New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Thanks for the suggestion mate. What's the amd processor like though at processing games a day fm in general?

I've got a manufacture refurbished hp g6 with 1000gb hd, 8gb ram and a i5 3210m cpu with integrated graphics. All for 320 Inc postage. Anyone tell me what's best out of those two please?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its ok ive gone for the HP g6 at £321 pounds. Its not refurbished as such just a return to store so might neverhave been used. At 1tb hard drive, 8gb ddr3 ram and and i5 3230m processor you cant complain at that price!!! Should beat my Dell insprion 14z 13 3217u processor i hope :)

Its ok ive gone for the HP g6 at £321 pounds. Its not refurbished as such just a return to store so might neverhave been used. At 1tb hard drive, 8gb ddr3 ram and and i5 3230m processor you cant complain at that price!!! Should beat my Dell insprion 14z 13 3217u processor i hope :)

Good stuff! I am impressed with the AMD10 actually its not bad at all, first AMD proc so was a little apprehensive at first but its quick! I guess the name Intel carries some heft with it hence the increase in price in some cases!

Good stuff! I am impressed with the AMD10 actually its not bad at all, first AMD proc so was a little apprehensive at first but its quick! I guess the name Intel carries some heft with it hence the increase in price in some cases!

Oh absolutely. I run an AMD DX8350 in my desktop which is rather powerful and nifty so. But i just plumped for that laptop on price alone really, £100 cheaper so be rude not too! Thank you for your suggestion though, much appreciated!

Oh absolutely. I run an AMD DX8350 in my desktop which is rather powerful and nifty so. But i just plumped for that laptop on price alone really, £100 cheaper so be rude not too! Thank you for your suggestion though, much appreciated!

Thats ok matey, no problem. Enjoy!

In the next month I will be buying a new laptop and I will have around £500-600 to spend. On my old laptop running FM 14 was a bit of a problem where I was only getting 1 and a half stars for performance and speed and that was whilst just running one league. For FM 15 I would like to run several leagues like a lot of others do but don't understand the specs on laptopz what should I be looking at? The performance and speed have 5 stars how can I make sure I'm running the game and getting 5 stars? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi guys I am looking to get a new laptop mainly for school.. I am interested in http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03560803 since i can get it for pretty cheap.. Do you guys know if it would support fm14 and the fm15 to come in a good way ? Also does anybody know if there is a windows tablet or surface that can support the full version of FM decently well ? Thanks

Hi guys I am looking to get a new laptop mainly for school.. I am interested in http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03560803 since i can get it for pretty cheap.. Do you guys know if it would support fm14 and the fm15 to come in a good way ? Also does anybody know if there is a windows tablet or surface that can support the full version of FM decently well ? Thanks

PC System Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

That computer should be able to run FM for this year and next year. But as for whether it will do it in a good way, I am not sure because what you think is a good way may not be the same as for other people. Can you please tell us at least how many leagues you run and the size of the database you use.

Has anyone else played FM on a late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro? The £1,699.00 model: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Cause when ever I play the game on it, it turns into a heating device. It gets stupidly hot, the fans are blaring. And that's after just loading the game up and pressing continue.

What resolution are you playing at, and how many leagues? It should be able to run it quite well.

In the next month I will be buying a new laptop and I will have around £500-600 to spend. On my old laptop running FM 14 was a bit of a problem where I was only getting 1 and a half stars for performance and speed and that was whilst just running one league. For FM 15 I would like to run several leagues like a lot of others do but don't understand the specs on laptopz what should I be looking at? The performance and speed have 5 stars how can I make sure I'm running the game and getting 5 stars? Any help would be greatly appreciated

It's not possible to buy a laptop rated at 5 stars performance for £500-600, you'll need maybe double or three times that. And even then, the stars aren't always a reliable indicator for what your experience will be.

The main thing you'll be looking at is the CPU. The better it is the faster it will run. For your budget you're looking at an i3 or an i5. Second is RAM. 4GB is fine, 8GB is good.

For your budget that mean's you'll be looking at something like this: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.MAGEK.001-Acer-Aspire-V5-572G_1429513.html

also consult this list: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/gaming-laptops-lowest

these should give you an idea of what you need and how much you might need to spend.

I would recommend the Lenovo Z510: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59395010-Lenovo-Z510_1536137.html

Lenovo is a trustworthy brand with good and cheap hardware and this looks suitable.

