Poll: How many seasons do you play before quitting?

How many seasons do you play before quitting for a new save?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. On FM 18, How many seasons do you typically play before quitting for a new save? (Obs: if you play multiple saves, count it from the time you stop a current save to create a new one).

• up to 5 seasons (around 2022)
    • between 6 and 10 seasons (between 2023 and 2027)
    • between 11 and 15 seasons (between 2028 and 2033)
    • between 16 and 20 seasons (between 2034 and 2039)
    • more than 21 seasons (2040 and beyond)

I've been playing with the same club for several seasons in FM18 now, and am getting a bit itchy about starting a new save at a different league/country.

Can you please answer the pool, and maybe share your reasons below as well. Thanks.

Edited by phd_angel
edited wording for more clarity

For me, there is no clear answer. I continue playing a save until I have either achieved my goals or lost interest in playing.

For example, I quit my FM17 Millwall save early into my fifth season after hitting a proverbial brick wall in the Championship. On the other end of the scale, my FM13 career has lasted 30+ seasons and won't end until I've won every major trophy with my current club Dagenham & Redbridge.

I get heavily involved in the editor to create a customised campaign. I tend to get 5-6 seasons in when I get the urge to update or improve my database, then go again. I'm just now caught in something that periodically happens - a period of work that means I can't spend any time on FM. If I leave my boys for more than a week or two I tend to get detached and lose my feeling for that career - that's another reason I abandon a campaign.

Been playing FM 07 on and off since... well 2007.

Even excluding the few years when I didn't play it at all, if my 2 big saves were 1 continuous save it'd be 46 years in and the year 2052.

(First save reached 2033, new one currently in 2025.)

Edited by git2thachoppa

Most of my saves are somewhere between 6 months and 3 seasons...I've played the last four FMs and I think my longest were:

15 - about 8 seasons, a bit of an accidental journeyman (got sacked twice in England then failed upwards until I ended up at Monaco and discovered Anthony Martial)

16 - one about 8 seasons, one was early 14th season

17 - 8.5 seasons 

18 - 4.5 seasons, in that I'm midway through season 5 on my longest current.

Ironically as I've got better at the game I'm more likely to quit i.e. I build a loan army to boost my clubs' finances then simply can't be bothered maintaining it, or I win everything with the style of play I want and just don't care after that. 

One of the things I need in this game is to use the editor mid-save to boost my competition. When challenge disappears I lose interest. In FM14 and 17 I lost interest within 5-6 seasons, although part of that was getting tired of seeing the same player hit the side of the net over and over again and disillusionment with how attractive the ME can render play even with very good players. Playing around with tactics for the sake of playing around doesn't appeal to me either. Unfortunately I can't find something else to do so I keep coming back.

I have the odd save that just takes off and over 20 seasons... But usually 15 is enough. By then pretty much all real players are retired. 

Plus i buy Fm yearly and i start my main save after the jan window release... 15 seasons takes me nicely up to november for the next game. 

I tend to just play the one save for as long as possible. The last few versions of FM I've either started at the bottom in Conference North/South or Scottish League Two.

Had an FM15 game that I played for a couple of years but the file corrupted which prompted me into buying FM17. The corrupted save made me super anal about saving a game now, I do 3 different named files, usually after two games or so. OCD, I know.

4 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

Had an FM15 game that I played for a couple of years but the file corrupted which prompted me into buying FM17. The corrupted save made me super anal about saving a game now, I do 3 different named files, usually after two games or so. OCD, I know.

I have 22 active save slots, saved any time there's lengthy preparations (pre-match, finding players, doing tactics and order of set-piece takers at the start of the season) or saved a day/week with lots of important fixtures elsewhere (World Cup, last day of somewhere's season etc.)

Edited by git2thachoppa

Historically I only manage 2 or 3 seasons but am currently in July 2024 and showing no signs of getting bored yet. I keep changing club once my contract expires(although I have been sacked once lol) and I think that's helping this time. I have 1 year left with my current team Sporting & I have already added the South American leagues as I plan to spend a few years there before returning to Europe.

