New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

1 minute ago, John_Yuki said:

Download Speccy and let us know what the temperatures on when you're playing the game.

Where can I get speccy from? I'll be able to do it this afternoon when I get in

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

The motherboard comes with a complete guide on where everything slots in. If they still refuse to learn how to maintain their computer, then they could probably find a tech store near them that will build it for like £15-20 or something. £130 (which is like 15% of the cost of this computer), is absolutely not worth it for the average person. Just stop being lazy and either build it yourself (will take you 2 hours as an absolute beginner watching YouTube tutorials and reading the MoBo manual), or save yourself money and pay someone to build it for you. No reason to spend an extra £130 out of pure laziness. It's just wasteful.

That's your opinion - and if anyone wants to follow that advice then good luck to them.  At the moment, and the years I've been doing this on this forum - it's not likely to happen.  If people had general knowledge to build computers they wouldn't be here. 

3 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

This is the laptop I currently have 

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62VR-7RF-Apache-Pro

It's getting pretty hot when I play FM and only FM. Is there anything I can do to  reduce the heat? The specs are definitley fine to run FM but am concerned with how hot its getting.

Cheers.

It will get hot if the vents are clogged, you can buy a can of compressed air to blow out the air from the vents. 

Failing that - if you're confident you can open the laptop yourself and clear the vents - if you are not confident of this you can bring it to a local store to get it cleaned. 

You should also try to invest in a laptop cooler - they are quite cheap. Not only do they behave as stand so that the vents are clear of material (like couches or even table where it can suck in dust), they also have fans underneath the will help to circulate air around the laptop to keep it cool. 

6 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

Download Speccy and let us know what the temperatures on when you're playing the game.

I fail to see what finding out the temperatures will achieve. It will get hot playing FM for numerous reasons. Cleaning the vents is first point of call. 

4 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Where can I get speccy from? I'll be able to do it this afternoon when I get in

It's a ccleaner application. You can try it - but I feel it will be futile in your investigation. Clean your computer vents and buy a laptop cooling stand.

Just now, Smurf said:

That's your opinion - and if anyone wants to follow that advice then good luck to them.  At the moment, and the years I've been doing this on this forum - it's not likely to happen.  If people had general knowledge to build computers they wouldn't be here.

Then we should give them the correct advice and advise them to learn how to build a computer as it will save them hundreds of pounds, if not thousands of pounds over their lifetime. Not to mention it shows them how to clean their computer properly and take things out as and when needed, as well as upgrade things as and when needed. Computers are the future, learn sooner rather than later. It's not difficult to get a basic understanding of what each part of the computer does. If people want to be lazy fricks and blow money needlessly and get ripped off then whatever it's their money. It just irritates me to no end when people refuse to learn basic maintenance about their very expensive machine.

9 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

This is the laptop I currently have 

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62VR-7RF-Apache-Pro

It's getting pretty hot when I play FM and only FM. Is there anything I can do to  reduce the heat? The specs are definitley fine to run FM but am concerned with how hot its getting.

Cheers.

Also - can you please let us know the exact specs of your laptop? 

You can open Start on the bottom left - and type in "DXDAIG" 

Let us know Processor Model Number - Amount of Ram - and type of graphics card. 

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

I fail to see what finding out the temperatures will achieve. It will get hot playing FM for numerous reasons. Cleaning the vents is first point of call.

He just said "hot". If you have the laptop on your lap, then 60C will feel "hot", but 60C is a fine operating temperature when playing games. He also has a 1060 in that thing that will be giving off heat as well. If it's 60C then it's fine and he doesn't have to do anything.

Just now, John_Yuki said:

Then we should give them the correct advice and advise them to learn how to build a computer as it will save them hundreds of pounds, if not thousands of pounds over their lifetime. Not to mention it shows them how to clean their computer properly and take things out as and when needed, as well as upgrade things as and when needed. Computers are the future, learn sooner rather than later. It's not difficult to get a basic understanding of what each part of the computer does. If people want to be lazy fricks and blow money needlessly and get ripped off then whatever it's their money. It just irritates me to no end when people refuse to learn basic maintenance about their very expensive machine.

Do you service your own car? Do you service your own boiler? If your boiler broke down would you build a new one? Did you build your house?

