Stadium architecture

Hi guys. I have a proposal to FM designers. Please make that stadiums like real ones. At least; you can make similiar. 

Club has 10.000 audience capacity but it's stadium seems like 40.000 capacity in view.

For example:, My club is Denizlispor FC from TURKEY:; audience capacity is 15.000. All sections of the stadium are single storey. But; in game; Denizlispor's stadium seems like old trafford

I think; stadium details is very important. At least; i wish; one day FM will make staidums like real architecture. 

What do yuo think? Do you support me? 

We all support you, but SI can't replicate stadiums due to licensing issues. That's why each stadium appearance is randomly generated (upon certain criteria) when creating new save game and could happen to look very different from the real one. 

3 dakika önce, Haiku said:

We all support you, but SI can't replicate stadiums due to licensing issues. That's why each stadium appearance is randomly generated (upon certain criteria) when creating new save game and could happen to look very different from the real one. 

Hi fellow. I just meant to be similar architecture. Not real design. I think if SI designs similar stadiums, they dont have to pay a license. 

16 minutes ago, Guthrie said:

I'd settle for them not getting in the way of the camera on corners. 

There is one stadium in my league that when the director view pans to the corner, the screen is half-filled by a corner pillar.  I find myself moving my head to watch what is happening!

In regards to the mismatched architecture, another thing that is sometimes out of place is the stadium TV.

image.thumb.png.43f8d9717f122e9372becc82b57f6615.pngimage.thumb.png.169553baa572f9a1a30da8853e3d30d5.png

Take this as an example. This stadium holds around 9.5k people, and is used by a team that has never left the italian third tier (not even in-game), yet they have that huge TV. This would be outrageous IRL.

I've looked at the stadium San Giovanni has in the save. It holds 5.6k people, yet the only visible difference with Carrarese's stadium is the lack of the TV.

(PS: I still miss that in the FM17 beta the stadium TV also showed the interface for some fourth-wall screwing)

Edited by llDracoll

18 hours ago, Haiku said:

Excuses. What do you mean replicate stadiums? We aint asking SI to build a carbon copy replica of Old Trafford. But having the stadium look as close to real life without being a replica, is not a licensing issue. 

I believe SI uses an outside studio for their artwork and it looks like they start from scratch every year.  In my opinion the most realistic was probably FM16,at least in the medium to large stadiums,  they appear less realistic since then and FM18 looks the least realistic since 3D was introduced (massive stair wells, picnic tables etc).  We know they can't use real stadiums because of licensing issues, but at least let them resemble a real football stadium

1 hour ago, Preveza said:

Excuses. What do you mean replicate stadiums? We aint asking SI to build a carbon copy replica of Old Trafford. But having the stadium look as close to real life without being a replica, is not a licensing issue. 

I'm sure SI's legal team will be in touch with you soon so that you can tell them where they've been going wrong with their licensing issues :D.

Joking apart though, look at something simple such as a running track around a pitch.  Not so many in the UK perhaps (West Ham is one exception there) but in countries such as Italy where there are many such stadia, have you ever noticed how there is no in game stadium with a running track?  Even the in game London Stadium doesn't have a track.  Licensing issues go beyond just carbon copies, which sucks.

On 22/09/2018 at 01:26, herne79 said:

I'm sure SI's legal team will be in touch with you soon so that you can tell them where they've been going wrong with their licensing issues :D.

Joking apart though, look at something simple such as a running track around a pitch.  Not so many in the UK perhaps (West Ham is one exception there) but in countries such as Italy where there are many such stadia, have you ever noticed how there is no in game stadium with a running track?  Even the in game London Stadium doesn't have a track.  Licensing issues go beyond just carbon copies, which sucks.

LOL.Fair enough. I am not aware about the smaller intricacies regarding what is considered copyright or not; i would not have thought a running track around a stadium would mean that is a licensing issue, but if it is as you say, then I understand. Did not know it was as sensitive as that

I'd just like stadiums to look more realistic, not necessarily like their counterparts in real life. I hate when I visit a stadium and all the stands have huge tunnels everywhere in them. It means that you do not have a huge wall of supporters behind a goal, say, with some clubs who probably should have them. It is purely cosmetic, but it would be nice to see a lot less tunnels everywhere in 2019.

8 hours ago, thomit said:

A stadium editor and some keen modders, there's the answer. But now that SI have started to put "real" advertising in the grounds, I guess there would be a few problems with that too.

There is a stadium Mod floating around for FM18 - I could never get it to work properly, but others did.

Stadiums that look like they were designed by someone who has actually been to a football ground would be a good start!

What's with the picnic tables with sun umbrellas and giant footballs?

And seats with massive gaps between them?

Not to mention the fact that the stands don't seem to have any sides to them.  Health & Safety would have most of the stands closed down.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Add it to the threads in the Feature Request forum.

it was requested many times in request forum, and in editors hideaway, and it's highly requested feature by users 

1 minute ago, Bigpole said:

it was requested many times in request forum, and in editors hideaway, and it's highly requested feature by users 

It never does any harm to request it again, especially in the Feature Request forum- SI note and log all requests raised in that forum for sure.

On 21/09/2018 at 16:26, herne79 said:

City builders get around this issue in a very simple way, they allow the user base to import objects into the game.  There is no reason why SI couldn't have done this in FM for stadiums.  

