Please help me fix my defence

I am playing as QPR in the championship, about 8 games in. Having major problems with leaking goals although we are doing fairly well at putting them in. I’ll describe my problem and what I have done to address it so far. 

My tactic is a 4-1-2-3 formation with a DM, two BBMs, two IF and a PF. Have WBs on support as part of the back 4. We are playing a patient passing game, I used the tiki taka set up and then modified that. Higher defensive line and line of engagement along with more closing down. 

I noticed we have been conceding a lot of goals with direct balls to the strikers, and also some from crosses. We especially struggle when playing two up front as my centre backs cannot handle them. My defence doesn’t have much pace so maybe that’s an issue. 

What I have done so far is change my formation to bring in a DM who plays as a half back, I’ve dropped to a normal defensive line and also taken off tight marking. I don’t want to drop the line even further as that would compromise our pressing game. 

I feel like maybe this has helped a no bit not enough. We concede too many sloppy goals and chances through simple one twos or through balls and my defenders are just not tracking the runs or staying with their man. Any ideas on what else I could do? 

39 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Higher defensive line and line of engagement along with more closing down. 

I noticed we have been conceding a lot of goals with direct balls to the strikers, and also some from crosses. We especially struggle when playing two up front as my centre backs cannot handle them. My defence doesn’t have much pace so maybe that’s an issue. 

Don't you see a clear correlation between these bolded parts?

41 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

What I have done so far is change my formation to bring in a DM who plays as a half back, I’ve dropped to a normal defensive line and also taken off tight marking. I don’t want to drop the line even further as that would compromise our pressing game. 

I feel like maybe this has helped a no bit not enough. We concede too many sloppy goals and chances through simple one twos or through balls and my defenders are just not tracking the runs or staying with their man. Any ideas on what else I could do? 

Well, if you are still conceding a lot even after these changes, then maybe your team is not good enough to play a high-pressing game. No tactic should be used at all costs, no matter how much you personally like it.

11 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

My tactic is a 4-1-2-3 formation with a DM, two BBMs, two IF and a PF. Have WBs on support as part of the back 4.

The first problem here (even apart from your defensive struggles) is that your tactic is very much one-dimensional. I could suggest you some tweaks in terms of roles and duties that should improve your tactic, but for any tactic to work you need the right players. Anyway, here is one possible example of how you can set up roles and duties in a 4123:

PFa

APMs                           IFa

CMa    BtBM

HB/ACM

FBs     CD     CD     WBs

GK/SKd

Alternatively, you can have your left FB on attack duty, but given that your defence is already too vulnerable (and you already have 3 attack duties), it might not be a good idea. 

Or you can try this:

F9/DLFs

APMs                               Ws

CMa    DLPs

HB/ACM

FBs    CD    CD     IWBa

Archived