New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

No - the 2gb graphics card are a sales ploy - unless you're doing 3D modelling/animation and heavy video editing (which video editing software rarely addresses the graphics card anyway) - 1gb graphics card is plenty for anyone.

It's not so much the amount of GB on the graphics card - they come in different models, and some are low end, mid range and high end.

FM can function perfectly well with a mid range card, and obviously a higher end card would give better graphics.

Quad core will allow more processes to happen on your computer - again it relies on the speed of the processor, and the model etc.

I only recommend better computers if I can find them for the same price and I only post links to what I believe is a superior computer to what an OP asks about.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both laptops I pointed to are in your price range, and they both have similar performing processors.

Just to note i3 is not a quad core processor but it's a very good processor. The AMD model in the link above is quad core and was top of the range processor at that price in March 2013.

Is there any wriggle room in your budget?

Ah work commitments come and go - you could find your evenings pleasantly free or a weekend or two, down the line.

I always suggest getting the best that you can afford, even stretching over your budget as this will mean your computer will have more longevity and future proof.

My next buy is in 2018 and I'm saving already :)

2018 would be a 6 year wait for me. Although I should wait to 2020 but I can make the future wife believe in my project for a new computer.

I'll decommission the oldest laptop and donate it to a school or something - if they'll have it. It's a fine computer, nothing wrong with it, and it has a remote control, very retro.

At the moment the oldest laptop is hooked up to a tv for watching netflix - probably should invest in something like chromecast or similar and rid the computer altogether, but alas the TV it's hooked up to has no HDMI so that means a new tv. Which gives me an opportunity to buy a Smart TV - hopefully with wifi and netflix built into it or something? Or might just go with a Large Monitor and play through that.

But that's all in 2018.

Currently ive been using a desktop, it's got a HP with an Intel Celeron(sp?) processor, 2.2ghz I think? 3gb Ram and integrated graphics, from the links Eugene posted they look a big step up.

And I guess a laptop would increase available game time for me, I suppose I could add another £100 for a decent increase if possible?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59395010-Lenovo-Z510_1536137.html

Good processor

Good amount of RAM

Good Graphics Card

Should suit you well.

However, if you go with the other suggestion from earlier, then keep that £100 and put it to one side. Add £10 to it each week and in 2 years time you'll have enough for a much much better computer.

Honestly, that's how I do it :)

Sacrifice buying lunches, cycle to work, cut out sweet sweet beer - and then after a few months I have enough money to buy what I need :)

Looking for a new laptop around Christmas time, don't really want to spend too much and only use it gaming wise for FM so it doesn't need to be anything amazing, just something that can run it at a good speed and not force me to have to cope with half a star game speed with only a few leagues! Ideally wouldn't want to spend more than £350 or so but it depends, been told this runs FM great http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-5748-laptop/pd from someone who just bought it so was looking at that but yeah, haven't had a new laptop in a few years so not a clue what the best options around are at the minute, anybody able to tell me what that's like or point me in the right direction for a new one?

Saw this one aswell which looked alright at first glance but again, not really sure. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-v5-573-15-6-laptop-21836929-pdt.html

Cheers!

Like many of you, the desire to play FM15 has lead me to the purchase of a laptop, which is basically used for FM.. music and a bit of web browsing. Would like to see 3d in good detail. Thoughts on this laptop..

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/F5B57EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-n229sa_1664840.html#DetailTop

Check out the post above where I have 2 links in there.

Looking for a new laptop around Christmas time, don't really want to spend too much and only use it gaming wise for FM so it doesn't need to be anything amazing, just something that can run it at a good speed and not force me to have to cope with half a star game speed with only a few leagues! Ideally wouldn't want to spend more than £350 or so but it depends, been told this runs FM great http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-5748-laptop/pd from someone who just bought it so was looking at that but yeah, haven't had a new laptop in a few years so not a clue what the best options around are at the minute, anybody able to tell me what that's like or point me in the right direction for a new one?

Saw this one aswell which looked alright at first glance but again, not really sure. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-v5-573-15-6-laptop-21836929-pdt.html

Cheers!

