What are your favourite attributes?

Interested to hear what attributes people look at first when assessing players and what you might look at for a tiebreaker? There are a lot of attributes that are all important, but everyone has their own particular preferences.

When I started playing the game I was all about technicals. Now that I'm more experienced it's always mentals. First thing I will check is Off The Ball/Positioning.  As more of a tiebreaker (stat I'd prefer to be high but can manage lower) I look to Determination.

As I buy young I don't mind low mentals - although sometimes I buy so young that my squad ends up with barely any tutors. However, as Aggression and Bravery don't seem to be able to be improved through training, especially if the player isn't a BWM / defender, I tend to look for someone who isn't deficient in them. Same with Work Rate / Teamwork (unless my tactic doesn't need them i.e. a selfish Poacher). Natural Fitness and Stamina are two I've overlooked in the past but now pay more attention to, given that successful saves mean you end up playing a lot of games. 

Depends what I am looking for in the squad - any characteristics that need to be improved, and what kind of squad I have ie top 5, mid-table or relegation candidates.

In general, Determination is a biggie for me.

Depending on the position, vision, flair, agility, pace, acceleration assuming all the technicals are equal.

58 minutes ago, Baodan said:

Determination and consistency.

We have a winner!

Joking apart, hidden attributes can be every bit as important (in some cases more so) than visible attributes.  Never overlook them.

Pace/acceleration. The current ME seems to reward pace almost as much as the FM12 days. A defensive high line is very effective and key in my tactic now but crumbles apart without pace in the defenders, pacey strikers grab lots of goals, pacey in wingers is crucial for them to beat their men; and even in the midfielders, specially those who rush into the area as auxiliary finishers such as my Mezzala, it seems to make a difference.

It's not the only thing that matters, but is a great tiebreaker. Eats lots of CA though.

I like to isolate a simple few for each position/role. Rather than apply a must have to every player.

This way you can pick up undervalued, underrated players that come in and do a great job.

i.e. a DLP needs to pass well (vision, passing, technique)

Winger needs to control it, beat his man, put the ball in (touch, dribbling, crossing pace nice to have)

Striker needs to put ball in net (anticipation, off the ball, finishing)

-----------

depending on type of system I create inc. type of service, roles etc those attributes will change

4 hours ago, herne79 said:

We have a winner!

Joking apart, hidden attributes can be every bit as important (in some cases more so) than visible attributes.  Never overlook them.

Yeah, I'm guilty of ignoring consistency or important match warnings if the rest of their attributes are good. Almost like I convince myself that it won't matter and I will be able to get the best out of the player. And then suddenly I'm buying Balotelli at Liverpool :D

I prefer to get players with at least decent ratings in as many of the following as possible;

Bravery, Determination , Decisions, Teamwork, Work Rate, Natural Fitness & Stamina.

I like my players to be committed & hard working even if they aren't technically awesome.

Physicals, especially pace/acceleration

Then after that Work Rate

I have a long list of attributes I care about deeply for defenders, and for most other positions a lot of them are optional, though Technique is useful for any remotely attacking player

I think Decisions is overrated and Anticipation/Concentration/Aggression/Flair underrated

Pace and acceleration above 15 always seemed like a waste to me. CA cost is too high and I like to play possession tactics, not counter-attacking. 

Players with low natural fitness will often get sold first. 

A wide player with high long throwing is an absolute godsend. 

Amc~ teamwork workrate agression flair. So hard to get a "worker" as a #10. Suppliments the missing body in mc with 4231. Agression=get involved.

In defense i play high press and high line  so cb with acceleration pace decisions anticipation  No great need for heading as theyre permanently running towards their own goal. As quality goes up i add first touch. I hate conceding goals after my cb covers a through ball then losses it after 1 sloppy touch ffs!

For fb its crossing strength technique...not really defenders at all. Hapily shove 32 year old beckham there!

I play 4231.  mc passing tackling work rate teamwork at 14 minimum. Often its my 2 against 3. I dont go for stamina tho~its easier to manage fatigue with subs than adding that to required attributes

Overall most preferred attribute is determination no work rate... no determination.

Inside forwads off the ball first touch finishing

Striker~finishing technique off the ball anticipation. Fowler over Owen!

As a last breaker presonality!

For older players, I look for Speed and Stamina. (I'm assuming they will have superior mental and technical attributes).

In general, I look for Passing, but I also like Vision.

In defense, I always look for a nice trio on Heading, Marking and Tackling.

5 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

Until Torminator posted, I'd have said "doesn't anyone value concentration?"  

Can be a great player, not much value to me if your head is always off in the clouds, switched off...

For certain positions yes.

On 19/07/2018 at 18:39, Bigmonkey79 said:

I hate conceding goals after my cb covers a through ball then losses it after 1 sloppy touch ffs!

while having about 20 meters of no one around him my CB stands in the way of a through ball. while the ball reaches him he trips over it (literally, the animation was of a player that encounters a physical challenge) and then stands in his place while a striker comes and scores. according to the commentary, he "had no problem intercepting that ball"

to the subject of the thread, good passing and vision for a striker and finishing for a midfielder are a great benefit, and generally a sing they were "raised right". teamwork for a striker makes him more likely to recycle the ball, and with a good high pressuring midfield it makes him way more likely to get the ball in a better position later rather than lose it or get in to a bad position dribbling.

Determination, determination and determination. 

My squad personality always ends up as "very determined", it's the attribute I look for and is a deal breaker unless he is VERY young and I can raise it with tutoring.

• SI Staff

As most people have said it has to be determination, along with work rate. Regardless of their talent a team with high determination can get you out of some tricky situations. High physicals as well are always a must. 

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:16, jaysdailydose said:

Until Torminator posted, I'd have said "doesn't anyone value concentration?"  

Can be a great player, not much value to me if your head is always off in the clouds, switched off...

And if you have 11 guys who concentrate really hard but still have terrible technical ability...

Concentration is in my top 5 attributes for CBs... other than that though it's another attribute I deem 'nice to have' rather than essential.

9 hours ago, That There Phil said:

Determination always.

After that, it depends on what kind of playing style I'm trying to build.

My current save I have really concentrated on determination - lost count of the 85th minute equalisers/winners we scored this season. Got no evidence to back it up, but I am convinced it's the high determination of the squad.

most of my recruiting is done at youth levels. In those cases I mainly want pace, acceleration, and agility (we play high press).

for senior level plug ins it’s really dependent on what I need on-pitch. Usually shy away from personalities that don’t offer any tutoring advantage unless I’m in a real pinch. Worth noting most of my senior purchases are role players; try and get stars at start of senior career.

Archived