Group F Conclusion - Korea Republic VS Germany & Mexico VS Sweden (3pm BST)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading the permutations for this and I don't fully understand what is going on. Germany are currently 2nd on head to head (GD and GS between Germany and Sweden is the same). So surely Germany just need to at least equal Sweden's result to go through. But BBC Sport have this line:

"Sweden are guaranteed to qualify if they win or better Germany's result. If they beat Mexico and Germany fail to win, Sweden will top the group." 

That's not right is it? Sweden aren't guaranteed to qualify if they win, they have to win by more than Germany do?

16 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

That's not right is it? Sweden aren't guaranteed to qualify if they win, they have to win by more than Germany do?

Yeah not right, Sweden are through if they win by 2 clear goals because that would put them ahead of Mexico in a 3 way H2H table if Germany also win 

Sweden gets more points than Germany if they better their result. - Timple enough.

If they win and Germany doesn't, that would automatically mean they have a better goal difference. - They're on top of the group.

If both Sweden and Germany win 1-0, then it's 3  teams with 3-2 GD. - That's when stuff gets complicated.

If they win with some other result, they both have better GD than Mexico.

8 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

Now im confused. So if Sweden and Germany Wins then Mexico gets Knocked out Due to head to head?

Only if Sweden win by 2 clear goals 

• Germany 0-1 Mexico
  • Germany 2-1 Sweden
  • Sweden 2-0 Mexico

Would mean

1. Sweden +1
  2. Germany 0
  3. Mexico -1 

1-0 would result in them all having 0 GD, so it would go down to GD as a group of 4 I believe which Sweden would have the worst 

If Germany and Sweden both win, it would see Mexico, Germany and Sweden all finish on six points and then it comes down to GD. This would be the first time in the three points for a win era that someone has got six points and still gone out.

likewise if South Korea and Mexico both win, Mexico would be on 9 and the others would all be on 3. So that would be the first time that someone has got only three points and still gone through.

Actually I think the BBC are right, a 1-0 win should see Sweden through as well, would mean

• Germany 0-1 Mexico
  • Germany 2-1 Sweden
  • Sweden 1-0 Mexico

1. Germany 0 (2 Goals)
  2. Sweden 0 (2 Goals)
  3. Mexico 0 (1 Goal)

Mexico could still go through though with a high scoring 1 goal loss 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Button said:

Who for? my apps are showing Goretzka to play on the right, which I imagine is wrong. :D

Goretzka is starting on the right it appears. 

Reus left, Ozil at no.10 and Goretzka RW. 

Edited by craigcwwe

I quite like that Germany lineup, and think it more or less should be the team going forward if they replace Khedira. Touch wood there's a comfortable win.

10 sec into the game first yellow.

I already see where this game is going.

Khedira is so bad.

And these German kits are fantastic.

Ochoa catches the ball outside of the box and not even a yellow.

Edited by GunmaN1905

How is Gundogan and Brandt especially not playing? Brandt has looked Germany's most dangerous player comfortably despite only getting barely 20mins.

Decision to leave Sane out looks shocking now.