FM19 Tactical Changes

25 minutes ago, coolestrock said:

ive just downloaded the demo , in 2018 you could go from structured to fluid but using a similar command to changing contain to overload , where is that command now ?? how do i go from a fluid shape to a structured in one instruction ?

Team shape is removed in FM19. It's gone. Unfortunately or fortunately, depends on whom you ask :onmehead:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, coolestrock said:

Thanks guys , i got all confused mid game, i sat for about 10 minutes trying to find it :D , i must admit i did like the opportunity to change it myself so its a shame its gone , its going to be interesting changing the duties mid game to see what difference it makes 

As a rule of thumb: more support duties = more players involved in transitions = more team fluidity (and vice versa for more structured "fluidity"). 

Just now, coolestrock said:

Thats what confused me , i noticed if i put more players to a more attacking duty then the more structured it became , i always had it in my head more attacking duties meant more fluid team shape , what ive noticed from playing half a season on the demo is i have changed the duties more often during matches on FM 2019  than i did on FM 2018 

Team shape in FM18 and team fluidity in FM19 are not the same, though there is some correlation. In FM18, when you select a more fluid shape, the difference in mentalities of players having different duties is smaller than in more structured shapes. So, attack duties are less attacking and defend duties are less defending with fluid team shapes than they are with structured ones. For example, in the most structured shape, if a player with defend duty has mentality of 3, his teammate with attack duty will have, say, 15 or so. Conversely, in the most fluid shape, if defend duty has mentality of 5, attack duty should be around 10 (roughly). 

On 29/10/2018 at 17:37, Experienced Defender said:

Well, that's already defined by your d-line setting (lower, standard, higher). And of course, the mentality additionally affects this (just like almost everything else).

I thought the d-line setting affected the line out of possession only. You sure about this?

1 hour ago, ceefax the cat said:

I thought the d-line setting affected the line out of possession only. You sure about this?

Yes. It affects the positioning of d-line both in and out of possession. When in possession, with a higher d-line your defenders will look to move proportionally higher up the pitch, and that's why playing with a higher line carries the risk of opposition counter-attacks via quick through balls behind your defence. When out of possession, they will again look to remain proportionally higher and start pressing earlier than with a deeper setting. I guess that in FM19 the latter is also affected by the pressing urgency setting, but I am still playing FM18 so cannot tell you for sure.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

When out of possession, they will again look to remain proportionally higher and start pressing earlier than with a deeper setting.

I believe pressing begins from where the line of engagement is set.  The forwards press from that point onwards.

1 minute ago, Robson 07 said:

I believe pressing begins from where the line of engagement is set.  The forwards press from that point onwards.

Yes, forwards start pressing where the LOE is set, but we were talking about defenders. With a higher d-line they tend to start pressing earlier and a bit more aggressively than when it's deeper.

I've come to the new game from 2017. I love the changes to the tactics screen, especially the tactical presets.  

I’ve been trying to replicate my favourite tactic from the previous game and one thing I’ve noticed is that the default tactical presets seem to have a lot of team instructions.

So, for instance, for my possession based 532 I usually had the following instructions chosen; shorter passing, press more, roam from positions, with a standard mentality and fluid passing. 

In 2019, I’m currently using the tiki taka one and it seems to have a lot more than I used.

I’ve read a lot of advice when setting up a tactic on previous versions basically saying less is more, and that people overuse team instructions which can prove counterproductive. 

due to some under the hood changes that necessitate more team instructions, or is that side of things mainly the same as the previous years?  

Edited by Lebohang_Mokoena
font size

3 hours ago, Lebohang_Mokoena said:

I've come to the new game from 2017. I love the changes to the tactics screen, especially the tactical presets.  

I’ve been trying to replicate my favourite tactic from the previous game and one thing I’ve noticed is that the default tactical presets seem to have a lot of team instructions.

So, for instance, for my possession based 532 I usually had the following instructions chosen; shorter passing, press more, roam from positions, with a standard mentality and fluid passing. 