Your attitude is bizzare - not everyone is techy - and they just want to play football manager. They have a budget and want an out of the box solutuion with no messing about. 

But hey - if you want to help people build their own computers I'm not going to stop you. 

If they want to take that route they can. 

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

4 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's a ccleaner application. You can try it - but I feel it will be futile in your investigation. Clean your computer vents and buy a laptop cooling stand.

Cool thanks. I will get the DXDAIG shortly when I'm home.

Just now, Smurf said:

Do you service your own car? Do you service your own boiler? If your boiler broke down would you build a new one? Did you build your house?

Your attitude is bizzare - not everyone is techy - and they just want to play football manager. They have a budget and want an out of the box solutuion with no messing about. 

But hey - if you want to help people build their own computers I'm not going to stop you. 

If they want to take that route they can. 

Good luck.

Absolutely dire analogy. It takes years to learn how to properly service a car or boiler, or build a freaking house. It takes 2 hours to build a computer and then you're set for life. Whatever though, keep giving people crappy advice, I feel bad for the people that come here honestly.

2 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

He just said "hot". If you have the laptop on your lap, then 60C will feel "hot", but 60C is a fine operating temperature when playing games. He also has a 1060 in that thing that will be giving off heat as well. If it's 60C then it's fine and he doesn't have to do anything.

"hot" can mean different things. You don't know if it's 60C or 100C or 20C. But if it's getting hot enough to report it then the usual culprit is blocked vents. 

And we don't know what he has, the specs are vague. That might be a starting model and you can add on. We don't know what type of i7 processor they have. Or any other details. 

The game may be putting the laptop under stress due to it's specs. 

5 minutes ago, Smurf said:

DxDiag.txtHey man DXDAIG attached. 

5 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

Does the 1060 give off a lot of heat? The fans seem to be loud as well when I'm running FM. It's not that old a laptop either really.

Just now, Smurf said:

And we don't know what he has, the specs are vague. That might be a starting model and you can add on. We don't know what type of i7 processor they have. Or any other details.

The website states the specs. Read it. 7th Gen i7 processor, GTX 1060. All you need to know regarding heat.

Absolutely dire analogy. It takes years to learn how to properly service a car or boiler, or build a freaking house. It takes 2 hours to build a computer and then you're set for life. Whatever though, keep giving people crappy advice, I feel bad for the people that come here honestly.

Did it take you 2 hours to build your first computer? Did it go right? Did it work out for you? What are the pitfalls? 

I don't see how it's a crappy analogy. Some people aren't techy or understand computers. It's pretty simple.

The only advice people want here is a computer out of the box. If people wanted to build their own they wouldn't be here. 

Just now, bigmattb28 said:

Does the 1060 give off a lot of heat? The fans seem to be loud as well when I'm running FM. It's not that old a laptop either really.

It can do if you're playing graphically intense games.

Loud fans isn't really bad. Loud fans just means your processor is getting hotter so the fans work harder to keep the temperatures down. Just make sure you aren't blocking the vents. Download Speccy and test the temperatures. If the processor temperature is below like 70C when you're playing FM then you're fine and there is no need to worry. If it is above 70C then make sure the vents are clear, and you're not blocking the vents with anything like a blanket or something.

The website states the specs. Read it. 7th Gen i7 processor, GTX 1060. All you need to know regarding heat.

What i7 processor though? Was it an i7-7500u or a i7- 2649m or an i7-7700hq

We didn't have that info before - now we do.

Is an i7-2649M a 7th gen processor? Hmm.

Look if you came here to pick a fight then you're here for the wrong reasons. Help or don't help. 

If someone wants to buy a rig then let them, if they want to build a rig then let them. 

If you want to help, then help. If you want to fight, then go somewhere else. 

Just now, Smurf said:

Also said that the graphics card was 1060 - and it's not it's 1050Ti.

That's why I asked for the dx diag.

Then he linked the wrong link, because the link he sent says it has a GTX 1060. It matters not though, It's the processor that is going to be giving off heat.

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

Look if you came here to pick a fight then you're here for the wrong reasons. Help or don't help. 

If someone wants to buy a rig then let them, if they want to build a rig then let them. 

