I must be the worst manager ever!!!

Hello

Im managing blackburn in the championship and im losing like every game (won 1 drew 4 lost 11) scored 10 let in 28

Im rocking a defensive 4-4-2 on standard and fluid with clear ball to flanks, look for overlap, play wider with no joy whatsoever

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

15339837234194750447612036950629.jpg

2 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

4 players playing in unfamiliar roles.

No wingers or playmaker to get you forward. Poacher suggests you are a slight underdog hoping to hit on the break..

Poacher really does not suggest that. I’ve succesfully used the role at big teams without playing on the counter.

1 hour ago, Banno200 said:

m rocking a defensive 4-4-2

This caught my eye. What about the tactic makes you think it is defensive? It certainly doesn't seem that way.

I would recommend have a look at the "please read" pinned thread. There are quite a few good guides in there and in particular, Pairs and Combinations can be a good start.  :thup:

40 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

4 players playing in unfamiliar roles.

No wingers or playmaker to get you forward. Poacher suggests you are a slight underdog hoping to hit on the break..

When i play with wingers and a playmaker im always exposed down the wings, always a cut back across the goal for a tap in

10 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

This caught my eye. What about the tactic makes you think it is defensive? It certainly doesn't seem that way.

I would recommend have a look at the "please read" pinned thread. There are quite a few good guides in there and in particular, Pairs and Combinations can be a good start.  :thup:

Where can i find the thread? Im on my mobile so its hard to navigate 

1 hour ago, Banno200 said:

When i play with wingers and a playmaker im always exposed down the wings, always a cut back across the goal for a tap in

Alot of wing goals go in on fm, you are one of the leagues favourites to go up, setup positive and put the players in their most familiar roles until you get more fm experience. 

Make sure team cohesion is your main focus alongside tactical familiarity and make sure your player roles have balance and links. Your results will start picking up, I GUARANTEE you.

1 hour ago, Yisz said:

Poacher really does not suggest that. I’ve succesfully used the role at big teams without playing on the counter.

Name a world class team or league favourites who play a poacher (get behind the defensive line)

32 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

Alot of wing goals go in on fm, you are one of the leagues favourites to go up, setup positive and put the players in their most familiar roles until you get more fm experience. 

Make sure team cohesion is your main focus alongside tactical familiarity and make sure your player roles have balance and links. Your results will start picking up, I GUARANTEE you.

Name a world class team or league favourites who play a poacher (get behind the defensive line)

Just because no team favourites to win the league plays it irl that it can't work in fm in anything other than a counter tactic.

2 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

@Andrew_Goats_Gruff im in the championship so im not the favourites to go up lol, im still 2nd to bottom with half a season left haha

@Banno200  

5 hours ago, Lambo95 said:

You’ve got one midfielder set to bomb on and the other to move wider. It’s no surprise you’re losing when you have zero cover in midfield

Lambo's on the right lines here.  Nobody is protecting your centre backs and just to compound it you've set them both to Stopper duty.  That means they'll come out to meet attackers and leave large gaps behind which the opposition will have a field day in.  Start with those 4 roles.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

@Banno200  

Lambo's on the right lines here.  Nobody is protecting your centre backs and just to compound it you've set them both to Stopper duty.  That means they'll come out to meet attackers and leave large gaps behind which the opposition will have a field day in.  Start with those 4 roles.

Ok thanks i'll change the roles around then, cheers for the advice

28 minutes ago, Banno200 said:

Ok thanks i'll change the roles around then, cheers for the advice

My bad didn’t realise you was in the championship, if you are huge under dogs then you MUST have defensive cover, I just use a deep-lying play maker, wide midfielders are Tony Pulis negative though. You have a ball playing defender in Mulgrew (I think I can see that) yet you have no midfield to support it, the attackint centre mid leaves a huge gap in the middle while the Mezzala also leaves the centre area and it’s a mix of inside winger and winger, that’s where the role focuses around that kind of area so you can only imagine the space you leave through the middle, set mulgrew to your deep-lying playmaker, that will instantly improve your team.

Best piece of advice I would give you is to change one of your CMs onto a defend duty to ensure that someone's first thought is to protect. Something as simple as a CM (d) role would probably do the trick. 

At a guess, it looks like you've just tried to make everyone play in their perfect role and get the dots looking as green as possible within the 4-4-2? There is some logic there, but you'd be far better served thinking about what the team needs first (i.e. a defensively-minded midfielder) rather than what the individual wants to do. Pogba at Man Utd is a good example of this currently (albeit very debatable) - what does he want to do? What does José have him doing? Why? Think about what you need from your players and you'll see results improve immediately :) 

With just 2 players on defensive duties it is NOT a defensive 442

I'd also advise against setting the 'Automatic' instruction, all players with that will have whatever the "team mentality" is, which for you is standard

so they are neither particularly defensively or attack minded

A defensive 442 would have 5-6 "Defend" duties set, with at the most 1 Attack duty maybe even 0

As far as I've found, 442 can be a tricky tactic to play, as you need some individual players that are good on their roles in order for it to work as it should. It's the standard tactic, but against others, it's not generally powerful. 