PC System Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

That computer should be able to run FM for this year and next year. But as for whether it will do it in a good way, I am not sure because what you think is a good way may not be the same as for other people. Can you please tell us at least how many leagues you run and the size of the database you use.

well im currently playing it on a core i5 .. this would not be my main laptop but i need it for school..running 3d without much stuttering on medium graphics and maybe 5 loaded leagues with 3 as playable without waiting ages for it to load ?

well im currently playing it on a core i5 .. this would not be my main laptop but i need it for school..running 3d without much stuttering on medium graphics and maybe 5 loaded leagues with 3 as playable without waiting ages for it to load ?

Laptop components unsurprisingly perform very similarly to desktop components. The computer you linked to has AMD Dual-Core A4-4300M processor, which from a google search tells me that it performs less well than an i3. So if you find that you find those settings on your current computer are too slow, then it is unlikely that you will have an enjoyable experience on that computer.

That said, you are on a budget and must adjust your expectations accordingly. If this is the computer that you want, its performance running FM will not be a huge concern - the hardware is capable of running FM14 and probably 15, at medium graphics (though it might lag a little bit). You'll have to experiment with the database settings to give you an enjoyable experience overall.

By the way, tablets do not run FM well. The program is not touch optimized.

Would the mid-2014 Apple MacBook Air 13'' be able to run FM at a decent speed with about 50,000 players loaded?

Specs:

- 1,4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2,7 GHz)

- 4GB RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 5000

- 128 GB SSD

Hi All,

I'm after an opinion on which processor would be better to play FM on:

1. an intel core i3 with a clock speed of 2.4.

2. an intel core i5 with a clock speed of 1.6.

Is there anything else I need to check? both computers come with 8gb ram.

Also, is there the possibility that I am worrying over nothing and the difference is going to be un-noticeable to an old dude like me?

Hi All,

I'm after an opinion on which processor would be better to play FM on:

1. an intel core i3 with a clock speed of 2.4.

2. an intel core i5 with a clock speed of 1.6.

Is there anything else I need to check? both computers come with 8gb ram.

Also, is there the possibility that I am worrying over nothing and the difference is going to be un-noticeable to an old dude like me?

Will be pretty much the same, so maybe get the newer one/cheaper one depending on your needs.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3110M

my old laptop is really struggling so i want to get a new laptop. but i'm on a very tight budget.

i saw this one on best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-jet-black/6223104.p?id=1219198750553&skuId=6223104&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=12

Intel® Core™ i3-4005U Processor (1.7ghz, 3mb cache)

4GB DDR3L RAM 1600MHz

Intel® HD 4400 Integrated Graphics

would that be good enough to run fm14 smoothly? and run the upcoming games for at least 2/3 years?

your help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

my old laptop is really struggling so i want to get a new laptop. but i'm on a very tight budget.

i saw this one on best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-jet-black/6223104.p?id=1219198750553&skuId=6223104&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=12

Intel® Core™ i3-4005U Processor (1.7ghz, 3mb cache)

4GB DDR3L RAM 1600MHz

Intel® HD 4400 Integrated Graphics

would that be good enough to run fm14 smoothly? and run the upcoming games for at least 2/3 years?

your help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Now that we're coming to the end of the year, usually it would be a good time to buy a new laptop. However, because FM14 is coming to an end due to your limited budget you might do better saving up for a while before you make your purchase, especially if you want it to last for 2/3 years. Maybe at least wait until Intel releases their new Broadwell CPUs so that you can buy an older but more capable machine at a lower cost. The release of Broadwell has been delayed, but should be available by the holiday season. Therefore, I would advise you to wait until FM15 comes out to purchase your laptop if you are on a tight budget.

I say the same thing to everyone - save to spend more money initially and you'll save a lot of hassle and add-on costs in the future (especially if you already have a laptop now). Plus, you'll have a better gaming experience.

If you need it right now, then that laptop is fine for the price, and will probably allow you to play FM14 and 15, but it really depends on how many leagues and players you like to load. However, laptops like this may cost $50 less or even cheaper come holiday season.

