FM19 Athletic Club - Aupa!

bowieinspace

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/03/2019 at 06:49, ThePietu said:

Griezmann done his cruciate ligaments for up to 9 months how likely is it that he does them again? 

You couldn't say without going in to the editor, so I imagine the in game editor would show it, but that would be cheating. Serious injuries have a coded value reflecting their chance of repetition, but it's different for every individual occurence of the injury

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

You couldn't say without going in to the editor, so I imagine the in game editor would show it, but that would be cheating. Serious injuries have a coded value reflecting their chance of repetition, but it's different for every individual occurence of the injury

Thanks, I disabled the use of the editor so I don't get the urge to cheat. Hopefully it just was a one time thing so I can get him. 

My advice for the budget is do not give in to contract demands if it is not absolutely necessary. If you accept contract demands even to raise minimum purchase prices, other players immediately start to demand new wages and before you knew it you cannot buy anyone.

Keep in mind that you are not in Europe in the first season and you don't need that many players. So get rid of some (Herrerin, Rico, Lekue and Kodro imho). That would put some cash to your budget and free up some wage space.

Finally when old players like Raul Garcia are in their last year of contracts offer them much lower wages and wait patiently till the end. I was lucky enough that he wasnt interested in the approaching clubs and signed for a much lower wage.

2nd Season Update

So I finished 7th in the league, had a terrible season but in February I changed tactics to a 4-1-2-3 Gegenpress tactic and that changed my fortunes and I went unbeaten for the last 17 games.

My stand out player was Munian but of course Man City come in for him and sign him for 40m as I stupidly forgot to offer him a new contract and his minimum fee was 40.5m so he went. Despite interest for Inaki Williams I have managed to keep him.

I signed an awesome regen striker from Real Betis for £2.2m, will be a bargain as his attributes have shot up and he is only 16 years old, has scored 10 goals in 19 appearances with average rating of 7.29.

Looking forward to seeing how I do in my 3rd season, really enjoying this save so far.

9 hours ago, kun^^ said:

296d414c035145117b8945aabcd8522d.png

Best save ever what a joy :Bowen:

Still can't win the la liga :onmehead:

I think the furthest I've got in the CL in five seasons is maybe the QF. I made the SF of the Europa League. I'm guessing your two scorers there are regens. Got any good ones? I've managed to win one La Liga so far.

I think the furthest I've got in the CL in five seasons is maybe the QF. I made the SF of the Europa League. I'm guessing your two scorers there are regens. Got any good ones? I've managed to win one La Liga so far.

Take a look , the best by far is Sergio Sanchez , two times Pichichi in la Liga and golden boot on Champions league this year.

y7Lu5Qg.jpg

oGqJURh.jpg

lw5VzlX.jpg

aDocYXO.jpg

BlZWilw.jpg

Fmlon6o.jpg

Oxhi2FX.jpg

DKlkaZe.jpg

yuT30xx.jpg

Nice job on winniing the la liga , know im gonna focus on that

Edited by kun^^

Out of interest has anybody had a new chairman as a result of the elections who has dispensed with your services?  I’ve just hit Jan of first season and am sat in 4th having briefly led the standings.  

My chairman is currently assessing me and my job security has dropped from around 60/70% to 19% and is now “precarious”.  Anybody else had this?

1 hour ago, Matt_G said:

Out of interest has anybody had a new chairman as a result of the elections who has dispensed with your services?  I’ve just hit Jan of first season and am sat in 4th having briefly led the standings.  

My chairman is currently assessing me and my job security has dropped from around 60/70% to 19% and is now “precarious”.  Anybody else had this?

Every time it happens, there are whispers that the chairman wants someone like Villas-Boas as manager (and that their star signing they've promised the fans is someone who'd be your 4th choice keeper!) but usually you're told there are no plans for investment and you'll be judged based on your performance now. Usually if you're around CL/Europa League spots, you're OK. I've never been fired and this happens every season.

On 28/03/2019 at 21:54, Matt_G said:

Yeah this isn’t uncommon, if you’ve done doing well against targets and getting into Europe I doubt you’ll have a problem

Cheers guys, I was fearing the worst as I had a run of Barca, Real, Barca and before each game the press were saying I was due to be sacked.  Then with no warning my job security jumped back up to secure and the chairman is happy.  Onwards!

I’m finally back with an update! I got back in to my Athletic save after a reasonable break, and resumed in January 2021.

20/21 Summary

After winning the title in 19/20 after getting on one hell of a roll, 20/21 was looking like a return to reality and normality. The remainder of the season followed suit, with plenty of great wins, but a lack of quality going forwards costing us in key games, even ones we would largely control. This led to key loses to Atletico and Valencia coming down the stretch, and a few poor draws against lower half teams. We ended up a reasonable second place, 5 points behind champions Atletico, who are an extremely solid team currently in my save. Barca finished 3rd with Real in 4th, both in some stage of a transition and dealing with the departure of Ronaldo and ageing of Messi. We also lost in he champions league quarter finals to Bayern, we were the better side in both games, drew 1-1 twice and lost on pens...sadly again we just reached that point of punching above our weight where our lack of world class quality cost us.

