Unhappy influential player

Hello all,

Recently in my save I went from Vitória (Brazil) to Valencia. Got there with 10 matches to go in the season, almost in drop zone. After checking the squad and these 10 matches, it was clear to me how I needed to reshape the squad to get them back to winning ways, even without money.

In my opinion, there were 2 key players: Soler and Zaza. But surprisingly I had 2 great offers for each and ended up selling them. With the money, I went ahead and signed 6 starting caliber players. Nobody complained.

And, with 1 week to finish the transfer window, I receive a reasonable offer for Neto, my 3.5-star goalie, who's 30, with a very high 1-year left contract. As I have a good reserve (Domenech) and a wonderkid U-19, I sold him.

And it was the end of the f*ing world! Parejo, the team leader complained, so I signed Dragowski, who'll surely be better than Neto next season, and the wonderkid might be better than both later on. And Parejo, as he's in last year of contract, has already decided that he wanted to leave for free and won't let me talk to him.

And oddly enough, 10 matches into the season, we are doing wonderfully (between 1st and 2nd), Parejo eventually dropped it, is very happy, but still won't accept a contract offer, and 2 new players out of the blue started to complain about Neto (selling star player)! Why?

We're doing much better than before! Why are you complaining about the average goalie who left???

Honestly, I understand the intentions behind having a complain system. But in this case it's totally unfair as there's literally nothing that I can do. And probably, later on, the board will complain that I let Parejo leave for free, even though he's "very happy with the way the team is performing" now.

So, with 6 months to go in his contract, as I knew he was going to leave for 0, I offered him to clubs. Sold him for 5MM 6 months earlier, and now all the other influential players are complaining.

Just great...

Could be that you are selling what some of the squad see as 'core players' over-dramatic possibly but you are the new boy, your reputation will count for a lot, they may feel you have waltzed in and ripped out the heart of the dressing room - and who the hell are you anyway? Some dude from South America? Ppffft

Sorry if that came across as blunt, but that could be the way the squad is feeling.

I think that @Snorks has got the right idea. You have just started and have sold some of the core influential group so it is understandable that you will get some resistance.  If you have success on the field, the disquiet will ease, so just run with and continue to win games.

When I've sold an influential player and somebody complains that I've sold a team leader I had good results by telling the complainer that he's an influential player and that he should step up and become a team leader himself.

11 hours ago, Snorks said:

Could be that you are selling what some of the squad see as 'core players' over-dramatic possibly but you are the new boy, your reputation will count for a lot, they may feel you have waltzed in and ripped out the heart of the dressing room - and who the hell are you anyway? Some dude from South America? Ppffft

Sorry if that came across as blunt, but that could be the way the squad is feeling.

Sure, but why didn't it happen with Soler and Zaza? And why did it happen with Neto? It makes no sense. Soler was as influential as Parejo and more than Neto. He was the team leader.

I don't see a problem in it happening. I see a problem in the game not allowing me to explain myself. And if I can, it (the AI) does not understand the argument. Let's recap: yes, I sold the starting goalkeeper, but the reserve is as good as him, I've signed one that is almost as good but with potential to be better, and we have a wonderkid that will be better.

And second: Parejo got so mad that he declared himself as leaving on a free transfer 1 year before the end of the contract and 6 months later, he was very happy, but still leaving. The game should've let me at least talk to him. At least make him an offer when he's happy.

And even further, the board and/or the team should not complain if I sell a player that has already declared that he's leaving. What could I have done?

And yeah, I'm some dude from South America who took the team from the 16th place to 1st in La Liga in 8 months, and who the board thinks is untouchable.

(you did not come across as blunt, it's just to make my point to the team)

I like the interaction mechanic, but if it's not working perfectly and if it becomes unfair, it might be best not to have until it's more polished. 

Difficult to answer as there are so many things going on that create the situation you are handling, and the 'game' mechanics you interact with are, well, game mechanics and not real people.

Your manager rep increases slowly, 8 months isn;t a great deal of time to build, your qualifications in the game, the player personality profiles. Just because the reserve keeper is as good as the first team keeper, doesn't cover the fact that the first team keeper has good mates in the squad who could be annoyed at you selling him, could be as simple as the keeper you just sold has a hot wife who was also the striker's sidechick and now she has to move to another city. It happens IRL lol.