**edited**

Actually, I had another look at the computer and it looks like a really good deal, though I'm still not sure if you would be able to run FM on it for years and years. If you are absolutely sure that you won't be able to save up some more to get at least something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver/6361104.p?id=1219209052567&skuId=6361104&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=11&lp=3

then maybe you should go for the one that you picked out. the reason I still recommend saving and buying later is because of the CPU and the RAM. You'll want more than 4GB of RAM for your computer to run smoothly, and you'll want a better processor if you want the game to run fast and the computer to last for multiple iterations of FM. For example when we compare the i3-4005U with the i5-4210U, here is the difference: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4005U-vs-Intel-4210U

As you can see, you would get more than 50% better performance (+ more RAM) for the extra $220. And even less if you wait for the holiday season.

thank you very much for your reply. great help indeed.

i do think i can save up, but i was unwilling to spend such amount on a new laptop. $400 was my limit.

however, as you said, and a lot of my friends are saying the same, that i should wait till the end of year deals (black friday, cyber monday).

i will probably do that then. thank you very much friend. you are a star.

Hi,

I am looking at getting a new laptop as mine is about to die (lots of messages coming up about HDD imminent failure).

The laptop I have at the minute is a Sony Vaio VPCCB4C5E.

It has run FM14 OK but sometimes I have a lot of stuttering, probably due to the integrated graphics.

I have around £700 to spend on a new laptop and would like a bit of advice. My brother has a MSI CX61 which seems to run FM smoothly but I am looking at other options aswell.

I would use the laptop for browsing the web, word processing, playing FM and also watching films occasionally. It is used as the main 'computer' in the house.

any help with this is much appreciated

regards

andy

Hi, I'm currently looking for a new laptop as my current one can barely run it. Can't really afford much more than £400. Anyone for an opinion on this one, http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-g505s-laptop-amd-a10-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-black/p1365130

I'm not overly bothered about watching the game in 3d, it's more about running it a decent speed. Thanks for your time folks.

Hi, I'm currently looking for a new laptop as my current one can barely run it. Can't really afford much more than £400. Anyone for an opinion on this one, http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-g505s-laptop-amd-a10-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-black/p1365130

I'm not overly bothered about watching the game in 3d, it's more about running it a decent speed. Thanks for your time folks.

Should be fine. The problem with buying laptops is that often gaming performance is tied directly to graphics performance. If that's your budget and you absolutely need a laptop then that's probably a decent enough machine.

I wasn't aware that the graphics were linked to overall performance, thanks for the heads up. I think, for the sake of an extra £50, I'm going to go for the one jr866gunner recommend a few posts up seeing as he's had nothing but good things to say about it.

Thanks for your reply!

How on earth?

Should be fine. The problem with buying laptops is that often gaming performance is tied directly to graphics performance. If that's your budget and you absolutely need a laptop then that's probably a decent enough machine.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

The game runs on processing power, not graphics performance.

The problem with laptops is that they are compact and prone to overheating, when the processor overheats it goes into a lower cycle to cool down, giving a lower performance.

Desktop systems typically have a lot of air around the components so they don't heat up as much - not to say they can't.

The AMD 10 has two models the 4600M and the 4655M - which both operate at different processing speeds. 4600m will run at 2.3/3.0ghz and the 4655 will run at 2.0/2.8ghz.

With a good SSD drive you could boot in about 10 seconds providing the SSD isn't loaded with bloatware.

The laptop is what it is - a 1TB drive with 8gb RAM and about 2.0ghz min processor speed. It will be fine for FM. But the laptop doesn't go into a description of the speed of the hard drive, type of RAM or even the exact model of the processor.

My suggestion would be to format the drive when you get it an load a version of Linux on to it to run FM from - if you know how to do that, or get a techy friend to help you.

Any computer bought off the shelf if filled with bloatware which will slow down your computer and your gaming experience.

Now that we're coming to the end of the year, usually it would be a good time to buy a new laptop. However, because FM14 is coming to an end due to your limited budget you might do better saving up for a while before you make your purchase, especially if you want it to last for 2/3 years. Maybe at least wait until Intel releases their new Broadwell CPUs so that you can buy an older but more capable machine at a lower cost. The release of Broadwell has been delayed, but should be available by the holiday season. Therefore, I would advise you to wait until FM15 comes out to purchase your laptop if you are on a tight budget.

I say the same thing to everyone - save to spend more money initially and you'll save a lot of hassle and add-on costs in the future (especially if you already have a laptop now). Plus, you'll have a better gaming experience.

If you need it right now, then that laptop is fine for the price, and will probably allow you to play FM14 and 15, but it really depends on how many leagues and players you like to load. However, laptops like this may cost $50 less or even cheaper come holiday season.

