The Unofficially Official Training and Mentoring Guide

I'm asking myself also if PPM can be pass on players that aren't on the same position?

For example, my assman will make a group with 1 left back, two central defender and a midfielder, is there a chance the PPM of the "leader", "dive into tackles" is pass on my mildfielder?

Or in this case, it's most likely it will be a personnality influence?

I ask that because my assman is making groups of players that aren't in the same position (he did another on with 2 rights back and 2 midfielder).

thanks for the answer.

Edited by CWaka

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
8 hours ago, CWaka said:

I'm asking myself also if PPM can be pass on players that aren't on the same position?

For example, my assman will make a group with 1 left back, two central defender and a midfielder, is there a chance the PPM of the "leader", "dive into tackles" is pass on my mildfielder?

Or in this case, it's most likely it will be a personnality influence?

I ask that because my assman is making groups of players that aren't in the same position (he did another on with 2 rights back and 2 midfielder).

thanks for the answer.

Player Traits depend on a player's attributes and sometimes position. A player without suitable attributes will not be able to learn a certain Player Trait and some are only available in certain positions.

il y a une heure, Seb Wassell a dit :

Player Traits depend on a player's attributes and sometimes position. A player without suitable attributes will not be able to learn a certain Player Trait and some are only available in certain positions.

Thank you for your answer.

In a sense, is it working the same way as learning a PPM via training?

Because I did try, to teach for example, "dictate tempo" to one of my keeper, although my GK coach said it was a bad idea and that was probably not going to work, I was still able to get him to train him for that.

Because for me via training I can ask to learn any PPM to any players. So yeah, there is a message saying it's bad and won't work but we can still try for it.

So is it the same via mentoring? It could be pass but same as training, it would probably fail due to what you explain (player positions + attributes not suitable).

(hope I'm clear enough).

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, CWaka said:

Thank you for your answer.

In a sense, is it working the same way as learning a PPM via training?

Because I did try, to teach for example, "dictate tempo" to one of my keeper, although my GK coach said it was a bad idea and that was probably not going to work, I was still able to get him to train him for that.

Because for me via training I can ask to learn any PPM to any players. So yeah, there is a message saying it's bad and won't work but we can still try for it.

So is it the same via mentoring? It could be pass but same as training, it would probably fail due to what you explain (player positions + attributes not suitable).

(hope I'm clear enough).

Yep :thup:

Did post this in an other training thread but no responses so will try here.

Couple of questions

1. What can I do with this fellow?

20181111220831_1.thumb.jpg.0bbc56069f6e081312dd3b4f968e38b3.jpg

I just can't get this one happy with any additional focus, he never moans about extra training, just the additional focus he's been assigned, He's a back-up BPD and FB, long term a BPD, I have tried just about everything and he's never happy with the additional focus? He's still young and his stats aren't bad so I really want to develop him well, 2nd/3rd season possible starter, I just find him a conundrum.

2. My wide men I'm training for the opposite side of the pitch to their preferred side, so when they become accomplished I get the they need more playing time in new position message from coach, in my tactics the wide men are set to switch with each other, does this count towards playing time in new position?

Still loving the training though Seb, just the deeper I go, the bigger the headaches

21 hours ago, herne79 said:

If you're referring to that, there is no "right" or "wrong".

OK, technically I'm sure someone far smarter than me might figure out how to min/max the whole thing to come up with some hugely complex "best" method of training.  Meanwhile back on planet Earth rest assured that "not getting it right" is ok - it's ok to relax, use a little common sense and experiment, safe in the knowledge that we really can't screw things up that badly.  Unless we put all of our heavily jaded and poor condition players on super intensive physical training for 3 months without realising it. 

Which I totally haven't done.

Hey man, thanks for the reply :) 

I get what you're saying, and I really am enjoying being able to experiment with training this year. I was asking the question mostly because of course, I don't want to screw up my players maximizing their potential through training. An example: I have an 18-year-old defender who has awesome attributes but his heading is 11. I've started to give him some match experience and I'm trying to focus some of the training around Aerial defending in the hope it increases, but so far, after 4 months there's been no increase.

