FM19: The English Football League thread

warlock

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jamesbfc1887: Impressive finish considering the stature of the club. Billy Kee is an exceptional player and I'm glad he produced the goods for you. I'm not sure why you had any doubts over him! :p I'm interested to see how you'll fair next season - hopefully a case of second season syndrome won't occur.

@robterrace: Good luck with Forest. I had a feeling you'd take it, for some strange reason... ;) 

1 hour ago, warlock said:

That's a brilliant season with Stanley

@DefinitelyTaylor

I'll upload some screenshots later tommorow if I get the chance of what transfer business I did, it's so hard to find any players for Stanley. I've always toyed with the idea of having a real strict wage budget restriction to make things a bit more interesting but I generally just stick to just being a bit stingy on player wages even in the prem with Barnsley I would look in disbelief if someone dared to ask me for £50k a week or at Man utd when Lindelhof decided he wanted £180k I thought b****cks to that for a solid 6 months before eventually giving in.

But back to my point at Accrington you don't get a say in the matter it's £1.5k max that's it, which makes it almost impossible to recruit anyone worthwhile. :)

@DefinitelyTaylor

Thanks, I'm interested as well I don't have a clue how I will do tbh it could easily go Pete Tong or be a surprise play-off push. That's what makes this save interesting to me.

Kee was great eventually, top scorer in the league in fact. I hate to be negative and I don't want to say i'd take 20th next season before I've even gone past the last day of the season but it'll be a tough season for sure Kee's goals practically kept me up and I he can't do that again next season I'll be in big trouble, we were one of the lowest scorers last season and I think Kee had about 50% of our goals.

Recruitment will be hard thanks to the wage budget, although it's not the wage budget per se that's small but there's still room to make changes, it's the fact I can't offer anyone more than £1.5k a week which is holding me back.

I'm really enjoying this save though thanks to its unique challenges. :D

If you still haven't decided who you are going with Stanley is a great challenge.

7 hours ago, robterrace said:

First two games in charge. Not bad to say we're one of the lowest scorers in the division.

fm_3W5uMoQoPD.png.82b267ecaac5ef28ff90519f764c9e21.png

So, start with a fire sale of fringe players to try and free up a bit of spending money, and bring in a free transfer as my first signing.

fm_ada5p7OWkF.thumb.png.35160b2564f94dd1c8e7bf9a54bfc887.png

I've brought a lot of the younger players in as well, as I know they'll be OK until the end of the season, and I can secure a mid table finish for the improvements that need making.

9 hours ago, robterrace said:

First two games in charge. Not bad to say we're one of the lowest scorers in the division.

fm_3W5uMoQoPD.png.82b267ecaac5ef28ff90519f764c9e21.png

Not a bad start at all. A new direction under a new manager seems to have kicked the strikers into life! 

9 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

@DefinitelyTaylor

Thanks, I'm interested as well I don't have a clue how I will do tbh it could easily go Pete Tong or be a surprise play-off push. That's what makes this save interesting to me.

Kee was great eventually, top scorer in the league in fact. I hate to be negative and I don't want to say i'd take 20th next season before I've even gone past the last day of the season but it'll be a tough season for sure Kee's goals practically kept me up and I he can't do that again next season I'll be in big trouble, we were one of the lowest scorers last season and I think Kee had about 50% of our goals.

Recruitment will be hard thanks to the wage budget, although it's not the wage budget per se that's small but there's still room to make changes, it's the fact I can't offer anyone more than £1.5k a week which is holding me back.

I'm really enjoying this save though thanks to its unique challenges. :D

If you still haven't decided who you are going with Stanley is a great challenge.

Yeah, you seem to be heavily reliant on Kee which is dangerous. It is for any football club to be so reliant on one player's impact. The budget really puts the rise of the club into perspective and surviving year upon year will still be a massive achievement in my eyes, anyway. It's going to be a case of relying on loan players and finding the right targets in the free market, I suppose. I can understand why you'd enjoy it as it seems to be quite an unpredictable save. Next season could go either way depending on the recruitment and if it's viable to sign certain players. 

