Knap - FM24 and FM23 FM22_FM 21 - FM 20 -FM 19 Tactic List

Hey @knap

Which tactic formation is best for a underdog team? Im currently managing Wrexham and got promoted 4 years in a row. So now im in the premier league and it seems it will be a very hard season...

Currently using a 4-2-3-1 formation with a offensive mentality. Is it enough to change that to counter or defensive against bigger teams/hard away games or is it better to use another tactic/formation?

• Replies 38k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/02/2023 at 09:12, knap said:

@mattw123

Have you tried stay on feet when getting cards

Not much difference Knap.

Have just tried one tweak to your beowolf tactics. Try changing to shorter passing and slightly slower tempo. Since doing this, im dominating

Knap- I have played 14 seasons over 2 games of fm23. I havent won a single european trophy using your tactics....i want my money back  :P.....seriously though....help! Im playing as man utd. I always win the league......then i come into europe....and I get pumped like 5-0 in the away leg. year on year

@mattw

Shorter passing and slower tempo give more possession but results are not normally as good. WBs  support tend to be more defensively solid 

Dropping to cautious should help against stronger opposition.

I used cautious last night with Spurs against PSG

1410056909_Screenshot(116).thumb.png.20ebc10908382b2e9f1936f4a65ae152.png

49 minutes ago, knap said:

@mattw

Shorter passing and slower tempo give more possession but results are not normally as good. WBs  support tend to be more defensively solid 

@knap Link or Google Doc ID for this tactic please? :)

On 02/02/2023 at 07:34, knap said:

After being utterly schooled in my attempt to create my own tactic in my last save, I decided to give in and grab a Knap special.

I didn't put much thought or analysis into it.  I saw this one, thought that having two Segundo Volante roles was hilarious, and decided to go for it.  In retrospect, I kind of wished I had waited for one of the more unusual formations that was posted afterwards, mostly for the lulz, but I think this choice will turn out just fine.

I'm playing a lot slower than the rest of you.  You can follow my progress on my blog, if you wish, or on my YouTube channel.  We're playing in Yanji, China, using a team that actually went bankrupt a few years back in a crazy database that has China participating in Europe.  It's a riot.  I also, umm, might have made a few changes to help out our finances a tad.

Anyway, big thanks as always to Knap for the great tactic!  I know that some frown on "downloaded tactics."  Frankly, I fail to see the difference between using this and just going with a slightly modified form of the built-in 4231 Gegenpress SI provides in the game.  At least here we can see success and learn about the match engine without losing every single game and feeling like utter fools.

On 03/02/2023 at 15:35, Par1s said:

@Sibbo I tend to use mostly a 4231 tactic and except the ParisKnap tactic that you may saw in the Google sheet which is a combination of me and @knap I have test on my main saves for many years in game the Venom and the UsAndThem which are both of them pretty nice. You will score plenty goals and you concede less than 30 off course with Maguire out of the squad. 😂

Few pages ago you will see how both of the tactics help me a lot. Take the time and check. With ManUtd probably I will use the UsAndThem for away games and the Venom for home games. If you get a red card with venom change to UsAndThem. 

Something else I would like to say is that I never take into account the testing results. I prefer the tactic that score a lot and concede the less but always a tactic of 4231 or 433 shape.

@Par1s

Which position do you sacrifice when you get a red? Also, is it the IF version of Venom that you use?

@piuk

Most tactics use at least one DM type payer as the holding player.

The attacking midfielder can play at VOL Attack example Odegaard.

I you have more midfielders then 451 would be a good formation. 

416361367_Screenshot(121).thumb.png.ee4bb25cdc117fc24da6317e2358cd0b.png

On 09.02.2023 at 13:33, knap said:

@mattw

which tactic?

On 10/02/2023 at 08:47, monsalai said:

@Par1s

Which position do you sacrifice when you get a red? Also, is it the IF version of Venom that you use?

When I use the venom one I take off the AM and change to US and them. When I use the US and them I take off the SS and it depends the opposite side I change sometimes to defensive.

TL;DR Middlesbrough FC - Double winners! All hail ME23.1BEOWULFKnapBALTIGD424IFBBMP101ECCC!

Spoiler

I made the switch to this tactic from variations of the 2xDM/Segundo Volante tactics towards the end of last season. We were hammering teams on xG, but not scoring enough, and we suffered early exits in both domestic cups. I figured that playing a slightly less defensive tactic might help - and it did! 4 wins from the last 6 was enough for us to limp to 6th, and with Liverpool winning the CL we got the second extra qualification spot.

