Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: Revamped Tactics Module

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, kosecki99 said:
In ten days you Will tell me if I am right or not!!!!!

Using a lot of exclamation marks does not make things true!!!!!!!111111oneoneone!!!!!!!!

Edited by XaW

53 minutes ago, kosecki99 said:

Miles said it in an interview......I don´t remember which one!!!!

Probably this one. Without watching it back I think he talked about there not being big change to the graphics to a PES/FIFA style, or an entirely new engine.

That’s not the same thing as there being no match engine changes. I don’t believe SI would add presets to play gegenpressing, a counter pressing option etc without there being match engine changes. You couldn’t really play that way in FM18.

15 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Most people still haven't worked out that changing things in the Tactics creator also requires revamping the ME and the AI. Otherwise the instructions wont work, and the opposition won't use them correctly...

Exactly! it will be interesting to see how this plays out in FM19

16 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Most people still haven't worked out that changing things in the Tactics creator also requires revamping the ME and the AI. Otherwise the instructions wont work, and the opposition won't use them correctly...

This is a genuine question - Do you have confidence that the inclusion of these new tactical styles will significantly change the football that is played and how it is presented to us?

Because I don't. My concern is that the styles just bundle together existing TIs and PIs. I think uncoupling defensive & attacking width from mentality will be achievable; but all this talk of gegenpressing reflecting how Liverpool play is a fairy tale cooked up in people's heads.

Edited by rdbayly

20 hours ago, chris31k said:

Set defensive width : what's the point ? Defensive width is determined by the shape of the attacking team. You don't want your wingback to play narrow when the opponent play with wingers out wide. The defensive positioning is 100% determined by the opponent, not the formation. And how you can tell your defenders to mark tighter and to hold a defined shape at the same time, nonsense.

Not true at all.

If the attacking team is playing really wide, it doesn't mean you are defending with width. If the attacking team have the ball in a wide area, the back 4 can still be really narrow, with the opposite full-back (not dealing with the ball) being basically in the middle of the goal.

The same applies if the play is coming through the middle. Some managers prefer a really narrow defence so there are no gaps to play through, even if the wingers for the attacking team are stood really wide. Then if the ball moves out to the wingers, the back 4 simply shift across to deal with it.

13 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

This is a genuine question - Do you have confidence that the inclusion of these new tactical styles will significantly change the football that is played and how it is presented to us?

Because I don't. My concern is that the styles just bundle together existing TIs and PIs. I think uncoupling defensive & attacking width from mentality will be achievable; but all this talk of gegenpressing reflecting how Liverpool play is a fairy tale cooked up in people's heads.

Yes, because some of the fog has immediately been removed for people to create things. Simpler to understand, but with more depth via options. And its a lot more than bundling together existing TI's and PI's

I also think people are going to a little disappointed if they think their minnow teams will become Mini Liverpools, because a) Pressing is stil not going to be quite like real life b) Its incredibly demanding c) The ME will only ever be an approximation of real life d) no one ever seems to mention the opposition when they create tactics.

The tactics creator has a huge scope, even small changes can have massive impacts. It's not even close to its end potential yet

1 hour ago, Scoham said:

Probably this one. Without watching it back I think he talked about there not being big change to the graphics to a PES/FIFA style, or an entirely new engine.

That’s not the same thing as there being no match engine changes. I don’t believe SI would add presets to play gegenpressing, a counter pressing option etc without there being match engine changes. You couldn’t really play that way in FM18.

Interesting how he says they are always improving the Graphics in the 3D match on low and high spec PCs yet in FM17 and FM18 they have gone backwards

3 minutes ago, Armistice said:

When is the beta likely to be released?

They say usually 2 weeks before release, so I'm guessing around October 19th, though this is just a guess from me.

On 27/09/2018 at 11:00, noikeee said:

And gone are:

- "team shape" (which is now a function of the other TIs)

- "retain possession"

and "roam the positions". Just playing to know if is alright this way.

On 28/09/2018 at 01:53, kpsia518 said:

expected to see this in new ME :

This is beautiful of seeing. It would be perfect to do my team act like this.

On 28/09/2018 at 02:06, chocolatecoatedballs said:

This looks great, though there are 4 phases in a game, it will be interesting how they have implemented it in their 3.

This is a huge improvement though, I'm glad I pre-ordered it now, exciting stuff.

You mean Defense -> Defensive Transition -> Offensive Transition -> Attack?

