Part 1: Rebirth of Lobanovsky’s “Totalitarian” Football

Today most football fans associate Total Football with the Dutch super teams of 1970s or the modern Barcelona and Bayern Munich systems. Unfortunately, the name of a Ukrainian manage Valeriy Lobanovsky does not immediately spring to mind even though the term “pressing” originated in his book “Methodological Basis of theDevelopment of Training Models”. For obvious reasons, soviet era football is not exactly a glamorous subject. Also to understand Lobanovsky’s system one must also understand the mentality of his time, which is not always easy for non-Eastern Europeans. Lobanovsky was thechild of postwar Soviet Ukraine, a regime which prized above all else two things, collective accomplishment and scientific progress that arose from hard work. Individuals were not praised on their merits alone but how they worked as part of a well-oiled machine.

To Lobanovsky, a football team was such a machine, made up of 22 cogs. The team had to attack together, defend together, and win together. Every player was supposed to be comfortable playing both attack and defence. Describing it in such a way, one might not see any difference from the Dutch, German or Spanish visions of Total Football. What made Lobanovsky’s “Total" Football unique is how for him it was not about controlling the ball through ball possession but about controlling the space through stretching and overloading the field. The players had to make the field larger when in possession and smaller when defending. His teams were never possession-hogs. If anything he relied more on rapid vertical counterattacks rather than on a 1000 beautiful short passes. To give an analogy that’s instantly understood by any modern follower of the beautiful game, Lobanovsky’s Soviet National Team and Dynamo Kiev were like Leicester of their time. More counterpressing than Tiki-Taka.

2016-04-01_USSR_Pressing.png 

Like any successful general who realizes that you win by controlling the field of battle first and by outnumbering the enemy second, Lobanovsky wanted his players to exploit the space to their advantage. While attacking they had to stretch the field via tireless work of fullbacks such as Luzhny and wingers like Alex Zavarov. When not in possession, the same players had to work hard to collapse back into tight 2 lines of 4 compressed around the net to give as little space for the opponents as possible.  For once again, one cannot create any kind of attacking move if there is no space available for players to run into and Lobanovsky's players were already occupying that space. Yet his tactics were far from simply parking the bus and relying on anti-football. Dynamo Kiev went 3:0 against Atlético Madrid and famously trounced Barcelona in 1997 with aggregate of 7 goals while not letting a single one in.

2016-04-01_USSR_Formation.png

Naturally he favored the 4-4-2 shape, allowing for rapid transition from defensce to attack and vise versa. The classic 4-4-2 can collapse easily into a rigid set of 2 banks of 4 which can be near impenetrable and ruthless in regaining the ball and then rapidly moving it up to the strikers. The key here was having two quick and very creative playmaking strikers who could both create and finish their own chances. What also helped is having creative defenders who could ping long passes, bypassing the midfield, to the strikers.  One might argue that his teams were so successful because of the good fortune of some extraordinary striker duos like Igor Belanov and Oleh Protasov or Rebrov and Shevchenko. But would they have been as productive in another system? What we do know is that Lobanosky was almost obsessive when it came to developing young talent and getting the most potential out of every player that passed through the youth academy. He was not one to buy a 40 goalscorer when there was already a young kid in his reserve squad that needed more game time.

Stemming from his engineering academic background, Lobanovsky was a strict believer in analyzing data in a highly empirical way to improve his tactics and get the best out the players. By hiring a professor of Bioenergetics Anatoly Zelentsovin and statistician Mykhaylo Oshemko as his assistants, Lobanovsky took the idea of sports data gathering and analysis to a whole new level. Something that is taken for granted in modern football, but was revolutionary in late 1960s. With Oshemkov’s data in one hand and Zelentsov’s understanding of human physical potential in the other, he established lists of demands for each individual position on the field. Numbers and lengths of passes, completion rates, headers, numbers of shots, distances covered, possession and recycling were all optimized, quantified and turned in to a series of easily measured numerical targets. Like no one before, both on playing field and on the training ground, Lobanovsky tried to capture the elusive firefly of football as an artform and distill it into a science. After each game, Oshemkov’s data was posted in the locker room for everyone to see each player’s performance levels. There was nowhere for underperformers to hide, and no more room for selfish interest and instinct. Lobanovsky was not only one of greatest Ukrainian managers but probably the ideal Football Manager gamer long time before the advent of Championship Manager series.

But what if he had a son, in a spiritual sense that is?

lobanovksy.jpg

Next: Part 2, Introducing the squad

Edited by crusadertsar

1200px-FC_Dynamo_Kyiv_logo.svg.png

Part 2: Club DNA

The first question you might ask is what sort of player you will need to make Lobanovsky’s system, or indeed any kind of “gegenpressing” tactic, work. Primarily you want players with as much Stamina, Workrate and Determination as possible. I’m looking for something in 14-16 range ideally. As long as they are gifted in that trio, they will run their hearts out in whatever system you employ. It helps if you use fitting team instructions and roles to get the best out them (more on that later). Stamina and Workrate are wasted if they are not backed up by important Secondary set of attributes, Acceleration, Pace and Off the ball Movement and Positioning. It always helps to have them as high as possible but not as important as the first three. For my purposes, 13-14 should be enough, with higher values welcome for the strikers, wingers and wingbacks. Regarding offensive and defensive movement values, every player with exception of strikers needs to have good positioning. Even for the attacking wingers I would like at least average level of positioning. Most importantly, the wingbacks and defensive midfielders will need to be the most well rounded players on my team, as they will be running the whole length of the field and will need to be comfortable in both attack and defense. Those four players will embody the engine-room of my tactic.

So keeping those general guidelines in mind, you will see why I got rather excited after examining Dynamo’s first 11. Almost all the players fit in perfectly into my mold. Here and there I will need to make them improve some key attributes but overall they should have good enough physical and mental attributes to work well in the intense gegenpressing system.

Attack:

0D3AC79E315B0C3D8D2541569A63D196F606ADB6

In Artem Besedin we are gifted with one of the best young pressing forwards (former defensive forward role in fm2018) who still has good room to grow into a decent top league-level player. His stamina, workrate and determination are already excellent. So currently I’ll be training his off the ball movement, acceleration and pace as much as possible. Sub option: Sharapenko

687835226CCF1282FD7D5736B13C7BDECAC14507

Supporting Besedin from Secondary Striker or Advanced Midfield position (still undecided) is Buyalskyi, who is gifted with all the attributes I need from this role. A very well rounded player with outstanding balance and agility which I expect will make him into great Number 10 to Besedin. His subs: Kalitvintsev, Andriyevskyi, Duelund, and Bueno.

