What programming language was CM97/98 written in?

Many thanks, very kind of you.  I know Oliver is a very busy person, but is there any way I could ask him a few questions? These are questions I can't solve on my own and I've been struggling with this for a long time and he could possibly be of great help here. What I'm dying to know is: how to improve morale in CM97/98. I tried to use CheatEngine (via dosbox) and probably there's a static parameter, something like Motivating Ability for computer managers, but I don't know what to look for. Any, even smallest hints, would be much appreciated in that they would probably save me a lot of time. Of course I realise quite some time has passed and he probably doesn't remember. But I thought it's worth a shot in any case.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, EdL said:

I just asked Ov for you, he said C and maybe a few bits were C++

Remember asking Marc once, he said some of it was probably very old school K&R C as well... 

2 minutes ago, astandet said:

Many thanks, very kind of you.  I know Oliver is a very busy person, but is there any way I could ask him a few questions? These are questions I can't solve on my own and I've been struggling with this for a long time and he could possibly be of great help here. What I'm dying to know is: how to improve morale in CM97/98. I tried to use CheatEngine (via dosbox) and probably there's a static parameter, something like Motivating Ability for computer managers, but I don't know what to look for. Any, even smallest hints, would be much appreciated in that they would probably save me a lot of time. Of course I realise quite some time has passed and he probably doesn't remember. But I thought it's worth a shot in any case.

Just win matches.  ;)

• SI Staff

It was written in K&R C - its basically a slight precursor of C (ie. with less typing than the standard C).

: how to improve morale in CM97/98

Signing new contracts and performing well was about the only way if I remember right, signing new players also helps with performances if your team was struggling (as they come in with better morale which helps) ... do bear in mind its a fair while since I worked on the 97/98 code and I came in late on the cycle for that release so only did bug-fixing and such ....

Thank you for your responses. The thing is, though, the game was programmed in a way that really made it impossible to match morale of some computer-controlled sides . Performance-wise I'm doing great (except for goalkeepers) but morale is still low - even after I won the triplet. Man Utd (Alex Ferguson - Motivating Ability 200/200) - their morale is bound to be Superb all across the spectrum after a while, even if they do poorly in all the competitions. What it looks like to me is that changing one parameter - equivalent of "Motivating Ability" for AI managers - might solve the issue for good. But maybe I'm wrong and it's much more complicated.

This "Motivating Ability" for human managers seems to be set to something in the region of 80 - that's the Motivating Ability of Ricardo Gomes , manager of Paris-SG, whose morale closely resembles that of human-controlled sides.

Archived