FM19 - The Head Coach (The Journeyman with a twist)

coady

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 1 of my new FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

Today, we look for our first new club of the series as an unemployed manager, before meeting a new club for the first time once we receive a job offer! Check it out below:-

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

Thanks for watching!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time to play my first match in this FM19 Head Coach series. After being offered my first job yesterday and meeting the squad for the first time, today we meet our director of football for the first time and assess his work over the summer! We also play our first game of the league season. Check it out below:-

Thanks for watching as always! Remember to subscribe to the channel for daily football manager content from my two long term FM19 saves.

Glad this is up and running. What a goal from Jarvis! As I mentioned on last year’s forum I am starting a Journeyman save as Slough when the full version comes out, could you keep me posted on any interview offers you get along the way without applying? Look forward to the Torquay Billericay double header 

17 hours ago, Romers said:

Glad this is up and running. What a goal from Jarvis! As I mentioned on last year’s forum I am starting a Journeyman save as Slough when the full version comes out, could you keep me posted on any interview offers you get along the way without applying? Look forward to the Torquay Billericay double header 

Will do, though the number will depend heavily on whether I can get anything out of all these 35+ aged players. I'm not looking forward to the double header, as I'm very pessimistic about it! :lol:

Season 1 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. Today we play a big double header against the two promotion favourites, Torquay & moneybags Billericay. Can we spring a surprise against one of the big boys to avoid dropping into the relegation zone? Check it out below or by clicking here:-

Thanks for watching as always. If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

Tough start! Players clearly not good enough. Question from me would be if they’re struggling in this tactic and it’s not one you would usually play why not switch to a style you know better even if it doesn’t suit them on paper? At least then you’re doing it your way

3 hours ago, Romers said:

Tough start! Players clearly not good enough. Question from me would be if they’re struggling in this tactic and it’s not one you would usually play why not switch to a style you know better even if it doesn’t suit them on paper? At least then you’re doing it your way

I've thought about it, but not sure I'll get enough time to implement it, unfortunately. I'll learn my lesson from this one though!

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

Today, we try to produce some FA Cup magic against Boreham Wood, as we edge closer to being sacked!

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

Thanks for watching!

No!! How dare you get sacked, I’m relying on you to help me plan out my Slough save starting next Friday! 😂 All joking apart tough break! Back your philosophy at your new club, play the way you want to play not the way you feel you have to!

18 hours ago, Romers said:

No!! How dare you get sacked, I’m relying on you to help me plan out my Slough save starting next Friday! 😂 All joking apart tough break! Back your philosophy at your new club, play the way you want to play not the way you feel you have to!

That's the plan, may be tough at the new club though. Today's episode will reveal all!

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we try to find a new club after being sacked by Hemel Hempstead.

Thanks for watching!

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

This is my favourite thing as I await the full game. I always do a one-club lowest-league academy challenge career but I might try to emulate you this time and see how it goes. :thup:

Glad it's enjoyable! I always find it a good save, as there's so much variety & many different people to rely on. It always keeps it interesting!

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 6 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status!

Today, we play our first two games at Dungannon Swifts in the NIPL, with a big reunion from my FM18 'Head Coach' story in the second game.

Thanks for watching!

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

To go from failed lower league journeyman to a premier league with possible rapid trophies and entry into Europe in one easy move was not what I was expecting!

Surprised me just as much! I was expecting a relegation struggler in the same leagues or a lower Welsh side. I've got lucky with this one and a pay rise too!

Just a heads-up - as anyone who's ever worked with me will tell ya, I'm rubbish at following other people's rules and systems no matter how good they are. I just have to do my own thing. So I'll nick all your best ideas and twist them around, and start a thread in this suitably anarchic FM Career Updates forum. I think it'll be a Lowest-League Journeyman Head Coach career like you but in my bespoke multi-national league pyramid. I'm not sure whether to take a few days to tinker with the new stuff in FM19 (don't have the beta) or just throw myself straight in. 

Quick questions though - the DoF - do you advertise for him at the start of your save or will you use the pre-game editor to add him? And how about a Head of Youth Development? In FM19 if you have naff all facilities, do you still get a youth intake, and if so does the DoF decide who to keep and dish out contracts?

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Just a heads-up - as anyone who's ever worked with me will tell ya, I'm rubbish at following other people's rules and systems no matter how good they are. I just have to do my own thing. So I'll nick all your best ideas and twist them around, and start a thread in this suitably anarchic FM Career Updates forum. I think it'll be a Lowest-League Journeyman Head Coach career like you but in my bespoke multi-national league pyramid. I'm not sure whether to take a few days to tinker with the new stuff in FM19 (don't have the beta) or just throw myself straight in. 