2021 Summer Window

I knew going into 20/21 we would need to make some changes, nothing drastic, but quality was needed and young players also needed opportunities. We were able to line up two key free transfers in January in Ander Herrera and Javi Martinez, both returning to their former club. Herrera had spent the season with us on loan anyway so it was great to sign him up, and Martinez will offer real quality at DM if he can avoid injuries. In exchange, Iturraspe departed and De Marcos left on a free.

This left me chasing one key target, Oyarzabal. I’d nearly got him in April after he become unhappy, however I couldn’t get the deal done financially on my previous season budget, and by the time I could do it, he was happy again. I kept pushing through every possible avenue, and eventually he was happy to at least discuss a contract with me if I paid his 39.5mil release clause. Sociedad also offered a new contract but I was able to get the deal done on a higher wage of 115k p/w. However this came at a cost, again my budget was a real challenge, and even with the maximum shift towards transfer budget rather than wages, I was 4.5million short. I had to sell someone.

This put me in a real tough spot as I had no deadwood in my squad. The obvious option was to shift a midfielder given Oyarzabal’s position, which would mean Zubeldia would be the one to go. However he’d recently signed a new contract so that wasn’t happening. Next up would have to be either Villalibre or Lekue, but both would cause slight squad imbalances. If I sold Villalibre i would have no out and out strikers in my squad, however Córdoba has proven to be a good CF, while I also had Williams who could play there. I also had Nico Williams who could play more games as an out and out CF. Losing Lekue would only leave me with 3 full backs, so I decided Villalibre was the better sale. I had to make it all happen quickly, but Villalibre rejected the only offer that would give me enough money. That meant sadly Lekue had to make way. I just about got the deal done before they wouldn’t delay the Oyarzabal deal further...close call! This leaves me with a 16 year old back up left back (who looks like he will be quality eventually) behind Yuri, as Lekue was covering that spot. My solution is that my other RB who is a world class prospect will also cover LB, and if a situation ensues where I need to rest both Yuri and Odriozola, then Yeray will need to play RB. This also means I can loan out Nico Williams to get him more experience, and Zubeldia will likely only be a back up player for the inevitable Martinez injury.

Squad:

GK: Simon, Remiro
RB: Odriozola, Lopez (regen)
LB: Yuri, Julen Artola
CB: I. Martinez, Nunez, Yeray, E. Goni (regen)
DM: J. Martinez, Zubeldia
CM: Merino, Herrera, Oyarzabal, Sancet
LW: Muniain, Borja Borja (regen)
RW: Williams, Juan Artola 
CF: Villalibre, Córdoba

I’ve then got a crew of talented regens who are playing for the B team, but training with the first team squad to provide depth. With the quality additions of Martinez and Oyarzabal I’m excited for the season! We still lack a really top striker however I’m happy we’ve further improved in the areas that we could. There’s no really good strikers coming through so I’m going to be working with what i have for the foreseeable future. At least the striker options I have are all young, and N. Williams and another regen I have could both become very useful players.

Pictures below of my basque regens, including everyone’s favourite, so good they named him twice, Borja Borja.

6copOmC.jpg

Aitor Llorente - Promising central/attacking midfielder

9K0bmlv.jpg

Alberto Lopez - Potential world class full back

SlTdzLc.jpg

Borja Borja - Needs no introduction

RoxaBE9.jpg

Eneko Goni - Solid CB

BU9yOAk.jpg

Gorka Goni - Promising GK. I think it's likely he will replace Remiro and compete with Unai Simon in the future

eQZ20Um.jpg

Josu Flano - Classy CB prospect, training with the first team and playing for the B team this season. Him combined with Goni above leaves me extremely well stacked at CB. Depending on Inigo Martinez's longevity I may end up retraining Yeray as a DM to utilise them all

NXLZ4Ao.jpg

Julen Artola - I was so glad when I saw this guy come through, Yuri is 31 now so this guy should be able to take over his spot in 2 years or so.

Going to be starting a save on touch version on Nintendo switch (still can't believe it's same as pc version 😲😀

Just wondering besides obviously Spain what other 2 leagues should I load ? I am guessing one would be France ? Thanks for any replies 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

Going to be starting a save on touch version on Nintendo switch (still can't believe it's same as pc version 😲😀

Just wondering besides obviously Spain what other 2 leagues should I load ? I am guessing one would be France ? Thanks for any replies 👍🏻

I'd say probably England alongside the one you mentioned

Edited by bowieinspace

3 hours ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Also load up Brazilian and Mexican league to get the couple Basque players that are there...

Thanks for advice 👍🏻 but I am playing touch version on switch so can only pick 3

First season

La Liga: Finished 4th in a close battle with Valencia for the Champions League spot.
Copa del Rey: Winners

Second season (ongoing)

La Liga: Currently 2nd place, chasing Atletico Madrid. Got Real Madrid and Barcelona few points behind, 12 games left to play. 5th spot is already far behind, so Champions League will return to San Mamés.
Copa del Rey: got kicked out in the round of 16, by Levante. A bit unlucky, but was rotating too, to get the youngsters some playing time.
Champions League: Survived a group with Bayern Munich, Spartak Moskou and Monaco. Lost to Porto 2-0, but won the game in San Mamés 4-0. So we're in the quarter finals, curious to see who we'll be playing. No pressure though... 

