Jump to content

The Unofficially Official Training and Mentoring Guide


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ush said:

Yeah - I can do it individually - but what if I just want to double up the whole squad?

The 'rest' tab on the training screen allows you to set the intensity for players in condition bands. I set all players to automatic, and the two bands to the far right (I think it's players with >80%) I always set to double intensity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/10/2020 at 14:51, brookie1402 said:

The 'rest' tab on the training screen allows you to set the intensity for players in condition bands. I set all players to automatic, and the two bands to the far right (I think it's players with >80%) I always set to double intensity.

This is what I do, set all players to automatic and manage it in the % range. I also do the double intensity for the two most rested bands, but I always reduce this to normal in the winter period of the schedule when there's almost always 2 games a week. I'll put it back in mid Feb, early March.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be one for the SI staff and I am still on FM19 if it makes a difference but...

I'm building out a network of foreign affiliates to hopefully have their youngsters come through in my youth intakes. Obviously I looked for affiliates in the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc. first. But I'm wondering, what factors are important for this?

  • My facilities?
  • The affiliate's facilities (Youth Facilities, Youth Recruitment, Junior Coaching)?
  • Just the youth rating of the affiliate's nation?
  • Or perhaps even the affiliate's HoYD has an effect?

Given I have never had a high potential youngster actually come from one of my affiliates I'd be interested to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 06:13, Guest said:

1. Personality 
2. Man Management
3. Level of Displine
4. Determination
5. Motivating
6. Attacking, Defending, Mental, Technical, Tactical
7. Working with Youngsters

Avoid personalities like: Casual, Easily discouraged, Fickle, Low determination, Low self belief, Mercenary, Slack, Spineless, Temperamental, Unambitious, Unsporting.

====

 

I've seen guides before on how to improve these negative personalities. I can't find it though. I'm specifically looking at addressing unsporting, fickle and mercenary.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am late to the party, as I just let my assistant do the Trainings previously and just added some match preps here or there. This year I am trying to design my own trainings. 

What I am not certain about is the ratio beaten general training (the schedules and the individual training). In previous version there was a percentage depending on the intensity basically and if you had match preparation. 

I saw that some trainings allow for players to work on their role training. Do you need to set up these specific units in order for them to train the role/individually or will they use the "rest" units to work on it? In a way it makes sense that you have to schedule for individual training but on the other hand if you don't fill out the whole calendar with general training, there is time for the players to work on their own stuff. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure what you mean by "using the rest" units. The rest units are simply "rest" sessions where players do no training. If you want a player to develop in a specific way you can choose to assign him a specific role which also gets worked on during the course of the week.  If you give him a special focus to improve aspects of his play, that is extra training that goes above and beyond his normal training and increases the intensity of his training. 


Training hasn't changed very much between FM19-FM21 apart from how the mentoring UI has changed. At least thats my understanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thank you. So basically, the general training schedule is separate from a player's role and specific focus training. With the "rest" units I meant that if you have only 2 of the 3 sessions a day, 1 session is set for "rest" in the training calendar. 

Since I saw some training units specifically mentioning role training, I was not sure if I had to put those in for the players to train their roles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 10:22, 04texag said:

I've seen guides before on how to improve these negative personalities. I can't find it though. I'm specifically looking at addressing unsporting, fickle and mercenary.

 

I would still love to see some information on this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 17:22, 04texag said:

I've seen guides before on how to improve these negative personalities. I can't find it though. I'm specifically looking at addressing unsporting, fickle and mercenary.

You might find this useful:

You can improve negative Personalities with having enough influential players with positive ones. Their Personalities will rub off on players naturally, but you can also target them a bit more specifically with Mentoring. There's no rule like "Personality A mentored by Personality B = Personality C", but you should be able to see positive shifts, especially in younger players. You have to Mentor them before they get too influential though.

Welcoming periods also serve as mini-Mentoring sessions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

You might find this useful:

You can improve negative Personalities with having enough influential players with positive ones. Their Personalities will rub off on players naturally, but you can also target them a bit more specifically with Mentoring. There's no rule like "Personality A mentored by Personality B = Personality C", but you should be able to see positive shifts, especially in younger players. You have to Mentor them before they get too influential though.

Welcoming periods also serve as mini-Mentoring sessions.

It's a shame I never got to see that project to it's conclusion in FM20.

Things have definitely changed in FM21 though. Whereas before all of the hidden attributes and determination were affected at once each time a player was influenced by the squad personality or mentoring group, in FM21 it seems that only some of those attributes are affected each time, so it will be much harder to game the system to create squads full of model citizens like last year. You'll still get improvements in personality, it will just be more random and difficult to predict.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

You can use mentoring to affect their personalities. Its explained in the guide

I know you can, I'm asking what specific mentalities to pair with a fickle player for example. If you put a professional or too high on the scale player with someone lower they don't get along. My understanding is you have to kind of work their way up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 04texag said:

I know you can, I'm asking what specific mentalities to pair with a fickle player for example. If you put a professional or too high on the scale player with someone lower they don't get along. My understanding is you have to kind of work their way up.