**edited**

Actually, I had another look at the computer and it looks like a really good deal, though I'm still not sure if you would be able to run FM on it for years and years. If you are absolutely sure that you won't be able to save up some more to get at least something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver/6361104.p?id=1219209052567&skuId=6361104&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=11&lp=3

then maybe you should go for the one that you picked out. the reason I still recommend saving and buying later is because of the CPU and the RAM. You'll want more than 4GB of RAM for your computer to run smoothly, and you'll want a better processor if you want the game to run fast and the computer to last for multiple iterations of FM. For example when we compare the i3-4005U with the i5-4210U, here is the difference: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4005U-vs-Intel-4210U

As you can see, you would get more than 50% better performance (+ more RAM) for the extra $220. And even less if you wait for the holiday season.

as i mentioned in my above comment, i will delay buying a new laptop until the end of the year. however, for the time being, is it worth upgrading my current one?

currently i have an asus k43u with AMD E 450 processor with Radeon HD 6320, and 2GB RAM. would i get a better performance if i upgraded to 4GB RAM? would the improvement be significant or marginal?

thank you.

Alright peeps, I'm also looking for a new laptop in prep for 2015, and my budget will be around 500-600 quid. My current laptop is this one

TOSHIBA

Satellite L655

Intel® Core i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

4096MB RAM

Intel® HD Graphics

Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

I got that 4 years ago for 600 quid from PC world, I know you always get ripped at the big stores like that, so was wondering if something like this could be a more worthy investment this time around so I can play some Total War etc as well as FM?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ5840-645AE-Cube-Chameleon-Cz-5840_1631682.html

If not, any advice?

How on earth?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

The game runs on processing power, not graphics performance.

The problem with laptops is that they are compact and prone to overheating, when the processor overheats it goes into a lower cycle to cool down, giving a lower performance.

Desktop systems typically have a lot of air around the components so they don't heat up as much - not to say they can't.

The AMD 10 has two models the 4600M and the 4655M - which both operate at different processing speeds. 4600m will run at 2.3/3.0ghz and the 4655 will run at 2.0/2.8ghz.

With a good SSD drive you could boot in about 10 seconds providing the SSD isn't loaded with bloatware.

The laptop is what it is - a 1TB drive with 8gb RAM and about 2.0ghz min processor speed. It will be fine for FM. But the laptop doesn't go into a description of the speed of the hard drive, type of RAM or even the exact model of the processor.

My suggestion would be to format the drive when you get it an load a version of Linux on to it to run FM from - if you know how to do that, or get a techy friend to help you.

Any computer bought off the shelf if filled with bloatware which will slow down your computer and your gaming experience.

Whoops, my wording was probably not clear enough. What I meant was that when you buy a laptop, the power of the CPU and the graphics chip have a positive correlation. It's very difficult for example to find a computer that has a full quad core i7 chip but no graphics card. This will push up the price even more; this is not a problem when you are building your own desktop.

Anyone who genuinely needs help with getting a laptop on this thread is likely to be a novice; unless you want to go to each person's house and give full tech support I reckon that any advice should be kept as simple as possible. This is why I use simple wording and broad generalizations.

as i mentioned in my above comment, i will delay buying a new laptop until the end of the year. however, for the time being, is it worth upgrading my current one?

currently i have an asus k43u with AMD E 450 processor with Radeon HD 6320, and 2GB RAM. would i get a better performance if i upgraded to 4GB RAM? would the improvement be significant or marginal?

thank you.

Which operating system are you using? It should give a big boost in performance but only relative to what you are experiencing now. It certainly would not make your laptop comparable to one that you should be buying now. I'm afraid I have no idea how much an extra RAM stick would cost as I wouldn't know what type this computer would use and whether it even has an extra RAM slot.

Which operating system are you using? It should give a big boost in performance but only relative to what you are experiencing now. It certainly would not make your laptop comparable to one that you should be buying now. I'm afraid I have no idea how much an extra RAM stick would cost as I wouldn't know what type this computer would use and whether it even has an extra RAM slot.

I'm using windows 8 at the moment. I have 2x1GB RAM installed so I'll need to get rid of them and get 1x4Gb or 2x2gb. Out of those, which will perform better? I've heard people say 2 rams are better for dual core. How true is that statement?

Thank you.

