Is there any benefit to winning youth competitions?

As the title says. My youth team just won the U21 Cup and it got me thinking, does this benefit me in anyway or is it just a thing that exists? Does winning youth competitions increase mental stats? Player reputation? Club reputation?

As far as I can tell all your reward is a question in the press conference asking you if any of them will be integrated into the first team, and if you answer yes, a follow-up of which one in particular? It also suggests you've done a good job of hoarding young players.

If you have a B team and they win the league, I've found their manager ends up higher up the list of "icons" than I did when I won the first team's league.

If you have a successful youth squad, I have found it easier to keep them at the club rather than them demanding to go out on loan to sit on the bench at some team 2 divisions below, despite them promising to play them as a key player.  As for reputation etc, I doubt it.

4 hours ago, FrazT said:

If you have a successful youth squad, I have found it easier to keep them at the club rather than them demanding to go out on loan to sit on the bench at some team 2 divisions below, despite them promising to play them as a key player.  As for reputation etc, I doubt it.

If that's the case I really think FM missing a mark here. Even just referencing the victory more often would be cool, cuz once I win them I forget who was ever on the team..

2 minutes ago, steakfaced said:

If that's the case I really think FM missing a mark here. Even just referencing the victory more often would be cool, cuz once I win them I forget who was ever on the team..

It will be in the player history won;t it?

If your u18s win everything - there would be a fair few of them coming through over the next few years anyway  I would think.

17 hours ago, Blah_1123 said:

As the title says. My youth team just won the U21 Cup and it got me thinking, does this benefit me in anyway or is it just a thing that exists? Does winning youth competitions increase mental stats? Player reputation? Club reputation?

From a player development perspective, playing in matches helps their development - but so also does playing at the right competitive level and player performance during those matches.  So, if you're winning the U21 Cup, your players must be performing quite well and at a decent competitive level.  Therefore they'd likely get a small helping hand in development.  It won't be much because Cup matches are few and far between, but every little helps.

It's the Sky Cycling team adage: individually such little gains don't mean much, but collectively they can add up to make quite a difference.

the only way to know this would be to compare before and after stats / hidden stats

At worst then its a good run of matches in a team which will improve morale. IRL I think there have been many youth players with ots of potential that never get fullfilled. Additionally some youth players mature younger than others and then their development flatlines whilst others continue

I would expect to see a slight change in ability of playing in big games / under pressure etc as winning youth competitions should help develop a winning mentality. However i suspect FM will not recognise this in anyway other than perhaps a history stat. Why not add this as a future game improvement suggestion?

• Administrators
On 16/08/2018 at 11:05, herne79 said:

From a player development perspective, playing in matches helps their development - but so also does playing at the right competitive level and player performance during those matches.  So, if you're winning the U21 Cup, your players must be performing quite well and at a decent competitive level.  Therefore they'd likely get a small helping hand in development.  It won't be much because Cup matches are few and far between, but every little helps.

It's the Sky Cycling team adage: individually such little gains don't mean much, but collectively they can add up to make quite a difference.

I think herne79 makes a valid point here. The higher standard the match in the competition (so say in theory the final is a bigger deal than the first round) plus the fact it's against what you would assume is a better opposition will help with the development of your player. Likewise they'll get a morale boost and generally happier players tend to play and train slightly better. 

Do youth matches have an importance weighting just like senior matches?

I’m not sure as we know that for U18s their development curve is driven by their training rather than match experience so in my mind weighting youth match importance for the purpose of match experience modelling would seem to be a redundant process.

The 18-21 age group matches might be different but then again I’d expect the experience to have a limited value other than setting a low end attribute mentality profile that can be improved upon with further positive senior experience.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Barside said:

Do youth matches have an importance weighting just like senior matches?

I’m not sure as we know that for U18s their development curve is driven by their training rather than match experience so in my mind weighting youth match importance for the purpose of match experience modelling would seem to be a redundant process.

The 18-21 age group matches might be different but then again I’d expect the experience to have a limited value other than setting a low end attribute mentality profile that can be improved upon with further positive senior experience.

Yeah there is an importance rating - essentially the higher the rep of the match the bigger the potential boost. 

Archived