If you want to help, then help. If you want to fight, then go somewhere else. 

Like I said earlier, I'm done, and unsubscribing from this thread. You're giving them really crappy advice and screwing them over by not telling them the actual facts. If you actually wanted to help them then you would show them PC building guides to show them how easy it is, and how much cheaper they can get their computer. You're giving them the easy advice because it's just easier for you, not because you're doing right by the people asking.

Then he linked the wrong link, because the link he sent says it has a GTX 1060. It matters not though, It's the processor that is going to be giving off heat.

Precisely why I asked, the specs weren't clear, didn't list actual specs.

Like I said earlier, I'm done, and unsubscribing from this thread. You're giving them really crappy advice and screwing them over by not telling them the actual facts. If you actually wanted to help them then you would show them PC building guides to show them how easy it is, and how much cheaper they can get their computer. You're giving them the easy advice because it's just easier for you, not because you're doing right by the people asking.

Fair enough. Good luck.

10 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

DxDiag.txtHey man DXDAIG attached. 

Do you want to try build your own computer from scratch?

Sorry I linked the wrong laptop my bad. @Smurf from the DXDAIG i put can you see what if anything the issue is? I have a can of compressed air from work so will spray that in and around the vents. Also have a laptop like tray with fans on from a friend hopefully that will help too.

Just now, Smurf said:

Do you want to try build your own computer from scratch?

Nope! not thought of ever doing that! This laptop came from Scan and is striaght out the box, I;ve not added or removed anything.

4 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Nope! not thought of ever doing that! This laptop came from Scan and is striaght out the box, I;ve not added or removed anything.

Best thing to do - as I don't have a lot of time today as I am working. But you could go to the 

Ask the SI team in the tech forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/583-crashes-and-technical-issues-pc/

Post your DX DIAG there - they can advise if you're running the right drivers etc. and if there's any updates you should make specific to the issue of the laptop overheating. 

And/Or similarly post to the MSI community with the DXDIAG and ask them if all the drivers and setup is ok. 

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=168

That's the best path to do with the overheating, I genuinely feel the vents are clogged and you need a laptop cooler. 

But if that doesn't help then I'd aks the MSI or SI teams to recommend best drivers for your laptop.

14 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Best thing to do - as I don't have a lot of time today as I am working. But you could go to the 

Ask the SI team in the tech forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/583-crashes-and-technical-issues-pc/

Post your DX DIAG there - they can advise if you're running the right drivers etc. and if there's any updates you should make specific to the issue of the laptop overheating. 

And/Or similarly post to the MSI community with the DXDIAG and ask them if all the drivers and setup is ok. 

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=168

That's the best path to do with the overheating, I genuinely feel the vents are clogged and you need a laptop cooler. 

But if that doesn't help then I'd aks the MSI or SI teams to recommend best drivers for your laptop.

Superb cheers mate will do.

Looking to buy a laptop mainly just for Football manager 18/touch however max budget is only £300 and would be wanting to use 3D match engine.. considering below https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-white-10164449-pdt.html

• Intel® Pentium® Gold 4415U Processor
  • RAM: 4 GB / Storage: 128 GB SSD.     No mention of graphic card.

Would this even run it or would it be a waste getting a laptop at this price range for the purpose of playing FM?

Any info would be much appreciated as I have no idea when it comes to laptops and gaming.

26 minutes ago, JD23 said:

Looking to buy a laptop mainly just for Football manager 18/touch however max budget is only £300 and would be wanting to use 3D match engine.. considering below https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-white-10164449-pdt.html

• Intel® Pentium® Gold 4415U Processor
  • RAM: 4 GB / Storage: 128 GB SSD.     No mention of graphic card.

Would this even run it or would it be a waste getting a laptop at this price range for the purpose of playing FM?

Any info would be much appreciated as I have no idea when it comes to laptops and gaming.

Definitely not good enough. 

Most I see off the shelf are approx £600 

Would you be interested in building a laptop? @John_Yuki would be delighted to help you if you want to save some money.

36 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Definitely not good enough. 

Most I see off the shelf are approx £600 

Would you be interested in building a laptop? @John_Yuki would be delighted to help you if you want to save some money.

