England V Belgium 1900 BST ITV1 + Tunisia V Panama ITV4

decapitated

3 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Love all the theories that we actually tanked the game, as opposed to simply having a team of players that couldn't pass or finish particularly well and weren't motivated to put a Herculean effort in to make up for it.

Almost like they've never watched England play in a knockout tournament before.

As if we were trying at the end :D We had crosses going in and nobody bothering to go into the box ffs.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, daylight said:

Did he really?

If he said that then FIFA should take action, I don't have ITV here so I haven't seen it.

When asked "if you really wanted to win you would have brought on Kane?"

Southgate "of course". Then mentioned something about the knockouts being more important

Yeah, and every manager that admits he didn't risk bringing his big name player on in the League Cup match because of the weekend derby is admitting they wanted to lose. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

As if we were trying at the end :D We had crosses going in and nobody bothering to go into the box ffs.

I guess we were trying to get knocked out against Iceland as well then...

1 minute ago, AJJ said:

That's strange. You fit the description to a T.

Some grade A banter here people. 

In all seriousness, I don't think many of us seriously think we will win it, so prolonging our stay is the name of the game. The Semis would be seen as a massive achievement on par with our second best tournament ever (it's not even like the other side is likely to offer an easier Semi either with possibly France). This side of the draw now gives us the best chance. Brazil IMO is the team to avoid. If Colombia beat us, so be it but Brazil would have likely make light work of a team Colombia is capable of beating anyway so I don't think anything is lost by this result today.

2 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

Some grade A banter here people. 

In all seriousness, I don't think many of us seriously think we will win it, so prolonging our stay is the name of the game. The Semis would be seen as a massive achievement on par with our second best tournament ever (it's not even like the other side is likely to offer an easier Semi either with possibly France). This side of the draw now gives us the best chance. Brazil IMO is the team to avoid. If Colombia beat us, so be it but Brazil would have likely make light work of a team Colombia is capable of beating anyway so I don't think anything is lost by this result today.

This

If we get booted by Colombia then chances are that we'd only have made it one step further anyway, and is a QF all that amazing? Sure, we'd have probably taken that beforehand but it's hardly one for the generations.

It's all moot anyway as we won't know if it was the right decision or whether this is the easier run. In another reality perhaps we got humped 4-0 by Japan...

39 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Come off it

More shots, more on target and better chances in general than Italy's first team in the first leg qualifier, against better opposition and with the incentive to conserve energy and avoid bookings.

Guess you guys were nearly as desperate not to be here as we were to avoid Brazil... :D 

10 minutes ago, AJJ said:

We won't get by Columbia. With or without James. Cuardado will have Ashley Young on toast and they have much more guile and creativity than us in midfield. 

This is the same Young that had Salah in his back pocket...

14 minutes ago, AJJ said:

We won't get by Columbia. With or without James. Cuardado will have Ashley Young on toast and they have much more guile and creativity than us in midfield. 

I like Quintero and he does have creativity but without James I really don't think they have any more than England. They can still win, but they looked fairly toothless today and only scored from a set piece that Senegal looked disorganised from because of a sub.

It's hard to rate Colombia properly. They played the majority of the game against Japan with 10 men and Poland looked an absolute shambles. Today they really weren't impressive and Senegal really should have punished them.

They have quality and can beat us for sure, but if we can't beat the likes of them we shouldn't be anywhere near the quarters or semis.

20 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

More shots, more on target and better chances in general than Italy's first team in the first leg qualifier, against better opposition and with the incentive to conserve energy and avoid bookings.

Guess you guys were nearly as desperate not to be here as we were to avoid Brazil... :D 

Don't even know what Italy has to do with it. Especially as the circumstances were totally different. In fact, everything was different.

Just deflecting the discussion away from the rubbish you came out with to make it seem as if England didn't throw the game.

13 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

This is the same Young that had Salah in his back pocket...

Young is all right foot though. We have zero balance on the left side and Columbia will exploit that.

Also a stuttering Columbia is still a far tougher test than Panama and Tunisia. 

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Don't even know what Italy has to do with it. Especially as the circumstances were totally different. In fact, everything was different.

Just deflecting the discussion away from the rubbish you came out with to make it seem as if England didn't throw the game.

So you honestly think we threw the game?

Both teams would have been happy with finishing second. Just England managed it.

Forgot how you get there and break down both paths, would you choose Brazil, the "easier path" or flip a coin as it doesn't matter. You'd always go the "easier" path.

It was a second team which wont have any bearing on Tuesday. It'll be England's first 11 v Columbia.

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

It baffles me that some on here actually believe England threw the game.

Both sides rested players for the next round, make no mistake though, both sides wanted the win.

7 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Yeh I think so. It wasn't particularly blatant - not like the bits I've seen in Italy over the years - but some of the stuff in that game was comical.

put it this way, England tried to give Belgium a hand when it came to scoring a goal. 

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

I'd think that as a fan of a side that played even worse whilst actually desperately trying to win an easier game you might grasp the possibility sides are capable of playing badly in dead rubbers without actively trying to lose. Especially since it's England and we have form for our first team doing this in important games too. I mean, if you're actively trying to lose you probably don't bother creating one on ones or clearing off the line, and we actually made far worse defensive errors in recent friendlies.