Time to get to grips with mentoring. I have 2 questions.

1. My club captain has a high leadership attribute, but a disastrous 7 in Determination. If he leads a mentoring group will he drag down mentees' Determination, or can they pull him up?

2. If I make a mistake assigning mentoring groups, can I quickly haul someone out or disband the group (in previous FMs you couldn't break a tutoring relationship if you changed your mind).

28 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

1. My club captain has a high leadership attribute, but a disastrous 7 in Determination. If he leads a mentoring group will he drag down mentees' Determination, or can they pull him up?

2. If I make a mistake assigning mentoring groups, can I quickly haul someone out or disband the group (in previous FMs you couldn't break a tutoring relationship if you changed your mind).

1. He could drag down their determination

2. There’s a Red Cross to cancel

1 minute ago, fmFutbolManager said:

1. He could drag down their determination

2. There’s a Red Cross to cancel

Yeah, I tried it, saw the crosses to take 'em out, then the tiny option to let the assman handle it. He took out over half my groups!

So I'm left with a bunch no nobodies mentoring other nobodies. Hmm.

And my captain - keep him out! Okay :idiot:

35 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

1. It is possible under the right circumstances that the club captain could have his brought up but its highly unlikely. But that doesn't mean it can't. It's more likely he drags down the other players. But again it comes down to the conditions of the mentoring group, the influence the players have an so on.

2. You can cancel yes.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

1. It is possible under the right circumstances that the club captain could have his brought up but its highly unlikely. But that doesn't mean it can't. It's more likely he drags down the other players. But again it comes down to the conditions of the mentoring group, the influence the players have an so on.

2. You can cancel yes.

Sounds like I can't take the risk. My vice-captain has similar properties so they will both be excluded. It leaves me with an extremely vanilla squad where almost everyone has a 'balanced' personality and being a new squad, no one is 'influential' bar some 17 year-old kid! I guess patience is required.

Edited by phnompenhandy

3 hours ago, Citizen Kane said:

I'm still really confused, there are 5 GK options but they're never chosen for the main schedules  - are GKs separate so they basically not get any time as part of the team?

If you look at what each training module actually covers, you'll see Goalkeepers are included. Assistants don't seem to like scheduling it as they only ever seem to use 2 blocks per day, I think the logic being that you cover more players more effectively if you exclude the 1-3 goalkeepers in the squad. 

2 hours ago, Citizen Kane said:

so in the main training schedule you never chose GK options? 

Can you not have schedules for certain people

What? No, in your original post you noted goalkeeper training is never in the schedules arranged by your AM. I was just suggesting a rationale for why that might be.

I always train mine during international breaks right now because they never get called up.

Some ideas from The Tinkerman, Claudio Ranieri himself :D:  

"My boys are training a lot, but not too many times. In England the game is always high intensity and wipes people out. They need more time to recover. We play on Saturdays and then Sunday is free for everyone. We resume on Monday with light training, the way they do it in Italy. Tuesday is hard training, Wednesday absolute rest. Thursday another hard workout, Friday is preparation for the match, Saturday another game. I make sure the players have at least two days off from football each week. This is the pact I made with the players on the first day: I trust you. I'll explain a little football ideas every now and them, as long as you give me everything.”

17 minutes ago, IL Luce said:

Some ideas from The Tinkerman, Claudio Ranieri himself :D:  

"My boys are training a lot, but not too many times. In England the game is always high intensity and wipes people out. They need more time to recover. We play on Saturdays and then Sunday is free for everyone. We resume on Monday with light training, the way they do it in Italy. Tuesday is hard training, Wednesday absolute rest. Thursday another hard workout, Friday is preparation for the match, Saturday another game. I make sure the players have at least two days off from football each week. This is the pact I made with the players on the first day: I trust you. I'll explain a little football ideas every now and them, as long as you give me everything.”