Hi all, 

@dothestrand - thanks for putting me on to this thread.

@bowieinspace - great thread!

I'm documenting a save for the first time and it's on, you guessed it, Athletic...

I'll try and share brief updates here as well and follow your progress too! Very interested in how you are all trying to solve the striker problem.

My first season I finished 2nd on 86 points, 1 point behind Atletico who, judging by this thread, are ending up as the team to beat in many saves. I also lost 2-1 to Atletico in the Copa del Rey final and followed that up with defeat in the Super Cup as well so they are becoming a thorn in my side but I've achieved way more in my first season than I was expecting so hoping trophies will follow sooner rather than later. Just started my second season which I have won my first 2 games.

Edited by maccataq

@bowieinspace Hi i have setup the filters you suggested, but for some reason its only showing players from Spanish divisions. For e.g on the all basque players filter Laporte, Martinez, Azpilicueta don't show up, any idea why ?

Edited by lfc7

33 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

@bowieinspace Hi i have setup the filters you suggested, but for some reason its only showing players from Spanish divisions. For e.g on the all basque players filter Laporte, Martinez, Azpilicueta don't show up, any idea why ?

Check your scouting package, because of the transfer policy it’s probably set quite low by default you might have to upgrade it to cover all of Europe

14 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Check your scouting package, because of the transfer policy it’s probably set quite low by default you might have to upgrade it to cover all of Europe

Ok thanks

Edited by lfc7

26 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

Ok thanks

zlatanera is almost certainly correct, I think the default scouting package only covers a very limited territory

The other reason they wouldn't show up would be your settings in regards to the players interest in the transfer. I have one filter set up for transfer interest set to 'doubtful', and one filter with the transfer interest button unticked so all players show up. The players you've mentioned are all high rep who wouldn't initially be interested in a transfers, so that's the only other potential reason I can see.

3 hours ago, maccataq said:

Hi all, 

@dothestrand - thanks for putting me on to this thread.

@bowieinspace - great thread!

I'm documenting a save for the first time and it's on, you guessed it, Athletic...

I'll try and share brief updates here as well and follow your progress too! Very interested in how you are all trying to solve the striker problem.

My first season I finished 2nd on 86 points, 1 point behind Atletico who, judging by this thread, are ending up as the team to beat in many saves. I also lost 2-1 to Atletico in the Copa del Rey final and followed that up with defeat in the Super Cup as well so they are becoming a thorn in my side but I've achieved way more in my first season than I was expecting so hoping trophies will follow sooner rather than later. Just started my second season which I have won my first 2 games.

Thanks for the kind words and great to see your story, and have you contributing here too. 

The striker problem is a right pain, especially, if like on my save, there hasn't even been a half decent basque regen striker come through by 2021/22...even if one comes through this year it'll be a few years until they are first team ready. It's not a big problem if you are allowing yourself to sign Spanish 16 year olds, but if you're doing the strict basque only version it's a significant issue. Cordoba and Villalibre are doing a job for me, and Nico Williams is coming on well in my save too - he will likely be my first choice next season when he returns from a loan. I have a world class midfield in Merino, Herrera and Oyarzabal, but my conversion is so hit and miss due to the lack of a quality finisher in front of them. It's probably the one thing stopping the team from reaching the next level.

I'm not sure how wide ranging Atletico being a powerhouse team are, but I suppose with the decline of Messi in game and Real struggling to function post Ronaldo, it seems entirely possible it's a regular occurrence given their financial strength with the new stadium. Also, and this is entirely wild, anecdotal  speculation, but I wonder if the 19.3 ME just suits Simeone's tactical set up. The combination of a tight, narrow defence with clinical players of quality up front might just be the ticket. 

In general thread news, I've not updated the front page posts for the 19.3 data update (e.g. including Kodro and attribute changes) but not sure it's worth while at this stage.

Edited by bowieinspace

10 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

zlatanera is almost certainly correct, I think the default scouting package only covers a very limited territory

The other reason they wouldn't show up would be your settings in regards to the players interest in the transfer. I have one filter set up for transfer interest set to 'doubtful', and one filter with the transfer interest button unticked so all players show up. The players you've mentioned are all high rep who wouldn't initially be interested in a transfers, so that's the only other potential reason I can see.

How do you change the default scout package ? is it only through board request as its just been rejected. Also i have filter setup as just nationality basque and interest unticked but still only players in spain showing. Could it be because its the touch version ? i setup all 4 filters like you suggested

Just now, lfc7 said:

How do you change the default scout package ? is it only through board request as its just been rejected. Also i have filter setup as just nationality basque and interest unticked but still only players in spain showing. Could it be because its the touch version ? i setup all 4 filters like you suggested

I will admit to not being familiar with the touch version so unsure how this translates. However on PC, it's via the 'scouting tab', then via the 'players' tab within that, you can adjust the scouting package to include a wider region. 

If you request a bigger scouting range from the board they will reject it as it's a key element that makes the 'basque only' elements of the save function, you have to adjust the scouting package. Hope that makes sense

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

I will admit to not being familiar with the touch version so unsure how this translates. However on PC, it's via the 'scouting tab', then via the 'players' tab within that, you can adjust the scouting package to include a wider region. 