Stay away from the "u" processors - go for M or MQ or HQ never U

Cheers, I'll bare that in mind. Although I'm a bit slow this this, do you mean just for intel or in general, as I haven't a clue the difference. :lol:

What'd you say about this one? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-g092sa-15-6-laptop-black-10011511-pdt.html#cat-0

I have that PC now(or very similar) and I'm about to sell it because it doesnt perform well at all.

Dont get me wrong it plays FM, but it annoys me how long it takes to boot, load FM and quite often just takes an age to perform a simple task like load skype. Plus it often crashes when shutting down then I have to wait a good 3-4 minutes before I can close the lid as its still doing something. When I reboot I get an error message saying the PC ran into some problems.

The computer isnt very old at all and has had very little use as I use the desktop most always.

Can anyone suggest a better laptop for FM than this at the same price, or even under £400. I was thinking of getting that, it's got a solid CPU, 8gb is easily enough for FM and dedicated graphics always helps too

http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-satellite-l50d-156-laptop-amd-a8-8gb-ram-1tb-purple/647-0119.prd

EDIT: Just found this with near enough identical specs: http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=K1S57EA&opt=ABU&sel=PCNB&jumpID=ps_xeuz482n9f/sf:_sku:K1S57EA&k_clickid=EMEA%7C6154f704-d007-8d49-4a8a-000015d3a1d0&kpid=K1S57EA&kpid=K1S57EA#ABU&gclid=CjwKEAiAv7ajBRCIldS7rp7wzFkSJAAA1n4DBYL1DzwuSMVxAS0KVyunh1_8WuP_2MDgsqiKzuDbVhoCK4vw_wcB

Again however if anyone could suggest a better laptop for around the same price I'd be massively grateful.

That Z510 looks good Eugene, I stumbled across this too, for the extra £40 it sounds like the it would be a big increase for the money?

Would that be right?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59405975-Lenovo-Z510_1536146.html

Look at what you've made me do lol

It's decent - the processor is 2.2ghz although can perform at 3.0ghz - which is better. But Football Manager is very intense on the processor, and it tends to make the processor hot, which means it will try cool down the processor in 2 ways, speeding up the fan and also forcing the processor into a lower gear - meaning it won't perform to it's fastest speed if it's hot.

If you do go for this one then I suggest buying a Laptop Cooler which sits under the laptop and acts as an additional fan.

Just make sure you get one where the fan is under where the processor is - you can look up the specs of the computer and where the processor is located and then research some coolers so you get the best out of it.

Just seen that they are only at the price for another couple of weeks, so I think it's to soon for me, with another 25% on top of what I was originally wanting to spend, will probably settle for the g505 i3, and look into a cooler to keep it working to it's best..

Cheers for all the advice Eugene

Hi guys, quick question. On another thread a lot of people were discussing the importance of having a solid state drive to the running of FM and general long term laptop use. Is this the case? A lot of the specs I've been looking at don't have this included. It looks like it might be something to add separately. Is this easy enough to have done?

It's an option on a lot of computers nowadays. You just pay a tiny bit extra.

You can of course do it yourself on another computer, it's pretty simple on a laptop, locate the hard drive from the schematics of your laptop easily found online.

Open up the panel on the back of the computer. And detach the hard drive.

Insert the SSD and plug it in.

All these instructions and videos are online mostly.

As for SSD being necessary for FM - it's not really true.

As explained to you already on another thread - a SSD will only improve boot times, and only improve loading and saving the game. Particularly notable on journeyman saves where file sizes are quite large. On a HDD it usually saves around 1.5mb per second, on a SSD it might be able to do it at 5mb per seconds or more.

Now there are some HDDs that run at 4,200 RPM (revolutions per minute), some run at 7,400 RPM and some run at 10,800 RPM (sorry if those figures are not precise it's off the top of my head and I couldn't be arsed looking them up).

This simply means that some are slower and some are faster.

All explained on the internet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

So a faster HDD would obviously increase the Boot Time and the Loadng and Saving of any files, and FM files can be quite big so a faster hard drive would save and load those games faster.

A HDD has moving parts - as you'll know now by reading the link I posted.

An SSD has no moving parts, it's an Solid State Disk - it's solid and has no Drive, a drive being a motor, an SSD has no such thing that you can find in HDD.