On 28/09/2018 at 06:55, Carninho said:

this probably isn't the time or place but I think that the tactic options should be limited at the start of the game depending on your experience. 

so when you select your manager profile and coaching experience, it will then allow you access to certain philosophies. ie Sunday league manager can only play long ball for a while? 

I think it should be limited by the team/players skill. A example from Brazil is the coach Fernando Diniz. He became famous giving a "tiki-taka" style to a smal team from São Paulo Championship. He got being a runner-up. Then he goes to Atletico-PR, a Brasileirão Serie A club but a medium team. Even with more structure he fails to apply the style after a good beginning in the Brasileirão. He was fired with the team in the relegated zone. With a new manager and a simple football, they are 9th currently.

On 28/09/2018 at 09:14, skam said:

Epic. I wish other countries had similar mods.

There are german and italian DB with more 5 divisions. I know a brazilian one where you have 4 national division, more one extra division to became all the team playable, all the state championships (someones with more than 3 divisions), youth competitions like Copa São Paulo JR (the most recent brazilian stars came from there like Neymar and Vinicius JR) and regional championships. Maybe the Brasileirão Aspirantes (for Reserve Teams) is included.

On 28/09/2018 at 11:08, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, set pieces have been the worst part of the game for years now.

Especially free kicks.

I hope an advanced set pieces like this

On 28/09/2018 at 13:06, gunnersguy said:

One thing that SI have not mentioned with is pretty big when concerning tactics is that by the looks of it you can now play the Libero in CB strata according do this picture. 

8.png.355afd8821922e17c55c1ad3377b82b4.p

I am thinking if it will act as a classic Libero or/also a "playmaker/offensive" defender. If is good give Libero role to both defenders. 

On 28/09/2018 at 17:47, OJ403 said:

Just wondering with the over/underlap options. Previously they were universal and applied to to both sides, ie you could only look for the over/underlap on the right and left simultaneously or not at all. However this graphic makes me question if you can combine them freely. For example, can you look for the right overlap, but left underlap, or vice-versa, or the over/underlap on one side and neither on the other?

In some images I saw it is possible. I liked. Should be possible you can choose one of the left/right side + middle as where the team will attack, like FIFAM.

On 30/09/2018 at 17:32, westy8chimp said:

This video from my Southampton can illustrate this. Its a simple 4141, standard flex. There are no playmaker or TM. Both wingers are wm(s) both full backs are wb(a) the only team instruction is look for overlap. To begin you see the wm on the left ignore the overlapping wb. At 8 seconds you see my wm on the right ignore a great run from the right wingback... Could log it as a bug, right? :D

But in the next game we have the ball in a similar position down the left and we use the overlap correctly (albeit that pesky Tadic still ignoring Cedric) 

It's very difficult if not impossible to fathom exactly why Tadic wont pass to Cedric when it seems on... But if i watch 90 mins id expect him to do it sometimes. More so than if i hadnt selected the TI and role/duty as i have. 

Since was introduced the "triangulation" improvement I see that playing addict. The CMs always looking a pass to the middle only sometimes they look to the sides. It makes the wingbacks always in offside when they retain much the ball.

On 06/10/2018 at 13:05, Sticx said:

It seems like all of the tactical changes are being centered on tactic creation which is good, but I would like to see more going into helping you adjust tactically during a match. I can design a good functioning tactic, but struggle t adapt to the Ai manager changes. For example, it would be great if your assistant could let you know during a match something like "hey boss, they are building all of their attacks through our left side, maybe we should put a bwm there to counter?" Or "they are attempting a lot of long balls over the top, maybe we should drop our d-line back a bit." You could argue that all of the information is there for you to find out yourself, but with all of that information it can feel like you're trying to drink from the fire hose st times. It would be nice if your assistant gave you helpful advice instead of hey, we're winning our fair share of headers, let's pump the ball into the box nonsense. 

+10000 great and helpful suggestion

19 hours ago, chris31k said:

Having a new role for CB : playmaking defender. He attract the ball and push the midfield up front as he takes responsibility for the restart of play,  keeping the ball, looking for a good pass as the midfield spread out. It allows you to have one more men to build up your attacks as the deep lying playmaker can be higher, every man on midfield is a solution of pass and the "first build-up pass" is the responsibility of the playmaking defender. Ask guardiola, he invented it :) he always give the responsibility of the "first build up pass" to one of his central defenders and tells his midfielders to spread out to occupy space. That why its very hard to press high against guardiola :) .

