'Getting stuck in' and 'staying on feet'? How do you use them and why?

What are their advantages and disadvantages for your style of play? What are, generally speaking, their tactical complementaries?

Personally I've always liked the idea of my physically strong squad mauling the opposition with two footed challenges. However, it has come to my attention that it might be counter-productive to fast paced football as my players are spending too much time sliding around on the floor.

If playing a pressing game with a high line I ask my fwds and midfield players to tackle harder in an attempt to take more risk and win the ball back higher up the pitch.   If playing a counter-attacking style with a deep def line I'll ask them to stay on feet to remain compact, except CD who I ask to tackle harder as a last line of defence.

Again i think i would decouple this instruction from the end goal of fast paced football.

The deciding factor should be based around your defensive style and skillset. If you have players with good stamina and work rate and/or you are playing a more intense pressing game... I would select to stay on feet. Many managers, including Pep, discourage their team from making tackles as it is unknown (in a slide tackle) where the ball will go, no assurance of winning the ball back... And high risk of either fouling or being out of position. If you stay on feet and press well.. You put the opponents in situations where they have to retreat or play a risky pass under pressure... And more often you can force turnover. 

I guess the opposite would be for more destructive combative teams who may have more numbers in defensive to try and tackle proactively to break up oppositon play and 'rough up the opposition'. (i agree with Pep, so thinking of a good reason to tackle more is hard) 

Staying on feet can also be good for low block without the pressing, as you can retreat, without making the tackle, inviting your opponent to keep dribbling forward. May be useful if you want them to overcommit. 

In terms of the pace at which you play... I dont think either style helps or stifles... If you get stuck in there is danger of stop/start play if you keep giving away free kicks, if you stay on feet you could allow the opposition to keep possession for sustained periods... So it really depends on the overall strategy (pressing, formation...) of where you want to win the ball and how you intend to transition into attack

41 minutes ago, bennyj22 said:

What are their advantages and disadvantages for your style of play? What are, generally speaking, their tactical complementaries?

Personally I've always liked the idea of my physically strong squad mauling the opposition with two footed challenges. However, it has come to my attention that it might be counter-productive to fast paced football as my players are spending too much time sliding around on the floor.

for example,

if AI winger better than your FB,staying on feet + low pressing + low closing down
if your FB better than AI's winger,then you can Getting stuck in + more pressing & closing down

If you want your players sliding in with two footed tackles you'd better be ready for a lot of red cards :brock:.

Joking apart, the style of play is one thing, the player's attributes are something else.  If you want your players to get stuck in, they'd better be bloody good at Tackling.  It's one thing telling your players to tackle, it's something else entirely if they can actually do it with any degree of competence.  Also be very cautious if you have players whose coach reports say they have a "competitive streak".  That indicates a high degree of Dirtiness (a hidden attribute) which governs how willing a player may be to use foul play.  Telling that sort of player to get stuck in probably won't end well.

So if you want to use a physical game then go for it.  Just make sure you have the right players :thup:.

The deeper I delve into the game the more I'm sold into the idea that you should only adjust the tackling instructions when the situations of the match that you're currently in are visibly conducive for you to do so in order to exploit your opponents game play. Otherwise, leave them on default and trust your players' judgement.

For example, if you're using hard tackling approach but you're not compact enough in shape compared to your opponents in a match, most of the time your tackles will be for nothing when they're done higher up the pitch as there's little chance that there's a teammate nearby who will retrieve the stray ball, and done on nearer positions to your goal there's a much higher chance of your team making fouls in dangerous areas, then when they fail you'll be exposed and again when they're successful there's still no guarantee that your team will win the possession from the tackle. So that leaves only your midfield players where it can be considered a relatively safe enough option to pick (and again only when the positioning of your players in the middle aren't scattered) but even then, I'd use them only for my player with decent enough Tackling and Stamina so as to not draining their tanks too soon.

1 hour ago, kpsia518 said:

if AI winger better than your FB,staying on feet + low pressing + low closing down
if your FB better than AI's winger,then you can Getting stuck in + more pressing & closing down

I usually do the exact opposite myself.

If my FB is slower than the winger on his side, I will instruct him to tackle him harder - I know that if he manages to get past him, my FB won't be able to catch up and fix his error, which is why I want him to go all in and commit a foul if he needs to. Hell, break his leg, pull his shirt or even wrestle him down, just don't let him get past you. :D

jWPTp0n.jpg

Don't be afraid to tackle harder with an aggressive mentality and high line.  More of the fouls you'll commit should be high the pitch, safer fouls if you like, perhaps even tactical fouls.  The opposite i.e. a deep line and diving in is just asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, Robson 07 said:

Don't be afraid to tackle harder with an aggressive mentality and high line.

Trying to tackle hard a fast opposition forward who got past your high d-line chasing a killer pass is quite risky not only because you could well give away a free kick in dangerous area (or worse - penalty), but your defender who made the foul while tackling is likely to get a direct red card as he (as the last man in defence) illegally prevented an OP player from getting a clear-cut chance.

20 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Trying to tackle hard a fast opposition forward who got past your high d-line chasing a killer pass is quite risky not only because you could well give away a free kick in dangerous area (or worse - penalty), but your defender who made the foul while tackling is likely to get a direct red card as he (as the last man in defence) illegally prevented an OP player from getting a clear-cut chance.

@Experienced Defender I really didn't need to be quoted or corrected.  If a tactic is mainly concerned with preventing the opposition’s time in possession, defend higher up the pitch, in an attempt to avoid conceding free kicks in more dangerous areas. 

On 13/10/2018 at 17:33, Zemahh said:

I usually do the exact opposite myself.

If my FB is slower than the winger on his side, I will instruct him to tackle him harder - I know that if he manages to get past him, my FB won't be able to catch up and fix his error, which is why I want him to go all in and commit a foul if he needs to. Hell, break his leg, pull his shirt or even wrestle him down, just don't let him get past you. :D

jWPTp0n.jpg

i play bus parking alot,so low pressing easy tackle is best to me.

& 0-0 = AI fail to score against me = i win.

this is negative mind,you need this negative mind to play defensive football.:D

Archived