Quick questions though - the DoF - do you advertise for him at the start of your save or will you use the pre-game editor to add him? And how about a Head of Youth Development? In FM19 if you have naff all facilities, do you still get a youth intake, and if so does the DoF decide who to keep and dish out contracts?

Sounds good :thup:. For my DoF, as soon as I join a club I set staff responsibility for 'hiring & firing DOF' to the Chairman. Keeps it more realistic & challenging for me. Then even if you get a good one the chairman might change it out of the blue!

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 7 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

Today, we review our Director of football's work in the January transfer window & play a massive cup game against last season's champions Crusaders. Can we pull off a shock?

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

Today it's one of those special days, as we receive the magical 'Golden Generation' Youth Intake. We also continue our cup run!

Thanks for watching!

14 hours ago, coady said:

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 8 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

Today it's one of those special days, as we receive the magical 'Golden Generation' Youth Intake. We also continue our cup run!

Fantastic stuff as always. Sorry for the delay - my internet's been down for hours - happens a lot out here. I'm so inspired by this series that I'm attempting my own Journeyman Head Coach career in a new thread on this very site. I'm still in pre-season figuring out my squad and tactics, but one question I'm not clear on. I got a Director of Football on day one - the legend that is Pat Nevin no less, but how exactly do I use him for this challenge. I've got him set to control everything, but he still brings me players for a final say. Do I just ignore that and wait for him to go ahead and sign players anyway, or should I be responding to him? I'm also in desperate need of a DM - do I hint to him to find one or just hope he sees the need without a word from me?

Cheers muchly  :onmehead:   :thup:

Fantastic stuff as always. Sorry for the delay - my internet's been down for hours - happens a lot out here. I'm so inspired by this series that I'm attempting my own Journeyman Head Coach career in a new thread on this very site. I'm still in pre-season figuring out my squad and tactics, but one question I'm not clear on. I got a Director of Football on day one - the legend that is Pat Nevin no less, but how exactly do I use him for this challenge. I've got him set to control everything, but he still brings me players for a final say. Do I just ignore that and wait for him to go ahead and sign players anyway, or should I be responding to him? I'm also in desperate need of a DM - do I hint to him to find one or just hope he sees the need without a word from me?

Cheers muchly  :onmehead:   :thup:

In the staff responsibilities, I make sure 'finalises first team signings' & 'finalises youth (or something similar) signings' are both set to him, then I very rarely get asked anything.

Re players, in mine I don't hint & if he doesn't fins me one I have to adapt. But I think people have varying levels of strictness in regard to this element (I just choose to be the strictest possible on my save). :thup:

1 hour ago, coady said:

In the staff responsibilities, I make sure 'finalises first team signings' & 'finalises youth (or something similar) signings' are both set to him, then I very rarely get asked anything.

Re players, in mine I don't hint & if he doesn't fins me one I have to adapt. But I think people have varying levels of strictness in regard to this element (I just choose to be the strictest possible on my save). :thup:

I've selected those. So if I ignore his scout meetings, he does seem to proactively bring in some players anyway, so I think we're good. He incomings do vastly improve the squad, too.

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 9 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

In this episode we face some defining moments in the season & this story, as we fight for our job in a big relegation 6 pointer & a massive cup semi final against Larne!

Thanks for watching!

A massive thanks to everyone that's watched the series so far and helped it reach over 5,000 views before we've even finished our whirlwind first season! (I certainly didn't expect that!). We'll be back at 4.30pm today for the big finale to Season 1, where hopefully we can finish an eventful season in style.

Thanks again for watching, Subscribe to my YouTube channel for daily FM19 content from two stories. :thup:

Welcome to Season 1 Episode 10 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

In this season finale, we finish a whirlwind season full of struggle in style, as we play in the Northern Irish Cup Final against Ballymena United. Will we be able to earn a new contract at the club?

Thanks for watching!

Aaarrrghhh!!! Antici .......

.......pation   :D

Reminds me of what happened to me this summer (in real life). My contract was due to end and they wouldn't give me any clue if they were giving me a new one or not. I didn't know whether to be applying for a new job or not. At the last minute they did stick a contract under my nose but by that time I was long pi55ed off and told them to shove it! Got a better job now :)

You absolutely deserve to stay with the Swifts and build on your good work. Best of luck  :thup:

I'd like to stay, especially now we've got such a strong youth team (and I've got the hang of the mentoring groups). I think if they gave me 2 more years the second would be brilliant. As you say, there will come a point I'll have to start looking and applying. Hopefully they won't sack me like Hemel did!

Season 2 of this Head Coach story will begin today at 4.30pm. We'll find out if we're still at Dungannon Swifts, see what squad our DoF has left us with for the new season (at whichever club we're at) & play the first competitive game of the season.

A big thanks to everyone that's followed the series so far. If you haven't seen any of this story yet, click the episode links in the above posts to catch up. :thup:

Thanks for watching!

Welcome to Season 2 Episode 1 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! 

In this episode we discover if Dungannon Swifts offered us a new contract or if we're on the move again. We also assess our Director of Football's summer business & play our first game of the new season! At which club will this all take place?

Thanks for watching!

Thrilling stuff! How serious are you about the DoF's low Determination resulting in not bringing in so many players?  

What I do on Day One before even clicking the first 'welcome' news screen is go to Staff Search and grab the first 2 mugs for DoF and HoYD, plus an AssMan if I haven't inherited one. But if I was to be choosy, what attributes are the key ones?

Thrilling stuff! How serious are you about the DoF's low Determination resulting in not bringing in so many players?  

What I do on Day One before even clicking the first 'welcome' news screen is go to Staff Search and grab the first 2 mugs for DoF and HoYD, plus an AssMan if I haven't inherited one. But if I was to be choosy, what attributes are the key ones?

I've always assumed Determination is essential to how hard they work to get players in/deals done. Judgement obviously affects the quality of players they provide at times, then for HoYD personality is so important. As you saw with Dungannon, nearly all of the intake players had the same poor personality as the HoYD.

In The Head Coach I don't get the say in this, but in my other story, they're always the key things I look at when going through the applications we receive at Torquay!

3 minutes ago, coady said:

In The Head Coach I don't get the say in this

In most of my ridiculously low league campaigns, at the start there's just me and the chairman - plus an assman if I'm very lucky. So how do you acquire a DoF? Does he automatically nab a HoYD if you don't ask for one? Does the HoYD do anything at all other than sort out the youth intake?

32 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

In most of my ridiculously low league campaigns, at the start there's just me and the chairman - plus an assman if I'm very lucky. So how do you acquire a DoF? Does he automatically nab a HoYD if you don't ask for one? Does the HoYD do anything at all other than sort out the youth intake?

For The Head Coach - In staff responsibilities I set Chairman to Hire/Fire DOF. Once DOF joins, I set hiring/firing all other staff groups to his responsibility. However, the Chairman always keeps responsibility to hire/fire DOF. I set the responsibility for deciding whether or not to offer new contracts to DOF/all staff to the same people, to ensure I cannot influence things.

For Part of the Furniture - All job Adverts for senior staff. I'll then glance through the candidates and pick the best of the applicants (I think that's probably more realistic for lower/non-league football).

Welcome to Season 2 Episode 2 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. Today, we play a big double header against Larne & Linfield, as well as reviewing our DoF's last minute panic signings at the end of the summer transfer window!

Thanks for watching!

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

I discovered this thread yesterday and have been watching the series on my TV since.  Very good watch and I enjoy your style.  :thup:

I will watch your Torquay save next.

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :thup:

Welcome to Season 2 Episode 3 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we try to pull away from a relegation battle with a crucial game against fellow strugglers Warrenpoint at home.

A massive thanks for watching as always!

There are a couple of shorter & very different episodes coming from my FM19 story, The Head Coach, in the next few days. We look at some different elements of FM19, which is largely enforced by our current club Dungannon Swifts.

A massive thanks for giving the series a try & I hope you join me on Saturday at 4.30pm for the next episode of The Head Coach.:thup:

2 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Still at Dungannon?  I take it you didn't get the Halifax job.  :(

I am at the start of the episode, I wouldn't rule any options out yet! Just a very bizarre/dramatic few episodes coming up in both saves. 

Welcome to Season 2 Episode 4 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we explore some slightly different areas of Football Manager, which is largely enforced by Dungannon Swifts. Will we be sacked before the episode ends?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. We'll also have a brand new video from FIFA 19 Career Mode every Friday! :onmehead:

Thanks for watching!

Loved that. It's all new to as since before I followed your challenge I'd always been a one-man-club.

Clearly your time at Dungannon is Swiftly coming to an end. Either one of those two options would be a considerable (if undeserved?) step up. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Lovely pun! :lol: Based on expectations it's definitely not deserved, I firmly believe Dungannon will be much better next season for the development of the youth players (at least half of them have balanced or better personalities now too, as well as game experience). I'm hoping for either Crusaders or ideally a move back to England, so I can finally get this career off and running. Either way, a realistic board would be much appreciated!

Welcome to Season 2 Episode 5 of my FM19 story, The Head Coach. This is a LLM Journeyman story with a twist, as we work under a director of football with the players/staff we're given at every club on our road from non league to legendary status! Today, we're unemployed again and look for our third job of the series. Could we be on our way back to England?

If you enjoyed this episode, LIKE the video & SUBSCRIBE to the channel for daily FM19 content. New episodes of FM19 The Head Coach on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday at 4.30pm, with new content from my other FM19 story, Part of the Furniture, on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday. New FIFA 19 Career Mode video every Friday at the same time.

Thanks for watching!

Archived