But this new role needs to change the behavior of his teammates, not espacially his behavoir, as the BPD is already there. It needs to makes players pass him the ball and to midfield spread out to offer passing solutions higher up on the pitch

Thats a new feature !! :) 

I hope the Libero role in CB position at least simulate near that. 

On 27/09/2018 at 08:55, Neil Brock said:

When your side have lost possession, you can ask them to be more aggressive in their approach and ‘counter-press’ the opposition to try and recover the ball quickly. Alternatively, you can prioritise maintaining your team’s defensive shape by using the ‘regroup’ option which aims to prevent your side being hit quickly on the counter. You can mirror these instructions when your side have won possession too, opting to either counter to take advantage quickly of the gaps left in your opponent’s defence or choose the ‘hold shape’ option to take a more patient approach that could suit a possession-orientated tactical style.

3-transition.jpg

I loved all, but It would perfect If could play with different formations with(out) the ball

The ‘out of possession’ options focus on the defensive aspect of the game including your defensive shape as well as marking and tackling options. New additions include the ability to set your line of engagement and defensive line by dragging the relevant arrows on the tactics pitch. There are also similar sliders to set your pressing intensity and defensive width.

5-out-of-possession.jpg

It will fix my desire to keep the attacking/midfielders line high together the defensive one. The thing I was hating in FM was the fact the midfielders down a lot, sometimes they are together with my defenders, letting a big hole between they and the strikers. 

In addition, there are a few new player roles that have been added this year such as the Pressing Forward, which is a role that is designed to put pressure on your opponent’s defensive line by having your striker press them and restrict their time on the ball. Defensively, there are now No-Nonsense Full-Backs and No-Nonsense Centre-Back who focus predominantly on basic defensive duties and very rarely move forward into attacking areas.

6-pressing-forward.jpg

8-no-nonsense-defender.jpg

7-no-nonsense-full-back.jpg

Thank you for Pressing Forward. I was sad that role didn't an attacking duty and it was solved. But I being frank, I didn't see any strong reason to change the names of Defensive Full Back and Limited Defender. Both names gave an good idea about the role before of reading the description. 

The ‘in possession’ options focus on your attacking intent, including: attacking width, approach play and what you do with the ball in the final third. There’s a new instruction included in here called ‘play for set pieces’ which can be useful if your team is especially effective from dead-ball situations.

4-team-instructions.jpg

that instruction is kinda to make players "find"/"provoke" any foul?

On 27/09/2018 at 14:55, Neil Brock said:

1-tactical-styles.jpg

Overview, Player, Set Pieces, Captains, Match Plans, Opp Instruction and Analysis are old menus. But "Team" menu is new. Is does not exist in FM18. I can presume this menu includes all old TI's without any limitation. Maybe. Or maybe it includes something new.

I Wonder with the new pressing system and Strikers Line of Engagement

How will Line of Engagement be affected when you use a strikerless formation?

How will my Striker, CAM, or AMRL will defend, press and how deep they drop in FM19s ME (when out of possession)\?

I want my Striker, CAM, or AMRL to press high and drop deep when depending (as far back as the GK Box)  , if an opponent player has the ball behind them (when out of possession)

I want strikers to drop more deep when trying to defend (as far back as the GK Box) whilst pressing high.  (when out of possession)

In Reality and the modern game some STs, AMRLs, CAMs love to Press High whilst dropping deep when defending (Deep as their own GK Box) when out of possession

Edited by kingking

On 07/10/2018 at 16:10, chris31k said:

Set defensive width : what's the point ? Defensive width is determined by the shape of the attacking team. You don't want your wingback to play narrow when the opponent play with wingers out wide. The defensive positioning is 100% determined by the opponent, not the formation. And how you can tell your defenders to mark tighter and to hold a defined shape at the same time, nonsense.

I might want my defence to play narrow if the opposition play with wingers who stay out wide. It's a way to influence what the opposition do to benefit you. If I've got central defenders who are awesome at defending crosses, but not as good at cutting out through balls or tackling dribblers, I want them to face more crosses, so I direct the opposition to use their wingers by stifling the centre of the pitch with narrow defending, leaving the wingers free to receive the ball.

On 07/10/2018 at 19:52, DiStru_ said:

Can someone explain how you would benefit from changing defensive width?