Alright peeps, I'm also looking for a new laptop in prep for 2015, and my budget will be around 500-600 quid. My current laptop is this one

TOSHIBA

Satellite L655

Intel® Core i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

4096MB RAM

Intel® HD Graphics

Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

I got that 4 years ago for 600 quid from PC world, I know you always get ripped at the big stores like that, so was wondering if something like this could be a more worthy investment this time around so I can play some Total War etc as well as FM?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ5840-645AE-Cube-Chameleon-Cz-5840_1631682.html

If not, any advice?

Sounds like you are due for an upgrade. Have no idea if that brand of computer is reliable but looks like it is good value.

Compared to your older computer this should be a big improvement

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-450M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4200M

I'm using windows 8 at the moment. I have 2x1GB RAM installed so I'll need to get rid of them and get 1x4Gb or 2x2gb. Out of those, which will perform better? I've heard people say 2 rams are better for dual core. How true is that statement?

Thank you.

I have no personal experience with using one or two sticks of RAM but looks like the general consensus is that two sticks is better because the computer can use both at the same time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1799416/whats-difference-4gig-sticks-ram-gig-stick-ram.html

Also, you should definitely try to buy the same RAM for both slots if possible.

I have no personal experience with using one or two sticks of RAM but looks like the general consensus is that two sticks is better because the computer can use both at the same time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1799416/whats-difference-4gig-sticks-ram-gig-stick-ram.html

Also, you should definitely try to buy the same RAM for both slots if possible.

Great help. Thanks a lot. :)

Debating about getting a cheap laptop purely for FM. A family member bought a Toshiba satellite C50-A-1DV and reckons it would be good for me to use.

Windows 8.1 64-bit (pre-installed)

3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3110M Processor

Toshiba HD non-reflective High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting

1 TB

Matt black finish with hairline pattern, black keyboard

4,096 (1x) MB

DDR3 RAM (1,600 MHz)

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

maximum life : up to 4h00min (Mobile Mark™ 2012)

weight : starting at 2.3 kg

W x D x H : 380.0 x 242.0 x 30.8 (front) / 33.35 (rear) mm

Although I wouldn't buy a factory refurb for the sake of what it looks like I've attached a link to one below

http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/as-new-laptops/toshiba-satellite-c50-a-1dv-intel-core-i3-24ghz-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-windows-8-dvd-rw-wi-fi-ethernet-rj45-webcam-factory-refurbished.html

This is why I use simple wording and broad generalizations.

I think this just adds confusion to the person buying the computer - unless they use the same broad generalisational terms that you use - nobody knows what you're talking about, not novices, or intermediates, or advanced computer people.

Best to stick the lingo that every recognises.

Debating about getting a cheap laptop purely for FM. A family member bought a Toshiba satellite C50-A-1DV and reckons it would be good for me to use.

Probably take what they say with a pinch of salt - unless they play FM and have knowledge of computers - which they probably don't to either scenario.

Windows 8.1 64-bit (pre-installed)

FM is not a 64 bit game this makes minimal difference.

3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3110M Processor

This is a 2.4 ghz processor at it's slowest (when the laptop is really hot it might run slower) - and can overclock to 3.0ghz.

It should be fine for up to 5-7 leauges in FM.

Toshiba HD non-reflective High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting

Null Point

1 TB

Refers to hard drive - lots of space - but without knowing the model and speed of the drive it's probably a 5,200 which will be slow loading and saving large saves (if you like to play beyond 2025 etc.)

Matt black finish with hairline pattern, black keyboard

Null Point

4,096 (1x) MB

DDR3 RAM (1,600 MHz)

4gb RAM I presume - probably enough for FM - but since you've got a 64 bit system there should be at least 8gb RAM.

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Should be able to show 3d matches on low quality setting no problem.

maximum life : up to 4h00min (Mobile Mark™ 2012)

weight : starting at 2.3 kg

W x D x H : 380.0 x 242.0 x 30.8 (front) / 33.35 (rear) mm

*Shrugs*

Just looked on the Toshiba refurb store - and nothing over 4gb RAM - which is pretty useless.

I'd suggest looking on save on laptops dot co dot uk

However, I don't think you'll get a good enough computer for £350 - £400, I suggest trying to get to £450 for your budget.

I reckon its about time my company bought me a new laptop, my current one is a decent spec but a couple of years old and taken a bit of beating in that time with lots of travelling. Overheating is starting to be an issue and its looking past its best.

Does anyone have experience with MSI Laptops?