Interesting.

I would interpret this as:

Sunday - rest all 3 sessions

Monday - recovery, general training, rest

Tuesday - physical, technical, tactical 

Wednesday - rest all 3 sessions

Thursday - physical, technical, tactical

Friday - set pieces, tactical 

Saturday - match

*physical, technical and tactical sessions can be general or specific

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere and I missed it, but my "Ask my Assistant to Assign" button on the mentoring screen is grayed out and I can't click on it no matter what settings I change. However, in a different save it works just fine. Would anyone happen to have any idea why I can't click it in one save but I can in another? Thanks so much.

5 hours ago, bozz14 said:

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere and I missed it, but my "Ask my Assistant to Assign" button on the mentoring screen is grayed out and I can't click on it no matter what settings I change. However, in a different save it works just fine. Would anyone happen to have any idea why I can't click it in one save but I can in another? Thanks so much.

Make sure you have an assistant manager

2 hours ago, Dullnut said:

How much time my players should spend on upcoming match training? And how much before very important match? 10 %, 20 %, 50 % ? Thanks

Where do you see % for match training in FM19?

Just now, craiigman said:

Match prep doesn't have those options? Before this game the last training session was "Defending" not "Defending Corners".

Choose another sesssion, one that focuses on set pieces.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Choose another sesssion, one that focuses on set pieces.

What are you talking about? Match Preparation training was always separate option to normal training, the Match Preparation training is clearly still in the game, but you cannot pick which one. My next game:

IAHSupL.png

Training focus this week is defending, but next game is Attacking Movement. Clearly not linked.

43 minutes ago, craiigman said:

What are you talking about? Match Preparation training was always separate option to normal training, the Match Preparation training is clearly still in the game, but you cannot pick which one. My next game:

IAHSupL.png

Training focus this week is defending, but next game is Attacking Movement. Clearly not linked.

That SS is different to the actual question, so if you have a bug to report, please report it.

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

That SS is different to the actual question, so if you have a bug to report, please report it.

No it’s not, I asked how to set match preparation training and included the screen shot of it being defending corners. The new screenshot is just the full screen including the weeks traning and being the game after.

Edited by craiigman

Select Defensive Shape from the Match Prep category. 

From your screenshot it looks like you had selected Defending from the General category which focuses on all defending as a team.

Defensive Shape focuses on the up coming match and trains each unit and each player in their respective individual role training if you've selected those. If not, players from each unit train in generic role for their positions.

7 minutes ago, yonko said:

Select Defensive Shape from the Match Prep category. 

From your screenshot it looks like you had selected Defending from the General category which focuses on all defending as a team.

Defensive Shape focuses on the up coming match and trains each unit and each player in their respective individual role training if you've selected those. If not, players from each unit train in generic role for their positions.

It doesn’t change the match preparation training though, as you can see my up coming game is set to attacking movement. No matter what training I set before the next game, this doesn’t change.

2 minutes ago, craiigman said:

It doesn’t change the match preparation training though, as you can see my up coming game is set to attacking movement. No matter what training I set before the next game, this doesn’t change.

That's probably just feedback from your training. I don't know. Maybe it's a bug then.

17 hours ago, craiigman said:

How do you pick you match preparation training?

ITiW2C6.png

16 hours ago, craiigman said:

IAHSupL.png

15 hours ago, craiigman said:

But it's clearly not..

xPHqo0q.png

I don't think it's a bug, I just don't think the option is in the game. 

@Seb Wassell sorry to summon you again. Match Preparation training clearly still in the game. However there doesn’t seem to be an option to chose which one is to be used.

Is this and oversight with the new training module or is a certain session slot meant to dictate which one it will be?

If so which slot? As Match Preview is the training the day before a game. I’d have thought that within this there would be an option to pick the focus?

• SI Staff
14 hours ago, craiigman said:

Can you set Match Preparation training as argued above? There doesn’t seem to be an option to pick it, but it changes from game to game.