I tend to make a lot of changes during matches and I often find myself switching to defensive or contain, to protect the lead. And I'm pretty sure that defensive width changes with that, meaning the whole thing was already in the game, just under the hood. When I watch matches while playing on those low mentalities, the defensive width gets really narrow, I find even wingers tucking in much more than you would expect. I'm also pretty sure that @Rashidi mentioned using mentality to change defensive width in one of his videos, but I could be wrong about that (don't remember exactly where I saw or read about it).

Yes, but now you can defend narrow while playing with an attacking mentality, and defend wide while playing with a defensive mentality. As above, it can help with countering the threat of the opposition.

Thank God 

Is anyone else happy about Time-Wasting being separate from Team Mentality and Tempo, and having the ability to change the level?

Therefore it is possible to have High Tempo and High Time-Wasting.... I Think?

temo.png.5b4ee2fe6eba4e13ac601ab5cff9ce47.png

Edited by kingking

Is it true that Team Shape can no longer be changed in FM19 and it will change automatically, based on the number of Support roles in a tactic? Haven't seen it anywhere on the screenshots, so I'm starting to believe it - can anyone that pays more attention spot the option anywhere on the Tactics screen?

If it's true, how will that affect the creative freedom? Is it still tied to Team Shape, meaning now we lose control over that completely?

21 hours ago, kingking said:

Thank God 

Is anyone else happy about Time-Wasting being separate from Team Mentality and Tempo, and having the ability to change the level?

temo.png.5b4ee2fe6eba4e13ac601ab5cff9ce47.png

Time Wasting used to be separated from Team mentality before, I believe. I'm not sure for which FM edition though. I think it was when we last had the sliders.

22 hours ago, kingking said:

Hopefully not? How can you time waste at a high tempo... Allowing contradictions can often contribute to those ME breaking tactics...

Since the shape can not be changed now, how is the shape determined by the tactic creator based on the tactics created? And how do we indirectly change it? 

I currently have a beautiful possession tactics that I created for FM18. It uses 'Control' mentality with 'Highly structured' team shape. I'm worried I will struggle to create something like this on FM19 since the team shape option is removed. :-(

On 08/10/2018 at 12:26, kosecki99 said:

They don´t show ME, because it is exactly the same as FM18. They only add a few animations!!!!:seagull:

Absolute statements are usually wrong. If you had said, they did not change much, maybe. But usually they work on the ME and tweak things every year and almost every patch. They already showed the VAR and some animations so, they did change something already, so it is not exactly the same anymore.

14 hours ago, pats said:

Since the shape can not be changed now, how is the shape determined by the tactic creator based on the tactics created? And how do we indirectly change it? 

I currently have a beautiful possession tactics that I created for FM18. It uses 'Control' mentality with 'Highly structured' team shape. I'm worried I will struggle to create something like this on FM19 since the team shape option is removed. :-(

I am actually excited about the new tactics revamp. It is the feature that sold me. I did not need to see anything else and pre-ordered. The various transitions, the pre-set options. All great. Isn't this the fun of the game that you start with something and then tweak it as you see what happens? And with the pre-sets it seems you can have a working formation/tactic/instructions/roles and can start right away if you prefer. You select your style and go.

Let's see how it will work in the game (we will see soon enough), but if you limit creative freedom and have roles that are not as creative, I suppose you would achieve highly structured?

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:25, Harro_ said:

Is it true that Team Shape can no longer be changed in FM19 and it will change automatically, based on the number of Support roles in a tactic? Haven't seen it anywhere on the screenshots, so I'm starting to believe it - can anyone that pays more attention spot the option anywhere on the Tactics screen?

If it's true, how will that affect the creative freedom? Is it still tied to Team Shape, meaning now we lose control over that completely?

Team Shape doesn't exist in FM19.  That's the most fundamental aspect to get our heads around.  So when you ask if creative freedom is still tied to Team Shape, no it isn't because Team Shape doesn't exist.  Team Shape is not the same thing as Team Fluidity.

How fluidly our team plays is now determined by player settings.  There is no overall team level setting any more.  And you now look after creative freedom by using the team instruction and/or individual player settings or even by using more (or less) creative players - which is what you could always do anyway.

16 minuti fa, herne79 ha scritto:

Team Shape doesn't exist in FM19.  That's the most fundamental aspect to get our heads around.  So when you ask if creative freedom is still tied to Team Shape, no it isn't because Team Shape doesn't exist.  Team Shape is not the same thing as Team Fluidity.