39CECFDF074C66DF0A488B708D7326EF0647D524

Cutting in from the wings are the two main Inside Forwards that I will be using this season. At the start Tsygankov and Verbic look like somewhat similar players but upon closer examination some key differences emerge. While they are both build like dynamic, physical attacking wingers. Verbic has already reached most of his potential and as it stands will be used as more of a supporting left inside forward, while Tsygankov’s full potential will hopefully be unlocked in a more aggressive role on the right. His technical and physical attributes are already excellent for his age and with room to grow, he should be able to fill all my requirements. He also has one of the best personalities for an attacking player; perfectionist. Subs: Duelund, Bueno

Midfield:

1F7E32CD1B564D3FBA00816E2142A58151769175

5C117233BCCC8DBA9B555DE436808DD89D25A357

What I like to call the “Engine Room” of the tactic.  The dynamic duo of Garmash and Sydorchuk will be doing an immense amount of running, pressing and getting in on the goal hopefully, so naturally they have to be the prototypical “posterboys” of any pressing system. They are relatively fast determined selfless players with loads of stamina and great workrate who are comfortable both in attack and defense. Both are very gifted in this sense and I could not have asked for better players. As added benefit, they are also the undisputed leaders of the team, Garmash as our captain and Sydorchuk as vice-captain. Subs: Shepelyev, Andriyevskyi and Tche Tche

Defense:

2C58713C7F12F4E97BBDE2C20C71DD889E8EAF56

WBs:    Tche Tche/Morozyuk and Pivaric/Sidcley – the dynamic fullback duo. These two players are going to be doing as much running as Garmash/Sydorchuk, if not more. My system will require them to cover both ends of their respective flanks in defense and offense, therefore its good that they are very well rounded hard-working players capable of playing on the wing as well as in the midfield.

CDs:     Nothing special here, ideally I would like players comfortable playing with the ball and possessing fair bit of acceleration and pace since we will be playing with high defensive line. That seems to be the case with most of my defenders as their attributes do not go lower than 12 in the key areas. For most of the games I expect to be using a pairing of Burda and Kadar, as a younger and more experienced player pairing. Hopefully Kadar will be a good role model for Burda who has the potential to develop into one of our best defenders.

Keeper:

518D553982ACC967340FDAD80C36B2724C082A03

Guarding the gate are Boyko and the rookie Makhankov, as his understudy and eventual replacement. Both will be playing in Sweeper Keeper (Attack) role to offset the high defensive line. Boyko is a good solid option for the league but nothing special attribute-wise. Keeper’s attributes are not as important to my system, since he will not be doing much running if the players in front of him perform like they should. Possible negative is Boyko's low acceleration and pace. Depending on his performance in first games, might start shopping for a replacement 

Next: Introducing the Tactic

Edited by crusadertsar

Part 3: Tactic

I was torn between two formations for my main pressing tactic, 4-2-3-1 and 4-5-1. In the end I ended up choosing 4-2-3-1 with 4-5-1 moving to my backup tactic when faced with superior sides in Champions League. Why did I not use Lobanovsky’s classic 4-4-2, you may ask? For one reason, I’ve used 4-4-2 extensively in both Fm 2017 and Fm 2018 and while I always had some success with it, I nevertheless noticed that Number 10 strikers never played as I wanted. No matter his role, he would not drop as much as I needed to link up the midfield and attack as well as AMC would. When I decided upon using DMs instead of MCs then I became convinced even further that I will need AMC in order to link up play better. I’m planning to play more of a natural striker than playmaker in that position, one who will not just pass the ball around but will also work hard to make late runs into penalty are.

The advantage of 4-2-3-1 is in having two players in the advanced wing positions to start closer to the opposition and to be able to press higher up. At the same time the inside forward roles will allow them to help out the central striker and his advanced midfield partner. Also for the purpose of counterpress, having 4 rows of players will allow them to absorb pressure more comfortably, using multiple layers to throw against opposition attack and then launch counterattacks. The attack which comes once the possession is won back by the aggressive midfield and defense, in turn unfolds in a much more direct fashion as sideways passes are limited when the ball is passed up to players who are already in advanced positions.

A5B6FE587E91FC4D27A09723B511F3A286374966

There are two key things that I need for my tactic to be effective. Firstly, whole team has to act as one cohesive tight unit in defense to stop the opponent’s attack before it gets deep into our half, and then to win the ball back aggressively and fast.  Secondly, they need to launch fast direct attacks to capitalize on the opponent’s disorganization in the wake of losing the ball while still staying as a compact, disciplined unit. The whole team has to run their socks off for 90 minutes, outlasting the opponent in fitness. The more tired the opponent gets while trying to keep up, the more mistakes they will make.

Key Team Instructions:

When out of possession, the team has to aggressively press the opposition high up the field, to win the ball back by tackling (but never diving into tackles as I want all the players to be able to quickly transition into attack when the ball is won) or by causing them to make mistakes. While doing this, I want my guys to remain disciplined and keep as close together as possible in order to intimidate and outnumber the opponent. Hence instructions needed to achieve this:

Much higher lines of engagement and defense– to give opponent as little time on the ball as possible

Narrow Defensive Width – to maintain he compact shape as much as possible

Much More Urgent Pressing Intensity – again not to let opponent keep the ball for too long

Tighter Marking – to limit space for opponent to act

Prevent Short GK Distribution – to force mistakes from GK

Staying on Feet – everybody needs to attack and defend as a unit. We cannot have players going to ground and having less bodies contributing in transition

When in Transition, I want my guys to counter immediately after a successful counterpress. The ball needs to up move up fast from defense without actually hoofing it. Hense "counterpress" and "counter" are ticked. While the Keeper needs to roll it out quickly to the centrebacks who are instructed to play out of defense with short passes

In Possession, I want my guys to stay as close together as possible to maintain that cohesive attacking unit in the middle. The only players providing width, should be the two marauding wingbacks, bombing up and down the field and stretching opponent's defenses to their limits.  On the other hand, to help with the central compactness, I have the following instructions: Narrow Attacking Width, Shorter Passing and More Disciplined

At the same time I want the team to move the ball up the field quickly and decisively. To this effect I employ Pass into Space, Much Higher Tempo and Drilled Crosses. To encourage my inside forwards to tuck in more into the middle to help with the press there and to allow the wingbacks to keep up with our fast attack, I have Overlapping on wings ticked.

