New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I've had many a Lenovo and Novatech in house laptops come in.

And while the Lenovo cheap end laptops aren't perfect, they are certainly higher quality than a lot of laptops out there. Particularly when the buyer mentioned decent speakers etc. Lenovo tend to be quite crisp and clear.

I have been looking around and the upgrade on the Novatech is the only decent comparison.

Everything else is in around the same price for the same spec laptop.

If Welshace thinks the Lenovo is better then go for it.

Personally I'd be going for the Novatech upgrade to i7 and windows 7.

I'm not sure as I've never changed a license from one system to the other. I'd ring Microsoft Support to see what your options are. I'm sure it's just deactivating the license for that machine and then when you install it on the other computer the license should be active for you - as long as you have proof of purchase.

If you're going up to £20 more now do you think your budget can stretch to £625? If it there might be better options out there - let us know :)

Please note though that a faster drive will only increase boot time, and save and loading of the game, it won't really affect the performance or speed within the game during normal game play - well at least noticeable.

Thanks for the explanation 'welshace'. Having second thoughts, do you think the Novatech or the Lenovo mentioned above would be a better choice than the Aspire? Also have you had any experience of, or thoughts about Xplorerx6 machines currently available at cyberpowersystem.co.uk?

ps I've always used quotation marks when someone uses a nickname, or in this case a handle(as some call it), instead of their given name. No doubts mate, just pleased to engage on here instead of trying to trust a salesman to sell me what I need.

Some very informative posts here...just a few questions about the machine below...is the ram/processor combo optimal...is the 675 graphics card much different than the 660. Also windows 8 vs windows 7...what is best? thanks for any feedback.

Included in your system:

PROCESSOR

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

edit

OPERATING SYSTEM

English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

edit

GRAPHICS CARD

2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M

edit

MEMORY

16384MB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

edit

HARD DRIVE

750GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD

edit

LCD

17.3" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

edit

COLOUR CHOICE

Alienware M17x Stealth Black

edit

OPTICAL DRIVE

DVD+/-RW (Read/Write)

edit

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY

Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO with Bluetooth 4.0

edit

PRIMARY BATTERY

Primary 9 cell Li-Ion Default Base Battery

edit

OFFICE SOFTWARE

English Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010 ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint, One Note)

edit

SECURITY SOFTWARE

Anti Virus Not Included

edit

SERVICES AND SUPPORT

1 yr Next Day In-Home Hardware Support

edit

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTION

No Accidental Damage Protection

edit

Accessories

ALIENFX COLOUR

Astral Aqua

edit

Alien Cyborg

edit

OS CUSTOMIZATION

Alien Cyborg Wallpaper

edit

MICE

Logitech® M505 Wireless Mouse

edit

PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE

Steam® Factory Installed and Steam Extra Content

edit

SOUND SOFTWARE

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software

edit

Also included with your system

Base

Alienware M17x Base

Keyboard

Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard

Cables

UK 220V Power Cord

Documentation/Disks

Southern Europe Documentation (EN, SPA, POL, GRE)

Bundle

N11W7M01

Placemat

Placemats (Eng, Gre, Pol, Ara, Rus)

Order Information

Alienware M17x Order

Camera

Integrated Skype HD Certified FullHD Camera with dual digital microphones

Additional Software

Alienware M17x Resource DVD

Power Supply

180W AC Adaptor

CPU, RAM and everything is perfect .. 16 GB ram is excessive of course, for instance, the game can only use a quarter of that. Graphics card is great..

And Windows 7 all the way.. windows 8 isn't there yet, it's just not anywhere near the standard of Windows 7 for the average user.

As stated above, looking at maybe getting this

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_530U3C_1217859.html

However, heard mixed reviews on it's perfomance and undecided whether to take the plunge

Can anyone find another 13'3 with better specs for £750 or under?

Cheers

As I stated, I have this actual ultrabook. I also read some mixed feedback so I was a bit undecided - but then PC World were having a ridiculous sale and I snapped it up for £450 on Windows 7 with a free upgrade to Windows 8. So I went for it. No regrets at all for general use and I'd be saying the same if I'd paid £600. Light, portable and a fantastic looking ultrabook.

I've now got the full FM2013 on this machine. I don't know if this is relevant to you as each person plays the game differently, but I play about 4-5 leagues and I don't use 3D engine and it is plenty quick enough as the chap suggested it would be.

Hope this helps.

Hi 'welshace', can I just run this last model by you and get your thoughts?

ACER V3-771G

i5-320M 2.50GHZ (it says it has Hyper Threading?)

6GB memory

500GB Hard Drive

17.3" Display 1600x900 Resolution

Nvidia GT630M GRaphics

Blue Ray Optical Drive

Windows 7

Weight 3.2kg

It's on offer at £479.99 in Costco. Sounds a good deal, and I presume I can add an extra 2GB memory after the event. Am I right in thinking this will be ok for my Grandson? Thanks in advance.

ps No thoughts about the XplorerX6....

Thanks Eugene, cudda saved me some money as i went to PC repair today and they saying investigate and change heat seal? i think he said would be between 45 - 60 quid with no guarentee it would solve the heat issue, so will try one before i give up the game on laptop as the heat issue could cause damage to cpu and gpu ?

Hi 'welshace', can I just run this last model by you and get your thoughts?

ACER V3-771G

i5-320M 2.50GHZ (it says it has Hyper Threading?)

6GB memory

500GB Hard Drive

17.3" Display 1600x900 Resolution

Nvidia GT630M GRaphics

Blue Ray Optical Drive

Windows 7

Weight 3.2kg

It's on offer at £479.99 in Costco. Sounds a good deal, and I presume I can add an extra 2GB memory after the event. Am I right in thinking this will be ok for my Grandson? Thanks in advance.

ps No thoughts about the XplorerX6....

The i5-320 m Is a first generation processor - it's a fair bit old at this stage.

Any of these would be better :) Unless 17 inch is a must???

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Products/cat/Laptops/refine/max~500$46562~144410$46567~59712$46563~67690

If you can find the cash I think this would be great

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G780_1234976.html

Hi saw this computer on ebay? looking for a bit of advice with it.

AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz Six Core Processor / CPU

8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

AMD / ATi HD 3000 Integrated Graphics With 1GB Shared DDR3 Graphics Memory

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

22x DVD-RW Optical Disc Drive

MSI 760GM-P21-(FX) uATX Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)

500W Power Supply

X-BLACK Desktop PC Micro Gaming Case

FE 10/100 LAN

6 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports on Back Plus 2 On Front

8 Channel HD Audio

4 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports

1 X PCI Express X16 Slot

1 X PCI Express X1 Slot

1 X PCI Slot

2 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)

1 X VGA Port (On Motherboard)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Six-Core-3-3Ghz-AMD-FX-6100-8GB-500GB-3000-Desktop-PC-Home-Office-Computer-/190745858842?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c6956d31a

How well will this play FM? I know the integrated graphics may cause n issue but not bothered using 2D for now. how many leagues can i use smoothly? also i already got Win7 for it so presuming the extra ram is not going to waste.

Thanks

Sorry to be a pain in the arse. but could somebody help me with this? Really not sure if getting blinded by the numbers. Six core better then Quad? etc.

I am on a tight budget though. Is there anything better for a similar price either.

It's not the best .. Don't read too much into the cores.

The game only uses 3-4 gb ram at most anyway but either way you'll need windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of all the ram for anything not the 32bit version.

Personally, I'd just save up some more money.. as it's no good buying anything for that price imo.

Saving up is a bit tricky. Im self employed and also a carer, so supporting two people on pretty much 1 wage. So like to keep some money for a rainy day.

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 5.8

Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Gaming graphics 319 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 72GB Free (186GB Total)

These are my computer specs atm, (a RAM stick ended up being faulty so i did once have 2GB). Better off upgrading my current system? Problems are i got DDR2 and only two slots (1 obviously used).

Genesis IV: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED 16:9 Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

What's the opinion on this? Under £650 (with no OS)

Archived