Pressing: Free the advanced playmaker!

A fairly common tactical idea in a 4-3-3 is the role of the #10 in pressing. Typically, the front 3 will cover/squeeze the four defenders, and the #10 will push in tightly on the opposing #6. At present, when you select an "advanced playmaker" their maximum pressing is capped at "less urgent", even when your tactics are set to the most aggressive pressing options available. It makes it difficult to achieve a fairly standard idea. Here's an example:

image.thumb.png.4c372e98cb5a99b8c4051af01361ee23.png

The 9 and 7 have done their jobs, the 11 is roughly in the right area, however the #10 (despite having tight marking and maximum pressing, never pushes in enough, allowing them to play out easily:

image.thumb.png.652cb61213c820166a2c5812f67cb28b.png

A midfielder receives the ball under no pressure. 

Every 4-3-3 I've played in/coached asked our #10 in midfield to push in tight on the opponent's #6 as their role in the press. If they don't, it's quite easy to play out through the free player. 

I've tried to work around this by setting my #10 to tightly mark the specific #6, however it is not always this specific in reality. What is meant by "pick up the 6" is that your #10 will simply be tight on the opponent midfielder who drops in to get the ball from their defence. 

50 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

It sounds like you want a attacking midfielder as opposed to an advanced playmaker. The idea of the playmaker is to be free to receive passes when you win the ball back. Sticking right next to the opposing DM would defeat this purpose.

Not really. You want him to play as an advanced playmaker on the ball but just press properly off it. It's a fairly common and not particularly difficult task. The problem is just the restricted pressing setting.

E.g.

https://youtu.be/QFYjsT7mHXo

12 minutes ago, pauly15 said:

Not really. You want him to play as an advanced playmaker on the ball but just press properly off it...

Can't you just put him an advanced midfielder who presses but also make him take riskier passing?

7 minutes ago, NCGibbon said:

Can't you just put him an advanced midfielder who presses but also make him take riskier passing?

Attempted so many different solutions. If you have him as a CM (a) he'll be too far advanced, as a CM (s) he'll be too deep. Often behind a roaming playmaker which isn't what you want if you're trying to achieve an iniesta-xavi style combo.

The compromises don't work. The closest compromise was a using a ball winning midfielder with creative instructions but the problem was forced hard tackling, and I don't think that role can roam from position.

5 minutes ago, pauly15 said:

Attempted so many different solutions. If you have him as a CM (a) he'll be too far advanced, as a CM (s) he'll be too deep. Often behind a roaming playmaker which isn't what you want if you're trying to achieve an iniesta-xavi style combo.

The compromises don't work. The closest compromise was a using a ball winning midfielder with creative instructions but the problem was forced hard tackling, and I don't think that role can reach from position.

The formation on the screen is the defensive shape. If you want him up against the opposing DM then you should line him up there. That's why I suggested attacking mid.

4 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

The formation on the screen is the defensive shape. If you want him up against the opposing DM then you should line him up there. That's why I suggested attacking mid.

Just not how it works in real football. Like I said it's a simple and perhaps the most common pressing instruction in football. Where I live every 13 year old kid starts learning to play a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1. The 4-3-3 pressing instruction for the 10 is as listed above. 

All roles bar defenders, pressing forward, ball winning midfielder and trequartista are locked to less urgent. So changing roles doesnt work. The only role that you can currently get above standard urgency is pressing forward. 

I've previously brought this up in the bugs form but has been dismissed, Which I disagree with as it does effect how players press. 

1 hour ago, pauly15 said:

Just not how it works in real football. Like I said it's a simple and perhaps the most common pressing instruction in football. Where I live every 13 year old kid starts learning to play a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1. The 4-3-3 pressing instruction for the 10 is as listed above. 

Maybe that's how you've been coached, I can't comment on that.

In FM, if you place 3 players forward, and then 3 in midfield, you're telling the game you want to press with 3 high and 3 behind. 

48 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Maybe that's how you've been coached, I can't comment on that.

It's not just how I was coached and coach... It's a core part of any modern nation's football curriculum. I.e. it's how every junior coached by a licensed coach is trained.

48 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

In FM, if you place 3 players forward, and then 3 in midfield, you're telling the game you want to press with 3 high and 3 behind. 

Partly true, though FM isn't so bad it represents it like foosball. It's really close to being a  brilliant engine this year and little tweaks like this can get it there. 

The restrictions are annoying in general. We can play 4 up front, we can play without defenders. We can pick 8 wide players. Let me have a 10 who joins the press in a 4-3-3.

An example. A bit higher up the pitch but I'm on max pressing and max attacking settings all round. Their DLP in midfield comes to get the ball to play out from the back, and instead of joining the press my two midfielders are backing off. One is a RPM so... perhaps that's OK, but the other one is my #10.

image.thumb.png.c75098f5e47df0fc5944484ae3214e7e.png

Archived