Cheers for reponse, your answer was very clear but I just want to clarify would it not work at all or would it just not be the smoothest. I ask as I played FM 2013 with no issues on a budget Laptop bought in 2009 (since I've only had mobile due to time constraints). I appreciate the 3D match engine is a step up though. I don't need a faultless experience by any means, but if it is just a no go with the new games then I appreciate the honest response.

50 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

Yeah cause that snide comment was necessary wasn't it.

It's your suggestion, not mine. I was simply taking your advice.

10 minutes ago, JD23 said:

Cheers for reponse, your answer was very clear but I just want to clarify would it not work at all or would it just not be the smoothest. I ask as I played FM 2013 with no issues on a budget Laptop bought in 2009 (since I've only had mobile due to time constraints). I appreciate the 3D match engine is a step up though. I don't need a faultless experience by any means, but if it is just a no go with the new games then I appreciate the honest response.

Yes, I believe it would load up ok - how well it would play is beyond me. 

If it's FM Touch you're looking to play (now that I go back to original post) - then you could buy a tablet 

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-touch-2018-compatibility-list

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this in but is relating to PC advise regarding FM.

I have a five year old laptop at the moment which runs FM18 ok'ish, but the plan is to buy a desktop in time for FM19 which will run quicker and with more leagues loaded.

The main question is if I buy a really good desktop to play FM on, does anyone have any experience of using something like Chrome Remote Desktop in relation to playing FM and would I be able to remote into my good desktop from my old laptop when I want to play in a different room to my office?

Many thanks

@Smurf Thanks for above advice, much appreciated.

I know neither of these will be great but would either make a great deal of difference over the previously listed laptop above for the slight additional outlay

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-15-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-inch-full-hd/empress-red/p3264256

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp076sa-14-intel-core-i3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-marine-blue-10180173-pdt.html

Really whether i3-7100U is much better than Pentium 4415U? And if additional RAM from 4 to 8 outweighs the loss of SSD.. Again any info would be great. Thanks

2 hours ago, JD23 said:

@Smurf Thanks for above advice, much appreciated.

I know neither of these will be great but would either make a great deal of difference over the previously listed laptop above for the slight additional outlay

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-15-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-inch-full-hd/empress-red/p3264256

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp076sa-14-intel-core-i3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-marine-blue-10180173-pdt.html

Really whether i3-7100U is much better than Pentium 4415U? And if additional RAM from 4 to 8 outweighs the loss of SSD.. Again any info would be great. Thanks

8gb is a must. An SSD is not.

The i3 is slightly better

On 11/08/2018 at 13:14, JonWHUFC06 said:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this in but is relating to PC advise regarding FM.

I have a five year old laptop at the moment which runs FM18 ok'ish, but the plan is to buy a desktop in time for FM19 which will run quicker and with more leagues loaded.

The main question is if I buy a really good desktop to play FM on, does anyone have any experience of using something like Chrome Remote Desktop in relation to playing FM and would I be able to remote into my good desktop from my old laptop when I want to play in a different room to my office?

Many thanks

Won't need to touch chrome. Steam has a built in in home streaming function. 

Simply boot the game on the good desktop, sign into steam on the laptop and click the stream button. 

1 hour ago, scott.jenkins17 said:

How do the 8th gen U series processors hold up with FM? i7-8550u in particular. 

There are significant gains for the 8th gen processor - how it fares for FM - I don't know.

Gains are only in multi-core - it's about 50% quicker - for single core it would still throttle. I wouldn't recommend a U processor for FM at all. 

FM is still largely single-core operations. And the stuff it uses for mulit-core like background matches are happen so quick having more cores etc. doesn't really affect it. 

But - if someone has any experience in using an 8th then could they please use the Benchmark thread and post results? https://community.sigames.com/topic/421162-fm18-performance-benchmarking-thread/

38 minutes ago, Barside said:

When did you last benchmarked the single core performance of a ‘u’ series processor?

I haven't - that's why I asked if someone could do it. If I see data to change my mind I will - at the moment all I have to go off is the specs of the processor, and the reviews from multiple sources. 

I am only passing on information that I know to be true. I'd rather recommend a different processor that handles single core performance better. 