I've got two options in my head for a new save. I think I'm edging closer to one than the other, but we'll see. Another day or so should allow me to make a conclusion :lol:.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Not a bad start at all. A new direction under a new manager seems to have kicked the strikers into life! 

I like it when this stuff happens.

Disposed of several fringe players, picked up about £7m in fees, made my first signing for the end of the season as well.

fm_yhWX0IiYrf.thumb.png.7337d0f4bd8fd31f4f10bba41b2d3dae.png

Got to consider a few more as well.

Had to accept an offer for Joao Carvalho, as the money on offer was too good (only £8m), but, we could get 4 or 5 players in for that.

So, for £250k to 'replace' him, in comes Portuguese midfielder Rafael Barbosa

fm_bxXZJmRS9E.thumb.png.fc5bcb16bf954583cd430ca39f3270e5.png

Also coming in, Jake Clarke-Salter from Chelsea for £750k, hes quick, and good in the air, which is the sort of player I'm looking for.

fm_f9ljXaoepy.thumb.png.d9bd8695738fafea31e242ace0cdb8d1.png

Theres also this guy coming in until the end of the season to replace Hilal Soudani.

fm_OrZPg2mJG4.thumb.png.9eced426f166fcd295f936d67eb54d6e.png

When, this guy comes in.

fm_W9Nhm2tn3v.thumb.png.90a93c4decef2b65f4f2be7266466359.png

The End of The Transfer Window Special

As I've put earlier, we shipped out several players, and went after a few others to replace them.

fm_L4qtGiQ5GM.thumb.png.1823007d0ff7f66cddb61ca05616888c.png

Its about £24m thats been raised, as there was a £5m sale of Joe Worrall to Fulham before I joined.

Coming in, money was spent, but a lot of it on talent for the future.

fm_jfdNhOcXts.thumb.png.bf1d8f6423e6f1d63ba3c01163619405.png

Once the offer for Joao Carvalho was accepted, Rafael Barbosa was picked up. He'd appeared on my radar at Wigan as a potential target, and, for £275k, is in the right price range for us.

Jake Clarke-Salter is another one like that. Lots of the current defence was slow and aging, so, he came in for a small fee and would be 3rd choice centre back. Mason Greenwood comes in to replace Hilal Soudani, who, once an offer in excess of £1m was made, found himself on the next plane to Turkey, where he'd sign for Baskasehir, along with Pana Tachtsidis.

More fringe players went off, with Ben Watson, and Gboly Ariyibi going for token fees, before an offer was received for Ben Osborn which would finance the rest of the transfer window.

I'm normally not one to sell a player as versatile as him, but, we'd just signed Callum Gribbin from Manchester United, and had an offer for Ivaylo Chochev accepted, so he would be a fringe player. For £7m, plus sell on clauses and installments, its good business for the club.

Michael Hefele was allowed to leave as he was becoming a bit disruptive over the sales of players, and, was sent on his way for his asking price. His replacement, 19 year old Dutch defender Lutsharel Geertrida. Able to play in the centre and on the right side of defence, the signing from Feyenoord would step into first team contention immediately, allowing Unai Bustinza to slot in alongside Tobias Figueredo,

The Dutch Eredivisie also provided the largest outgoing transfer fee for us as well, with 20 year old winger Cody Gakpo joining from PSV. Coming off the back of 7 goals in 13 games for Jong PSV in the Dutch Keuken Divisie, £3m may be slightly on the expensive side, but, there is resale potential for the future.

Lastly, Manchester United goalkeeper, Joel Pereira joined on loan, and immediately became first choice.

fm_aJeYobQ2r7.thumb.png.d6547f9e37acf9754136b02044620622.png

fm_6dmUHxNs9A.thumb.png.d83dbee49c067de28d9c7d687a0d1b3e.png

5 future transfers were also secured, with Ryan Gauld, Vasyl Kravets, Alessandro Rossi and youngsters Mario Diaz and Jokin Dulce joining in the summer.