At the very least they could do something like the old Playstation football management game that let you build a stadium from a series of presets stands and corners.

I know there's this thing SI have about "it's not realistic, the manager doesn't get involved in that' - but the editor already allows the player to change the game world in ways a manager can't. There's no reason why the visual world  of the game (kits and stadiums) shouldn't also be available to the player to customise during an ongoing save - stadium customisation is the big one, but changing kits over time is also something we should be able to do. Hell. we can't even name our stadium without resorting to a lnc file hack.

There are always two aspects to a simulation - the game world and the simulation itself. Realism in respect of the simulated character only needs to be there in the second of those. Particularly in a game that some people will play 30 or more simulated years,, the world will change; the cosmetics of a club even more.  SI's interpretation of realism in this respect works against immersion not for it.

Edited by rp1966

10 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

City builders get around this issue in a very simple way, they allow the user base to import objects into the game.  There is no reason why SI couldn't have done this in FM for stadiums.  

I'm sure there are reasons but I agree, I'd also like to see this aspect opened up to the community in some way.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, djpdavey said:

LMA Manager had an awesome stadium builder:

Looking back, it wasn’t really that good. For the most part it was just stand from other stadiums in the game and you could either match them or mismatch them and end up with a dumb stadium 

On 04/01/2019 at 13:46, Kanwulf said:

Looking back, it wasn’t really that good. For the most part it was just stand from other stadiums in the game and you could either match them or mismatch them and end up with a dumb stadium 

Partially true there were some original stands which werent on any stadiums you can use but you can create something quite nice. For example you could even up Old Trafford where you replace that small stand opposite the Sir Alex Ferguson stand.  That was the last LMA Manager version released as well but I think they had it for 4-5 years leading up to that.

14 hours ago, mr aok said:

Something like Cities: Skylines community does. Would that be ok? Surely it cant be illegal if its user-created add-on?

Many of us very lower league managers start out with clubs whose "stadium" is just a field with more cows than humans in attendance. Can't hardly be a legal issue there!

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Many of us very lower league managers start out with clubs whose "stadium" is just a field with more cows than humans in attendance. Can't hardly be a legal issue there!

I'd be wanting payment if you used my cow's likeness in your stadium mods ;)

2 hours ago, dcu223 said:

We can download Face packs , Data packs , League packs , Badges and Logos, Maybe a Stadium pack might on the way

As soon as the stadiums become customizable, yes, I believe so. But I think it's quite a big hurdle to get by first.

I'm no expert in legal matters, but how is a "running track between the stands and the pitch" or "bowl-like structure with three levels of stands" something than can be licensed?

I mean, it's just stuff that exists. I'd understand it if it were a brick-by-brick replica of privately owned structure, complete with other copyrighted material (like club name, logos, emblems, stadium name, sponsor logos etc), but as long as "generic" stuff goes, why is it an issue?

It's maybe a tad trickier when it's about unique and recognizable models (e.g. the towers at San Siro or Bologna, Wembley's "circlet") or locations (Braga, Marina Bay...), but sufficiently life-like generic versions of commonly used structures and combinations shouldn't be that big of an issue.
Or at least a vaguely consistency for the attendance and a bit more of variety and "realism" when it comes to generic stadiums. It'd be a step forward from the current "everything small looks like Generic League One stadium" and "everything big looks like Konami Stadium"

Since CM2 all those years ago I have asked for more realistic crowd noise. A crowd of 230 does not sound the same as a crowd of 20,000 with the sound turned down a bit. ;)

Also still the stadiums do not have any... character. They are all very generic. No clock tower at one end of the ground or a fans musical instrument area. And most distressing of all there's is still NO STATUE of the club's greatest ever manager... ME! ;)

• 4 months later...

Hey SI, I'm an architect and I'd be happy to design a few stadiums for the next couple of fm's. I got heaps of 3d modelling experience and I know the construction code which would help making them as realistic as possible! What do you think? 

Edited by fmonit

27 minutes ago, fmonit said:

Hey SI, I'm an architect and I'd be happy to design a few stadiums for the next couple of fm's. I got heaps of 3d modelling experience and I know the construction code which would help making them as realistic as possible! What do you think? 

SI regularly advertise here if they're in need of someone https://www.sigames.com/careers

Have a look around the site.

• 2 weeks later...

I often play games where I start in the lower leagues of the balkan nations. Most grounds there are either just a field or they have no seats and the stands look like roman ampitheatre style "seating" with cage fences around. It feels a little odd when the game generates a fully fledged stadium for my Macedonian 3rd tier team from a village that has a population of about 1500 people!

Ofcourse I also agree that the stadium part of FM could (and should) be heavily reviewed and improved. We all understand that you can't replicate the actual stadiums, but you can make them plausible for the club / attendance / tier without breaking any laws.

• 10 months later...

Bringing this back up as it annoys me no end. This isn't a licensing issue. Why do so many stadiums have three tiers? There are very few grounds in England with three tiers all the way around. Even Old Trafford isn't and it's thre largest ground in England. Three tiers would suggest a capacity north of 70,000 so why do clubs with a third of that have those grounds in the game? All that is needed is for someone to pay attention and add the appropriate ground template to the club when the game is being designed. Or better still give the customer the ability to have a few options via the editor. This way when I know my club has 4 stands I can change from a goliath wraparound to something with 4 stands. Licensing has nothing to do with it.