We started the 28/29 season well, with 4 wins in a row. We then lost to Wolves 3-1 (one of just two losses by more than one goal domestically) and Man Utd 3-4 having led 2-0 and 3-1. But then we won 16 of the next 17 and amassed a huge lead at the top of the table, 13 of those wins coming by 2+ goals as we routinely blew other teams away.

Part of that was down to the talent I've amassed so far - Marcos Leonardo picked up in 2023 and Yousouffa Moukoko in 2026 were well-established, and had 33 and 32 goals respectively by the time we clinched the title. Brazilian newgen Celso Jung, in his first season after a 17.5m move, also scored 32 goals. Cole Palmer, signed for 41m from City in 2027, added 20 goals from the right wing while his Brazilian newgen understudy Sidney and veteran centre back Joachim Andersen both notched 12 times... Sidney with a bit more flair compared to Andersen's thumping headers at set pieces.

We were unfortunate to lose to Leicester in the league cup, having scored in the first minute and dominated, but getting undone by clinical finishing in a rare poor display from our attack.

We clinched the title at home to Newcastle with a 3-0 win, which was no doubt especially sweet for the fans - even the team seemed to perk up at the idea of giving the fans something to cheer during my team talk, which may have been a first!

In the FA Cup we reached the final against Man United, who did the double over us in the league with a 3-1 win the match after we clinched the title. It was time for revenge in the final, though - despite going behind twice, we made it 2-2 late on and kept up the pressure, getting our reward on penalties as all 5 of our takers buried to make Middlesbrough the FA Cup winners as well!

We did well in the Champions League, too, topping the table with 10 more goals scored than anyone else and reaching the quarter-final. There we lost out to Liverpool after they knocked us out at the semi-final stage last year. Gallingly, they overcame a first leg deficit when our left back got his only red card all season, and Liverpool's star striker put us to the sword - only the second time all season we'd lost by more than one goal, in spite of having better xG in both matches. I *hate* Liverpool - despite Klopp leaving for Newcastle, their slumping to 8th in the table and *still* having Alisson, Robertson, van Dijk, Fabinho and Salah all starting in their mid-30s, our record against them is atrocious. They didn't even start Victor Osimhen, who's normally been good for a goal a game against us throughout the save. Just a pack of utter wasters, and even having fallen down the table they've made the CL final so could be back in it next season.

Thanks, knap! This one was just what the doctor ordered for my side, once I had the courage to try a tactic for a PA160 side rather than keep thinking that we were underdogs even after qualifying for the CL 4 seasons in a row...

Edited by Majick

So I was struggling a bit to get a 3421 going and while trying to find things that would work I simply slapped @knap's instructions he had on the 4231 Venom tactic and to my surprised it worked remarkably well. In my first season I got barely second, second season I actually won the league on the last day against Bayern but the tactic always felt a bit toothless, having high possession and passing percentages but only really scrapping out results.

Third season I popped on the new 3421 Venom version after like 5 games where I really struggled to score and completely exploded from that point on.

The formation:

spacer.png

The team instructions and player instructions are like I said simply copied over from the 4231 Venom tactic, with which I also had great success in the past. The WCBs both have the same PI as the ball playing defender in

My league result:

spacer.png

My best CL games:

w880R1V.png

oBVXvkK.png

That being said, the two results above are actually achieved with switching from attacking to cautious, which worked wonders for my big game performances the tactic goes from all-out pressure Knap-style tactic to a more deliberate more counter-attacking tactic, and it worked like a charm in big games or games where I felt like my opponents were getting too many counter-attacks off, and I needed to be more careful.

As you can also see the tactic gets a decent possession and passing success rate, without overdoing it. I finished the league with 58% possession (only Bayern was better with 61%) and 88% passing success rate on average.

Some more info on my team and what players I think work well in which positions. The team is what in past tactic tests has probably been called a sub-top team. The majority of my players are in the 150-160ca range, apart from my wingbacks, who are both below 150ca but work really well and Bellingham who is my stand-out player in midfield. As AMs I playmakers and shadow strikers both work well, my best one last season was actually Moukoko who had his first season becoming a starter for me. Simons & Reus have also done well, whereas Simons shines more with providing chances and Moukoko more as a second finisher, scoring more than 20 goals last season. Reus was pretty well-balanced chipping in 10+ assists and 10+ goals. Reyna I can't really say too much about, he played well when he played but apart from that was usually injured.

As a striker I felt Adeyemi worked slightly better than Haller, but both worked actually quite well and ended up being number 1 and 2 in the League goalscorer charts.

With all the balls over the top shenanigans it's also important to have a central ball playing defender that is excellent in the air and has excellent positioning, he will have to deal with the majority of these balls, it's how I concede the majority of the few goals I concede.

3421-attacking-v1.2.fmf

Edited by Flohrinho