I did find this benchmark from 2017

On 11/03/2017 at 08:07, lahara said:

I'm using my laptop for FM17 (planning on building a Ryzen 5 when it is released though), and haven't seen any benchmarks for similar system so here is one:)

CPU: Intel Core I5-7200U

CPU Frequency: 2500 MHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 

Storage: SSD

Test A

Time: 9 min 23 sec

Test B

Time: 15 min 47sec

a bit slow i must admit, so i'll go for steam in home streaming as soon as i get hold of a ryzen chip:)

Compared to a HQ

On 05/01/2017 at 10:28, fabioke said:

My results:

CPU: I5 6300HQ

CPU Frequency: 2.30Ghz  (Turbo 3.20GHz)

RAM: 8.00GB DDR3L 

Storage: SSD

Type: HP NOTEBOOK PAVILION "gaming" 15-AK020NB

FM17 Benchmark A

Time: 5 min 12 sec

FM17 Benchmark B

Time: 10 min 11 sec

I don't know if I should try the FM 2016 benchmark as I had performance issues on that version with windows 10. I could only play with maximum borderless mode after playing around with the task manager.

@Smurf last question, again your advice has been great.. I may be able to get below laptop;

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80X2006NUK-Lenovo-Ideapad-520s_2258987.html

• Intel Core i5-7200U Dual Core (2.5GHz, 3MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 3.1GHz)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 128GB SSD
  • Integrated (Intel HD 620 Graphics)

Worth extra compared to previous model with i3 and no ssd? I understand the graphics are no better.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, JD23 said:

@Smurf last question, again your advice has been great.. I may be able to get below laptop;

• Intel Core i5-7200U Dual Core (2.5GHz, 3MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 3.1GHz)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 128GB SSD

Worth extra compared to previous model with i3 and no ssd? I understand the graphics are no better.

Thanks

IF that's all you can afford then it will do. 128gb drive is relatively small. You'd eventually need an external drive or to replace the SSD.

It's not a computer I'd recommend for FM - but again, if that's all the money you have, it will run FM, how well, I don't know.

I pasted a Benchmark result directly above this in an eariler post. 

21 minutes ago, JD23 said:

• 8GB RAM
  • 128GB SSD

Thanks

Mate,, if I were you I would go onto Dells website and have a look at some of their refurbs ,, you might get something there for less.  Their refurbs still have a one year warranty I believe.  Also well worth going onto to their live chat,, as the prices they show on their main website are rarely what they are prepared to come down to.

I have gotten quite a bit off before from just asking for it,,, can also help if you have seen something you like elsewhere for less than their nearest version,, if you post them a link to it they will usually try to better it.  Sometimes you might have to try a couple of different agents but you usually get one that will offer you something.  Just make sure when you do you are in a position to buy fairly soon,,,as their offers they give on the chat or via email are usually only valid for a couple of days.  Always worth a try.  

Cheers for info above guys.. to be honest my budget was £300 but I'm able to get above laptop for £340 through an employee scheme and the laptop is listed on Lenova site for £549 and the cheapest i5 processor I can find elsewhere is £525 so it seems a decent deal and the best I'll manage for the money.

@Smurf PC I have now is way too old to run FM18 now and just got back into playing the game, do you think something like this (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/acer-aspire-xc-230-desktop-pc-10164210-pdt.html) would be ok to run FM? I've always played in 2D and don't play any other games on PC so not sure how good it has to be to run a simulator game.

15 hours ago, JSmyth said:

@Smurf PC I have now is way too old to run FM18 now and just got back into playing the game, do you think something like this (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/acer-aspire-xc-230-desktop-pc-10164210-pdt.html) would be ok to run FM? I've always played in 2D and don't play any other games on PC so not sure how good it has to be to run a simulator game.

Entry level processor - that's a no go for FM. 

Will it run - yes - will it be better - probably not.

After three years playing FM Touch on iPad, I'm saving up to upgrade my Macbook Pro that I've had for 6 and a half years. Hopefully it will last the next 3-4 editions of FM after FM19. I've had two Mac's in the last 10 years, I use it for general use as well as FM, and I usually play FM with a large database with 4-5 leagues loaded.

I was thinking of spending £1,500 - £1,700

Any recommendations?

Archived