Football Manager 2019 Feature Blogs: New Style

vor 59 Minuten schrieb rdbayly:

Good spot, but where is the tactics button and information about your current shape and mentality? 

You can turn it on and off IIRC just like everything else like the League Table, Match stats etc.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I play on a laptop and I much prefer the navigation bar down the left hand side as opposed to on the top. I always minimise it to only show the icons, so I hardly lose any 'real estate'. 

Yeh but did you ever play FM12? 

13 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Of course, I've played them all. FM12 is one of my least favourite game in the series as it happens. I was delighted when they changed the navigation bar from the top to the left hand side. 

Now that's something I don't believe. 

It hard for me to have an opinion about the layout until I start playing. I'm not design expert. But I look at the graphics and colors and I don't like it. I think FM18 had the best default skins. I'm not a fan of the purple but I'm sure will be able to change the color to that grey blue from FM18.

12 hours ago, McClane29 said:

The interface is far, far, far too purple! Yuck.

I don't like the purple either, although I think it might look better if it was darker. On certain screens it doesn't seem too bad. Overall, I don't like the colour overload of purple + yellow (for Watford) + green for the tactics screen or advice. Either the purple or the green should be more neutral IMO, like a white, grey or black. Looking forward to seeing alternative skins though.

I honestly don't understand the happiness section interface. I mean we've got "happy", "very happy", "satisfied", "delighted" etc., but the smiles stays the same, even the colour is exactly the same - one would think that "vary happy' should be greener than "satisfied"; maybe even more smiled.

Besides, everything other than the homepage looks so dumbed down (comparing to FM 2016, the last that I have played) you wouldn't believe. It's like PES mixed with FM. Yikes.

Plus the purple haze - what's up with that? Will the custom skins become that really necesarry this year?

Other than that - I really want to buy FM19. But besides the tactical section,at this point I just really don't see the reason. Stil - keep my fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I don't like the purple either, although I think it might look better if it was darker. On certain screens it doesn't seem too bad. Overall, I don't like the colour overload of purple + yellow (for Watford) + green for the tactics screen or advice. Either the purple or the green should be more neutral IMO, like a white, grey or black. Looking forward to seeing alternative skins though.

On yesterday’s FM Show, The lad on the left (Tom?) said ‘The  userface has a fresh new look in line with the new logo and branding. Purple will be our colour going forward’

Branding over accessibility is style over substance. I hope there is a dark skin like the one from FM17.

In the new revamp has anything been done to fix easily the most ugly part of the game - player histories? And not just in look and feel but in the way that the data behind the scenes calculates what goes on the rows (random lines for an old club when they move teams despite not playing any games, cup or otherwise; players ending in B-Teams prior to transfer and therefore getting an unnecessary line of 0's; players who've played no games and transfer before the season ends/starts obtaining a full year's history with their new club)

I also remember years ago asking for something akin to the way you can group and hide rows like in Excel so that club seasons are compiled under a "total" season view as well as cup games being an option to include but I am going to guess this area hasn't been touched?

Also has anything been done with the summary pages to add more options in there? Season stats extended into a section for club history and career history for example?

@Smurf I'm another that likes the Nav bar on the left. I've played every CM & FM and even when you could position the bar on the right I still had it on the left. maybe its cos I spend all day using Outlook.

For me the new design is just a bit meh. Too much like Win10, and the blocks of colour don't really work for me. 

The Purple is OK, but I my biggest negative takeaway is the team colour that boarders the boxes/windows. Its far to bright and in your face. the red and yellow from the screenshots is too much :(

I'm sure I'll get used to it by the time I'm winning my first Champions League in FM19 ;) 

1 hour ago, Carninho said:

@Smurf I'm another that likes the Nav bar on the left. I've played every CM & FM and even when you could position the bar on the right I still had it on the left. maybe its cos I spend all day using Outlook.

For me the new design is just a bit meh. Too much like Win10, and the blocks of colour don't really work for me. 

The Purple is OK, but I my biggest negative takeaway is the team colour that boarders the boxes/windows. Its far to bright and in your face. the red and yellow from the screenshots is too much :(

I'm sure I'll get used to it by the time I'm winning my first Champions League in FM19 ;) 

That's probably it - it's too blocky. 

The Windows UI is awful will all those blocky squares. Don't know how anyone uses it.

There's an outstanding amount of people that like it on the left, if that's the case, and there's people who don't like it that way, then an option to customise the position of the nav bars would be welcome. 

A lot of other programmes (probably not games) allow customising where nav tools are positioned. 

Edited by Smurf

20 minutes ago, Smurf said:

There's an outstanding amount of people that like it on the left, if that's the case, and there's people who don't like it that way, then an option to customise the position of the nav bars would be welcome. 