In 2019, I’m currently using the tiki taka one and it seems to have a lot more than I used.

I’ve read a lot of advice when setting up a tactic on previous versions basically saying less is more, and that people overuse team instructions which can prove counterproductive. 

due to some under the hood changes that necessitate more team instructions, or is that side of things mainly the same as the previous years?  

i think 'less is more' may still be a guiding rule - a lot of the most successful tactics I've seen in the team threads appear as "Custom (playing style)" where they've got less instructions. I see the presets as a slightly underpowered version of if when you first start playing FM you just download a tactic online that has tons of instructions.

Certainly I don't recall seeing anything about huge changes to tactics - other than the line of engagement thing.

Edited by zlatanera

5 hours ago, Lebohang_Mokoena said:

The Tiki-Taka playing style is a very specific style and it requires a lot of instructions. It doesn't mean that your custom style needs a lot also.

You can still set the same instructions as in your FM17 tactic. Now though you have 3 phases of the game - in possession, out of possession and in transition. There are options that there weren't before. So you may add a little more instructions if you feel needed.

I'm curious how did you set up fluid passing in FM17? Did you mean fluid shape? There is no Shape anymore in FM19 - you don't have to worry about that.

Pick your formation, pick your roles and duties. Then pick your mentality and go through the 3 phases of play to see what instructions can be useful for the style you want to play. The presets are just templates you can use as guides and/or tweak if you want to. But you can totally start from scratch if you want to.

On 26/10/2018 at 08:33, Rashidi said:

Good one, in this edition I am more concerned with mobile and static pivots and how to create paths of resistance. This tactical creator has brought out the creative in me.

@RashidiCan you explain a little more about a mobile vs. static pivot and give some real world examples? I assume it's based on 'stick to position' vs 'roam' (or simply not clicking 'stick') but what combinations make that work? And do you want two mobile or two statics to make one work? e.g. a BWM (D) and a DLP (S) would be what? What would the Dier & Dembele pivot at Spurs be considered? 

I have a question to which I think I know the answer but I just want to check if my thinking is correct.

What happens if I don't select Counter Press or Regroup and Counter or Hold Position in the Transition Phase?

Do the players decide by themselves which one to apply in each situation? Based on what factors? Decision making attributes? Certain amount of players in a given area? How is it coded in the ME?

I'm guessing the players decide but I want to know/understand how and based on what factors.

Thanks 

On 19/11/2018 at 21:09, yonko said:

I have a question to which I think I know the answer but I just want to check if my thinking is correct.

What happens if I don't select Counter Press or Regroup and Counter or Hold Position in the Transition Phase?

Do the players decide by themselves which one to apply in each situation? Based on what factors? Decision making attributes? Certain amount of players in a given area? How is it coded in the ME?

I'm guessing the players decide but I want to know/understand how and based on what factors.

Thanks 

Anyone?

@Rashidi @Cleon @herne79 @HUNT3R

Is there a way to look "under the hood" to see how all the new preset tactics look in the old style tactical slider version?

This would be useful when trying to implement one of the modern tactics in an old game like FM09.

Edited by ottey_swe

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ShirazS said:

Not seen it mentioned in this thread but I can't seem to find the "Roam From Positions" TI. Does it still exist somewhere?

No, it does not exist as a TI anymore. Just as part of PIs. So now you can set the specific player(s) (positions) you want to let roam.

23 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

Isn't the focus play down the left/right the same ?

No. The "Focus play down" TI is an equivalent of the former "exploit the middle/flanks", whereas the "Clear Ball to Flanks" would have increased the passing length and direct passes more toward flanks, but didn't have to do anything with changing individual players' mentalities.

• 2 months later...
On 04/11/2018 at 05:37, Experienced Defender said:

Team shape in FM18 and team fluidity in FM19 are not the same, though there is some correlation. In FM18, when you select a more fluid shape, the difference in mentalities of players having different duties is smaller than in more structured shapes. So, attack duties are less attacking and defend duties are less defending with fluid team shapes than they are with structured ones. For example, in the most structured shape, if a player with defend duty has mentality of 3, his teammate with attack duty will have, say, 15 or so. Conversely, in the most fluid shape, if defend duty has mentality of 5, attack duty should be around 10 (roughly). 