If you request a bigger scouting range from the board they will reject it as it's a key element that makes the 'basque only' elements of the save function, you have to adjust the scouting package. Hope that makes sense

OK thanks cant see that so guess just going to have to keep an eye on players outside of Spain, plus i am going to only sign basque players not Spanish players at 16. Forgot to mention with diving right into save, but you have done a great job with the thread very detailed and helpful:applause:done a few threads over the years so understand how much time can be put into making them

Edited by lfc7

18 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Thanks for the kind words and great to see your story, and have you contributing here too. 

The striker problem is a right pain, especially, if like on my save, there hasn't even been a half decent basque regen striker come through by 2021/22...even if one comes through this year it'll be a few years until they are first team ready. It's not a big problem if you are allowing yourself to sign Spanish 16 year olds, but if you're doing the strict basque only version it's a significant issue. Cordoba and Villalibre are doing a job for me, and Nico Williams is coming on well in my save too - he will likely be my first choice next season when he returns from a loan. I have a world class midfield in Merino, Herrera and Oyarzabal, but my conversion is so hit and miss due to the lack of a quality finisher in front of them. It's probably the one thing stopping the team from reaching the next level.

I'm not sure how wide ranging Atletico being a powerhouse team are, but I suppose with the decline of Messi in game and Real struggling to function post Ronaldo, it seems entirely possible it's a regular occurrence given their financial strength with the new stadium. Also, and this is entirely wild, anecdotal  speculation, but I wonder if the 19.3 ME just suits Simeone's tactical set up. The combination of a tight, narrow defence with clinical players of quality up front might just be the ticket. 

In general thread news, I've not updated the front page posts for the 19.3 data update (e.g. including Kodro and attribute changes) but not sure it's worth while at this stage.

Regarding the striker situation, Aduriz already retired after one season for me. I have struggled to get a tune out of Williams playing up top although maybe I haven't been patient enough but I like him on the right wing. I've sent Guruzeta out on loan but not sure he's going to be more than a backup. I brought Sabin Merino back in because he offers a back up option but not pinning my hopes on him by any means. Playing Cordoba up front is interesting and maybe something I should explore more!

How is Ruben Azcona for you? He has great potential for me and has been promoted to Bilbao Athletic.

I'm lucky though - my under 19s boast some good options:

1314241207_Screenshot2019-04-08at19_55_12.thumb.png.3f29c0705c10ff16dce91431a9fea33c.png

Ivan and Iray Mori I signed (didn't really know about the strict Basque challenge but I think that's a good idea given it's true to real life I believe). Ivan was a paltry £23k compensation so was a bit of a punt.

I'm hopeful about Nico Williams despite a modest potential rating.

As for Andoni Sanz, well he was a gift and already has a 2.5 star rating!

1314681032_Screenshot2019-04-08at19_57_08.thumb.png.3450476ef9faa5da062f439a14fe8a0a.png

I originally had him in my first team squad but at just 16 I thought maybe I should leave him in the under 19s to develop there and call him up to the first team when I want to give him opportunities - would be interested to know what you think? His determination is good so I don't think there is a pressing need to mentor him plus with Aduriz gone there isn't a significant influence in his position.

1 hour ago, maccataq said:

Regarding the striker situation, Aduriz already retired after one season for me. I have struggled to get a tune out of Williams playing up top although maybe I haven't been patient enough but I like him on the right wing. I've sent Guruzeta out on loan but not sure he's going to be more than a backup. I brought Sabin Merino back in because he offers a back up option but not pinning my hopes on him by any means. Playing Cordoba up front is interesting and maybe something I should explore more!

How is Ruben Azcona for you? He has great potential for me and has been promoted to Bilbao Athletic.

I'm lucky though - my under 19s boast some good options:

1314241207_Screenshot2019-04-08at19_55_12.thumb.png.3f29c0705c10ff16dce91431a9fea33c.png

Ivan and Iray Mori I signed (didn't really know about the strict Basque challenge but I think that's a good idea given it's true to real life I believe). Ivan was a paltry £23k compensation so was a bit of a punt.

I'm hopeful about Nico Williams despite a modest potential rating.

As for Andoni Sanz, well he was a gift and already has a 2.5 star rating!

1314681032_Screenshot2019-04-08at19_57_08.thumb.png.3450476ef9faa5da062f439a14fe8a0a.png

I originally had him in my first team squad but at just 16 I thought maybe I should leave him in the under 19s to develop there and call him up to the first team when I want to give him opportunities - would be interested to know what you think? His determination is good so I don't think there is a pressing need to mentor him plus with Aduriz gone there isn't a significant influence in his position.

With existing Athletic players....Azcona for me hasn't come on this year, I've actually just sold him for 300k after giving him time in the Segunda to develop. He has an excellent attribute spread for an advanced forward, but just like Nolaskoain and Vencedor on my save, they never improved. Nico Williams has always had 3-4 star potential on my save, so quite different to yours, and he's come on reasonably well. He has a long way to go development wise from the start of the game, but for me he's now a 2.5 star player, with 3 star potential and a 4th black star...so I'm hopeful he could get to a 3.5* player after some further development - that would make him my best striker. He's currently on loan in La Liga and having a great season, showing great attribute imnprovements. I am settled with Villalibre/Cordoba up front this season (I only play a lone striker), so I'll leave him on loan. Next season I may well let someone go (most likely Villalibre) so Nico can step in to the first team, as I think he has a higher ceiling than Villalibre. 