- One of the midfielders needs to be great at getting the ball from the opponent. He needs good acceleration, pace, tacking, he needs to roam around the middle of the field and grab the ball. He will be the core of your team. If you don't have him, there's not much point in playing 442. 
- The other center midfielder should be a great passer and act as a playmaker. 
- Wingers also need to be good. Here you have some freedom. I personally have good mid wingers that will be supported by the back wingers. It depends on your team, you can play inside forward, inverted winger, it really depends on what your players can do. On back wingers, you can get away with some lower players, they are needed mostly to be behind your mid winger, so they will be able to be passed upon. 
- Central defenders need to be good central defenders. There's not much to it, really, but they require a bit of pace and agility beside the obvious attributes. They will sometimes have to tacke into enemy wingers, leaving the mid open. If they aren't good at that and they don't get there fast enough, you'll be in a lot of trouble. Also, I set my defenders to play short, risk-free passes, but if they have good passing attributes, you can ignore this. 
- On 442, strikers can sometimes act like playmakers one to each other. So having good passing, acceleration, is good. I like to set my strikers to close down and move into channels. 

Having this in mind, you really need to watch games and see how your team is doing. I personally see team instructions more as sideline shouts than general game plans, because you adjust them based on how your team is doing. You'll sometimes have to play wider, other times you'll have to play deeper or more forward, it's hard to predict how the other team will move. 

Mentality and team shape is something that you need to fiddle with and understand them. Just because you select "Defensive" mentality, does not mean that your team will play defensive. It means that the backline will be pushed a bit more back, and player will play safer, looking for counter attacks. But if your players aren't good for counter attacks, you might be better pushing your line forward and setting offside traps if your defence line moves well, has good positioning, teamwork. The same with team shape. Fluid means that your players will move more in order to make plays. But if your players are bad at moving around, not fast enough, with bad passing, decision making, vision, you will end up with them being out of position and caught off guard by the counter-attack. 

You also have player traits that really make a huge difference in how a tactic is gonna work. If that ball winning midfielder is gonna have nasty traits, like arguing with officials, diving into tackles, and he's gonna be aggressive, you're gonna have some troubles, as he's gonna have a nice collection of yellow cards, and pretty often more than one in a single game, he'll give free kicks to the opponent, penalties, and leave you one man down. So you need to take them into consideration too. 

Just watch the game and don't go overboard with instructions. Clearing ball to flanks is a tricky one for example. You need to ask yourself if it's a good approach. Your full backs are such a great passers that can hit long balls to your flanks, so your wingers will do something with them? If they throw them outside of the pitch most of the time, you're just giving the ball away. Also, are your flanks your play makers? That's where your attacks will start from? If they don't have good attributes to make things happen, you're just wasting the opportunities. Playing wider can be good or bad. If you're playing against a narrow team, you might end up being too wide for your own sake, or if your passing isn't generally good, you're asking your players to pass longer when you ask them to play wider, if that means that less passes will hit the target, you might get a negative outcome from it. Looking for overlaps, again, are the backliners of the opposite time deep or pushed up? If they are pushed up, your overlaps might work great, but if they aren't, you will give opportunities away. 

What I want to say is that you need to answer yourself to some question before setting up the instructions. If they aren't gonna improve your game or you don't understand them too well, just leave them off. If you don't instruct your team to look for overlaps it does not mean that they won't see them overlapping enemy 

Beside this, there's not a strategy that will win you all the games. Don't know how good Blackburn is, but it depends how strong the team really is. Because if you fought for relegation last year, or you just promoted, you can't expect to win many games. Sometimes you're gonna lose and there's nothing wrong with it. But sometimes you're able to turn a lose into a draw by just watching first 15 minutes of a game. Just watch it in full, see if things are going well or if they crumble. If they crumble, think of ways to turn those games around, apply the instructions and see how that's going for you. 

In my LLM Journeyman save, where I play 442, I kinda play around two or three good players. I usually like to have them in positions that interract with each others. Right now I have a good BWM, a great playmaker and a good winger. And my games develop around these three. The BWM gets the balls, pass it to playmaker, that's getting the ball forward to wings or strikers. Most of my goals come from passes from inside the penalty area, as I don't have great strikers, and I play with inside forward that's supported by attacking back winger, he moves inside and pass to my strikers. But If I would have good strikers, I would play more classical 442, where I would instruct my wingers to just throw balls from the byline into strikers for them to score. But my instructions kinda change from game to game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived