Round of 16: Uruguay vs Portugal

PaulHartman71

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, PMLF said:

Neymar is a much more complete player, better technique too, but also is a bigger idiot...

Better dribbling? Let's just say that I don't agree.

The only thing I can see Neymar being better at is passing, but he's so selfish that it doesn't matter in a lot of situations.

You can tell the two centre-halfs play for Atletico Madrid. Brillaintly organised. Godin when he gets back to his hotel tonight will empty his pockets keys, phone, money and they will still feel heavy as he realises Cristiano Ronaldo is in his pocket too. Unbelieveable.

Yeah, not Ronaldo's best game. They all played pretty rubbish really but Ronaldo trying to do everything wasn't helping. 

Great day of football though, really will be my favourite World Cup if it keeps up :thup:

Thank god that's over, the Dutch commentator literally spoke about The Most Overrated Footballer On EarthTM every other sentence. Thanks so much Uruguay, now these two goats can get back into their steed.

I think Ronaldo will carry on until he's ineffective at the top level and we're a ways off that. He's already adapted his game to become more of a box threat and that'll only become more so. He'll be a top level Jamie Cureton :D

8 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

Ronaldo might say he wants to be at the next world cup but i doubt he will be, hes already regressed a lot in the past 2 seasons, don't think he'll be at the level required in 4 years.

With his work rate and the way he takes care of his body, I wouldn't be surprised if he could.

Regarding today's match, most of all I can appreciate Uruguay's cohesiveness. They were not pressed by Portugal because they couldn't play, this is how they like to play. And with this strategy they can mike life really hard for France.

7 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Tis' very sad that today could be the last ever WC performances of Messi and Ronaldo though :(

Considering the way they've been playing, it's a good thing.

I don't want to see Messi/Ronaldo every time opposition scores. I don't want to read about them as if they were the only guys on their teams.
They both had their chances in multiple World Cups and never delivered on the level they do for their clubs.

0 - Neither Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi have scored a goal in a World Cup knockout match:

Ronaldo: 0 goals in 6 games from 25 shots (514 mins)

Messi: 0 goals in 8 games from 23 shots (756 mins)

GOAT level players. Yeah.

I blame Cristiano's facial hair at Portugal being knocked out. Beards and Goatees dont suit him.

Since I read he had a bet with Quaresma over keeping that on his chin as its "good luck" I've seen him miss a penalty against Iran and play football tonight.

Not good luck.

Without surprise, the game went on exactly the same as against Iran. Entire Uruguay's team between Portugal's midfield and forwards, the line of 4 midfielders passing the ball around them from wing to wing with no way to link with the attack.

Difference being that Uruguay actually has 2 top class forwards and Iran didn't.

Guedes completely useless this entire world cup, felt the pressure big time. Not only him obviously, many of the young guys did, but he was the most blatant case. It's easy to say now afterwards, but could have played André Silva instead like he did all the qualifying. His poor season at Milan probably cost him the starting place.

Portugal slipped back into their old habits after the somewhat lucky Euro2016 win...

The team is indeed CR7+10 other dudes. And if Cristiano doesn't deliver (he can't be expected to carry his teammates every single game), nobody has the quality nor the personality to step up.

Kudos to Uruguay for playing their game to a tee, with the usual garra  and the help of two top strikers like Suarez and Cavani. Who'll hopefully recover in time for the QF.

2 ore fa, GunmaN1905 ha scritto:

0 - Neither Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi have scored a goal in a World Cup knockout match:

Ronaldo: 0 goals in 6 games from 25 shots (514 mins)

Messi: 0 goals in 8 games from 23 shots (756 mins)

GOAT level players. Yeah.

Oh come on now...

You know all too well scoring or not scoring in a knockout match can be a matter of "luck" and circumstances that have little to do with how great a player is.

Incidentally Maradona has NEVER scored in a knockout (or equivalent) match before of since the two braces against England and Belgium in WC 1986... He went through a two-years goal drought and he NEVER scored again in an official game from Copa America 1987 to the infamous goal against Greece at USA 94...

0 goals in Copa America 1989, 0 goals at Italia 90...

Then again, who dares to debate his status as possible the Best Footballer ever?

Maradona never had a goalscoring record that was even remotely close to these two.

Both of them have been scoring 50 goals a season for years now, with an average of around 1 goal per game or even better. 

Then you see WC stats and it makes you wonder if they score so much because Primera is a joke or because they have incredibly stacked teams. Barca declines a bit, boom, Messi can't even get to the semis of CL.

I would understand if they didn't come close to their usual averages. But both of them literally never scored in knockouts. And in 5 years they will hold most goalscoring records which will probably be unbreakable.

It's a pity for Portugal, but I thought they actually played really well. They just lacked the creativity and ideas to break down Uruguay's wall. Uruguay was the better side, perhaps they have the best partnership in the back and up front of all the teams in the tournament. Their organisation, work rate and determination throughout the match was impressive and the same goes for the effectiveness finishing off chances. Very curious to see what they will be able to pull off against France because that won't be an easy encounter for the French. 

1 hour ago, Cedrik said:

It's a pity for Portugal, but I thought they actually played really well. They just lacked the creativity and ideas to break down Uruguay's wall. Uruguay was the better side, perhaps they have the best partnership in the back and up front of all the teams in the tournament. Their organisation, work rate and determination throughout the match was impressive and the same goes for the effectiveness finishing off chances. Very curious to see what they will be able to pull off against France because that won't be an easy encounter for the French. 

Yeah...Mbappe and Griezmann > modern day Suarez and Cavani for me, so should be a great game.

Uruguay is absolutely getting the best of their every player.
I was amazed at Caceres and Laxalt's performance last night. Never seen them play so well.

On the other hand, France is still struggling. After taking the lead against Argentina they completely lost control of the game and didn't do anything until they started losing.
Argentina's defense is terrible and made France look better than they actually were. They literally scored from every shot.

It will be a really tough game for them against Uruguay. Cavani also said his injury was minor.

42 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Uruguay is absolutely getting the best of their every player.
I was amazed at Caceres and Laxalt's performance last night. Never seen them play so well.

On the other hand, France is still struggling. After taking the lead against Argentina they completely lost control of the game and didn't do anything until they started losing.
Argentina's defense is terrible and made France look better than they actually were. They literally scored from every shot.

It will be a really tough game for them against Uruguay. Cavani also said his injury was minor.

Caceres looked well because Uruguay played a la Mourinho. Under Simone Inzaghi's offensive play, he's more exposed.

Laxalt looked well because the rest of the team was better than Genoa.

Archived