With Cordoba, I trained him as an inside forward so his finishing develops, and also at times as an advanced forward to develop the right attributes. He has excellent movement and work rate, so as a lone striker he covers the pitch well. Statistically he is one of the best strikers in La Liga for shots on target % and some other key indicators...I'd definitely recommend him as a CF. However with your young lad Sanz coming through, your need is perhaps a bit less than mine!

Guruzeta has come on fairly well in my save, but has never quite been good enough to be a key player. Ability wise he's similar to Villalibre for me, 2.5*CA and 3*PA, however as a CF, Villalibre has been more effective and has a better attribute spread, so I don't really have a use for Guruzeta. I'm well stockedwith young players in AMC and out wide, so I think I will likely move him on at the end of this season once his loan ends. I like him and think he's a good player, but he's a square peg in a round hole for me. If my system was different and my regen luck had been different, he could potentially have been more valuable than the similarly rated Villalibre.

With Sanz, at 2.5* I would have him in first team training for sure. My basic policy is that at 1.5* I have them in the u19's or B team, once they hit 2* (if they have 3.5*+ potential only) I have them training with the first team, making the occasional appearance and playing full time for either the B team or u19's depending on age - if they are 16 I have them playing for the u19's, 17 years of age it depends on a few factors, and 18 year olds always play for the B team. Once they hit 2.5* current ability, I have them playing exclusively for the first team, just rotating and playing some minutes here and there, maybe the occasional start. If I am really well covered in that area depth wise then I will look at finding the right loan move for them, as I did with Nico Williams this season. However that's certainly not the only way to do things...you could leave him in the u19's, but I think at 2.5*CA he's probably so much better than the players around him he's not gaining as much as he could. It's fine to have him with the seniors provided you monitor his development and don't over expose him to too much game time at that age.

Edited by bowieinspace

7 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

With Sanz, at 2.5* I would have him in first team training for sure. My basic policy is that at 1.5* I have them in the u19's or B team, once they hit 2* (if they have 3.5*+ potential only) I have them training with the first team, making the occasional appearance and playing full time for either the B team or u19's depending on age - if they are 16 I have them playing for the u19's, 17 years of age it depends on a few factors, and 18 year olds always play for the B team. Once they hit 2.5* current ability, I have them playing exclusively for the first team, just rotating and playing some minutes here and there, maybe the occasional start. If I am really well covered in that area depth wise then I will look at finding the right loan move for them, as I did with Nico Williams this season. However that's certainly not the only way to do things...you could leave him in the u19's, but I think at 2.5*CA he's probably so much better than the players around him he's not gaining as much as he could. It's fine to have him with the seniors provided you monitor his development and don't over expose him to too much game time at that age.

I've always historically promoted players on a similar basis to what you have described but I read something recently about young players needing more time training and developing that way rather than through game time at a young age but by 18 they really need game time to develop. By putting them in the first team you are subjecting them to first team training, which is surely a beneficial experience for them, but the first team may be playing more games and training less.

I suspect you are right about him being far too good for the u19s; I may promote him again but make him available for them and try give him some game time soon.

Just now, maccataq said:

I've always historically promoted players on a similar basis to what you have described but I read something recently about young players needing more time training and developing that way rather than through game time at a young age but by 18 they really need game time to develop. By putting them in the first team you are subjecting them to first team training, which is surely a beneficial experience for them, but the first team may be playing more games and training less.

I suspect you are right about him being far too good for the u19s; I may promote him again but make him available for them and try give him some game time soon.

Yeah I think you'll be fine which ever way you do it - you can always switch him around so he trains with the first team in periods when there's only one game a week or something. You're right to be cautious at 16 though, at 17 I tend to be happy to expose them to the first team if they're good enough, I am just cautious not over playing them. 

Also with Inaki Williams, I completely agree he's not a CF on this game or in real life. In reality I think he's more of a wide forward than a winger, and this is a bit of an issue I have with the positional options in FM. I would like there to be a wide forward role in the AMR/AML positions, where they have PI's to sit narrower/move in to channels, and get further forward. If you have someone like Williams, the only real option is to play him as a winger, but the role is hard coded to stay wider and hug the touchline. I don't want to use an IF role, as that starts wide and cuts inside on to his left foot, I don't want him to play as a raumdeuter because that's not quite right either in other ways. I feel like there needs to be another role in that position that covers a right footed player, playing in the AMR role (or the opposite on the left), which suits a player like Inaki. He tends to play his best football when he is able to play narrower in the half spaces, breaking the defensive line with his pace. I find it quite hard to manufacture a role on FM that plays like this with the current options. The other option would be to play him on the left as an IF, but with Muniain and Cordoba there's no need to use him there. It feels like the only way to do it is use PPM's, but there could be a role that allows this to happen easier.