A lot of other programmes (probably not games) allow customising where nav tools are positioned. 

Like I said it must be an easy addition, as when the tool bar was first introduced years ago, the standard skins had left and right versions. 

I also expect them to include light and dark versions as they must be aware of the backlash once its released, and it will another thread blowing up come beta release day ;) 

1 minute ago, Carninho said:

Like I said it must be an easy addition, as when the tool bar was first introduced years ago, the standard skins had left and right versions. 

I also expect them to include light and dark versions as they must be aware of the backlash once its released, and it will another thread blowing up come beta release day ;) 

I guess I liken it to something a bit more relevant, maybe it would spark some views, but thinking of the new Gmail UI. It rolled out, and it's subtle changes, but everybody hates it, it has received such negative feedback.

I am even thinking of changing email accounts if I can't revert to the previous layout of the UI. 

If there aren't choices, and you don't like it, then you probably won't use it. And even if it's only a small percentage that don't like it, it's worth making it available if it does no harm, only to appease the few.

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I guess I liken it to something a bit more relevant, maybe it would spark some views, but thinking of the new Gmail UI. It rolled out, and it's subtle changes, but everybody hates it, it has received such negative feedback.

I am even thinking of changing email accounts if I can't revert to the previous layout of the UI. 

If there aren't choices, and you don't like it, then you probably won't use it. And even if it's only a small percentage that don't like it, it's worth making it available if it does no harm, only to appease the few.

its sad that there are fewer people creating their own skins.

each year the numbers fall as the job becomes more complex with the latest release.

I'd see one I like then find out that on a certain screen something is missing or completely in the wrong place. Its a shame they don't have a skin editor to download.

back in the day you could download some amazing skins where people had really thought outside the box in terms of layouts (I don't have the talent or time)

6 hours ago, rdbayly said:

On yesterday’s FM Show, The lad on the left (Tom?) said ‘The  userface has a fresh new look in line with the new logo and branding. Purple will be our colour going forward’

Branding over accessibility is style over substance. I hope there is a dark skin like the one from FM17.

Oh, thats.....worrying.

Edited by Siven

I like the look of the new UI, however I'm hoping they release the base game with a dark version just like they have with every other release. I've no doubt that there will be plenty of skins released but I'd rather just play with the default dark skin whilst waiting for the instant result skin to come out.

On 27/09/2018 at 13:44, GoldenGoal said:

The field display is still inferior to FM2014 which showed role, condition, morale, form, and mentality in a compact manner.

Chelsea-4-2-3-1-tactic-formation.png

Reminds me of the FM2016 blocks disaster; why break something that isn't broken?

As a Swans fan that line up makes me both nostalgic and sad at the same time :(

Edited by bennytee

2 hours ago, Marius_R said:

I always played using the default skins, either Dark or just the normal version, mainly because it didn`t kill my eyes when looking at screens. Guess I`ll have to use a custom skin for FM19. That purple....:eek:

I don't know why people are getting in a tizz about this. There's been an FM, an FM Dark, and an FM Light skin out the box for the last few editions. There's no reason to suspect it'll be any different this year. This purple effort is clearly the default 'main' FM skin this year. 

Worst case scenario is it's the only one there, in which case a custom skin will be available soon after which takes a couple of minutes to download and install. 

The world isn't ending here, folks. 

39 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I don't know why people are getting in a tizz about this. There's been an FM, an FM Dark, and an FM Light skin out the box for the last few editions. There's no reason to suspect it'll be any different this year. This purple effort is clearly the default 'main' FM skin this year. 

Worst case scenario is it's the only one there, in which case a custom skin will be available soon after which takes a couple of minutes to download and install. 

The lack of product design talent at the company is a concern though when it directly affects our user experience. Design can be the difference between doing something in 1 min versus doing something in 10 mins (see my example at the top of this page). Inevitably there is a lot of condensed information to pack into a small screen but poor design choices are making it difficult to digest and slower to learn.

You as a veteran player may have no problem but think about how overwhelming it can be to new players looking to get into the FM series. What about players with colour blindness? What about players who can't read certain actions because of poor colour contrast? This isn't just about presentation—accessbility is not something to be sniffed at in design so the game can be played by anyone not just yourself.

I also prefer things down the left, the icons along the top were getting too small by the time they made way. 

Would add the tactics screen looks wrong to me, players should be on the left of the pitch, but that's a personal thing. 

Not bothered about the purple, that'll be easily resolved if it gets annoying. 

Tactics seems a lot better with the introduction of a transition phase, it's been needed for a while and should help simplify things in terms of making a tactic. 