Alex Iacovitti will leave however, having signed a precontract deal with St.Johnstone.

3 minutes ago, robterrace said:

we shipped out several players, and went after a few others to replace them

For anyone who isn't sure about dealing with transfers, Mr Terrace is your man :D. I'd be terrified of making that many changes!

1 minute ago, warlock said:

For anyone who isn't sure about dealing with transfers, Mr Terrace is your man :D. I'd be terrified of making that many changes!

Some people talk about having a clean sweep in the dressing room. I think I may have gone on a rampage with an axe in the last couple.

4 hours ago, warlock said:

A lot of changes indeed from @robterrace! :D If it's worked before, then why change? Revamping the squad to the way you like it can only mean success, right? ;) 

@Rollin93: Great start with Brentford and to have two top talents on the bench like Solanke and Marin can only mean that the starting XI are working to perfection. The shared goals throughout the squad should be beneficial, as it means not relying too heavily on one individual, that could hamper your progress if said individual was to get injured or move on.

Edited by DefinitelyTaylor

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

A lot of changes indeed from @robterrace! :D If it's worked before, then why change? Revamping the squad to the way you like it can only mean success, right? ;) 

The way the team has performed at Forest so far in my save, I'd say yes.

This is what I did first season, a few names you're probably not too familiar with there.

dcac5bd415002e246ed98c266964d9c03724c94c

1062eecaf924510d1c2caae2eac67e0b16588f20

Callum Johnson was a big loss in January but when Sunderland came in for him I couldn't say no. Jordan Clark was a deal I wanted to do he wasn't contributing at all really.

Gribbin and McNeil went back in January as they were both a bit cr4p and we stopped playing 4231.

The names you won't know, Tonnessen is a decent left back from Norway who joined on a 6 month deal with an option for a further year, which I'm unsure whether I'll be triggering.

07ea3179f380e0a6c90bc6d6149cca392bc80279

Rafa Jorda. Meh

f51d278b0dea30f9cfceeea5d0dc82a3f60c9412

Not the actual Christian Eriksen but he's an okay back up.

dbaa6e7b09895ec5ed76887c9d891401d9ba2817[/url]

Another left field buy. An extra year after his 6 month deal is another dilemma.

1f520c9571adf3ea6a4ddf3a530349ce31fb0fea

Onward to season 2!!!

9 minutes ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

a few names you're probably not too familiar with

The United Nations of Accrington :lol:.

I am familiar with a couple of your 'outs'. Had Mohammed on loan at Darlington first season when we won the VNN. Brought him back in season 2 but he couldn't manage the slight step up so just sent him back in January 2020. Sousa is currently on my shortlist - I'm in dire need of a right winger and my scouts rave about him. He's transfer listed for £3.5k (big money for Darlington!) but I can't make my mind up. If he's not good enough for Accrington, how good is he really?

ROYAL REVIVAL UPDATE

As stated previously, this summer was all about bringing in players to improve the first team to aid our bid to better last seasons position and points total. After hours of scouting for the right players, here's who I brought in:

image.thumb.png.9692efcb46f5b410c8076954d19a570f.png

I broke my highest fee of £1.1m on a player twice this window and matched it once, all 3 being on attacking wide players. With Kent's loan deal expired and Liverpool not wanting to loan him again this season along with Everton bidding a ridiculous amount for Loader, I needed to bolster that area. Are they necessarily brilliant players? No, but the market was tough. Weimann brings a wealth of experience as well as some excellent physical attributes. where as Mbenza and Lovren give us some pace and unpredictability. Bidstrup looks to be a steal at just over £700k in the deep lying playmaker role, whilst Silva is definitely an upgrade on my left back options. Surman and Hourihane were added for experience and cover, something we lost from Smith and Leadbitter's departures. All of this lead to me making a profit of £1.5m.