Next: Testing the tactic and first results 

Edited by crusadertsar

Thank you for the positive feedback Ryan! I myself cannot wait to see where this series takes me. Probably through some highs and lows. But hopefully more people will discover Ukrainian football league through it. There's really some great football that's being played in Eastern Europe.

Edited by crusadertsar

Part 4: Tactical Crucible - First results

B066699AF4A98EF8CB276368B0295EC55319DDCA

It’s been a turbulent first trimester with Dynamo Kiev, as the team went through some highs and lows. A low that almost seems like a high, is the fact that we only had 1 loss domestically. That one came as a bit of a surprise, since it was not from my main title rival Shakhtar but from the less known Zorya. So far I’m 3rd in the league, despite winning 7, drawing 1 and losing 1. The draw was from Shakhtar, unsurprisingly. What is surprising though, is that the Ukrainian League is quiet competitive and not as easy as I expected. Having to face 2 other strong title competitors is not the same as a two horse race between me and the Donetsk Miners that I expected. Zorya looks to have had a very strong start which only seems to be getting better. I hoped that after losing its young star goalkeeper to Real Madrid during the summer it would not be as competitive. Yet, Zorya’s mostly Ukrainian squad has been performing admirably. I’ll have to prepare much better for my next games against them.

I’m proud to say that three of my stars of the season so far are homegrown Ukrainians. Besedin, Buyalskyi and Tsygankov have combined for over 25 goals. This deadly trio of Pressing Forward, Inside Forward and Advanced Midfielder has also been working hard on the field; running their socks off, tackling and intercepting the ball. As you can see the amount ground they covered has been phenomenal. And in my team this record can only be rivaled by the Double Pivot of Garmash and Sydorchuk. The wingbacks worked hard as well, as expected by the demands of my tactic. All these stats are showing that gegenpressing is working as it should. We are not only getting results, but more importantly getting them due to our hard work as a team.

013377669E2D2F7774CC0BA0B750F3DFCA2DBC2E966E7C7BEB5E5D0059E50AA727F46F13523850AE

As the above image shows, our squad is excelling in the distance covered per game, with majority contributing more than 10 km per game. Other key statistics, which I added to my custom "gegenpress" view are the amount of interceptions and tackles won by my defensive and offensive units. As expected, my midfielders and wingbacks have put in the best team performances which really allowed the forwards to thrive. On the right you can see the key attributes that I look for in my squad.

225E8E428C41135D642CAB5A6F888EA486A49911

Here are some of the highlights of the season so far. Domestically, we had some big results in the month of August, such as the 4-1 hammering of Chornomorets and 3-0 win over our city rivals, Arsenal Kiev. But our brightest moment has got to be the 5-1 demolishing of Shakhtar in Super Cup in our very first competitive game of the season. Its also our first trophy. I’m rather proud of this one as not only did we beat our league rival but we did it in a very convincing fashion. Historically this was Dynamo’s 2th biggest victory over its rival since 1938 start of the Classico Derby (Klasychne Derby) between them. Dynamo has only beat Shakhtar by 4 goals on one other occasion on May 25th 1952 with a score of 6-2.

08DCEB03AD9383741DD0DB101DE0035843224BE5

That followed week later by 4-1 win over the Belgian giants, Standard Liege in the Champions Qualifier. Unfortunately, our Champions League success came to an abrupt end at the end of August when we could not get past Benfica, losing on aggregate by one goal. The initial 0-2 loss at home was costly, since beating them 3-2 in Lisbon proved not enough to advance.

The Portuguese heartbreak was somewhat alleviated by the fact that we were not completely kicked out of continental competition, but instead moved over into Europa group stage where we probably have a much better chance of going deep. The first strong win (4-1) against Slavia Prague will hopefully give us enough momentum to get through Group H, which unfortunately also includes AC Milan. But before we have the test of Feyenoord. 

Next Part: More European adventures, and getting through the lows

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, fcdk said:

Hi,

Could you please upload screenshots of the best players in the Academy?

Thank you 

Hi! No problem. I can do that after work today. I was actually going to do a spotlight of some academy players in my next piece. So will try to post it earlier. Thank you for reading! Hope you are enjoying it

14 minutes ago, bianconeri96 said:

Very interesting thread. I have alway do a save with Dynamo Kiev on every FM opuses, but holding off at the moment since the players history is missing for season 17-18.

Hi bianconeri96 ! Always cool to meet a fellow Dynamo fan. I noticed that too but thought it was only Artem Besedin. Didn't realize it was everyone. I posted about in bug forum. You should too if you didn't yet. Hopefully SI will fix it in time for Nov 2. For the purpose of my save it doesn't matter as much though, as I'll be focusing on my youth academy, with hopefully some good Ukrainian regens coming through. My dream in every fm has been to see the next Shevchenko. One day :)

Edited by crusadertsar

Part 5: The Lows and The Future

Despite the positive start to the season, we had to contend with a bit of a crisis. Within a space of a month I’ve had 4 of my first team players receive long-term multi-months injuries.

7F172B9CF505B5992B5E7FE3FD36AEE37D8A9904

It’s a nightmare of every football manager, especially this early in the season, and could sometimes sound the death toll of a successful season. While it’s true that Kalitvintsev and Bueno only played a secondary role in my squad, they were still valuable rotation players. Bueno’s broken foot would sideline him well into the winter break, so I actually ended up releasing him shortly after taking this screenshot. It just didn’t make sense for me to pay his expensive loan fees to 2-3 months with no game time. I’m starting to regret more that I did not add anybody during the transfer window, rather choosing to stick with the starting squad for added challenge. After all, I am going with academy challenge for this save so I prefer to stay as true as possible to my goal of only developing my own players. But maybe in the future I’ll get one or two Ukrainians on loan just as extra reassurance. One player that I feel like I should have gotten on loan was Man City’s Oleksandr Zinchenko (who is currently languishing in RCD Espanyol). It’s a shame that such a great player is barely used there, when he could have been a valuable addition to my system. Maybe next season we could bring him in.