Unfortunately the game ain;t as logical as a human being, and yes, some of the interactions can seem dumb, but the yare not really conversations, they are multi-choice 'buttons' to press - some work some don;t, some work better than others. I find it hard to discuss when people say things like 'the board shouldn't complain' or this player 'can't be annoyed because we did this' because they obvisously have a rigid idea of what 'should' happen, of what is 'right' but the game doesn't work that way. Neither does IRL to be fair.

In summary- the in-game player interaction module is one of the most difficult to programme because as @Snorks says, human logic is hard to code.  Often the answer to a player request or demand that you might want to say is not there and you have to choose one that does not fully explain your position.  While this module is selecting a pre-coded reply, it will never be fully correct. It works most of the time, but there is no doubt that it does need some tuning.

16 hours ago, thizaum said:

Sure, but why didn't it happen with Soler and Zaza? And why did it happen with Neto? It makes no sense. Soler was as influential as Parejo and more than Neto. He was the team leader.

Possibly because they were in different social groups? Guessing Neto wasn't just influential, but also part of a core social group.

17 hours ago, Snorks said:

could be as simple as the keeper you just sold has a hot wife who was also the striker's sidechick and now she has to move to another city. It happens IRL lol.

Got me laughing there... thanks!

14 hours ago, FrazT said:

In summary- the in-game player interaction module is one of the most difficult to programme because as @Snorks says, human logic is hard to code.  Often the answer to a player request or demand that you might want to say is not there and you have to choose one that does not fully explain your position.  While this module is selecting a pre-coded reply, it will never be fully correct. It works most of the time, but there is no doubt that it does need some tuning.

I completely understand, as it makes a lot of sense. But as you said: tuning. As it's hard to code, why not have it less black and white? Why not have different shades of grey so that this "could be erroneous" mechanic in the game still has impact on gameplay, but less terrible impact when it's wrong?

Again, I'm not complaining about Parejo complaining that Neto left. I'm fine with that and it really happens IRL. I'm complaining that this led to him declaring that he would leave on a free, as he did not believe in me (or in my words, or in my signings, or in my rep, whatever), and when I was able to prove him wrong (as he wasn't unhappy anymore), he was still leaving on a free and I did not have any chance to speak to him or offer a new contract. This does not make sense IRL.

If I could at least ask him to stay at this point, or make any promises, or even offer to double his salary, and then he told me that he still wanted to leave, then I would not be complaining.

I'd guess that what triggered the "leaving on a free" is not reversible at all. And this is the problem, imo.

9 minutes ago, thizaum said:

and when I was able to prove him wrong (as he wasn't unhappy anymore), he was still leaving on a free and I did not have any chance to speak to him or offer a new contract. This does not make sense IRL.

Yeah, I agree with you here. IMO, this is worth reporting as a bug, especially if you have a save from just before he changed to being happy again.

I think you need to consider being happy and being happy to stay as different statements. Ive been happy at work but still wamted a new role/challenge. IRL some players will bust a gut until last day of contract and others wil throw a hissy fit. Try and let them leave on good terms when you can. In terms of origonal post, it may have nothing to do with the player leaving but the fact that its the 3rd player in relatively quick succession from a position of influence. 

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Yeah, I agree with you here. IMO, this is worth reporting as a bug, especially if you have a save from just before he changed to being happy again.

No, I don't. Is there anyway to see the history of the changes in the player's info? I have the emails on the inbox, but there won't be one for "I'm happy now but I still want to leave".

1 hour ago, Bigmonkey79 said:

I think you need to consider being happy and being happy to stay as different statements. Ive been happy at work but still wamted a new role/challenge.

Sure, but then the player's info should show "wants a new challenge". I'm absolutely positive that there was a moment when he only had green points (no red points), still had the Fre button, and I tried offering the contract and the agent said he wasn't interested in signing a new contract.

1 hour ago, Bigmonkey79 said:

In terms of origonal post, it may have nothing to do with the player leaving but the fact that its the 3rd player in relatively quick succession from a position of influence. 

Again, sure. But the game should point that out. It did not.

Archived