Older Leader, Now Rotation Status, Should He Remain Captain?

I have an older player who has been my captain for a few years now. He's dropping to rotation status in his last contract year this year. Should I keep him as captain?

I don't think the players will get upset by changing it, so leaving that out of the equation ... does it matter if your captain and vice-captain aren't playing? Is there some sort of leadership penalty or something for playing the game with out either of these two players, and having a random fill in captain depending on the lineup?

I'm fine with keeping him and my vice-captain in place, as when someone complains, they are pretty good at getting the player over his issues. But if there's an on-field penalty of some kind for playing with a substitute captain, then I'd consider switching.

It is certainly better if your captain sees the field, but it isn't something where you're going to see a massive difference, at least not a noticeable one.

Certainly, you'll want to make sure that your "substitute" captains are setup correctly, to where you have a good player with good leadership taking the armband on the pitch.  

The problem is my two best leaders (15/15 leadership/teamwork and 15/16) are both rotation players. They are the existing Captain/Vice-Captain.

Amongst my everyday starters the best are 12/12, 12/16, 12/13, 12/14. All 26-28 years old. the 12/12 and the 12/14 will probably play 2/3 of the games. The 12/16 and 12/13 will play every game if fit.

So it's a bit of a pickle that I'm in here.

My AssMan is recommending that I keep the existing captain/vice captain, both have rotation squad status (not sure if that is taken into account in the AssMan recommendation or not).

1 minute ago, Joey Numbaz said:

The problem is my two best leaders (15/15 leadership/teamwork and 15/16) are both rotation players. They are the existing Captain/Vice-Captain.

Amongst my everyday starters the best are 12/12, 12/16, 12/13, 12/14. All 26-28 years old. the 12/12 and the 12/14 will probably play 2/3 of the games. The 12/16 and 12/13 will play every game if fit.

So it's a bit of a pickle that I'm in here.

Just have those guys 12/12, 12/16, etc, as your backup captains.  That way they will be taking the armband on the pitch when your existing Captain and Vice Captain aren't playing -- this way, you still have quality leadership on the pitch, but you still have your more esteemed captains "running the show" off the pitch, so to speak.

Yeah, I think you are correct, that's what I'll do. I'm pretty sure the captain is going to retire when his contract is up after this season, so I can deal with it then. They played 17 and 21 games respectively in the league last year (out of 38). I imagine it will be similar this year.

Just now, Joey Numbaz said:

Yeah, I think you are correct, that's what I'll do. I'm pretty sure the captain is going to retire when his contract is up after this season, so I can deal with it then. They played 17 and 21 games respectively in the league last year (out of 38). I imagine it will be similar this year.

Yeah, especially in a situation where they'll still get that many matches, I'd keep them and just utilize the backup captains.

I wouldn't change captains etc just because of playing time if they are effective in helping you off the field.  Chances are one of them will be playing in most games and as long as you put the alternatives in order, you should be OK.

7 hours ago, FrazT said:

I wouldn't change captains etc just because of playing time if they are effective in helping you off the field.  Chances are one of them will be playing in most games and as long as you put the alternatives in order, you should be OK.

This. If you have a good relationship with the captain, it can make so many things easier in the game. More so if he is highly influential and well known as a player. The "get captain to have a chat to the player" option when a player is unhappy can be wonderful if you have the respect of the captain (or player who does the talking) and the players respect the captain.

Archived