Anyway I digress. Of those 4 injuries, the two that were most disappointing were losing my star Advanced Midfielder Buyalskyi and Slovenian Left Winger Verbic. While Buyalskyi’s injury is more short term than Verbic’s, it is still devastating losing two players that are so essential to my tactic. Both had perfect attributes for it, and Buyalskyi even lost 2 points of stamina immediately because of injury. Well, that’s football and there is no going back. The best any manager can do in such situation is to reassess the rest of the squad and reserves and give younger players a chance to showcase their talent. Luckily for me, there happens to be a few such players in my reserves and youth academy who can potentially step it up for the benefit of the team.

While I have been integrating 3 of my highest rated youth prospects since August when I placed them in the first team squad to train with the veterans, now during the injury crisis is their chance to show what they learned over the last 3 months. So far, Eugene Smyrnyi has been a bit of a revelation.

CD55A70A097450542EA1CA4E28626587DB49875ED9792B9CB7F0981D208641F5F1E72C4990744476

While his current attributes might not show it, he already has the makings of a great winger equaling if not surpassing Verbic’s ability in a few years. He is only 20, but already is slowly making his way into the first squad, scoring 1 goal and assisting on 2 others in only 4 appearances. Also training with senior team are Supryaga and Tsitaishvili who are not far behind in terms of quality.

0B559180FF8E4E8EC893D3ECFE1AD6AD1283BCCFE0E3FFEE2B889F39FC6B94A69326B47EB6D8C801

Supryaga is a pure poacher type scorer with loads of potential and while he does not appear to fit into my system right now, I’m hoping that his mentals will develop further in order to merit him a spot in the lineup. Maybe a loan spell is needed in the future to help him get more experience. Nevertheless he already put in good performance in appearances this year. Tsitaishvili is a bit of a diamond in the rough, and while still far from cracking the first team, is one of our best rated youngsters. Speaking of youngsters, from the first look this has got to be one of the best teams that I have seen in terms of quality young talent under 21 y.o. There is a good prospect in almost every position, and although they might not be able to contribute to first team this season or even next season, their raw potential is undeniable.

354D502C4176600295392F9231F057A5B65F7CA820D8A24E09E85258C6BBC0E6700F9D449752579C7E67335A2AF0E594B17763084A2A8C7CF37C6CA2

So in Smyrnyi, we have a first rate example of how sometimes an injury crisis is not as bad as it appears and can instead be a catalyst that jumpstarts the development of a raw talent. One should never despair when faced with injuries in the squad. Its an inevitable part of footballing life which sometimes leads to unexpected and positive change. Instead we should resist our initial urge to reload the same, and instead play through the adversity and just see what happens. Embrace the changes as positive and live by the wise words of an anonymous philosopher, “something good always comes out of failure”. 

Edited by crusadertsar

• 2 weeks later...

Starting a Dynamo save. I will set myself the following limitations & goals:

Limitations : 

- sign Ukrainian staff only

- sign Ukrainian players wherever possible, sign free or cheap players only if no good Ukrainian options

- develop youth system

- create own tactics ( no downloaded tactic ). 

Goals :

- be domestic champions every year, with the aim to become European champion ( CL or EL ). 

- beat Lobanovskyi's club record :  13 domestic leagues, 9 national cups,  2 European cups, 1 UEFA super cup

22 hours ago, bianconeri96 said:

Starting a Dynamo save. I will set myself the following limitations & goals:

Limitations : 

- sign Ukrainian staff only

- sign Ukrainian players wherever possible, sign free or cheap players only if no good Ukrainian options

- develop youth system

- create own tactics ( no downloaded tactic ). 

Goals :

- be domestic champions every year, with the aim to become European champion ( CL or EL ). 

- beat Lobanovskyi's club record :  13 domestic leagues, 9 national cups,  2 European cups, 1 UEFA super cup

Good luck with the save! Hope you enjoy Dynamo as much as me. Those are some very doable goals. I like that last one especially ;) I think I might try for that one myself too. Very good idea overall. I find its always more rewarding to do a save with some clear limitations and objectives from beginning. You are actually better than me haha, since I couldn't resist to sign some good Italian coaches. Only one non-Ukrainian loan in one season though. I'll try to do the update for latter part of the season soon as I'm rather excited about my results and first youth intake.

Just have been busy adapting my posts for the Dictate the Game website where I'm the new writer. So you can also catch the better edited and formated pieces there with some additional content. I'll still be posting updates on here and more than happy to respond to comments and questions.

Anyway, Part 6 coming soon :)

Edited by crusadertsar

1st season 2018-19 :

Won the Super Cup against Shakhtar (2-2 on pens)

Finished 2nd with 66 pts , 11 pts behind them in Premier-Liha.

Lost in semis to Shakhtar in domestic cup (1-2)

Qualified for the CL group, finished 3rd ( PSG, Roma, Club Bruges ). 

Reversed in EL ( won 1st knockout round against Schalke, lost 2nd round to Bayer Leverkusen )

Starting XI :  4-1-4-1 formation                                                  Substitutes :

Besedin                                                                                             Keirrison

Buyalskyi - Garmash - Sydorchuk - Tsygankov                           Verbic - Shepelev - Neto Moura - Kalitvintsev

Chesnakov                                                                                          Pisek

Pivaric - Burda - Pantic - Morozyuk                                                  Sidcley - Kadar Okore - Kedziora

Boyko                                                                                              Lytvynenko

Edited by bianconeri96

2 hours ago, bianconeri96 said:

1st season 2018-19 :

Won the Super Cup against Shakhtar (2-2 on pens)

Finished 2nd with 66 pts , 11 pts behind them in Premier-Liha.

Lost in semis to Shakhtar in domestic cup (1-2)

Qualified for the CL group, finished 3rd ( PSG, Roma, Club Bruges ). 

Those some good results. Awesome that you will have Champions League football next season. And losing to Shakhtar just makes it more sweeter to beat them next year :) One of the best rivalries in football in my opinion. I haven't finished my season yet, still have a couple of games in playoffs left. Will be posting an update soon this week. 