In fact this is shaping up to potentially be my longest ever FM save - my record is 16 seasons on FM09.

I always rotate between two saves. I currently have my main save as Tromso, now in 2027/28 celebrating a decade at the club which for some odd reason I've enjoyed playing around with in each FM since FM16, I've kind of developped feelings for the team if I'm honest, and even though I'm winning the league easily every year there's just something that brings me back to it.

My other save is usually a Journeyman, but even though my computer is above average it still goes too slow for me with 85k+ players and I usually quit after my first 1-2 seasons, only to restart after I get bored of my main save. However, I'm now in 2020 in my most recent Journeyman, but that'll probably end since I'm playing in League 2 with Barrow where 7/23 of my playable players are all injured, 4 of which are 2 months or longer. Its just not enjoyable when I get battered 7 games back-to-back after almost sneaking into the playoffs despite being predicted as dead last.

Edited by ThatGuyYouKnow01

15 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

I have 22 active save slots, saved any time there's lengthy preparations (pre-match, finding players, doing tactics and order of set-piece takers at the start of the season) or saved a day/week with lots of important fixtures elsewhere (World Cup, last day of somewhere's season etc.)

Wow.

10 hours ago, ThatGuyYouKnow01 said:

I always rotate between two saves. I currently have my main save as Tromso, now in 2027/28 celebrating a decade at the club which for some odd reason I've enjoyed playing around with in each FM since FM16, I've kind of developped feelings for the team if I'm honest, and even though I'm winning the league easily every year there's just something that brings me back to it.

in the early CM days I had this with Motherwell, to the point I bought the shirt and went to see a few live games :D 

I've not played many seasons yet (not long got back to playing FM after a few years away) but once all the real players have retired out the game in aprox 15 years and it's nothing more than a database of tens of thousands of random regens I lose all and any interest. For me FM was always about getting to manage the real players you see every week - be it semi pros in the conference or the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world; players you can visualize and have some sort of basic connection/identification with. The lack of anything "real" in game of entirely computer generated names/attributes competing in 2073 seems a bit pointless and utterly devoid of any genuine connection to keep my interest IMO.

15 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

I forgot to add I also copy a save or 3 to USB too.

Other than a big house fire or cataclysmic event, I'm never losing my save. :lol:

Haha, that's dedication. We had a problem with our roof and it leaked into the ceiling which subsequently collapsed inside our bedroom. My laptop was right under the water damage zone and was knackered. I managed to get the hard drive out and it was fine, so transferred the old files across.

• Administrators

I never 'quit' as such, it's just by the time I start working on a new version I don't have time to play the older one any more :( 

Depends on so many factors  how many season I get in, but I'd say by average it's around 4-5 seasons of a 'proper' save where I've normally a bit OCD with how much I do within the save. 

I still have all my older saves from earlier versions (back to FM13 on this system but think I have older ones scattered around on some of my home machines) so can always go back. One day...:D 

8 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

Haha, that's dedication. We had a problem with our roof and it leaked into the ceiling which subsequently collapsed inside our bedroom. My laptop was right under the water damage zone and was knackered. I managed to get the hard drive out and it was fine, so transferred the old files across.

At least your hard drive and saves survived.

And then you. :D

(Priorities.)

On 10/07/2018 at 18:07, Colonel Getafe said:

I've not played many seasons yet (not long got back to playing FM after a few years away) but once all the real players have retired out the game in aprox 15 years and it's nothing more than a database of tens of thousands of random regens I lose all and any interest. For me FM was always about getting to manage the real players you see every week - be it semi pros in the conference or the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world; players you can visualize and have some sort of basic connection/identification with. The lack of anything "real" in game of entirely computer generated names/attributes competing in 2073 seems a bit pointless and utterly devoid of any genuine connection to keep my interest IMO.

Worse than this, I get the impression players aren't generated to be very diverse. If you compare an initial database that is supposed to reflect reality with how newgens tend to turn out to me the outcomes appear too narrower.

4 hours ago, davidjai said:

I'm currently at 12 and 8 seasons in 2 saves managing 2 different teams but I guess I won't quit until 20th season.

