5m
Joao Felix 35m
Fiete Arp 17.25m
Myron Boadu 8.5m
Nikola Milenkovic 33.5m

As you can see, I scouted these players when the Beta was live, lol. Defence depth is a must due to the insane amount of injuries I usually get.

5 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

In september of my second season, won the league, CL, carabao cup and FA cup in my first season and now I won community shield and super cup. Not sure if I'll bother playing much more, but I always have to start of with a Liverpool save in beta.

My current team:

GKs: Alisson, Mignolet and Ivan Martinez

Full-backs: Trent, Clyne, Robertson, Moreno and Vagnoman

CBs: Van Dijk, Manolas, Gomez, Matip

DMs & CMs: Sergej M-Savic, Lucas Paqueta, Keita, Hendo, Milner, Lallana, Chirivella and Fabinho

Wingers and strikers: Mbappe, Salah, Mane, Moise Kean, Ox, Harry Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster and Firmino

Bought Mbappe, Savic and Vagnoman this summer, the rest was with me last season as well. Sold Lovren, Gini, Origi, Shaq and loaned out Solanke after my first season and sold Markovic and Sturridge immediately.

First year I feel our squad is pretty much complete at the start of the game. Nice feeling, but not really much to work on for a FM save for me.

You bought mbappe???

Still doing my first season. turned off transfers for the first window.

Really struggled with consistency and scoring early on, but now going pretty well. It's mid April and there is a 3 horse race for the title with me, City and Chelsea. Also will play City in the FA Cup final.

In January I made some business as I wanted to get rid of a few players. Sold Sturridge, Moreno, Lallana, Wij, Markovic and Matip.

Brought in Pavon, Arp, Dias, Paqueta and a few youngsters. Got to say Paqueta is brilliant, been so good from the moment I bought him.

12 hours ago, Steve Cobble said:

You bought mbappe???

Yeah, felt like I lacked top-quality depth up top and wanted someone who could rotate between any one of Firmino, Salah and Mane. Paid £110m up front and £60m over three years. Got a combined fee of about £180m for Grujic, Lovren, Gini, Shaq and Origi so figured I could splash the cash on a couple of truly world class players (Mbappe and Milinkovic-Savic).

havent started a proper save yet. just tinkering about to see what transfers can be done in season 1. when i do start i'll take transfers off and start with the squad as is altho i may cancel the loans of Woodburn and Wilson as i'd like to use them from the get go

8 minutes ago, Siven said:

Whats everyone doing with Sturridge?

Selling straight away? Try to sell in Jan? or offer new contract?

I gave him a new contract, managed to get him on slightly lowered wages too so it made sense. Planning on selling him next summer - I'm only 2 games in so far.

How are people finding Salah? I seem to find the ME doesn't suit him and isn't scoring enough for me. I'm playing a 4-3-3 tika taka with Salah on the right and he just isn't getting enough chances and when he does get one he usually misses. In the middle of the November now and think he's only got 7 goals so far.

18 minutes ago, glenn28 said:

Chelsea was leading 2-1 in the 95th min then Keita scores a screamer to make it 2-2 hes a beast of a player  

Really? He will be the first player sold in the summer in my game, just cannot get him to play. Tried him in a few roles and doesn't do well in any of them.

2 hours ago, salkster2102 said:

How are people finding Salah? I seem to find the ME doesn't suit him and isn't scoring enough for me. I'm playing a 4-3-3 tika taka with Salah on the right and he just isn't getting enough chances and when he does get one he usually misses. In the middle of the November now and think he's only got 7 goals so far.

There is no role in the game that works with how Salah plays in real life.

Really happy with my first season.

Won the league and the FA Cup. Got knocked out by City in the semis of the UCL.

Top players are below. Salah was injured for like 6 months or so, and Origi really stepped up for me. Scored a lot of his goals in big games too.

1937660687_ScreenShot2018-11-06at2_59_32pm.thumb.png.aa33922b3f5d0d98df203bc30218dd74.png

Will be looking to clear out Keita, Milner, Lovren and maybe Salah. Need a new left back and some younger blood in midfield.

1 hour ago, BoobyBlah said:

Really happy with my first season.

Won the league and the FA Cup. Got knocked out by City in the semis of the UCL.

Top players are below. Salah was injured for like 6 months or so, and Origi really stepped up for me. Scored a lot of his goals in big games too.

1937660687_ScreenShot2018-11-06at2_59_32pm.thumb.png.aa33922b3f5d0d98df203bc30218dd74.png

Will be looking to clear out Keita, Milner, Lovren and maybe Salah. Need a new left back and some younger blood in midfield.

Why get rid of Keita and Salah? I can understand Lovren and Milner. 

26 minutes ago, BoobyBlah said:

Can't get either to perform. If I can get decent money for either they can go. I'd be more willing to persist with Keita though.

Keita 82% passing and over 4 tackles per game is performing.

Salah missed loads of games + time to get use to formation again, kind of harsh on him.

Edited by eastley

6 hours ago, eastley said:

There is no role in the game that works with how Salah plays in real life.