Not everything is as fixed as Italian football :D

Coming soon: Batshuayi was actually aiming for his own face.

17 minutes ago, daylight said:

It baffles me that some on here actually believe England threw the game.

Both sides rested players for the next round, make no mistake though, both sides wanted the win.

Fully agree with this. It clearly wasn't viewed as a must win and there wasn't a huge amount of urgency, but both teams obviously wanted a win.

Neither team played particularly well and it played like a friendly, but every team wants to win friendlies as well.

Christ. We didn't throw the game ffs. It was 2 reserve teams half arsing it. Both were as bad as each only difference Belguim managed to score a nice goal. 

We lacked quality and played it long too much. That doesn't mean we threw the game. Means we were just crap

Basically whoever lost tonight would have been accused of playing for 2nd. Januzai skies it and Rashford scores instead and we'd all be digging Belguim out for throwing it. 

This is why I wanted to win and I wanted to play a stronger side. We will probably lose to Colombia now and everyone will blame this game

5 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Christ. We didn't throw the game ffs. It was 2 reserve teams half arsing it. Both were as bad as each only difference Belguim managed to score a nice goal. 

We lacked quality and played it long too much. That doesn't mean we threw the game. Means we were just crap

Basically whoever lost tonight would have been accused of playing for 2nd. Januzai skies it and Rashford scores instead and we'd all be digging Belguim out for throwing it. 

This is why I wanted to win and I wanted to play a stronger side. We will probably lose to Colombia now and everyone will blame this game

Noticed this as well and it confused me. It wasn't like we were under pressure when doing it, Belgium we're pressing us a massive amount to cause that. 

Jeez chill out peeps. If we go out then it's an expected England performance. If we get to the Quarters and further than people will say it's not bad. Our front half of the team is great but everything behind it is hardly in the world class category and we've known that from the start. If we can't beat Columbia then we wouldn't be beating Brazil anyway.

Now, where's that coming home thread... :)

If you think you're gonna walk through Switzerland, then you haven't watched them enough. They defend exceptionally well and with your defense, they'll kill you on counter attacks. 

If James was healthy, Colombia would give England tough time as well. Even now, i'm 55/45 on you beating them. 

20 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

As if we're going to lose a game against a team who plays Januzaj :D:D:D

This is going to be such an odd game.  The result doesn't really matter, it's not a friendly either so it's all a bit weird. 

I'll be cheering the usual England goals, but I think i'll also be cheering Belgium's goals. 

odd game. 

Only one page in my catch up - this is delightful :D:D

All in good faith my friend :)

I'm glad we won. Quarter final at euro 2016 and going out against Wales was awful. Going out in the quarters to Brazil would not leave a sour taste and if we beat them it'd be on par with our greatest ever World Cup achievement and we'd be favorites for the final I reckon.

Now watch us get beaten by Japan obviously.

8 minutes ago, RubenJ said:

I'm glad we won. Quarter final at euro 2016 and going out against Wales was awful. Going out in the quarters to Brazil would not leave a sour taste and if we beat them it'd be on par with our greatest ever World Cup achievement and we'd be favorites for the final I reckon.

Now watch us get beaten by Japan obviously.

What's the mood like over there? You got through as comfortably, probably the most comfortably of all the teams so far. 

Actually taking about winning it? 

Your squad is fantastic, still not sure Martinez knows how to get he best out of it yet. 

8 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Is Batshuayi back at Chelsea or have Dortmund agreed to sign him permanently?

Still technically a Dortmund player as his loan will expire tomorrow. But he's going back to Chelsea. 

45 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

What's the mood like over there? You got through as comfortably, probably the most comfortably of all the teams so far. 

Actually taking about winning it? 

Your squad is fantastic, still not sure Martinez knows how to get he best out of it yet. 

People feel confident, rightly considered just below the absolute favorites for the tournament. With Kompany hopefully back now in place for Boyata, we have a pretty stellar 11.

Don't think too many people mind we won the group either. Literally everyone I know will be rooting for Colombia now though :D

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:47, RubenJ said:

People feel confident, rightly considered just below the absolute favorites for the tournament. With Kompany hopefully back now in place for Boyata, we have a pretty stellar 11.

Don't think too many people mind we won the group either. Literally everyone I know will be rooting for Colombia now though :D

From what I hear from people around me almost everyone kinda expects us to easily beat Japan and be eliminated after Brazil. (with a cautionate "but Brazil haven't been playing that great so far")

Also when you realistically look at the tournement I feel France, Uruguay, Croatia, (home team) Russia and (maybe even) Mexico had a more impressive tournement than us so far. You got to be honest, Belgium-England was a game between 2 reserve sides, and with Panama and Tunisia our group was maybe the weakest of the first round.

A bit surprised the Colombia comment. Because again "in my surroundings" nobody really seems to care about England, whether they win the thing or not, as they were "just an opponent in the group phase"

When I visit these boards it seems like the Belgium-England rivalry is actually a thing? :D

Belgium-England rivalry isn't a thing at all.

It's just we both played weakened sides and the perception is it benefited England more, if England went further it would lead to people feeling it was more justified. It's just a nonsense

Archived