New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

God no.. stay away, obviously second hand.... £200 for that would be a complete gamble in terms of components being worn out.

And that's without going into the fact it's pretty ancient ...

Save a bit more money and go for something better.

Or get it down to a £100.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't be able to run large FM saves on it but if you only want to play with half a dozen nations with modest sized database it will suit your needs.

As a general note (and I may kick myself if they disappear as I've not got round to buying it yet) saveonlaptops have the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 upgrated to 16GB of RAM for only £30 more. If anyone is thinking of getting it.

Hi all,

Sorry if it's been asked before but I assume there is no easy way of bench-marking FM? For example I run it on my laptop, but I'm building a 'gaming' pc - which I will 'Steam stream' to stream games to my laptop from as my laptop doesn't have a proper GPU. Anyway I want to know if the desktop will run the game better than the laptop - what benchmark tools would give me an idea?

I mean I could just install the game and manually time some things to compare, but I wondered if there was a tool I could use?

Hi all,

Sorry if it's been asked before but I assume there is no easy way of bench-marking FM? For example I run it on my laptop, but I'm building a 'gaming' pc - which I will 'Steam stream' to stream games to my laptop from as my laptop doesn't have a proper GPU. Anyway I want to know if the desktop will run the game better than the laptop - what benchmark tools would give me an idea?

I mean I could just install the game and manually time some things to compare, but I wondered if there was a tool I could use?

Why not just build a Gaming Laptop and play on that?

There are no benchmarks that will give you a definitive results however it's unlikely that a laptop & in particular your laptop will outperform a full gaming rig, opting for gaming laptop is a fair shout although their bulk & heat management do not make for a comfortable experience plus the extra cost over a PC tower makes streaming to a smaller form laptop a perfectly viable option.

Smurf - because it's 10x the cost. It's for XCOM 2 and a laptop to run that is £800+. I have an ok desktop knocking around, which with a used GPU for £60 will run XCOm 2 better than the £800 laptop. I like my laptop to be 13.3" at the biggest and light so makes it even more costly.

I'll stick FM on the PC and see how it runs vs the laptop, both are i7's with 6-8gb RAM.

Thanks for the reply Barside.

Smurf - because it's 10x the cost. It's for XCOM 2 and a laptop to run that is £800+. I have an ok desktop knocking around, which with a used GPU for £60 will run XCOm 2 better than the £800 laptop. I like my laptop to be 13.3" at the biggest and light so makes it even more costly.

I'll stick FM on the PC and see how it runs vs the laptop, both are i7's with 6-8gb RAM.

Thanks for the reply Barside.

So when you said that you were building your gaming PC you didn't really mean that at all.

Thanks for all the facts.

Smurf, calm down please... and as far as I can tell, he's not said anywhere he wanted to build a gaming laptop.
Hi all,

Firstly, not sure how you gathered that I wasn't calm?

Secondly, he clearly stated he was building a 'gaming' PC. -Which is why I asked why not build a gaming laptop instead.

All I said was thanks for all the facts, now that I know what they are doing it seems like a good way forward.

As a general note (and I may kick myself if they disappear as I've not got round to buying it yet) saveonlaptops have the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 upgrated to 16GB of RAM for only £30 more. If anyone is thinking of getting it.

Hi Peljam, any chance you could post the link as I can't find it?

hi people

I'm looking to buy a laptop with windows 98 so i can play some of the old champ mans, i know i can play it on newer machines but it's far to much messing about, could anyone recommend me anything?

Hi there!

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop, so I can play FM 16 on the move. I've picked two I like the look of but I just want to know if I could get 3D graphics (at least at low end) and if the game would run 3/4 nations and around 12 leagues on a large database.

The links are:

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5035245.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5078460.htm

Thanks in advance

no particular reason, it was just the shop I was looking in, I found them at a reasonable price. I thought the Speed was sufficient and the RAM was alright. I'm just concerned as to whether the graphics card would hinder the game too much.

i imagine the a8-7410 will run fm graphics on low with the integrated apu ...

But frankly, for that sort of money, I'd be wanting more from a laptop...

For instance, in the same sort of price range, if you wanted to stick with AMD.. you could go for something much better elsewhere:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/toshiba-satellite-p50d-c-15.6-quad-core-laptop-amd-a10-8700p-12gb-ram-1tb-pspuae-00200jen/version.asp

I'd also consider maybe saving for a little bit longer and stretching your budget to £400 - £500 .. I see it as a goldie locks budget really, where it's still relatively cheap but the ramp up in spec and performance makes it more than worth it.

Hi can someone please tell me if this would run FM smoothly.. or will it cause me problems?

Not a full computer spec sorry, but from what i have given does anyone have an idea if i will have problems?