This is exactly what I want to achieve in FM19. I want a very structured style where my defenders are very defensive (mentality of 3) and my strikers are very attacking (mentality of 15). I have enjoyed this style in all the previous FMs. Lots of real life managers like Conte, Mourinho, Ventura and many others play this style as well. With team shape gone in FM19, I'm not sure how I can maintain depth in possession between my defenders and attackers without messing up the defensive shape.

1 hour ago, pats said:

This is exactly what I want to achieve in FM19. I want a very structured style where my defenders are very defensive (mentality of 3) and my strikers are very attacking (mentality of 15). I have enjoyed this style in all the previous FMs. Lots of real life managers like Conte, Mourinho, Ventura and many others play this style as well. With team shape gone in FM19, I'm not sure how I can maintain depth in possession between my defenders and attackers without messing up the defensive shape.

1. It is still possible to check the mentality of each player on the pitch, that is a function of duty. And, that's generally enough as it affects their initial positioning. 

2. Changing mentality and duties has the effect of changing your team fluidity. For example i could have 4 attack duties in my system on a Very attacking mentality it would be structured and on positive mentality it will turn into flexible. 

TBh if i wanted to create more depth on my tactics i just focus on their specific role and duty .The more support roles the more certain i am that the tactic will play like a kumbaya tactic. Since FM19 launched i have never really bothered even LOOKiNG at team fluidity, i just focus on our transitions and determine who needs a duty change to affect team depth.

On 16/03/2019 at 03:52, Rashidi said:

1. It is still possible to check the mentality of each player on the pitch, that is a function of duty. And, that's generally enough as it affects their initial positioning. 

2. Changing mentality and duties has the effect of changing your team fluidity. For example i could have 4 attack duties in my system on a Very attacking mentality it would be structured and on positive mentality it will turn into flexible. 

TBh if i wanted to create more depth on my tactics i just focus on their specific role and duty .The more support roles the more certain i am that the tactic will play like a kumbaya tactic. Since FM19 launched i have never really bothered even LOOKiNG at team fluidity, i just focus on our transitions and determine who needs a duty change to affect team depth.

Yeah, I don't really care too much about that. Getting the roles/mentality and TIs and PIs right should be the only important thing

• 4 months later...

This should probably be in the stupid question section...  but I have a tactic which works well against better teams (its a fluid counter tactic) and against much weaker opposition, but I would guess that is down to my players being much better, rather than my tactic, but against teams which are similar or slightly weaker it has mixed / crappy results, it probably works 70% of the time.

So is it possible to play with just one mentality (for my tactic it is cautious) and just change TIs and PIs in order to adapt to who I am playing, or do I need a more Control / Positive / Attacking tactic and flick between the two depending on the opposition?

In real life I see Athletico Madrid as the perfect example, strong at the back and that defensive aspect never changes, they simply change instructions and the type of players they have on the pitch as their tactical tweaks.  I suppose Man City are the same, you know how they are going to play, its just players in differing positions which creates a different style / attack option, i.e right footed Stirling on the right playing more as a winger giving width, or playing him on the left where he cuts in and creates more from the centre of the pitch as well as generating overloads in that area as well.

Ed

On 13/08/2019 at 10:37, edhdurham said:

So is it possible to play with just one mentality (for my tactic it is cautious) and just change TIs and PIs in order to adapt to who I am playing, or do I need a more Control / Positive / Attacking tactic and flick between the two depending on the opposition?

It's entirely possible to play with just one Mentality and make other changes if you need to adapt to certain situations.  It's also possible to play with different Mentalities and switch if you need to adapt.  There's no right or wrong way.

If you are struggling with certain situations it's probably best to start a new thread, detail your tactical set up along with the issues you are having and somebody may be able to give you some new ideas.