33 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

Yeah I think you'll be fine which ever way you do it - you can always switch him around so he trains with the first team in periods when there's only one game a week or something. You're right to be cautious at 16 though, at 17 I tend to be happy to expose them to the first team if they're good enough, I am just cautious not over playing them. 

Also with Inaki Williams, I completely agree he's not a CF on this game or in real life. In reality I think he's more of a wide forward than a winger, and this is a bit of an issue I have with the positional options in FM. I would like there to be a wide forward role in the AMR/AML positions, where they have PI's to sit narrower/move in to channels, and get further forward. If you have someone like Williams, the only real option is to play him as a winger, but the role is hard coded to stay wider and hug the touchline. I don't want to use an IF role, as that starts wide and cuts inside on to his left foot, I don't want him to play as a raumdeuter because that's not quite right either in other ways. I feel like there needs to be another role in that position that covers a right footed player, playing in the AMR role (or the opposite on the left), which suits a player like Inaki. He tends to play his best football when he is able to play narrower in the half spaces, breaking the defensive line with his pace. I find it quite hard to manufacture a role on FM that plays like this with the current options. The other option would be to play him on the left as an IF, but with Muniain and Cordoba there's no need to use him there. It feels like the only way to do it is use PPM's, but there could be a role that allows this to happen easier.

Yeah I sympathise with your dilemma for Williams' position - maybe you should feedback to SI!

40 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

Have you tried him as an AF offset to the right from your central striker? Or as Shadow Striker in the AMCR slot?

On 10/11/2018 at 22:00, bowieinspace said:

3-5-2

apmRVJA.jpg

This is designed to play against the 4-4-2. I wanted my defenders to have a man advantage with a covering defender, so 3 centre backs vs their 2 forwards puts them in an advantageous position. We then also have 3 CM's to out number their central players. As mentioned before, I don't mind conceding a bit of space out wide as with 3 centre backs who are all good in the air, we can manage anything coming in to the box. Going forward this formation allows the wing backs to provide width, with 2 runners from central midfield supporting the forwards. The goal is for the mezzala to get right up there and force a 3v2 against their central defenders.

how have you got on with your 352? I generally play 4231 and 433 but want to look at a 3rd option. I always toy around with 352s but never favour them but I like the idea of getting 2 strikers into the team whilst dominating the central areas.

8 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Have you tried him as an AF offset to the right from your central striker? Or as Shadow Striker in the AMCR slot?

I've generally only tried him as an AF or CF in my 4231 system. I'm looking at some 2 striker systems so it would make sense to try him that way.

15 minutes ago, maccataq said:

I've generally only tried him as an AF or CF in my 4231 system. I'm looking at some 2 striker systems so it would make sense to try him that way.

What I'm talking about is more like a 4231 or 433 but you've taken the RW and put it in STCR next to your STC, I saw Rashidi do it to (very successfully) mimic Salah's positioning for Liverpool last year

5 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

What I'm talking about is more like a 4231 or 433 but you've taken the RW and put it in STCR next to your STC, I saw Rashidi do it to (very successfully) mimic Salah's positioning for Liverpool last year

Interesting - might give it a try! Do you know if he had much joy? I guess you would lose the defensive responsibility.

20 minutes ago, maccataq said:

Interesting - might give it a try! Do you know if he had much joy? I guess you would lose the defensive responsibility.

Oh yeah it was an unreal tactic, I used it with Lyon to such impressive results that pretty much everyone who read the France FM18 thread went and copied the same tactic. 

Yeah you'd want a more conservative central midfielder on that side. 

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

Oh yeah it was an unreal tactic, I used it with Lyon to such impressive results that pretty much everyone who read the France FM18 thread went and copied the same tactic. 

Yeah you'd want a more conservative central midfielder on that side. 

Yeah I think ultimately an offset striker could work, but I want the player on that side to also defend the flanks which makes it tougher to get the balance right. I could play around with a few options to see if I could make that work, but part of me thinks that Williams is better suited to playing as a winger in game (albeit this isn't how he is best suited in RL), so not sure it would really be worthwhile. Unsure whether his attributes are quite right but definitely would be keen to explore. Do you have a link to Rashidi's tactic/explanations?

Edited by bowieinspace

2 hours ago, maccataq said:

how have you got on with your 352? I generally play 4231 and 433 but want to look at a 3rd option. I always toy around with 352s but never favour them but I like the idea of getting 2 strikers into the team whilst dominating the central areas.

It was working really well when I was playing in November/December, but since I picked the game back up more recently it seems to struggle going forwards on the 19.3 update. At the moment I'm using my 4-3-3 against the 4-4-2 which has been more successful, so I've basically ditched the 3 at the back. I would like to spend some time making it work though as I have plenty of good defenders to do it. I didn't give the formation much time though as I wanted to shift direction a little anyway to using two formations as per my below explanation:

My 4-3-3 and 4-4-1-1 in that post you screen grabbed above have both changed a bit with the introduction of new players, particularly to suit a midfield 3 of Merino, Oyarzabal and Herrera:

4-3-3:

The midfield three are now a DM(D), AP (A) and BBM (S). I use Merino as the DM (D) as I want Oyarzabal to do the playmaker role and don't want both a DLP and AP in the team together. if Oyarzabal isn't playing then I can use Merino in that role. I also have Javi Martinez to come in as a more defensive DM (D) anyway. Merino's PPM's make him do more play making than a standard DM (D) anyway so it doesn't worry me that he's not in a role that naturally suits him perfectly. I also adjusted the full backs slightly to bring them in to balance with the new midfield roles, and I'm also only playing one BPD now too. 

