Match Analysis - SI question

I've been doing quite a lot of player analysis recently. One thing that bugged me was on passing stats - I was checking my BPD, why his pass completion was low, on enquiry I checked the highlight for each supposed incomplete pass... and each one was actually a headed clearance from the opposition cross.

I know you don't use Opta measurements, but I checked their classification of a pass and I agree with it, that there should be an intended recipient, so you can distinguish a successful defensive stat (clearance) from an unsuccessful pass.

They have a full list of how they measure all their stats. See below for their list of passing measurements.

Do SI have something similar? It would help analysis. But also, surely it's a bug that a headed clearance can be counted as a bad pass?

736915589_optapasses.thumb.JPG.f7fbf3182d7f48eecf7cc2fe68156609.JPG

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

I've been doing quite a lot of player analysis recently. One thing that bugged me was on passing stats - I was checking my BPD, why his pass completion was low, on enquiry I checked the highlight for each supposed incomplete pass... and each one was actually a headed clearance from the opposition cross.

I know you don't use Opta measurements, but I checked their classification of a pass and I agree with it, that there should be an intended recipient, so you can distinguish a successful defensive stat (clearance) from an unsuccessful pass.

They have a full list of how they measure all their stats. See below for their list of passing measurements.

Do SI have something similar? It would help analysis. But also, surely it's a bug that a headed clearance can be counted as a bad pass?

736915589_optapasses.thumb.JPG.f7fbf3182d7f48eecf7cc2fe68156609.JPG

Excellent question, it is one that I have always thought about and the headed clearance issue has bothered me for a while.

A list of 'definitions' for each stat would be incredibly useful, and yes, the headed clearance/pass has been there a while now. Also, what defines a 'Dribble" ? I also believe corners are included in the 'Crossing' stat.

@Jack Joyce @Lucas Weatherby

Sorry for the tag but I think you are the match engine experts who post here. Any idea...

1) on if there is information available about how match stats are recorded?

2) has a bug ever been raised about headed clearances being counted as incomplete passes? (is it a bug or by design?)

Cheers

Header clearances being counted (failed) passes has been a thing ever since -- that is for me ever since FM 2008. It's noticeable as every time you would opt to drop deep and invite some pressure, the pass completion always went down by the simple virtue of doing such. Just so many added header clearances. Thus droppin deep with some regularity it's harder to miss.

• Administrators

Yeah it's a fair shout and something which perhaps needs some reconsideration - currently in game there aren't recognised 'clearances' and they all count as a 'pass'. Thanks for taking the time to raise it here. 

I realise it might not be easy to do with a simulation like the ME, but even if the stats we see in game are generated along the same lines as IRL, or at least one of the 'big players' in the sports stat world.

If it's not possible, at least a breakdown of what each stat actually measures in the game. 

Not complaining, but it would be helpful.

Archived