Match Preparation work is included in the schedule itself. Some sessions include an "Upcoming Match" impact. Those trained in the week prior to a match will be 'active' for that match. You can have more than one at a time.

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Match Preparation work is included in the schedule itself. Some sessions include an "Upcoming Match" impact. Those trained in the week prior to a match will be 'active' for that match. You can have more than one at a time.

Where are they though? I clearly have training setup this week as defending, however my match prep for the upcoming game is set to Attacking Movement.

On my other screen shot I changed my training to the ones that come under match prep that wasn’t attacking movement and it didn’t change this.

I will log a bug report if this isn’t working as intended. However it seems to be more that Match Preparation is not related at all to my training sessions, and the option to pick this is simply missing.

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Where are they though? I clearly have training setup this week as defending, however my match prep for the upcoming game is set to Attacking Movement.

On my other screen shot I changed my training to the ones that come under match prep that wasn’t attacking movement and it didn’t change this.

I will log a bug report if this isn’t working as intended. However it seems to be more that Match Preparation is not related at all to my training sessions, and the option to pick this is simply missing.

It won't change something already trained, only add to it.

If you think something is amiss please do go ahead and get it logged with accompanying save. We'll take a look.

Just now, craiigman said:

Attacking Corners, will focus on an attacking set piece and that's gives a boost for the next match. It's under Set Pieces when you choose schedules.

Defensive Shape will focus on Marking in the upcoming match. It's under Match Prep when you choose a schedule.

Check the schedules to see what the rest trains and in your case, specifically for the upcoming match.

Attacking movement seems like a UI issue.

21 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

It won't change something already trained, only add to it.

If you think something is amiss please do go ahead and get it logged with accompanying save. We'll take a look.

I’m sorry if I am being thick, but no where on my training schedule is there any attacking training. How/why would it become attacking movement and why wouldn’t I be able to change this?

• SI Staff
17 minutes ago, craiigman said:

I’m sorry if I am being thick, but no where on my training schedule is there any attacking training. How/why would it become attacking movement and why wouldn’t I be able to change this?

image.thumb.png.ca8d79e75ae79803ece7084661654fce.png

There is a UI issue that does not display Attacking Movement in addition to Passing here. We're looking into this.

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

image.thumb.png.ca8d79e75ae79803ece7084661654fce.png

There is a UI issue that does not display Attacking Movement in addition to Passing here. We're looking into this.

I have added Defensive Shape from that Match Preparation, but still have attacking movement:

XqH1vma.png

Also as you see from the full week, there is no attacking training, other than that Match Prep which I did not pick. Here is my weekly training report:

I4B7Uvy.png

There is 1 in attack, 2 in match prep. They aren't linked.

edit:

I go forward a day, and that week in review changes to this:

qsEuVZU.png

Now 3 match prep, no attack, but still Att Movement in Match Prep and my 10 rated trainer is now 7.70?

Edited by craiigman

Next game now away vs Shakhtar, I set this training:

HiqCqhH.png

And this is what it shows:

RaTBbsw.png

To confirm, I have seen other things other than Att.Movement so it's not like that is showing for every game. It does however say at the bottom that defensive positioning paid off last time round.

So if that is a UI issue, thats fine. But if my only pre game prep is "Match Preview" what is setting the Match Prep?

Edited by craiigman

@Seb Wassell sorry to tag you Seb but, have asked this question in few topics, including this one, but can't seem to get an answer, and it is training related.

I'm training my widemen for the opposite side of the pitch to their preferred side, so when they become accomplished, I get the they need more playing time in new position message from coach, in my tactics the wide men are set to switch with each other, does this count towards playing time in new position?

Also what's the split when switching position, I'm guessing 60/40?

7 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

A quick question on this. Do sessions with "Upcoming Match" impact have to be placed close to the game? If the next match is in 15 days will a "Penalty" session 10 days before the game have any impact?