How was your youth intake? I got some gems I'm excited to reveal in one f my next updates

Edited by crusadertsar

Part 6: Pressing on - Highlighting the Pressing Forward Role 

Now also Available on Dictate The Game

Johan Cruyff in action for the Netherlands during the 1974 World Cup

Last we left of at the end of September, and I was about to face Feyenoord in Euro Cup H Group. That much we won 2-1. Overall we did well in our group, coming in second place after AC Milan with 4 victories and 2 defeats all of them coming from the Italians. We just could not solve their 4-1-4-1 DM Wide formation with its pace on the wings and the rejuvenated Higuain leading the center. So despite advancing to Europa's First Knockout Stage, I have a feeling that we will run into Milan in later stages. But for now I am just happy to keep our European football run going.

So far Europa League has been a success, we knocked out both Ajax and Real Hispalis in First and Second Knockout Rounds. Our next opponent is none other than the newly upstart corporate giant RB Leipzig.  A tough opponent indeed as they are currently standing 2nd in the Bundesliga with a handful of games left. A foresee a very interesting aggregate series with them.  Our first game is on April 11 at Leipzig at Red Bull Arena.

B094D736248D50C6123ED555ADF21B55BA6C94A71D25A6B72EC4697A23011BAD2ABB11E82C717BA1

Despite the continental losses, we actually went on a significant run of good form, not losing a game in the league since November 4. We know stand on the cusp of the Championship playoffs, with the first match against our main rival Shakhtar on April 7, still undefeated. What pleases me even more is that we only conceded 3 goals in this 5 months long stretch between October and April. Overall we lead the group with 52 goals scored in 22 matches and only 7 of those came from set pieces. A big factor in those goals has been the hard work of my pressing forward, Artem Besedin.

AB01CB10241B86614D52A1B53FA928039274B5E0

I mean just to give you an idea how complete a player he is, I will break the fifth wall and fast forward into the future, to show you what he looks like in April. If you look closer at his stats, you can see 25 goals overall, 9 assists and 85% tackles completion rate. So what does he do to actually achieve these statistics?

My favourite player on this team by far. As the in-game description says, the pressing forward is becoming much more important in the modern game. More teams are trying to emulate the counterpressing or gegenpressing systems that brought success to teams like Dortmund, Liverpool, Athletico Madrid, RB Leipzig and Leicester. Throughout the season he has been the definition  of a pressing forward. That is a hard-working striker who will win the ball back in dangerous areas and quickly spearhead counterattacks – similarly to how Roberto Firmino works under Jurgen Klopp, Vardy at Leicester, Timo Werner in RB Leipzig or even Diego Costa at Atletico Madrid. Like these more celebrated players he works very hard not only to score goals himself but also to win tackles and interceptions in the midfield and assist his teammates on goals.

When Pressing Forward role was first introduced in FM 2019, many people thought it was just a renaming of the defensive forward role. And it is true, the role does act like defensive forward, who is tasked with putting pressure on the opponent’s defensive line, chasing down the man in possession, and any loose balls, and in general preventing the opposition defence from having any time on the ball. This is all true when you put him on support or defend. Where pressing forward shines and becomes a truly dynamic role is when he is on Attack duty. When set on Attack, he will not only press the backline and try to bring his teammates into play, but will try to score themselves while in possession. In other words, he turns into a super aggressive Complete Forward-type of player.

Due to his exceptional work rate and stamina, the pressing forward will often drop deep into the midfield and help the transition game, even more so than a deep-lying forward or false nine would. From there he will use his acceleration (a key attribute for the role) to get up the field into dangerous positions once the ball is won or he wins it himself (as Besedin often does). Here his good off the ball and acceleration help a lot. Even if he does not have the best technical attributes, he is often able to power his way towards goal through his shear physicality and mental strength. To illustrate this, Artem is not the best finisher (13) with average technique (12), first touch (10) and long shots (11) but his off the ball and acceleration are both 15. And workrate of 20 and 16 for stamina are what make him into one of the best Power Forwards under 23 y.o.

D8E28E5F81254B8B22A47750935A0C576226F736

As you can see from the heat map of a match where Besedin had one of his best performances, scoring a hat trick, he ironically spend more time in the midfield than near opponents penalty box. Yet clearly, his three goals were not long shots from 20 yards out; all three were from the box, real fox in the box efforts. In fact, the majority of the goals he scored this season akin to a poacher. They were the result of getting on the end of through balls, or whipped low crosses from the overlapping wing-back. Having a high strength and balance (both 15 in Artem’s case) also helps him to power his way through the more persistent defences where a more typical poacher probably would not be able to find the space needed to score. I can count the number of times where he just ran through 2 or 3 defenders before putting away that key goal.

Essentially, what makes an Attacking Pressing Forward, is having a player with the right combination of mental attributes (work rate, bravery, off the ball, determination, aggression, anticipation and teamwork) who is also fast and strong. He can essentially act like a dynamic hybrid of a hard-working poacher and false nine. A player who is just as comfortable creating scoring situations, forcing errors from stalwart “parked bus” defences and aiding his teammates in winning possession back just as he is finding open space to run onto the end of through pass. You cannot ask for a more complete forward in a total gfootball-type of system.

Finally, the beauty of a pressing forward is that if you do not already have a suitable striker, you can often retrain a midfielder or even a fullback with the right attributes. Its far more important to find mentally determined and aggressive hard working players with exceptional athleticism, rather the most technical finisher. Yussuf Poulsen at RB Leipzig, who is undeniably one of the best pressing forwards in the game, only possesses a measly 10 for finishing. His teammate Timo Werner, is only slightly better with 13. Three players who from the start can be turned into very good pressing forwards are Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (midfielder), Cardiff’s Callum Paterson (fullback), Benfica’s wonderkid Gedson Fernandes. Even Dortmund’s wonderkid Jacob Larsen has the potential to be great in this role. I see him as the next Kevin Volland. But I would love to hear from you. Who have you had success with playing (or retraining) in this role?

CwrfsSIXUAAxqZ_.jpg

Edited by crusadertsar

2nd season 2019-20 :

Won the Super Cup against Shakhtar (1-0).

Won the Premier-Liha, with 75 pts , 2 pts in front of Shakhtar.

Lost in QF to Shakhtar in the Ukrainian cup (0-1 ET).

Qualified for the CL group stage, finished 2nd ( Athletico Madrid, Eintracht Frankfurt, Club Bruges ), lost in 1st knockout round against Arsenal.