The whole 'getting along' thing doesn't exist any more since the change from tutoring to mentoring. Any player can mentor any other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, That There Phil said:

The whole 'getting along' thing doesn't exist any more since the change from tutoring to mentoring. Any player can mentor any other.

I still thought you had to pair them up with people at least close to similar determination and personality. Like, you can't mentor an unambitious player with a model citizen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 04texag said:

I still thought you had to pair them up with people at least close to similar determination and personality. Like, you can't mentor an unambitious player with a model citizen.

 

I'm 99% sure that isn't the case. I had improvements all the way through FM20 from tutoring all kinds of player personalities with model citizens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2020 at 05:31, That There Phil said:

I'm 99% sure that isn't the case. I had improvements all the way through FM20 from tutoring all kinds of player personalities with model citizens.

Yeah you the one who turned an entire squad into model citizens, I remember that :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2020 at 20:01, tyro said:

Ok, thank you. So basically, the general training schedule is separate from a player's role and specific focus training. With the "rest" units I meant that if you have only 2 of the 3 sessions a day, 1 session is set for "rest" in the training calendar. 

Since I saw some training units specifically mentioning role training, I was not sure if I had to put those in for the players to train their roles. 

I just wanted to update this as it seems incorrect according to foxinthebox' latest training video. 

Basically, you need to have a training card allowing players to train the individual roles for them to do so, otherwise they will not do it. If you have "rest" sessions the players will not do their individual training during those sessions. 

So, if you want to do specific role training, you need to check the training cards and select those that allow for individual training. 

This was not clear to me but now is and makes sense since those cards are available. I just didn't know if you basically didn't know what to do with the other training units and so they were training individual roles in certain sessions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tyro said:

I just wanted to update this as it seems incorrect according to foxinthebox' latest training video. 

Basically, you need to have a training card allowing players to train the individual roles for them to do so, otherwise they will not do it. If you have "rest" sessions the players will not do their individual training during those sessions. 

So, if you want to do specific role training, you need to check the training cards and select those that allow for individual training. 

This was not clear to me but now is and makes sense since those cards are available. I just didn't know if you basically didn't know what to do with the other training units and so they were training individual roles in certain sessions. 

That means that only will train the specific attributes for the role if the training specifically says individual roles, otherwise the player will keep training the other atributes.

Edited by Sharkn20
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentoring has a big change in FM2021. Now the most influential player in a group will also teach his playing positions to others. For example a Striker will mentor a young Winger into a natural Striker if given enough time together.

 

This change is good in some cases, and is bad in some others. We just need to take it into consideration when building mentoring groups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, longruoi1 said:

Mentoring has a big change in FM2021. Now the most influential player in a group will also teach his playing positions to others. For example a Striker will mentor a young Winger into a natural Striker if given enough time together.

 

This change is good in some cases, and is bad in some others. We just need to take it into consideration when building mentoring groups.

Where did you see information on this change? Just ask because it's the first I'm seeing it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 04texag said:

Where did you see information on this change? Just ask because it's the first I'm seeing it.

 

Just try it yourself mate. I couldn't find the info either but this interaction appeared in all of my saves so far.

Edited by longruoi1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I have a pair of model citizen players in my squad (GK & CB), I want them to mentor some U18s and other youngsters in the squad. AFAIK players under 18 should be training with the U18 to take profit of the U18 coaches but then I cannot add them to mentoring groups cause they have to train with the first team for that. And once they're over 18 they need playing time which generally means loan out which then unables the mentoring... So what is the ideal thing? Let them stay for a year playing for U23 while they're mentored and loan them out next year (19 years old)? or let them develop and them mentor them at age 21-23?

Also how effective (or not) is a GK or CB mentoring players who play in other positions?

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Rashidi changed the title to The Unofficially Official Training and Mentoring Guide

Do players need to be in same training units to be mentored? I saw some people saying yes, others saying no. Can a defender mentor strikers if he's influential enough?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shib0 said:

Do players need to be in same training units to be mentored? I saw some people saying yes, others saying no. Can a defender mentor strikers if he's influential enough?

No, but it helps. For example, in my FM19 Ajax save:

  • Daley Blind mentored pretty much every big deal from MC backwards: de Ligt, de Jong, van de Beek etc. and and the latter was training as an AMC (became natural) so whilst I didn't pay attention they definitely were in different units. van de Beek's personally actually became worse though.
  • Hakim Ziyech (Attacking) mentored Noussair Mazraoui (Defending) - I paired them as they favoured each other, had the same nationality, and played together on the right wing. It was successful, raising Mazraoui's Determination by 4 points over 2 years.