Due to the influx of first-teamers, we struggled in pre-season to find any rhythm and that carried on in to the start of the season:

image.thumb.png.fdafdb2760121cee376e8041bc3ce2c1.pngimage.thumb.png.b0d32926175c032fc3b6804a3537ae05.png

The new wide players and the returning Cannavo were failing to link up, resulting in us losing our first game away to newly promoted Coventry and drawing at home to Milwall, without scoring a goal in either game. A lucky penalty win against MK Dons seemed to give us the kick we needed, as we've now won 4 of our last 5 games, drawing the other. Our latest win saw us defeat Steven Gerrard's big spending Cardiff City 4-1, with Kevin Cannavo bagging a hat trick, making it 5 goals in 6 games for the young Italian. Weimann also bagged a hat-trick against FGR in the Cup. Hopefully we can keep this momentum going and add a bit more consistency to our attack this season.

Wish me luck! Up the Royals.

@smplfc123 Some good signings there, and hopefully they'll settle in. I'm a big fan of Weimann  - his stats don't mark him as a great striker but he's always produced for me, at Derby 2 years ago, and last year with Bristol City.

@robterrace Eventually, the top PL managers will learn the lessons of playing youngsters in the cups!

10 minutes ago, warlock said:

@robterrace Eventually, the top PL managers will learn the lessons of playing youngsters in the cups!

Indeed. I'm loving this season, setting everything up for a push in season 2. Wigan are trying their hardest to mess up League One though.

@Jamesbfc1887: Quite pleased to say I recognise all those names beside one or two, actually! :lol: I'm really looking forward to season two, personally. The save has me very intrigued - although that may be due to my personal liking of Accrington.

@smplfc123: Form is very much improving as the season goes on. I'm quite a fan of your business, as whilst Loader will be a miss, Weimann is a very good signing who I can see scoring the goals needed to help you. Conor Hourihane is another one that I rate and feel that it could be some underrated business, depending on if he gets the game time to perform.

@robterrace: Two excellent results! Love it. :D 

15 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

@Rollin93: Great start with Brentford and to have two top talents on the bench like Solanke and Marin can only mean that the starting XI are working to perfection. The shared goals throughout the squad should be beneficial, as it means not relying too heavily on one individual, that could hamper your progress if said individual was to get injured or move on.

Only position really struggling to show any kind of form is CAM trying to find a good replacement for sawyers 

First time posting in here and am really just rediscovering the game since I got FM 19 for Christmas and have been playing most evenings and weekends (and occasionally a quick match in the a.m. before work) ever since. Definitely making some missteps with the game interface, player and team interactions and such, maybe a bit realistic as a well-known player taking his first managerial gig at Port Vale in League Two.

First season was in and out of the relegation zone for much of the first half, but managed to improve with some decent loan signings, especially Jake Andrews from Bristol City at left wing and free agent signing Jamie Thomas. Mitch Clark from Villa and Lee O’Connor from Man United improved the defence a great deal, while Ben Whitfield and Manny Oyeluke were strong in the center park. Tom Pope was the club’s most important player as a target man in a traditional 4-4-2. The team finished with a flourish and ended up 12th in the table. At the post-season meeting I suggested building on this for next year and challenging for a playoff berth, but the players pushed back heavily so I backed off. But in my heart, I knew it could be done.

In season two, the team indeed kicked on and with the help of new signing Gary Oliver banging in goals along with Pope, and young defenders Nathan Smith and James Gibbons proving to be true talents, Vale climbed through the ranks an nearly won automatic promotion, only missing via a final-day defeat. But the team showed mental toughness in bouncing back to sweep through the playoffs and it was League One bound.

I’m now in season three and, predictably, it is a struggle. In early December we are only just above the relegation places. I did manage to win three League Cup matches, have won the opening FA Cup contest and my next match is a chance to advance out of the group stage of the Checkatrade Trophy, despite playing a rotated squad for these. Season two signing Brooklyn Lyons-Foster is proving to be a revelation for us as an inverted left wingback. Gibbons and Smith continue as regulars at the back and Pope seems to be defying Father Time for now. We again have made a ton of loan signings, and currently have a glut of strikers as the previous season’s strike force, except for Pope, seem to be inadequate for this higher level.

