Quarterfinals: Brazil vs Belgium

PMLF

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Anyway, congrats to Belgium, well deserved win when almost everyone thought Brazil would win.

Belgium was terrible in the second half. Brazil was much better but their finishing was not good.

Just now, Gorando said:

Belgium was terrible in the second half. Brazil was much better but their finishing was not good.

Belgium were great in the first half though, they got tired in the second half but as you say, Brazil's finishing was poor.

I think the result is fair enough.

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Courtois. 

De Bruyne actually. It is kinda insulting though to give a Belgian a Budweiser.... They have much better stuff!

Just now, dking said:

Gutted for Bobby.

He had a whole half to shine and didn't do much, at least he will be well rested for the next season.

Random thoughts

Belgium lucky to win that...Brazil were just not clinical enough and also had some bad luck - possible penalty not given, unlucky rebounds in the box

Neymar was shockingly bad....I'd love to know how many times he lost the ball

Costa brilliant

Courtois...is it just me or is he only good because of how tall and freakin long his arms are....ok he is good but my god his reach is insane.

Based on the entire match it's a correct result. Belgium's second half was very poor but Brazil's finishing was below par as well; they had 2 CCC to equalize but didn't.

When Lukaku got subbed for Tielemans I honestly didn't know what to think. If Brazil equalized those last few minutes we (Belgium)  would've been in big trouble.

Congratulations Belgium, the incredibly on-form front trio of KDB-Hazard-Lukaku, and their bonkers plan of trying to outscore everyone. :cool: I seriously wouldn't mind if they win the whole thing.

However... Brazil didn't really do that much wrong? Had loads of chances, only really failed on their finishing, maybe they could've attacked slightly better, more fluidly, maybe they could've involved their very shy right-back, but it doesn't really feel like there was an awful lot wrong with their gameplan and performance, just mainly unlucky. Knowing them Tite is sacked in the morning, but it doesn't feel like they should throw away all the work done here and start in a new direction yet again.

Bit funny to see Neymar gone already though - has somehow emerged from this WC as an even more unlikeable figure, and not really played all that amazing for the talent he has: it's a massive exaggeration to say he was rubbish, but today often did poor decisions on the ball etc - how many through balls to nowhere did he try to play? You look at the match Hazard and KDB were playing and compare... it's not very favourable for him. Yet I feel for a few other players who were great, like Coutinho with another gloriously sweet assist, Marcelo yet another good game, Miranda-Tiago Silva had a great tournament, Douglas Costa was superb once he came in, etc. This is marketed as Team Neymar +10 but that's so unfair on the depth of talent there.

Meanwhile the French must be loving this, now emerge as the big favs this tournament, I tip them over the Belgians though would probably like the Belgians to win!

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Wasn't out at all 

When the contact was made, the ball was quite clearly out as it was shown. Unless they edited the footage. Which I doubt

14 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Everything I say is 100% accurate though 

ill be pedantic

a brazilian poster who probably knows his country more has said that brazil will blame neyms as he is their star man....

you state that they wont and will blame the manager and referee and call that 100% accurate...

#neymism

17 minutes ago, PMLF said:

He had a whole half to shine and didn't do much, at least he will be well rested for the next season.

He should have been given considerably more time to shine. Jesus was poor all tournament.

Just now, dking said:

He should have been given considerably more time to shine. Jesus was poor all tournament.

As shown today, Firmino probably wouldn't have been a solution though, regardless of how poor Gabriel Jesus was.

1 minute ago, dking said:

Jesus was poor all tournament.

Gabriel Jesus must be one of the tournament's biggest disappointments, we all know he's good but 5 matches as Brazil's striker and 0 goals, he looked nervous every match and essentially did almost nothing. Except for nutmegging Kompany, at least there was that. :D

I'm watching Belgium's second goal. What the hell are Brazilians doing there!? I mean, they just walk around as it's just a shiny Sunday at the park.

4 minutes ago, PMLF said:

As shown today, Firmino probably wouldn't have been a solution though, regardless of how poor Gabriel Jesus was.

I thought Brazil improved after he came on.

oh and that was a definite pen for me!

8 minutes ago, Vynal Seven said:

You need to get yourself a UHD tv mate. 

I have one. Will be able to watch Croatian national TV in 4k in about 15 years. :D

Not sure the split second when Kompany's leg makes contact with Jesus is the decisive factor anyway: the initial lunge is part of the foul (in theory there doesn't even need to be contact if it's deemed careless, reckless or excessive enough), and the ball's definitely on the pitch then.

Still, being denied a stonewall penalty couldn't happen to a more deserving team.

5 minutes ago, dking said:

I thought Brazil improved after he came on.

oh and that was a definite pen for me!

Brazil improved after Douglas Costa came.

It seems Fernandinho is also going to be blamed due to his own goal and apparently making a mistake in the other Belgian goal.

I had always assumed Hazard completing like 50x the dribbles on FM 15 (and turning Chelski into quite the excercise for reloaders til the win) to be a bug. Standing corrected.

xRwBGUM.png

43 minutes ago, Redshift said:

What did he say? Missed it.

Basically said he didn't mock his height he just said as Pickford got fingertips to it he would saved it as he is 10cm higher. I still don't understand what he was originally trying to say or why but anyways he cleared it up.

Interested to see what he does next game now.

That was a back four tonight, and he's spent basically his entire tenure playing a three. I thought Belgium looked alright, but they still gave up some decent chances.

When he did this Lukaku wider thing first time at Everton, he just copied it again for either the next match or one after (think it was the next match), and it sucked because it works vs. specific opposition. Wonder if he's learned from that

Motm for me was Marcelo. Absolutely class going forward and creating chances, just a shame no one else was on the same wavelength.

It's a shame to see Brazil go out. Great to see Neymar out of course but minus him, Brazil are quite a likeable side I think.

Archived