Like anything with the modern mentoring system there are no guarantees. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the best and laziest way to setup training schedules so that matches moved for TV stop messing up my schedules im trying to create?

 

I like to set each players position in training for the attributes, and I've watched some vods and think i have ok schedules now. I have made sure to have a rest session before and after games (recovery after too) so theres room for a travel spot.

Is there anything else i should do for th easiest and laziest schedules other than let assistant do it (which im trying not to do this year).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rashidi Thanks a lot for putting all of this together. I have a question (and sorry if it is already addressed somewhere but I haven't found it). It's about individual training. What I often get is that a player complains that a particular individual training is not bringing results. When this happen I usually go and check the progress for that players. If I see that he's making progress on the trained attribute, then I ignore his complains, if I see that there is no progress I tend to change. 

In any case I never know if I should stick to the individual training chosen or I should listen to the player. In both cases I don't know what the impact in the long term will be. I hate having to abandon an individual training that I think is important for the development of the player, but it seems that sometimes it just doesn't work and you have to accept that fact that you cannot improve that particular attribute for the player, no matter who important you think it is.

The question is: how to you behave in these cases? What's the long term effect of keeping on training an attribute for a player who doesn't feel that that's working?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those struggling with training I explain some misconceptions plus there is a new training video for FM21 which includes some training schedules that you can use, including a special one to rule them all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Could someone give insight is it better to mentor even when losing for example determination for several points? Having youngster with 16-18 det, is beneficial to make mentor group for them if there is bigger drop in determination as this seems to be having the biggest effect when players with different determination are put together.
How much could other mental atrb rise to be benefit losing determination.

Here for example:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2021 at 23:18, saihtam said:

Could someone give insight is it better to mentor even when losing for example determination for several points? Having youngster with 16-18 det, is beneficial to make mentor group for them if there is bigger drop in determination as this seems to be having the biggest effect when players with different determination are put together.
How much could other mental atrb rise to be benefit losing determination.

Here for example:

 

Determination is the only visible attribute that is affected, since it is part of a player's Personality. The other Personality attributes are hidden, though they are also affected by Mentoring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent read.

I have a question. This year im playing FMTouch 2021 on iOS. 

I have just started a new game and my manager rating is only half a star. I have managed to employ an assistant manager at 3.5 stars. Should I leave training to be managed by my assistant as im guessing he will be able to get the best out of my players?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I'm aware there are two areas where staff are given a star rating. One is for their reputation (in which case this does not impact your own ability to choose the right schedule), and the other is proficiency in delivering training sessions (how 'good' your training sessions are). Therefore I don't think your assistant manager having a higher star rating makes a difference in terms of choosing which sessions to do when on a calendar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it work if I have a mentoring group with different positions? For example, a model citizen central defender with a young right back? Or a resolute central midfielder with a young central defender?

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Does it work if I have a mentoring group with different positions? For example, a model citizen central defender with a young right back? Or a resolute central midfielder with a young central defender?

Thank you.

Group them by UNIT :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 horas atrás, Rashidi disse:

Group them by UNIT :-)

Could you be more specific please? Are you referring to attacking and defensive unit players? Group defensive with defensive players and attacking with attacking ones, even if they play in different positions?

Thanks!

Edited by mikcheck
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Could you be more specific please?

He wanted to say that you should train them within the same training unit. 

 

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Are you referring to attacking and defensive unit players? Group defensive with defensive players and attacking with attacking ones, even if they play in different positions?

Yes, that's what Rashidi meant :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you move players between units a lot? Is it worth it?

I always wonder. When you want a more generalist/versatile approach from the whole squad I find easier to create a schedule were I can set someone in a unit and they get everything I want covered by general training. But when I want some players to be more specialized I find like the only way to avoid them training things you don't want is moving the players that need to cover more areas back and forth between the units. But it feels like a chore. Not so much by the actual time it takes to change but for having to remember each week to adjust.

Will this mess up mentoring?

Also what about GK's? Should they mentor other GK's only?

In a past save I actually created a single big mentoring roup where I put all the leaders with good personality and the young player given there was quite a few. That was I was hoping the mentor's persoanlities didnt get diluted as much given I stacked several of them, and specially given many youngster were good in some areas already by how I picked them. It felt like the effect of mentoring was lessened more by the social group the youngster belonged to (and not knowing the language yet) than the unit. But maybe it was because the mentors were one in each unit (GK, Defend and Attack).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Question on training? If you set some of your players on individual training and the rest on playing position.

1. If you have a training session that focuses on individual roles, what do the guys set to playing position do.

2. And vice versa, training sessions that focus on all attributes and selected attributes, do players set on individual training still participate or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...