Starting XI :  4-1-4-1 formation                                                  Substitutes :

Besedin                                                                                           Boryachuk

Buyalskyi - Garmash - Sydorchuk - Tsygankov                        Petryak - Andrievskyi - Neto Moura - Kalitvintsev

Korzun                                                                                            Chesnakov

Pivaric - Burda - Kacharaba - Morozyuk                                       Sobol - Kadar - Pantic - Luchkevych

Boyko                                                                                                 Koval

Trophy cabinet Premier-Liha, 2 Super cup

Edited by bianconeri96

On 22/11/2018 at 01:57, crusadertsar said:

Finally, the beauty of a pressing forward is that if you do not already have a suitable striker, you can often retrain a midfielder or even a fullback with the right attributes. Its far more important to find mentally determined and aggressive hard working players with exceptional athleticism, rather the most technical finisher. Yussuf Poulsen at RB Leipzig, who is undeniably one of the best pressing forwards in the game, only possesses a measly 10 for finishing. His teammate Timo Werner, is only slightly better with 13. Three players who from the start can be turned into very good pressing forwards are Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (midfielder), Cardiff’s Callum Paterson (fullback), Benfica’s wonderkid Gedson Fernandes. Even Dortmund’s wonderkid Jacob Larsen has the potential to be great in this role. I see him as the next Kevin Volland. But I would love to hear from you. Who have you had success with playing (or retraining) in this role?

Really enjoyable thread, this.

As you're managing in Ukraine and the reading the importance of the pressing forward role to your tactic, thought it may be worth mentioning that Dnipro-1's young attacking midfielder Igor Kogut looks to have the combination of good potential and the attribute spread to be successfully retrained into a decent back-up(/maybe even successor?) to Besedin. Doesn't have the acceleration but otherwise, looks to have a good foundation to be moulded for the role.

Having read through this thread and this, alongside my pretty keen interest in the region's football, have convinced me to also start a save with Dynamo Kyiv. 

Always find that imposing certain limitations/stipulations creates a far more immersive and enjoyable FM experience so i'll be aiming to develop the existing players from the club's academy, as well as (hopefully) making use of the game's youth intake. For transfer activity, I will seek to sign either domestic players or those from the former Soviet Union, as the Dynamo sides I remember as a kid did  with the likes of Bialkevich/Khatskevich/Shatskikh/Kaladze/Demetradze/Verpakovskis complementing the Shevchenko/Rebrov/Vaschuk/Holovko/Shovkovskyi spine. I will occasionally augment this with the odd player from other eastern European nations, again as Dynamo did with the likes of Ninkovic/Cernat/Leko and continue to do so with Verbic/Kadar/Pivaric.

In terms of transfer targets, as mentioned above, the loan capture of Zinchenko would be a huge coup so i'll pursuing that deal, as well as looking at other talented young players fitting my brief such as Giorgi Arabidze, (perhaps ambitiously) Giorgi Chakvetadze, Roberts Veips and once his loan spell is over, Andrey Lunin. Any opportunity for Bayern Munich-style assertions of superiority in upsetting domestic rivals Shakhtar in snaring any of Kovalenko, Danchenko, Ordets or Rakitskiy will also be explored! There's also the question of whether I employ the editor to make Shakhtar's Mykhailo 'Ukrainian Neymar' Mudryk a high potential, long-term target; FM is yet to capture his potential but the 17 year-old recently debuted for the first team (exceptionally rare for a domestic attacking player) and he looks a huge talent.

All the club's South Americans will be immediately transfer listed and i'll go about developing the club's talented crop of first team youngsters, with Tsygankov the obvious pearl but Shaparenko and Shepelev also to feature regularly. Having watched the Ukrainian u-19s last summer, i'll also aim to integrate 3 players that impressed me during that tournament - Supryaga, Tsitaishvili and Buletsa. All 3 seem to have decent potential in FM with a few impressive hard-coded attributes but many random ones so i'll be hoping to be fortunate with their spread. In all honesty, Supryaga's high physical attributes harm his all-round game as the tariff on those stats ensures all his random stats are all too low for him to ever really be useful in FM - shame as he's arguably the biggest striking talent to emerge in Ukraine since Shevchenko...

Tactically, a possession-based 4-3-3 is pretty much my default style but personally, find that the current ME build militates against this. As such, a hard-pressing, hard-running 4-2-3-1 as outlined here is perhaps a better option, especially as Dynamo's squad seems particularly suited to it. Long-term, a fluid, highly-technical front 3 of Arabidze, Chakvetadze and Tsygankov is the dream but initially, a more orthodox striker (Besedin) will be needed.

Anyway, I'll post updates as things develop...

4 hours ago, fidelitywars said:

Really enjoyable thread, this.

As you're managing in Ukraine and the reading the importance of the pressing forward role to your tactic, thought it may be worth mentioning that Dnipro-1's young attacking midfielder Igor Kogut looks to have the combination of good potential and the attribute spread to be successfully retrained into a decent back-up(/maybe even successor?) to Besedin. Doesn't have the acceleration but otherwise, looks to have a good foundation to be moulded for the role. 

Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback, fidelitywars. I'll be sure to look at Igor Kogut during the summer as I organize my squad for next season. I hope he is available since I don't think Dnipro is playable in my save, they start out in regional division which is not included in the default database. Also Zinchenko and Lunin will be likely loan targets for me over the summer too.

Since you mentioned it Sharapenko, Supryaga and Tsitaishvili developed very well for me. Smyrniy too. I'll post some screens of them soon.

28 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback, fidelitywars. I'll be sure to look at Igor Kogut during the summer as I organize my squad for next season. I hope he is available since I don't think Dnipro is playable in my save, they start out in regional division which is not included in the default database. Also Zinchenko and Lunin will be likely loan targets for me over the summer too.

Since you mentioned it Sharapenko, Supryaga and Tsitaishvili developed very well for me. Smyrniy too. I'll post some screens of them soon.

No problem - hope that Kogut is available and fits your needs; at game's start, he's 22 and has 13 or above for aggression, determination, workrate, bravery, finishing, off the ball, composure, teamwork, pace, natural fitness, jumping, stamina & strength. 

Good to hear that the club's youngsters are developing well. How is Buletsa looking? He's a player I really like IRL; a clever playmaker with good technique but strangely, is yet to make his senior debut for Dynamo despite approaching his 20th birthday. Was linked with Fenerbahce over the summer after his performances for Ukraine's u19s. One i'll be looking to give minutes to whenever possible.