How fluidly our team plays is now determined by player settings.  There is no overall team level setting any more.  And you now look after creative freedom by using the team instruction and/or individual player settings or even by using more (or less) creative players - which is what you could always do anyway.

after good riddance of team shape, i hope the next step for FM will be to get rid of fluidity as well. 

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Thanks for clearing this up.

Now my question is, how much creative freedom will my CM on attack duty + Control team mentality have as compared to my CM on FM18 with attack duty and stuctured/fluid team shape? How do I know how much will he do his own thing as compared to sticking rigidly to my PIs like 'get further forward', 'move into channels', 'fewer risky passes', 'shoot less often' etc..?

Edited by pats
missed a word

52 minutes ago, pats said:

How do I know how much will he do his own thing as compared to sticking rigidly to my PIs like 'get further forward', 'move into channels', 'fewer risky passes', 'shoot less often' etc..?

How do you know what he does now?  By watching what he does on the pitch; seeing how your team overall are performing; and using the analysis tools/rating system as a guide to help us target possible areas of note.  That won't change :thup:.

However, you're still thinking in terms of Team Shape.  It doesn't exist any more.  Team Fluidity is not the same as Team Shape.  Team Shape is (was) a tactical setting which would change player behaviour.  Team Fluidity is just a label, it has no tactical impact whatsoever on anything.  It's just a descriptor based on how you set up your players.  So whatever Mentality, player role and duty you select, that's how your players will play.  If you then want to increase or decrease creative freedom, use the TI or adjust individual players.

22 minutes ago, Amarante said:

Based on the first live stream. The Gen-Gen Press is reflected well in the ME. 

I gotta admit I had my doubts about the ME but after watching the live stream I'm really hyped now. It looks like a big improvement from last year. 

2 minutes ago, Sticx said:

I gotta admit I had my doubts about the ME but after watching the live stream I'm really hyped now. It looks like a big improvement from last year. 

Same here and seeing them just make a few tweaks to the preset tactics and they got some good results its gonna help alot of users. One thing that they did say and i did notice tho, that squad is suited to GenGen press 

But it was great seeing palyers press together and look to counter after ball  was won. 

3 hours ago, Amarante said:

One thing that they did say and i did notice tho, that squad is suited to GenGen press 

Exactly.  That's been the same in every iteration of FM - it's one thing having a good tactical system, it's something else entirely having the players that can actually apply it to any degree of success.  So use gegenpressing at a fifth tier team tipped for relegation if you like, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work ;).

4 hours ago, Sticx said:

they said they got live stream tonight again right ?

with special quest ?

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, Amarante said:

One thing that they did say and i did notice tho, that squad is suited to GenGen press 

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Exactly.  That's been the same in every iteration of FM - it's one thing having a good tactical system, it's something else entirely having the players that can actually apply it to any degree of success.  So use gegenpressing at a fifth tier team tipped for relegation if you like, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work ;).

This is also why you might want to pair your gegenpress tactic with the gegenpress training, to prepare your players to carry out the system in both the short term and long term.

Considering the twitch stream from yesterday night, it seems even the SI guys aren't invincible to dropping points despite dominating the fairly simplistic match stats FM still provides (Schalke). Additionally, Schalke seem to play a bit like their real world counter part.... against all odds, nick a goal from a set piece consistently every week, and take it from there. Aside of the AI apparently retreating completely into its too extremely defensive shell for good after early the red card (1 shot in the first half at HOME): Good, good. ;)

Now given the far too small sample size of matches, where randomness has its say a lot, it was still curious to see the increased amount of goals from range, both free kicks and else. Whilst there was something to say about both in FM18, hopefully the balance won't be such that sides parking that "Proverbial bus" will crack under a barrage of set pieces or long shots every other week, as that simply doesn't happen in football even with bonafide specialist sides for such. I know that bias is always towards the attacking side from an FM'ers point of view, which is only natural. But I'm personally a defensive guy. Still a couple of cracking kicks mind -- no corner flags were much hit harmed in the making of this Twitch episode for sure.

Now that purple UI design remains kinda curious though. :D

Edited by Svenc

From very small sample I'm seeing a couple of tendencies from FM 18 still present in 19: 1) high number of shots 2) high number of long shots as a result of attacking throw ins (throw in-horizontal pass-shot from edge of the box). They seem to score quite a few goals this way.