I should add that the club was finally taken over after two seasons of it being rumoured. The board promptly did nothing about debts and put what capital they had into planning for a new stadium. Not exactly te stuff tycoon dreams are made of, but we persevere. To date I’ve had 6 clubs ask me to interview for their manager job, and I’ve turned them all down out of loyalty to the club and having a hangup about leaving in the middle of the season.  If I jump ship, can I still provide updates or is this meant to only be for those staying with one club in their career?

(Sorry for the lack of detail in this as I don’t have access to my save as I write and get fuzzy on the details in retrospect)

:seagull: Board what are you lot doing??????????????????????????????

I had £6k a week wage budget to do some business with, so I ask for some more wage and they go "Yeah sure thing" (or something like that anyway), an extra £2k "Cheers, you guys are alright you know" was my response (that's the kind of thing I'd say) :lol:.

But no, 2 days later bang!! New budgets for the season come out and my budget goes down to -£9k a week :mad: they've literally stolen £19k of budget off me, unbelievable!!!!

Whether I'll be able to find anybody at all to come in other than loans for no wage contribution has been put in real question now, I have fortunately brought a few players in before they took the money away.

Fuming :mad:

Edited by Jamesbfc1887

1 hour ago, IndyManager said:

If I jump ship, can I still provide updates or is this meant to only be for those staying with one club in their career?

Well, the thread is designed for those of us managing clubs in the EFL... as long as you jump ship to another EFL team then no problem at all. You can also just walk away and start a new save - we won't think any less of you (plenty of us have done it!) There's 72 teams to choose from and I think only the most promiscuous of us get to manage more than 15 or so each year. The unofficial motto of this thread might be: So many teams, so little time :D.

@warlock Have I!!!!!!!! Ever mentioned how much I hate the Barnsley board irl.

Our assistant manager is going to Huddersfield tomorrow, which is fair enough you can't deny him the opportunity of 15 games in the Prem I guess. 

We've sold Potts and Moncur already this transfer window and there a quite a few rumours doing the rounds that Pinnock is off to Brentford which would pretty much end our promotion hopes this season for me, yes he's that good.

Not sure if you're aware but the consortium that owns Barnsley is worth £9.1billion (allegedly anyway), which puts us 3rd or 4th on the richest owners in the UK list,  behind Sheikh Mansour of Man City and a few others, I think they may even be worth more than Roman Abramovich at Chelsea.

Which puts into perspective your troubles on FM with the board and irl. I'm not saying I want us to spend stupid amounts but just try and keep some of our best players for once rather than tear our squad apart like we have done over the last few years.

17 minutes ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Which puts into perspective your troubles on FM with the board

Yeah, sounds like SI's researchers did their usual excellent job in replicating reality. Honestly wasn't aware of the situation IRL.

Which brings us neatly to Darlington - my home-town club more than 40 years ago, destroyed by board-level incompetence and egoism. IRL they're slowly trying to regain a foothold in the EFL and professional status, a feat I've been trying to replicate every year in FM. Tonight, I did it:

xXtJcE0h.png?1

Rather off-topic but I hope you'll forgive me for sharing what is certainly my greatest ever achievement in FM: back-to-back league titles and a return to League 2.

So, the FA Cup final against Man City went as expected, a 3-0 defeat, with Milinkovic-Savic bagging 2, and Gabriel Jesus with another. It showed how much work I need to do if I want to compete at a Premier League level. Some players stood up to the challenge, but, when one or two aren't up to it, it exposes the rest of the side.

We qualify for Europe though.

Back to the League, a late run saw us slide into 5th place in the closing stages of the season. Rafael Barbosa bagging 12 assists in his 16 games, along with 4 goals. For £275k, hes becoming a very good signing, and his value is above £3m. Cody Gapko scored 8 in 14 League games (14 in 19 in total) from the left wing, and has become one of the first names on the teamsheet, alongside Chochev and Yates in midfield. The 22 year old home grown player was appointed captain at the end of January, and flourished in the roie, eventually scoring 13 goals in 35 games (18 in 46 in total), from his central midfield position.