Dell Lattitude E6410 14"

Intel Core i5 2.40 GHz

250GB HDD

4GB RAM

Thanks

Does anyone know how the macbook 12" runs FM16? Or if anyone has the 2015-model - how's that working? I have ordered the 2nd gen, but since it's a turbo boost CPU, I don't know how it will play.

1,3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M7, turbo boost to 3,1 GHz

Intel HD Graphics 515

8 GB RAM

That will do the trick, it will be slow of you attempt to run too many leagues but an average game that has the major leagues running will be fine, 3D graphic settings will probably be limited to lower settings but it will run.be
Does anyone know how the macbook 12" runs FM16? Or if anyone has the 2015-model - how's that working? I have ordered the 2nd gen, but since it's a turbo boost CPU, I don't know how it will play.

1,3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M7, turbo boost to 3,1 GHz

Intel HD Graphics 515

8 GB RAM

It's not designed with any gaming in mind so will struggle, MacBook Pro's have issues running games & this will only be amplified when using a small form factor MacBook.

That will do the trick, it will be slow of you attempt to run too many leagues but an average game that has the major leagues running will be fine, 3D graphic settings will probably be limited to lower settings but it will run.be

Thanks for replying, I am not wanting many leagues loaded. Just one last question.

http://www.ebuyer.com/724984-hp-250-g4-laptop-n1a92ea-abu

Would this one be a better choice or not?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice, I have to buy my laptop from Argos (due to having credit on my card) and was wondering if anyone has seen a laptop that would play the game at the highest level possible for my price range, I haven't played since fm 12 and used to use a pc for it back then, I hoped to play against a friend online and am not sure if this would be important in the specs required.. My price range is from 350-500 pounds and would be extremely grateful for any advice given

Thank you so much for taking the time to look, all of the I5 laptops that are anyway suitable in Argos seem to be mysteriously out of stock... I saw an i7 in laptopsonline for £579 and am now debating if this is the better way of buying

This the one I looked at http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-grade-a1-acer-v3-574-laptop-black-a1-nx.g1kek.028/version.asp#gbp I really don't know an awful lot about laptops etc and also dunno if I'm spending more than is necessary as I just wanna play it online with a friend and obviously with as good graphics as I can afford

If you are going to go refurbished... go for something like this:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-grade-a1-hp-pavilion-15-ak085na-core-i7-6700hq-8gb-2tb-windows-a1-k3d61ea/version.asp

The one you picked doesn't have a particularly powerful cpu, no graphics and has 16gb ram, which isn't needed...

The on linked above is a better fit and cheaper imo..

But I'd always go new tbh with a budget like yours..

No, it's not suitable for gaming at all tbh, you might be able to play an FMT game or even a barebones FM game, but it's really not worth considering if FM is your goal.

Thanks for the quick reply. Would you say it needs more processing? Or RAM?

FM is the only game I tend to play and I don't go for massive games anymore with many leagues.

Professionally refurbished laptops are fine on a strict budget.. you just need to be aware that they are used and components may become faulty much quicker than they might in a brand new laptop.

But yes, on a budget, they are worth considering... I got my daughter a refurb a few years ago, still going strong now with no issue.

http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/fm2016/introduction/system-requirements

The System Requirements necessary to run Football Manager™ 2016 are as follows:

[TABLE=align: center]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD] Processor

[/TD]

[TD] Graphics

[/TD]

[TD] Memory

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10

[/TD]

[TD] Intel Pentium 4

Intel Core

AMD Athlon

2.2GHz+

[/TD]

[TD] NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Intel GMA X3100

256MB VRAM

Direct X 9.0c compliant

[/TD]

[TD] 2GB RAM

3GB HDD

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11

[/TD]

[TD] Intel Core

1.8GHz+

[/TD]

[TD] NVidia GeForce 7300 GT

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro

Intel GMA X3100

256MB VRAM

OpenGL 2.0 compliant

[/TD]

[TD] 2GB RAM

3GB HDD

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Linux

[/TD]

[TD] Intel Pentium 4

Intel Core

AMD Athlon

1.8GHz+

[/TD]

[TD] NVidia GeForce 7300 GT

AMD Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Intel HD 3000/4000

256MB VRAM

OpenGL 2.0 compliant

[/TD]

[TD] 2GB RAM

3GB HDD

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Hi. I need an upgrade to my configuration (old Athlon x3, 8gb ram). My FM experience consists of 20+ nations, 50+ leagues, 120k players loaded when starting a long term save. Since FM doesn't benefit from adding any more RAM sticks, I guess I should replace my MB and CPU. My question is, which Intel CPU would be enough to run a setup like this without problems for a few seasons, 5-6, until I start removing leagues? Not looking for a strongest i7, though, as it is to expensive. :D

Archived