Do you play two saves on two different machines at the same time? Or switch between the two?

2 小时前, Smkx_Muldoon说:

Do you play two saves on two different machines at the same time? Or switch between the two?

When I get bored of one I will just switch to another.

Took me a while to get over playing the game with regens. I get it's an essential mechanic of the game but for the longest time I used to lose interest when the majority of real players were gone. Now on my 12th season with Bilbao and loving it.  

I've only just bought FM18, so I currently have 50 hours in the game and am in November of my first season... yes, I am a sloooow player.

In FM16 I logged 645 hours and completed 8 seasons (3 as Everton, 5 as Leeds)

14 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

About to start Pre-Season ahead of iirc my 24th season on FM18, my longest ever save. 

Doing anything in particular to have the increased longevity? Is it a one team save or move around?

28 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Doing anything in particular to have the increased longevity? Is it a one team save or move around?

One save, started with Salford the day the beta came out and just stuck with it. 

Been in the PL for 11 out of the last 12 seasons now, not won the title yet, closest I came was the season before last when we finished 2nd, a point off the top. Dropped to 7th last season though due to a ton of injuries all campaign, was pretty crazy but still only six points off first. Was a tight top end of the table. 

So yeah, not done anything differently to extend the save other than just playing through really, I wanted to take them up to the PL from the off though, that was the goal at the start, for it to be a one team save. 

I have my annoyances with the game but I've kinda grown attached to this ragtag group of chaps now so despite wanting to start a new save I'm going to wait until FM19, where I'll go over to the Bundesliga with Leverkusen funnily enough.

Edited by craigcwwe

On 10/07/2018 at 23:07, Colonel Getafe said:

Interestingly, I'm the exact opposite. Once the old guns started retiring, and/or becoming coaches, I started having fun. You'd know it was really your game and no one else's. The new gens are there, the playing field has been leveled a bit, no more Messi and Ronaldo, everyone is responsible for their own future, you've grown with the regens and are starting to identify with them, new managers with new ways of thinking.. 

All these and more, make it why I dread ever restarting.. I just can't go back to Messi and Co again.. Its also the reason why I've always said that saves should be transferable through versions of the game. I'm now attached to my new world. No more telling my mates to keep off signing my targets, as everyone has their own database uniquely theirs. 

The new world is better just like the new testament in the bible

On 17/07/2018 at 10:21, samuelawachie said:

Interestingly, I'm the exact opposite. Once the old guns started retiring, and/or becoming coaches, I started having fun. You'd know it was really your game and no one else's. The new gens are there, the playing field has been leveled a bit, no more Messi and Ronaldo, everyone is responsible for their own future, you've grown with the regens and are starting to identify with them, new managers with new ways of thinking..

I also like playing with regens. In my present save I'm with Lyon in 2033 and I've only got one real player in my squad.

I'm at 21 seasons.  Just resigned from my only club, Stockport County after winning the Prem 8 straight seasons.  Went to the New England Revolution in the MLS - my home town team - who still have never won the league, in an attempt to turn them around after winning just 8 matches the previous year.  Let's see what happens.

1 hour ago, senorcoo said:

I'm at 21 seasons.  Just resigned from my only club, Stockport County after winning the Prem 8 straight seasons.  Went to the New England Revolution in the MLS - my home town team - who still have never won the league, in an attempt to turn them around after winning just 8 matches the previous year.  Let's see what happens.

Same here! I've taken over Orlando City in 2036! I've won 5 titles in a row, but I'm frustrated with the schedule as I also manage the national team and many of my players feature in the USA squad, so it's frustrating when the US matches overlap with MLS games. 

I've finally managed to win the Club World Championship, which got the MLS to overtake the Mexican First Division as the top league in North America! However, I'm struggling to sell my top players to European Clubs even if they're valued in the millions I only get offers in the $200ks. 

I'm playing on FM16 and the US is hardcoded to never advance as a "soccer" nation despite the fact that I've won multiple world cups. Also the superdraft is a pain since the top us talents are untouchable until they're at least 21 for MLS sides. Wish we could do more to improve the MLS academies as well. I think we're close to building a new stadium and after that I don't think I can stomach another 5 seasons of MLS torture as the wage budget is going to implode and the season schedule is crazy with the NACL and Club World Championship carrying over to the next season! 