The first leg of the playoffs, which I've already posted a screengrab of, is one of the most one sided results I've seen on FM in ages. In an even match, we won 6-1, with Gapko scoring a hat trick before half time, and being 5-0 up. We took our foot off a bit in the 2nd half, and when Stefano Okaka pulled a goal back then got sent off, we relaxed further.

Lynden Gooch scored the only goal of the return leg, in front of a full house at the City Ground to send us to Wembley on back to back weekends. :D

So, the Sunday after our first trip to Wembley since 1992, we were back again.

Pretty much a full strength team out, barring Mason Greenwood, who was away on international duty.

So.

9 minutes in, throw in on the Boro right, ball falls to Lewis Grabban, who hits an effort from 20 yards into the roof of the net.

Middlesbrough throw stuff at us, and after 69 minutes, Barbosa finds Yates, who hits a rocket into the top corner from 25 yards. 

Full time. An unexpected promotion, European football next season. 

Time to dig out the shopping list for the Chairman.

fm_7pHrUNpkM7.thumb.jpg.f7c9893d64b7b4cf0423e951bf26c176.jpg

fm_hTaUJEEEPn.thumb.png.ab8a3c184026ce7f95d7ede8de99ad52.png

So I just completed my first season with MK Dons. 

Sky Bet League 2: 1st

League Cup: 4th Round

FA Cup: 5th Round

Checkatrade Trophy: 2nd Round

Transfers In: Galloway (loan), Beningime (loan), Gribbin (loan), Charlie Rowan (free), Aaron Kuhl (free), Yasin Ben El-Mhanni (free)

Review: Other than a few arguments over playing time, It was an amazing season, I only lost 8 games, drawing 11, playing a control possession 4-2-3-1 which is the style I intend to use going forward. In goal Nicholls and Moore helped me achieve the best defence in the league. Right back Williams was vice captain but played on a rotation basis with Brittain holding down the regular spot. Left Back legend Lewington was captain but again was rotation with Galloway being loaned in to get regular football, also an ex MK player before going to Everton so seemed right to bring him in. CB I promoted Jackson for the Ball playing defender role and was very good with Baudry as back up and Rowan on rotation. LCB was difficult as Walsh, Cargill and Moore-Taylor were all on first team contracts so demand play time. In midfield Gilbey was a star in CM-S with Kuhl as back up. Baningime was brought in to be BWM-D, Cisse was back up with Houghton rotational. AMR Agard managed double figures in goals, McGrandles and Hancox filled in every where off the bench and were really useful players. Pawlett was doing okay rotating but Dundee approached to sign him in jan so I put him in the U23 squad. AMC Gribbin managed 8 goals 8 assists but I think he could have managed more. Harley was back up and did ok. AML Nesbitt was a sensational with double figure goals, Ben El-Mhanni back him up. Upfront Aneke nearly got 20 goals, Sow over 10 but Healey also had a good 6 months but decided not to renew his January ending loan. I also manged to give a few youth products some game time. Thomas-Asante, Nombe and Asonganyi. In the league I only lost 2 games back to back and only lost 1 game by 2 goals. The cups were a massive contributor to the 11 draws I think but a penalty win against Man Utd in the League Cup before being knocked out to Tottenham was amazing. The FA Cup was very good as well with Orient in the 3rd round, I got past Bristol Rovers in Round 4 via a replay before a 3-0 loss to full strength Liverpool. The checkatrade clashes a lot with international breaks and the FA Cup but I hope to target a cup win next season as ive never won it before.