On 23/11/2018 at 11:07, fidelitywars said:

No problem - hope that Kogut is available and fits your needs; at game's start, he's 22 and has 13 or above for aggression, determination, workrate, bravery, finishing, off the ball, composure, teamwork, pace, natural fitness, jumping, stamina & strength. 

Good to hear that the club's youngsters are developing well. How is Buletsa looking? He's a player I really like IRL; a clever playmaker with good technique but strangely, is yet to make his senior debut for Dynamo despite approaching his 20th birthday. Was linked with Fenerbahce over the summer after his performances for Ukraine's u19s. One i'll be looking to give minutes to whenever possible.

Unfortunately Buletsa has not developed all that well. This is him at the of the season. I feel a bit guilty because I did not promote him because my other youngsters looked more ready for first team. So hoping that a loan next season will jumpstart his development.

8BF82184036844D955A574ACED7CEE6FEBE37909

And I found Kogut! He looks great backup to Besedin attributewise. Might need to learn striker position or I maybe just take the decision making hit and save some of his CA instead of wasting it on getting accomplished in a new position. Interestingly, Dnipro is in my game although it a new club, it lost all of its history. Is it the same Dnipro that got to Europa final in 2015? If yes, what exactly happened to them. Havent been following them unlike Dynamo or Karpaty Lviv. 

Also, looking forward to more updates of your season. Curious how your 4-3-3 works out, or if you end up trying 4-2-3-1. Its been consistent for me. But I'm always looking for other tactical ideas. Cheers!

Edited by crusadertsar

Hello everyone. Again thanks to crusadertsar for his great posts. Also, cheers to bianconeri96 who, I assume, not just fellow Dynamo lover but also fellow Juventus lover :)

I've finally completed my first Dynamo season and decided to share my experience. Not only my philosophy but also the main source of my game enjoyment is Marotta-style bargain transfers so I've decided to stick to this strategy. But as I've recognised that Dynamo's young lads have a great potential and thus they should be given more playing time I've refused to sign free oldies-but-goldies (recall Pirlo to Juventus move) and signed players when they're both cheap and have some future perspective. Such philosophy forced me to completely disband the current scouting team as not sufficient for my goals.

Regarding formation, I've decided to stick with 3-1-4-2 as a primary formation. My thinking is that Dynamo has a lot of quality midfielders and not so many good defenders, so I'll sacrifice 4th defender to gain an advantage in a midfield. Also, that system forced me to seek for some interesting variations in attack such as Tsygankov, Shaparenko or even Garmash as supportive forward. In case I faced stronger opposition or wanted to secure my lead with some Allegri style-pragmatism I switched to 3-2-3-2. And in some cases, I wanted to put event more attacking pressure on my opponent which was the case for Premier League quite often I've switched to 3-4-3 wide to give a possibility for Verbic and Tsygankov to play at more suitable positions.

Such system showed quite humble results I believe but I'm still optimistic about team potential.

PL: 2nd place with humble 62 points, secured my 2nd place 3 games in advance.

Ukrainian Cup: Eliminated in 1/4 final by Kolos Kovalivka. Quite shameful even taking into account the fact that I've used my reserves for this affair. Although I've been to Kovalivka once and it's a pretty sweet place so no wonder their team does quite well IRL too (they're in the top part of the First League now) AFAIK

Champions League: Eliminated in qualification by Benfica losing away game 1-0 and winning home leg by 2-1 which was apparently not enough

Europa League: Eliminated in the second knockout round by Eintracht Frankfurt

I've employed rotation quite often so it's hard to name my starting eleven but the median looks as follows:

Boyko - Kedziora, Burda, Patric (bought from Lazio for 2.9$M) - Sydorchuk - Tsygankov, Garmash, Buyalskiy, Verbic - Besedin, Supryaga

And reservers:

Bushchan - Kadar, Pantic, Korzun (returned back from the loan) - Shepelev - Morozyuk, Duelund, Tche-Tche, Sidcley  - Carrera (Free transfer from Union Espanola), Shaparenko

Also, I gave some chances to Mykolenko and Tsitiashvilli who used them quite well (except Kolos game ) and later were loaned to Premier League clubs.

Supryaga benefited from my system the most becoming club's top goalscorer (18 goals) and the player with top-rating. Tsygankov became the top assistant, although it seemed like he struggled at the beginning of the season with his more defensive duties.

Thank you @CrazyTacooo for the excellent detailed post. It's inspiring to see the passion you have for Dynamo and for Juventus and it's cool how you can combine the two in this save. I'm interested to read more about Marrota style system and how your two tactics work out because we seem to be using different approaches with similar results. I also lost to Benfica on aggregate despite winning there away. So don't feel so bad about that one. And we came in 2nd to Shakhtar at the end of the season :) I'll write more about that in my next update. Also I'm glad to see that this thread is developing how I wished, as open discussion of Dynamo as more stories come in. 

PS: I'm a huge fan of Italian Serie A too. Although I follow AS Roma :p

Edited by crusadertsar

I'm glad that you've enjoyed my response. 

Basically, Marotta is famous for his free-agent signings (recall Pirlo, Pogba, Khedira) and some cheap bargains such as Vidal (12M), Tevez (9M), Barzagli (300k). Those are not always young players as you can see but they fit in a club system quite well. I've employed a similar approach with signing Patric and Carrera.

Regarding approach to youngsters, they're rarely given a chance as the immediate result is favoured and young players usually develop through loans. That was a case for Rusyn, Mykolenko and Tsitiashvilli who were loaned to Premier League clubs altogether with the bunch of already loaned players.

The main sources of income seen to be prize earning and wise spending policy. Selling players was never seen as a way to sustain financial well being with players being sold only if they don't fit into the club system or they were asking for the move. Same for my Dynamo as well. Although no clubs have approached me to sell my first team members

My tactics brought me to 55-23 goal difference over 32 games in PL which I think is quite modest attacking figures with most of the successful attacks developing over the flanks. Also, 3-2-3-2 seems to be quite effective against Shakhtar with 3 winds, 1 draw and 1 loss over the course of the season. 

@CrazyTacooo Thanks for the tip. I think I'll have to create a variation of 3-2-3-2 for the games against Shakhtar as I haven't been doing well against them in latter part of the season. I've had two reds while playing against them and lost both games :( On the bright side this really makes our rivalry that much more intense and will make for some exciting games next season

Edited by crusadertsar

Still in my 3rd season, but have put the save on hold , and the game too, as the current tactic system and AI do not work too well. I saw it's been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Short passing - possession football with a lonely striker allows a lot of possession and clear scoring chances but somehow you can't score. Opponents  just play all behind the ball in their last 1/3, stopping all shots, and the GK makes fantastic saves all along.  And very often, they would score with only 1-2 chances.