You can read all about how they work here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

As for speeding up FM - that's a faux pas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faux_pas

FM is a processor hungry game - it processes data to a huge degree, so the faster the processor you buy the fast the game progresses.

A good processor is going to help the day to day operations within the game. The faster the game loads and saves will also improve your experience.

It's not the end of the world if you don't have a SSD - FM will work perfectly well as long as you have a great processor. If you can wait the extra 10 seconds to save a file - then an SSD is not for you.

Although you can get a greater experience with an SSD and you'll probably love it. I remember when my computer only took 5 minutes to startup, I thought I was the bees knees! Now I have to wait a whole 30 seconds, it's annoying having to wait that long!!!!

Grrrr

Many thanks for that ET - your advice lately is coming in very much appreciated and I'm slowly starting to narrow down my options!

These are the ones I've got in my sights:

http://www.johnlewis.com/store/lenovo-z50-70-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-1tb-8gb-sshd-15-6-/p1603672#tabinfo-ratings

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59405975-Lenovo-Z510_1536146.html

The first one processes (if that is the right term) at 2.0GHz and the second one goes a bit faster at 2.2GHz - would there be much difference between the two? I've read earlier in this forum that U processors should be avoided like the plague. Personally my FM use is never that intense. I maybe load 3/4 leagues max - my thing is always longevity in the save - 12 seasons plus. The faster processor seems aimed more so at series gamers. I'm just an FM man.

The laptop I have in mind has a Intel Core i7-451

I don't know how many times I can say this - stay away from processors with a "u" after the number. Like i7 4510u

If you're going to buy the one on save on laptops beware that it's 2.2ghz and can go up to 3.2ghz - you will need a laptop cooler for this computer.

If it was 3.0ghz up to 3.2ghz you would not need a laptop cooler.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59405975-Lenovo-Z510_1536146.html + laptop cooler

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Q2756N-V2-CF1-Gigabyte-Q2756N-V2-CF1_1660277.html + laptop cooler

There's a massive price difference in the two - but both perform equally well.

Glad i found this thread some great advice in here. Currently putting money by just now for a new laptop the PC i've got right now is total trash and can barely keep itself turned on never mind play FM. I've been without FM for over a year because of this POS lol Wondering if there will be any good deals on Black Friday do ya think? i know that it's mostly an American thing but the UK is catching onto it a little. Got £500 or so put by for one just now so if i see a good enough deal i'll pull the trigger.

Cheers ET - is there much difference between 4th and 3rd generation processes?

There's a difference in that the newer generation has slightly better speed, better power efficiency, and improvements in the integrated GPU.

Glad i found this thread some great advice in here. Currently putting money by just now for a new laptop the PC i've got right now is total trash and can barely keep itself turned on never mind play FM. I've been without FM for over a year because of this POS lol Wondering if there will be any good deals on Black Friday do ya think? i know that it's mostly an American thing but the UK is catching onto it a little. Got £500 or so put by for one just now so if i see a good enough deal i'll pull the trigger.

You probably will get a deal on Black Friday.

Let us know what computer you're looking at getting.

FM is cross-platform compatible, you can play on a Mac and then transfer your save to a PC, the same Steam Login will allow you play on either a Mac or a PC also. There is no difference.

MacBooks are good, but I find them overpriced. Nothing wrong with them. I genuinely feel that you can get a much better computer for FM if you spend the money you were going to spend on Mac and get a custom built laptop for the same price - but the custom built computer for that price would be much better.

In general, Macbooks are good for FM.

I'm looking for a laptop to obviously play FM2015 to a decent level so I can play with a large database. I also wouldn't mind if it can handle games like The Golf Club. I'm thinking of going to pc world on black Friday to see what deals they have. What are the things I should be looking for?

I don't know the game "The Golf Club".

But for FM it has to have a fast processor.

At least 8gb RAM

If you're into 3D it needs a good graphics card.

As I've always said any processor number like i3xxxxu or i5xxxxu or i7xxxxu you should stay away from for FM.

Go for processors that have M MQ HQ etc. just not U

i3, i5 and i7 are processor models, i3 being the worst and i7 being the best.