@IndyManager: Welcome to the thread, firstly. Port Vale are an interesting team to manage and quite a challenging one too. I'm glad to read of your success with them in gaining to promotion to League One. Personally, it's whether you feel like you've done all you can with them, as to whether you decide to stay or leave the club. If you feel that you're not able to progress with them, I would leave and take one of the jobs that are being offered to you - as if you don't progress, the likelihood is that the clubs who were once offering jobs may look elsewhere and they'll dry up. I would love to see more posts from you, but don't let that stop you from taking a job from outside of the Football League! :D 

@Jamesbfc1887: Is Andy Holt still the chairman? Doesn't sound like him at all! :lol: SI need to look into this, if he is the chairman.

@robterrace: Wow. What an exceptional rise up the league since you were appointed as manager. :applause: It goes to show that sometimes an unorthodox method in revamping the squad can work in your favour. European football must next is another major coup for the club and will really benefit, in my opinion, to bringing in certain players as they may be tempted by the opportunity to play on the European stage! 

@warlock: Good stuff mate. Maybe get a similar thread up for the National League, North and South? ;) 

@TottenhamBoi90: It bothers me that you've chosen MK Dons to manage, they're one of my most hated clubs - but that aside... :lol: You've had a great season, in the league and in cup competitions. Some members of that squad are far too good for League Two football and it doesn't surprise me to read that they've performed well. Even the likes of Beningime, who you brought in yourself, I would consider to be of a higher quality than League Two. There's no reason why you can't look to have a good season next season and push for a playoff spot, as they have the foundations there to do just that. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

@IndyManager: Welcome to the thread, firstly. Port Vale are an interesting team to manage and quite a challenging one too. I'm glad to read of your success with them in gaining to promotion to League One. Personally, it's whether you feel like you've done all you can with them, as to whether you decide to stay or leave the club. If you feel that you're not able to progress with them, I would leave and take one of the jobs that are being offered to you - as if you don't progress, the likelihood is that the clubs who were once offering jobs may look elsewhere and they'll dry up. I would love to see more posts from you, but don't let that stop you from taking a job from outside of the Football League! :D 

Thanks for the encouragement. Last night I had two Championship offers in the same day, from Bristol City and Sheffield United. Bristol was more tempting as their finances are labeled "Rich." But I still want to work at keeping Port Vale in League One for the rest of the season. I understand there is a gamble in that if they go down, my offers disappear, but in that event, I wasn't performing well enough anyway. Just knowing how I feel about players who want away in mid-season (looking at you Phil Coutinho), I don't want to do the same. I think realistically a Championship Club would be the next step on the ladder. Now if I manage to land such a job and then win promotion, (big IF, I know), do I then cease posting updates here?

Enjoying reading all of these updates, by the way.

16 hours ago, IndyManager said:

First time posting in here and am really just rediscovering the game since I got FM 19 for Christmas and have been playing most evenings and weekends (and occasionally a quick match in the a.m. before work) ever since. Definitely making some missteps with the game interface, player and team interactions and such, maybe a bit realistic as a well-known player taking his first managerial gig at Port Vale in League Two.

First season was in and out of the relegation zone for much of the first half, but managed to improve with some decent loan signings, especially Jake Andrews from Bristol City at left wing and free agent signing Jamie Thomas. Mitch Clark from Villa and Lee O’Connor from Man United improved the defence a great deal, while Ben Whitfield and Manny Oyeluke were strong in the center park. Tom Pope was the club’s most important player as a target man in a traditional 4-4-2. The team finished with a flourish and ended up 12th in the table. At the post-season meeting I suggested building on this for next year and challenging for a playoff berth, but the players pushed back heavily so I backed off. But in my heart, I knew it could be done.

In season two, the team indeed kicked on and with the help of new signing Gary Oliver banging in goals along with Pope, and young defenders Nathan Smith and James Gibbons proving to be true talents, Vale climbed through the ranks an nearly won automatic promotion, only missing via a final-day defeat. But the team showed mental toughness in bouncing back to sweep through the playoffs and it was League One bound.

