How long does it take you to complete a season?

Hi all,

Just wondering how long it takes each of you to play a whole season on FM.

I remember the days when it was between 8-12 hours, but now personally it is 30+ hours per season.

IMO it looks like FM19 may bring these times down slightly as it looks more streamlined with the new features.

Takes me about a month to complete a season

if anything I think the new tactics and training module will lengthen the time taken, I can see myself taking an evening just tinkering with the training.

I play FM touch on my commute and you can really race through the seasons

pre season - about 20-30 hours

maybe 20-30 additional hours for the season itself

usually i start 2 or 3 saves with the same club, playing one pre-season and 2 entire seasons to build a tactic and evaluate a team before i go into the first season with a lenghty save.

(its all about optimizing gameplay)

therefore, in fact i do spend about 100+ hours before i start the "real" save

---

it has not been always like that

however, after all these years playing football managers, i now usually enjoy the "preparation" part most

12274462_10208309204513094_1422848551988

Edited by meebee

I'd guess, like a few people have said, 20-24 hours. Hard to keep track though. First season is usually the longest simply due to all the setup - can spend 2 hours before I advance beyond the first day if I'm going really all-out on training, overhauling staff etc. 

But once I get out of August it'll be about 20 hours per season until I get to the end of the 3rd season which seems to be when I usually get bored, and either spend a lot of time scouting, setting up new position training and building a new tactic, or quit.

My current save is one of the slowest I've had, a lot of setup in the first season getting a ton of tutors, and a lot of ums and ahs over whether to sign / sell certain players in the 2nd means it took me 8 days to get to the first CL group game of the second season, and that's with a lot of FMing. 

Edited by zlatanera

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

I guess it 20-30 hours (of clear time) per season. But looks like 25-33% of them I just watching to days loading :seagull:

this used to be me until I realised that I didn't need all the leagues I had running, now I favour speed over size but if you had asked me the same question a year or 2 ago i'd have said the opposite.

It's about finding that balance

4 минуты назад, bennytee сказал:

this used to be me until I realised that I didn't need all the leagues I had running, now I favour speed over size but if you had asked me the same question a year or 2 ago i'd have said the opposite.

I agree. I revised my DB this summer in favor of reducing countries / leagues

7 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

I agree. I revised my DB this summer in favor of reducing countries / leagues

I was about 10 seasons in on FM17 with Stalybridge and was still in non-league, chugging along at a snails pace because i had the whole of Europe and South America running and I couldn't even scout outside England.  Entirely pointless. 

With FM19 I will be starting in Conference North/South with only England running to start with and add/remove leagues If I progress up the Pyramid.

I'll also start with a small database for transfer market reasons discussed in depth on other threads 

Edited by bennytee

12 минут назад, bennytee сказал:

i had the whole of Europe and South America running

Your database was about 200k units?

13 минут назад, bennytee сказал:

I'll also start with a small database

Will this affect the number of available staff in the game?

13 минут назад, bennytee сказал:

market reasons discussed in depth on other threads

You mean any features/changes in FM19 or reasons in general?

17 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Your database was about 200k units? - was around 120k but really iirc, but totally unneeded in my game

Will this affect the number of available staff in the game? - I didn't notice a problem with staff but isn't there an option to add staff to playable teams?  Over time won't retired players fill vacancies?

You mean any features/changes in FM19 or reasons in general? - Not FM19 specific.  The school of thought is that a small database makes for a more competitive transfer market, especially if you are the selling club.  This is all the more noticable when running a small number of leagues.  This is just my own experience and i'm sure that other forum members will know more than I

All of this though very much depends on what kind of game you intend on playing, if you just play with top teams then it could well be different

Edited by bennytee

i found 40k player database to be the sweet spot for me. thats enough to have the major european leagues playable and all other european leagues as viewable.

I don't add leagues outside of europe, as i feel adding Brazil i.e. would be cheating and most likeley see me ending up with south american players only. ;)

Edited by meebee

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:56, BnadnerB said:

Hi all,

Just wondering how long it takes each of you to play a whole season on FM.

I remember the days when it was between 8-12 hours, but now personally it is 30+ hours per season.

IMO it looks like FM19 may bring these times down slightly as it looks more streamlined with the new features.

Did they say it was going to be more streamlines. I don't remember them saying that, but I could be wrong.