I do not understand you short term players, WHAT is the point?

One save, all year, journeyman after you get bored of your initial team. I don't understand why you would restart? I'm 30+ years deep currently on FM18.

21 hours ago, metallimuse said:

One save, all year, journeyman after you get bored of your initial team. I don't understand why you would restart? I'm 30+ years deep currently on FM18.

Agree, I'm in my nineteenth season at my sixth club in five different countries. Most of my coaches have been with me for at least my last four clubs. The dynamics are good in this respect as you can build relationships with staff and players which helps when you're looking to sign people.

8 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Agree, I'm in my nineteenth season at my sixth club in five different countries. Most of my coaches have been with me for at least my last four clubs. The dynamics are good in this respect as you can build relationships with staff and players which helps when you're looking to sign people.

Same here with my staff, although for obvious reason's none of them came with me when I dropped down two divisions to try to take a small team up and challenge for the title which is fair enough.

I was heart broken when Alan Hutton, who actually did follow me to Airdrie, left me after 20 odd years and joined Aston Villa's backroom team. #whyalanwhy

Thanks for participating, everybody.

It is a bit surprising that nearly 40% of FM gamers play up to 5 seasons only. That seems an awful short period of time, just to set up a team and then drop it a couple of seasons later...

On the other hand, I understand that regens seem to be an off-putting feature for many gamers, as decades pass by... (and specially when most look exactly like my avatar does! :-) 

My longest career so far is 12 years on FM17 - I won league titles in 3 countries, 2 Champions Leagues, plus the World Cup (with Germany) and Euros (with France). I still have the save but I've reached a point where I can't improve my club team (Schalke) any more, and none of the available jobs appeal to me. It's on hiatus.

Usually I barely last a single season, but once I get into a save I'd say the average is 4 or 5 seasons. 

15 hours ago, phd_angel said:

On the other hand, I understand that regens seem to be an off-putting feature for many gamers, as decades pass by... (and specially when most look exactly like my avatar does! :-) 

Why on earth does it matter what they look like? The basis of the game is the database and assembling a squad to be all concurring. 

I don’t understand why it matters when real players have gone it would be a turn off, does that mean that you guys don’t sign players you’ve never heard of before?

I really enjoy it when newgens start to take over from the real players. That's when it really starts to feel like you're in a FM universe that's unique to you. I have fond memories of some legendary newgens from my FM13 save, even those who had nothing to do with my club.

As for why it matters what newgens look like, let me bring up a comment I made on another thread some time ago.

On 14/10/2017 at 17:07, CFuller said:

Newgen faces play a big role in immersing myself in long-term saves.

If done well, newgens can feel as ‘human’ - for want of a better word - as real-life players, and I can relate to them more. If done badly, the in-game universe feels like a horrible sci-fi programme where all the footballers are gradually replaced by what David Icke would call the Lizard Illuminati.

FM16's faces looked nice. Some of FM17's faces looked reptilian, and some newgens looked like they'd aged terribly.

There were some teething problems with the move from 2D newgen faces to 3D in FM18. There wasn't enough variety in the hairstyles or the faces themselves, and newgens tended to switch ethnicity at the drop of a hat. I'd like to think that aspect of the game will improve significantly from FM19 onwards.

15 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I really enjoy it when newgens start to take over from the real players. That's when it really starts to feel like you're in a FM universe that's unique to you. 

Totally agree with that. I also think that how the newgens look is really important. As I've said elsewhere I use the faces from sortitoutsi's automatic regen replacement pack to give them "proper" faces. 

12 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Totally agree with that. I also think that how the newgens look is really important. As I've said elsewhere I use the faces from sortitoutsi's automatic regen replacement pack to give them "proper" faces. 

Thanks for the face pack tip. Real people faces makes the game look much better. (A shame the pack has minor issues with race and ethnicity, but a big improvement nevertheless).