I’m now in season three and, predictably, it is a struggle. In early December we are only just above the relegation places. I did manage to win three League Cup matches, have won the opening FA Cup contest and my next match is a chance to advance out of the group stage of the Checkatrade Trophy, despite playing a rotated squad for these. Season two signing Brooklyn Lyons-Foster is proving to be a revelation for us as an inverted left wingback. Gibbons and Smith continue as regulars at the back and Pope seems to be defying Father Time for now. We again have made a ton of loan signings, and currently have a glut of strikers as the previous season’s strike force, except for Pope, seem to be inadequate for this higher level.

I should add that the club was finally taken over after two seasons of it being rumoured. The board promptly did nothing about debts and put what capital they had into planning for a new stadium. Not exactly te stuff tycoon dreams are made of, but we persevere. To date I’ve had 6 clubs ask me to interview for their manager job, and I’ve turned them all down out of loyalty to the club and having a hangup about leaving in the middle of the season.  If I jump ship, can I still provide updates or is this meant to only be for those staying with one club in their career?

(Sorry for the lack of detail in this as I don’t have access to my save as I write and get fuzzy on the details in retrospect)

Took some better notes and looked back on my first two seasons - funny how I forget about certain players who were once important to the plan. Connell Rawlinson, sorry for totally writing you out of that year one history, you were important in that I learned how someone supposedly valuable to the club can actually be a complete liability on the pitch. Didn't want to ignore your contribution to my education as a manager. On the other hand, Leon Legge was an all-heart type who filled many a void for me before retiring at the end of season two. I wanted to hire you as a coach but the board wouldn't let me unless I fired someone with better coaching skills. I also recall I had a bit of a staffing crisis at the beginning of season two when my holiday made an unfortunate intersection with an almost-takeover accompanied by a  hiring/transfer freeze and coaches falling out of contract. I guess I could have stayed in Stoke, but I promised the wife we were going to Cyprus. :-) 

For this season three, I strive to have two for every position and then an extra player or two in the back and in midfield. But as I mentioned before, I've got a glut of strikers, having signed a couple of trialists following their release by Premier League clubs. I already had Tom Pope (club mainstay and team leader) and Elijah Adebayo (IRL youth team product IRL), Jamie Thomas and Gary Oliver who I signed while in League Two, Lucas Green-Birch who I promoted from our youth team against advice and scored some key goals in our promotion run, and then loan signings Jahmal Hector-Ingram of West Ham and Martell Taylor-Crossdale, plus Rekeil Pyke, released from Huddersfield. All of these seem to blow hot and cold so I mix and match as best as I can, but I expect when the transfer window opens I'll need to jettison or at least loan a couple of these guys.

In midfield, I have loaned Jake Andrews win for the third straight season, and also have Harry Clarke of Arsenal, just starting to contribute after a long injury layoff. I signed James Ferry from Stevenage on a free and he gave me the old injured lifting weights injury straightaway. Last year's leading light Ben Whitfield really hasn't kicked off for me yet, despite being a regular in the lineup. I signed Nathan Broadhead on a free after his release from Everton, and he has shown glimpses at right wing, but still hasn't supplanted previous starter David Worrall.  Michael Klaas also contributes in midfield, while Charlie Fox has been a good loan signing in the back.

Team chemistry readings are quite good after  climbing to 18th in mid-December (Nathan Smith would marry me if I asked). We've also reached the third round of the FA Cup and having surpassed board expectations, I'm hoping for a big payday at Arsenal or Chelsea, despite the obligatory thrashing that will come with it.

16 hours ago, warlock said:

Yeah, sounds like SI's researchers did their usual excellent job in replicating reality. Honestly wasn't aware of the situation IRL.

Which brings us neatly to Darlington - my home-town club more than 40 years ago, destroyed by board-level incompetence and egoism. IRL they're slowly trying to regain a foothold in the EFL and professional status, a feat I've been trying to replicate every year in FM. Tonight, I did it:

xXtJcE0h.png?1

Rather off-topic but I hope you'll forgive me for sharing what is certainly my greatest ever achievement in FM: back-to-back league titles and a return to League 2.

Congratulations @warlock Darlington is only 25 minutes away from me, so I'm happy that you've brought some success to the North East, especially after what that club has gone through with some owners.