4-4-1-1:

I've changed this to a standard 4-2-3-1, to allow me to use Oyarzabal in his favoured AMC position, but with the wide players further ahead to provide passing options for him, as I felt with a 4-4-1-1 he was short of forward options if he picked the ball up in the position to counter attack. This leaves me with a DLP (D) and BBM in midfield. I've always been a little cautious using a BBM in a 4-2-3-1 as it's not really a traditional role for a double pivot, however Herrera does a fantastic job covering the ground so it works ok, and the DLP (D) does a great job of anchoring. It often ends up looking more like a 4-3-3 in shape anyway when the BBM pushes up alongside the AMC (which is what I wanted to achieve for the purpose of the counter press), but the 4-2-3-1 defensive shape allows me to press more effectively just a little higher up the pitch, so it works better than the 4-3-3 in some situations. For example if I am really concerned about an opposition AMC I will often use the 4-3-3 to put someone in his space. If I am concerned about a deeper playmaker in their side, I will often use the 4-2-3-1 as it means the BBM and AMC will be pushed into the space of a defensive midfield playmaker, ready to counter press him if possession is lost. I do end up (contrary to what I said above) using a DLP and AP together in this formation. I don't think I'll do this long term, but it works well with the current players I use in that system

Rather than switching between the two formations based on the opposition formation, I tend to switch between them based on opposition threat and where exactly I want to press them. If I am really concerned about them counter attacking I will use the 4-3-3, but if they are super defensive and don't take any risks, or I am getting squashed back into my own half too much with the 4-3-3 I switch to the 4-2-3-1. 

I have also changed TI's, so we now don't pass shorter or run at defence. Pressing is now extremely urgent and I also use tighter marking. My tactical changes have all been about pressing and shape so these TI changes were important. I am still using the same philosophy of being vertically compact with a high defensive line and low line of engagement.

ZHgB0G4.jpg

L7sUo3I.jpg

Edited by bowieinspace

36 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

Yeah I think ultimately an offset striker could work, but I want the player on that side to also defend the flanks which makes it tougher to get the balance right. I could play around with a few options to see if I could make that work, but part of me thinks that Williams is better suited to playing as a winger in game (albeit this isn't how he is best suited in RL), so not sure it would really be worthwhile. Unsure whether his attributes are quite right but definitely would be keen to explore. Do you have a link to Rashidi's tactic/explanations?

I think it was video 20 of his YouTube series FM18 "The Kop Diaries". 

Well I had to share this colossal bit of money wasting that Barcelona are doing in my save...transfers for 21/22, and appearances through to end of January in all competitions, all were signed in preseason:

32 year old Andriy Yarmolenko - 46million GBP - Apps 5(5)
24 year old Pol Lirola - 25.5 million GBP - Apps 9(1)
23 year old Marco Varnier - 45 million GBP - Apps 13(8)
21 year old Nikolas Nartay - 42 million GBP - Apps 6(8)
27 year old Memphis Depay - 53 million GBP - Apps 8(11)
27 year old Bruno Fernandes - 29 million GBP - Apps 16(3)
25 year old Victor Kovalenko - 20 million GBP - Apps 10(7)

Compared to their main starters e.g. Ter Stegen, Pogba, Messi who are on 26-28 starts in all competitions. In the same summer they sold Arthur to Man United for 71 million, and Zivkovic to Dortmund for 23.5 million, so have invested around 130million on these players after outgoings are deducted. That's a crazy amount of money on rotation players. Out of the bunch Varnier is quite good and is a model citizen which is always a plus, Bruno Fernandes is pretty solid too...the others...I wouldn't touch any of them for a club at their level (albeit they aren't bad players). Only Fernandes has first team squad status, the rest have rotation/back up. Only Varnier and Nartay have much potential to develop due to their ages, and 46million on a 32 year old Yarmolenko is just bizarre. 

At the other end of the spectrum, it's not all a **** show for transfers in Spain, Real are having a fairly poor season but made some good transfers in the summer, getting rid of quite a bit of deadwood and making one big purchase in Donny Van De Beek, with a couple of promising youngsters. Atletico did nothing in the summer but had no need to. Valencia had a superb summer, losing Rodrigo to Man City, but bringing in some excellent players in Forsberg, Aboubakar, Rudiger, Rakitic, Luckassen, Sergi Roberto for a total of 57million GBP. They are currently third in the table. Sevilla are 5th in the league having also done some sensible summer business. 