As for Bianconeri96, this is about the other Black & Whites, Udinese Calcio, founded in 1896  ;-)

Hope you enjoy your saves.

Edited by bianconeri96

On 02/12/2018 at 15:10, bianconeri96 said:

Short passing - possession football with a lonely striker allows a lot of possession and clear scoring chances but somehow you can't score. Opponents  just play all behind the ball in their last 1/3, stopping all shots, and the GK makes fantastic saves all along.  And very often, they would score with only 1-2 chances.

It's too bad that you had to put your save on hold. But are you sure it's a bug. It sounds to me like it's how short passing possession football has always worked. The point is to control possession and not to score lots of goals. Especially with a supporting striker like false nine as in most possession system. To score more goals you probably need something more direct like 4-4-2.

I see your point, but it is not just about passing the ball around like some teams would do.

By setting up such tactic for a dominant team such as Dynamo in its league, not only you dominate the game, possess the ball for +65/70% of the time, but you also create a lot of shots, +30 per match. Unfortunately sometimes you may just get only 1 goal out of these, sometimes you might end up getting beaten 0-1 on the opposition's unique chance. It looks a little unrealistic to me. Besedin in 16 matches played got a meagre total of 6 goals, and adjusting his role did not make much difference.

I think it's the ratio shots / shots on goals against goals that do not look right. This is something that was also an issue in previous versions, and is being mentioned there and  there for FM19 on the forum. On a different save I tested a 442, pretty basic, and it seemed to be much more efficient, less shots but more goals.

I have started a new save with Dynamo, with again a 4141 but less prone to dominate and press. I'll give it a try. I kept my previous save and will compare goals scored.

What would be the best tactic according to you for Dynamo at the start of a save, to line up and optimise the Ukrainian talent at hand?

@bianconeri96 that was quite unexpected to know that you're Udinese tifoso. Still, I hope you'll resolve your tactical problems :)

Also, thanks to @crusadertsar for a hint regarding having more affiliated clubs. Domestic clubs don't always loan my young players out to the extent I would like them to so I will consider this opportunity as well.

As for me not much changed tactical wise so I'll just leave here a brief summary of my results for the 2nd season:

Champions League: Infamous 4th place in a group of Atletico Madrid, Porto and Olympique Marseille

Ukrainian Cup: Eliminated in 1/2 final against Shakhtar

Premier league proved to be quite dramatic. Teams went to winter break with Shakhtar advancing 5 points, but during spring I've managed to reduce the gap so when 2 games left until the end of the season both teams had an equal number of points. In the 31st game of the season, Shakhtar couldn't put up with a pressure and lost it's game while I've gained a crucial 3 point advantage before last game with... Shakhtar. So in a deciding game of the season, I've secured my championship with 0-0 draw employing my 3-2-3-2 defensive tactic. 

My squad (again not very accurate due to excessive rotation):

Koval - Boyata (free agent from Celtic), Korzun, Burda - Shepelev - Sidcley, Gramash, Buyalskiy, Tsygankov - Supryaga, Besedin

Reserves:

Boyko - Kedziora, Patric, Tymchyk (returned from loan) - Sydorchuk - Petryak (free agent from Shakhtar), Tche-Tche, Kalitvintsev, Morozuyk - Shaparenko, Carrera

Individual notes:

This season Besedin has adapted himself to a position of supportive forward becoming top league goalscorer. 

Best average rating and best assistant - Morozyuk. Although I've named Tsygankov as the first team player Morozuyk still had his fair share of games in Premier League where he had enough quality to prove himself really excellent on a position of right midfielder. Also, I have to admit that Tsygankov was quite injury prone this season constantly suffering from low term injury blows.

Another fun fact is that I've tried Shaparenko both as supportive forward and midfielder and he quite counterintuitively scored more goals being a midfielder :)

@bianconeri96 I think to optimize the talent at the start, 4-1-4-1 or maybe 4-3-3 is probably ideal. Dynamo is rich with midfield talent and those formations probably will get the best out of them. I know I chose a 4-2-3-1 DM due to its high pressing advantages, for my save but in retrospect those 2 formations are also great for pressing and dominating the midfield. 

@CrazyTacooo Funny that you mention it, Shaparenko is such a great versatile player, I should probably do a highlight post just on him. Plays a secondary striker for me and scored quite a few in second season already. Great guy in real life too. 

• 5 weeks later...

Здравствуйте, не могли бы Вы сбросить файл готовой тактики Вашего Динамо Киев, я пока только учусь играть, не все тактические изъяны мне понятны полностью?

Edited by Djespo

On 16/01/2019 at 04:10, Djespo said:

Здравствуйте, не могли бы Вы сбросить файл готовой тактики Вашего Динамо Киев, я пока только учусь играть, не все тактические изъяны мне понятны полностью?

Привет! Спасибо што прочитал. Я как раз делаю некоторую большую  модификацию в тактике. Я поставлю ей на моей сайте www.dictatethegame.com

после настройки. Будет намного лучше с последним пачем. Посмотри там через неделю или две.

Edited by crusadertsar

я просто большой поклонник Лобановского и того, что он сделал для мирового футбола, спасибо большое за любопытную историю, я играю за Российский клуб Краснодар и использую Ваши наработки, поэтому хотел бы попробовать Вашу тактику, а когда научусь пользоваться редактором тактик, может быть и усовершенствую Ваши наработки.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long break guys. I was distracted by other projects. But finally the continuation of my Dynamo Kyiv save is in the thread above. In this thread I discuss my tactical planning during summer break before starting my 3rd season with Dynamo. Part 2: Transition and Midfield is coming soon!

Edited by crusadertsar

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, LPQR said:

I have no idea how I have discovered this only now but it's absolutely fantastic @crusadertsar

Privet from a neighbor Moldovan and a fellow Juve fan :)

Spacibo :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately I have neglected this thread as I did a bunch of tactical spinoffs. I definitely need to do a future season update. If you are interested in reading more about my Dynamo save you can find it over on the tactical side of the forum. Cheers!