I've already paid for the game, I'm just hoping they sort out all the niggly wee things that annoy me. Regen faces changing every time you load a game, and the career history page, are massive bugbears that take me out the game. The suggestion someone made about the history page sounds tremendous. 

Looking like.. 

Hull - 2010-17 - then all your stats 

with an arrow at the end that when clicked expand into a season by season view of their career at that club, could maybe be expanded further and break the season total into competitions, but that might be a step far, or maybe better missing the middle step completely. 

Just now it's silly only showing league games for clubs, yet including trials. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

FM18 had the best default skins - main one, FM dark and FM light. If this Purple one is the default main FM skin in FM19, I sure hope that they didn't mess up the FM dark skin and it's much closer to colors/transparency to the FM18 version.

While it isn't the end of the world, it would be nice if SI continued providing quality default skins. People don't have time anymore to release or work on too many custom skins, so the choices are limited vs before (10 years ago for example).

Is the new typeface "GT America" by Grilli Type Foundry? With a solid design system this game could be presented in a fantastic way using the branding from the new graphic design agency. The team just needs some in-house support with UX and product.

On 27/09/2018 at 20:48, wpmk said:

Bit of a long post incoming. I get that the injection of colour is there to give the product/brand some new energy, and it's probably inspired somewhat by EA's presentation of FIFA, but from a UX point of view it really becomes difficult to know what I'm looking at—while making it slower to digest lots of information.

2.png.3d069fabaaed6daf634f65eab29459a3.p

This screen for example. There is a colour code listed at the top to show top level training information such as injury risk etc. but in the schedule there's a new conflicting colour code. Does "Defending Wide" mean there's a increased injury risk because they're both set in red? And that "Attacking Wings" reduces fatigue because they're both green?

As a product designer, I find the visual contrast and hierarchy really difficult to comprehend. The actionable buttons are actually secondary in the UI by being reduced in opacity while the colour coded slots with rounded edges look more clickable, more important. I'm not even sure if some of the colours meet basic accessbility benchmarks.

As a user you want your eyes drawn to the most important bits of information and functionality but I find it difficult to decipher, especially at a glance.

The SI team seem pretty good at listening and responding to players' feedback on here so hopefully they can tweak some real pain points if there are enough concerns raised by the community. I just hope they talked to some users and tested ideas with them in the making of FM19. That's the key to designing good products.

Most UX/UI designers often say FM is a mess in this regard, and frankly nothing ever seems to copy over from screen to screen. I mean FM18 has some glaring UX issues, that were picked up in beta, but never fixed. It's one of those "for next year things".

Question. Is the words of the top menu are based on the teams color scheme? Much like it happen on FM18?

I ask this, is because, if it is I need to correct a color scheme of my fantasy teams (due to red words can't be read in a vivid blue background). This is not a bug, but a conflict of colours.

4 hours ago, grade said:

Question. Is the words of the top menu are based on the teams color scheme? Much like it happen on FM18?

I ask this, is because, if it is I need to correct a color scheme of my fantasy teams (due to red words can't be read in a vivid blue background). This is not a bug, but a conflict of colours.

Yes you can see how the colours/text change for the different teams shown in the screenshots, also looks like it affects the highlighted item on the sidebar as well.

1 hour ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Yes you can see how the colours/text change for the different teams shown in the screenshots, also looks like it affects the highlighted item on the sidebar as well.

Then I have to review my fantasy teams for conflict of colours (so people can read it better).

This is the one part of the reveal that I thought was weak or underwhelming. I can live with the intense purple, but overall this feels like another strange step backward for UI/UX that's always been, at best, unintuitive and cluttered. The decorative diagonal lines and bars are particular bizarre to me; I'm not sure what they're supposed to signify or communicate (goal netting? maybe?), and they hurt the legibility of any type in front of them. They also seems sort of haphazard? And the combination of those sharp lines and points (for example, the selection bar under submenus) with rounded corners elsewhere just looks like multiple people worked on different elements without every speaking to one another. The angles aren't even consistent from one element to another!

And then the selection on the left, with the point of the angle touching the straight line? And then another dividing rule style in the sidebar that is totally inconsistent with the decorate horizontal bars (see Homepage/Inbox/Squad at the top for instance)? It just feels like nonsensical visual flourish that makes parsing content at a glance harder.

Sharp square corners in one place, rounded corners in another, angled lines at random, lots of truncated type (if this is a problem with responsive design for different resolutions, there has to be a better solution!) ... I just don't get it. That's even before the garish primary colorization of things, which looks especially bad with multiple dark blues against the purple. As a user above noted, it looks like the horrible Windows tiles that everyone revolted against years ago.