Currently:
1. Athletic - p21, pts 48
2. Atletico - p21, pts 48
3. Valencia - p21, pts 45
4. Barcelona - p21, pts 41
5. Sevilla - P21, pts 40
6. Real Madrid - p21, pts 39

13 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

It was working really well when I was playing in November/December, but since I picked the game back up more recently it seems to struggle going forwards on the 19.3 update. At the moment I'm using my 4-3-3 against the 4-4-2 which has been more successful, so I've basically ditched the 3 at the back. I would like to spend some time making it work though as I have plenty of good defenders to do it. I didn't give the formation much time though as I wanted to shift direction a little anyway to using two formations as per my below explanation:

My 4-3-3 and 4-4-1-1 in that post you screen grabbed above have both changed a bit with the introduction of new players, particularly to suit a midfield 3 of Merino, Oyarzabal and Herrera:

4-3-3:

The midfield three are now a DM(D), AP (A) and BBM (S). I use Merino as the DM (D) as I want Oyarzabal to do the playmaker role and don't want both a DLP and AP in the team together. if Oyarzabal isn't playing then I can use Merino in that role. I also have Javi Martinez to come in as a more defensive DM (D) anyway. Merino's PPM's make him do more play making than a standard DM (D) anyway so it doesn't worry me that he's not in a role that naturally suits him perfectly. I also adjusted the full backs slightly to bring them in to balance with the new midfield roles, and I'm also only playing one BPD now too. 

4-4-1-1:

I've changed this to a standard 4-2-3-1, to allow me to use Oyarzabal in his favoured AMC position, but with the wide players further ahead to provide passing options for him, as I felt with a 4-4-1-1 he was short of forward options if he picked the ball up in the position to counter attack. This leaves me with a DLP (D) and BBM in midfield. I've always been a little cautious using a BBM in a 4-2-3-1 as it's not really a traditional role for a double pivot, however Herrera does a fantastic job covering the ground so it works ok, and the DLP (D) does a great job of anchoring. It often ends up looking more like a 4-3-3 in shape anyway when the BBM pushes up alongside the AMC (which is what I wanted to achieve for the purpose of the counter press), but the 4-2-3-1 defensive shape allows me to press more effectively just a little higher up the pitch, so it works better than the 4-3-3 in some situations. For example if I am really concerned about an opposition AMC I will often use the 4-3-3 to put someone in his space. If I am concerned about a deeper playmaker in their side, I will often use the 4-2-3-1 as it means the BBM and AMC will be pushed into the space of a defensive midfield playmaker, ready to counter press him if possession is lost. I do end up (contrary to what I said above) using a DLP and AP together in this formation. I don't think I'll do this long term, but it works well with the current players I use in that system

Rather than switching between the two formations based on the opposition formation, I tend to switch between them based on opposition threat and where exactly I want to press them. If I am really concerned about them counter attacking I will use the 4-3-3, but if they are super defensive and don't take any risks, or I am getting squashed back into my own half too much with the 4-3-3 I switch to the 4-2-3-1. 

I have also changed TI's, so we now don't pass shorter or run at defence. Pressing is now extremely urgent and I also use tighter marking. My tactical changes have all been about pressing and shape so these TI changes were important. I am still using the same philosophy of being vertically compact with a high defensive line and low line of engagement.

ZHgB0G4.jpg

L7sUo3I.jpg

Your team instructions differ to mine (I tend to focus on shorter passing and build from the back) but the roles you use in both your 4231 and 433 are pretty much the same as I use. I've always been a fan of having a BBM in CM so I go with that unless I can't get an effective BBM. In FM17 I always used to pair with a DLP D but on FM19 I changed to support to make the formation fluid.

I definitely need to start planning to bring Merino, Herrera, Oyarzabal and maybe Javi Martinez in too!

2021/22 Season Review:

Competitions:

La Liga - 3rd
Champions League - First KO Round
Copa Del Rey - Winners

Wow what a crazy end to the season, we had such a bizarre second half of the year. In the league, let me first of all remind you of the positions in late January:

1. Athletic - p21, pts 48
2. Atletico - p21, pts 48
3. Valencia - p21, pts 45
4. Barcelona - p21, pts 41
5. Sevilla - P21, pts 40
6. Real Madrid - p21, pts 39

End of the season:

kXcSOb5.jpg

As you can see, Real came from miles behind to pip both ourselves and Atletico...Atletico threw it away, gaining only 6 points from their final 5 fixtures. Real on the other hand made a genius managerial change at the end of january, bringing in Rafa Benitez, after that, their results were exceptional:

NPhlC1W.jpg

I never would have called Real hauling that back in, but wow, what an effort. We managed to win the Copa Del Rey, and a 3rd place finish, albeit quite a tight one, was probably fair - it only really felt close at the end because of Atletico throwing it away, I never really felt we were in with a good chance. We need to have a bit of a tactical adjustment for next season and make a few squad changes. The whole season was summed up by the Champions League exit at the hands of Benfica (see screenshot a few posts above).

Edited by bowieinspace

Unlucky with the League and Champions League @bowieinspace sorry but go Rafa ;) i really do love the man irl ha.

Off work for next few days so hoping to spend a good amount of time on fm :D

Who won the CL Final ? 

Edited by lfc7

2 hours ago, lfc7 said:

Unlucky with the League and Champions League @bowieinspace sorry but go Rafa ;) i really do love the man irl ha.

Off work for next few days so hoping to spend a good amount of time on fm :D

Who won the CL Final ? 

Liverpool won 2-0. I actually played them in the group stage and their team was insanely good, although we equipped ourselves well and actually got through in 1st.