The MSI GS60 ghost seems a lovely bit of kit. i7 Quad core haswell, 8GB DDR (which i think you can knock up to 16GB for a few quid). Very decent graphics (GeForce GTX860) and also comes with SSD which massively improves save/load times doesnt it?

The slightly cheaper MSI GP60 is similarly good spec, but the ghost is much thinner and lighter (almost an ultrabook spec).

Curious as to whether people have used MSI, as they are fairly gaming orientated in general i think?

On a related note, i was looking at the Razor-Blade 14 which looks a gorgeous bit of kit. I have this wierd fear though that playing GM on 13" or 14" screens will mess it up. I think this is probably nonsense, and based on the fact that for FM12 i had a smaller screen which meant that things like the attributes screen had ugly scroll bars. I assume that resolution, not screen size alone, will dictate this type of thing?

MSI is a good make.

What you've said is correct.

I'd go for at least 15 inch screen

I wouldn't bother getting MSI to upgrade the RAM - you can buy RAM cheaper and install it yourself. It's very easy on a laptop.

MSI is a good make.

What you've said is correct.

I'd go for at least 15 inch screen

I wouldn't bother getting MSI to upgrade the RAM - you can buy RAM cheaper and install it yourself. It's very easy on a laptop.

Cheers for the advice on MSI and RAM.

Slightly surprised about the screen size though. Isnt it resolution which impacts how you can view the UI, and if so, given the huge resolutions possible on new laptops, wouldnt 14" show it all fine?

Be great if anyone running it on 13" or 14" has a screenshot or 2 to share.

I think I read something about FM not working that great on "netbooks" small laptops with small screens.

It might look fine - it might not - check FM min resoultion and make sure the 14 inch screen can display that resolution.

Yes but a netbook is not a 14" laptop?? Netbooks are generally anything from 7" to max 12" screen so not really a good comparison im afraid. The newest laptops like the ones i am talking about are capable of great resolutions.

And "it might look fine, it might not"............thanks for that advice!:lol: Thanks for chipping in though.

No one else playing on an Ultrabook / 14" or even 13" laptop?

Well that's why I said to check what FM min resolution is - I don't have it off hand.

There is something about a small screen/resolution and issues with that. There was a thread about it a while ago - perhaps if you searched the forums you'd find it.

Hi guys

I have a windows tablet - Acer Iconia W510 that I use to play fm2013 - it takes a while to load, but once loaded plays fine (you could cook toast off the tablet whilst it is playing though...)

I'm considering upgrading to FM14 - will my tablet cope ok do you think?

Windows 8 - Intel Atom (Z2760, 1.50 GHz, 1 MB)

Yes but a netbook is not a 14" laptop?? Netbooks are generally anything from 7" to max 12" screen so not really a good comparison im afraid. The newest laptops like the ones i am talking about are capable of great resolutions.

And "it might look fine, it might not"............thanks for that advice!:lol: Thanks for chipping in though.

No one else playing on an Ultrabook / 14" or even 13" laptop?

The minimum resolution for FM14 is 1024 x 768. Netbooks will not have a good experience because their resolutions are 1024 x 600.

If you do not like how the default skin makes your game appear, you can always download a custom made one that deals better with lower resolutions.

Hi guys

I have a windows tablet - Acer Iconia W510 that I use to play fm2013 - it takes a while to load, but once loaded plays fine (you could cook toast off the tablet whilst it is playing though...)

I'm considering upgrading to FM14 - will my tablet cope ok do you think?

Windows 8 - Intel Atom (Z2760, 1.50 GHz, 1 MB)

FM13 and FM14 have pretty much the exact same system requirements, so you can probably play FM14 on your tablet. Though you may not want to due to the powerful new features.

FM13 and FM14 have pretty much the exact same system requirements, so you can probably play FM14 on your tablet. Though you may not want to due to the powerful new features.
can I turn those features off? Will they make the game run slower do you mean?

can I turn those features off? Will they make the game run slower do you mean?

I'm sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote the last part. It should be pretty much the same, so turn off 3D matches like you did with FM13 and maybe try loading fewer players/leagues. If it doesn't work you can try playing FM Classic mode, which might be lighter on the system.

Didn't know where else to post this.

Just bought FM2007, my favourite game of the series. Having serious problems downloading it on my PC with Windows 7. I've tried changing the compatibility to Windows 98 but having no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Archived