You'll see them modeled as i34xxmq and i72xxu

i3 4xxxmq might be better than the i7 2xxu

Where 4 stands for 4th gen and 2 stands for 2nd gen where the 2nd gen is using a u model processor

In short - bring someone who knows what they're talking about.

Or post your budget and maybe there's a deal online that suits your budget?

I don't know the game "The Golf Club".

Blasphemy!!

:D

It is a very good golf game, I have some 80 hours played on it, even if you are not that much of a fan of playing golf, some people get a kick out of designing their own golf courses and sharing them in the game for others to play.

The game is also on Steam.

Im building my own PC with the help of a friend, for FM and just because I need a new one, ive been stuck with my ancient desktop that I bought 8 years ago! and my laptop that has a rubbish t4300 processor, so playing FM has been hell. Im just wondering would i7-4790k on a z97 be overkill? Also would gt720 1GB be good enough for 3d? Im not gonna build it for gaming so I dont need a good GPU but I would want to run a lot of leagues on FM and run it without hiccups, for the next few years or so.

OOPS just noticed this is a laptop thread, not desktop, but if someone can still help me, that would be great.

Would the HP Stream 11-D008TU be able to run FM?

Here are the specs:

Categories Laptops

Brand HP

Processor Brand Intel

Processor Type Celeron Dual Core

Processor Model N2840

Processor Speed (GHz) 2.16

Processor Max Speed (GHz) 2.58

Installed RAM 2GB

Cache Memory Size (M) 1

Hard Drive Size 32GB

Hard Drive Type SSD

Screen Size (inches) 11.6

Graphics Card Brand Intel

Graphics Card Type Onboard (Integrated)

Graphics Card Memory Type Shared

Wireless Networking IEEE 802.11n 2.4Ghz

Operating System Windows 8.1

Any help would be very appreciated.

Here is a link if you need further info: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/hp-stream-11-d008tu-laptop-blue.html

EDIT: Sorry for making the new thread, couldn't find this one. Cheers for moving.

Eugene or anyone else can you help me please, is there anywhere that do laptops on credit and you get a decent laptop, went into Curry's yesterday and seen a decent laptop with 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive etc, can get it for 17 quid a month, the laptop is priced at 400 quid, just wondering if anyone has any better ideas of what to do as I aint got the money up front to buy it.

went with the lenovo z510

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59405975-Lenovo-Z510_1536146.html#DetailTop

its went up by about £40, since monday!

hi folks,

forgive my ignorance on such things but seeing as I have a lovely new shiny laptop, which will mostly be used for FM15, net surfing and the occasional film. is it worth getting an ssd drive to put fm15 on it? or do I not need it as seeing the only game I would play on it is fm 15 (and maybe 12).

Eugene or anyone else can you help me please, is there anywhere that do laptops on credit and you get a decent laptop, went into Curry's yesterday and seen a decent laptop with 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive etc, can get it for 17 quid a month, the laptop is priced at 400 quid, just wondering if anyone has any better ideas of what to do as I aint got the money up front to buy it.

Littlewoods do

On this laptop your payment options would be

http://www.littlewoods.com/acer-vn7-591g-intelreg-coretrade-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-8gb-solid-state-drive-wi-fi-156-inch-with-2gb-dedicated-graphics-laptop-black/1438673780.prd

With a Littlewoods Account you can spread the cost to suit you. Select from the following payment options at checkout.

£9.26 per week - over 156 weeks (39.9% APR). Total £1445.11

£12.02 per week - over 104 weeks (39.9% APR). Total £1250.46

£17.29 per week - over 52 weeks Interest free (0.0% APR)

£44.95 per week - over 20 weeks Interest free (0.0% APR)

It's an excellent laptop and £10 a week is nothing over 3 years would be perfect - I'd estimate this laptop would last you about 6 years.

Giving you plenty of time to save for your laptop for FM 2020 :cool:

hi folks,

forgive my ignorance on such things but seeing as I have a lovely new shiny laptop, which will mostly be used for FM15, net surfing and the occasional film. is it worth getting an ssd drive to put fm15 on it? or do I not need it as seeing the only game I would play on it is fm 15 (and maybe 12).

SSD will improve load and save times of your game.

If your operating system is on the SSD then you experience faster boot times (turning the computer on or rebooting).

Archived