I wouldn't say to play exactly how he does in real life as I wouldn't expect that. I just can't seem to find a system that he plays well in. In fact all of the front 3 in general really. Though i'm top of the league 4 points clear in november so it's nice to still be unhappy i guess!

Just now, salkster2102 said:

I wouldn't say to play exactly how he does in real life as I wouldn't expect that. I just can't seem to find a system that he plays well in. In fact all of the front 3 in general really. Though i'm top of the league 4 points clear in november so it's nice to still be unhappy i guess!

Inside forwards are more like WIngers who just cut inside and supply, rather than a player who also like to score.

Only way to get Salah to score heaps is play him as an AF upfront on attack..

21 minutes ago, eastley said:

Keita 82% passing and over 4 tackles per game is performing.

Salah missed loads of games + time to get use to formation again, kind of harsh on him.

Yeah I know, it's harsh. But Keita took a lot of shots. He was first choice until about January and didn't score a goal. He scored a couple at the end but was in general poor.

Salah again could be a bit harsh, but other players in less opportunity performed better in game.

I don't really get attached to players either so have no issues selling them ha

Won the league first season with 97 points, absolutely stomped home, was set to go unbeaten but played a second string the last 5-6 games so everyone was 100% for the champions league final, which I beat juve 4-2

signed dolberg (who ended up being top scorer despite not becoming a regular until Christmas time) and jao felix the first season. Savic and Ajer the second, and also using Harry Wilson a lot who’s back from derby. He’s getting a shed load of assists from set pieces. 

Playing a 424 against the lesser teams, with firmino and dolberg up top, mane as IFs and salah IFa. I’m also noticing that goals are shared out quite a bit. Van Dijk and Gomez are colossus at the back, and ajer/lovren are good enough back up. 

Restarted my playthrough after i discovered that coaches lose a star rating if they have a secondary job, i had a few that did.

Got quite a few staff in for all squads. Trianing is minimum 4 stars, most are 4.5 or 5.

DId the same sales as before,

Lallana to Arsenal for £80m (60m upfront and 20m over 36 months).

Origi to Napoli for £25m (20m upfront and 5m over 36 months). Had to target Napoli when offering him out.

Sold Markovic to Atalanta for £10.5m (8.5m upfront and 2m over 36 months with 20% of profit from next sale.)

This time i also managed to sell Sturridge to Newcastle for 15m upfront, 13.5 over 3 years and 1m after 20 goals (29.5 combined). Good player, but injury prone and last year of contract.

Looking to sell Moreno in or just before Jan.

Bought:

de Ligt for 23.5m +30%

Moise Kean 32m + 20%

Tierney for 24m but loaned back till Jan as i want him to play.

Vagnoman 6.5m but loaned back for season as he will get match exp.

Fiete Arp 16.5m loaned back till Jan. Will join me just before he turns 19, so i can make him homegrown.

Antonio Marin 2.2m 

Lots of good potential youth.

Playing 4-1-4-1 Wide (433) Gegenpress but with 1 notch less tempo and pressing. Also removed hard tackling. Have 4-2-3-1 as a backup formation too.

Edited by Siven

3 minutes ago, Siven said:

Fiete Arp 16.5m loaned back till Jan. Will join me just before he turns 19, so i can make him homegrown.

Homegrown = trained in England for 3 years before their 21st birthday. So you'd have to get him before he turns 18.

1 minute ago, mersk said:

Homegrown = trained in England for 3 years before their 21st birthday. So you'd have to get him before he turns 18.

Have had 18 year olds who have become club homegrown in previous versions. 

As long as they arrive at your club before they turn 19 it works.

53 minutes ago, Siven said:

Have had 18 year olds who have become club homegrown in previous versions. 

As long as they arrive at your club before they turn 19 it works.

When I think about it you're right actually, though it's not supposed to work that way. The rule clearly states that a player must have trained in England for 3 years before they turn 21, but I currently have two players in my squad due to become homegrown after they turn 21. Would be interested to know why it's like that.

Probably just a misrepresentation of the rule. Ingame it says "trained in England for 3 years before their 21st birthday", but apparently the rule is that they must reach the 3 year mark while they're still 21. So in other words, before their 22nd birthday.

I got curious, so I checked the actual rule and made a comment on it for anyone interested.

Edited by mersk

So Mourinho has been downgraded in FM 19?  I can't remember the last time I'd seen him fired in a save let alone in December of the first season.  Also having a pretty good 1st season so far.  After 15 games we have a 7 point lead over Man City (3rd-5th are Everton, Southampton and Crystal Palace) and we've only allowed 3 goals.  We're scoring a fair bit too but I don't think I've ever been so dominant defensively in the 1st season.  

Jesus de la Crz_  Social Feed-3.png

20 hours ago, eastley said:

Inside forwards are more like WIngers who just cut inside and supply, rather than a player who also like to score.

Only way to get Salah to score heaps is play him as an AF upfront on attack..

He's doing ok playing every match as an IF-A for me.

Mohamed Salah_ Reports Stats.png