51 minutes ago, mightypvfc said:

About 6 months. Full set-up, every league selected, huge database. Go hard or go home ;)

:applause:

Awesome :lol:

Imagine if FM had full multi core/thread support.  Get a top of the range Intel Xeon system on the go and cut through the whole game like butter! 

1 hour ago, BnadnerB said:

I meant in terms of taking away the hours of guessing with tactics and training in paticular.

I see what you mean but I quite enjoy tinkering with those things, the days of plug and play tactics and training are long gone now I suspect and attention to detail is vital.

Mind you I do enjoy flying through the seasons on FM Touch (out and about on my commute etc) which to me is not too much of a compromise as the tactics and match engine, unless i'm very much mistaken, are exactly the same

Edited by bennytee

• Administrators

Full FM? Probably 18-24 hours for the first season or two, then down to about 12-14 after that. Stopped playing it proper really (beyond testing) after I was working on FMT for the first year it was FMC.

FMT I can do in about 8-10 hours for the first season, 6-8 after that. But usually depends how many leagues loaded. If I just load one or two nations I could blitz through quicker. Fastest was about 4 hours, I think.

1 hour ago, Lanko said:

Does FM Speeder really works or is it just placebo? 

Some people swear by it. Would like to know for certain.

No, its a load of rubbish iirc. Pretty sure it was raised before and one of the coders said as much.

I started my FM18 save on 11/11/17 and played 5 seasons, retiring on 2/13/18. I guess that's an average of 18.8 days per season. And that's only watching the matches on extended! I've resolved to watch more of the match (comprehensive, I'm thinking) on FM19 to force myself to get better, but I worry that will really drag things on. I have been getting the feeling that most people on here watch more of the matches than I do, but now I see some of you blowing through seasons in such short periods of time I have to wonder how! Maybe upgrading my laptop will shave off some hours in loading time.

39 minutes ago, Weston said:

I started my FM18 save on 11/11/17 and played 5 seasons, retiring on 2/13/18. I guess that's an average of 18.8 days per season. And that's only watching the matches on extended! I've resolved to watch more of the match (comprehensive, I'm thinking) on FM19 to force myself to get better, but I worry that will really drag things on. I have been getting the feeling that most people on here watch more of the matches than I do, but now I see some of you blowing through seasons in such short periods of time I have to wonder how! Maybe upgrading my laptop will shave off some hours in loading time.

I will watch a few full matches when I am making my tactics to make sure it's doing what I want, then I watch extended on a fast speed. Occasionally I will switch to full game if there seems to be a problem, so I can work out what is going on, make some changes, then switch back to extended.

change training every three months and charge through most of the fluff.

I like youth development saves, so I don't waste time with scouting, or get involved in the transfer market, which saves time I guess.

Buy a desktop.

I usually play 3 games per session and my session can vary from once a week to maybe 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks. If you have about 40 games a season, and can do 3 games a session, then I end up with about 14 sessions, let's say 15, because the first one I would just be setting everything up. This means best case scenario 3 weeks (which in reality is never the case), so I'd say around 2 to 3 months.

• 1 year later...

These days I rarely get the time to play for more than a few hours at a time. So a season takes me a few weeks of real time. I watch all games in comprehensive highlights as well, which makes it longer for a game. The time between games is actually pretty short though, so if I can find the time to get a 5 hours session in I can easily get half a season done. 

Well, I've been playing my current save for all but maybe a few hours of my 342 hours of FM20. I'm midway through season four.

I doubt it is much less than 90 hours per season for me.

I don't rush...:onmehead:

EDIT: Okay, I just realised this is a necro of the highest order, this thread. It's a year and a half old thread.

Edited by anagain

4-5 days?

I'm self employed though and FM is on my second screen during work.

Having said that, there are times that work is demanding and I don't get time to play. But when it's a bit quieter, I can do a season in 3 days.

• 3 weeks later...

Have no idea concerning hours I actually spend. But I need several month per saison. I can simulate a week of in-game on an evening when I play but I have no time to play every day.

Around 6h for the very first month in a club:

- Evaluating, searching and hiring the entire staff for all teams (main squad, u23/reserve or B team and u19/u18). All coaches, physios, data analysts, sport scientists, scouts and etc;
 - Setting up general and individual training to every single player (from main squad to u18);
 - Setting up tactics and pre-season schedule (choosing which oponents, where and when);
 - Setting up scout missions (a country/region for every scout avaliable) according to what I want for the club's future (or the club's vision ofc);

Then maybe 20 to 24h for each season.